Can we agree that no language will ever be able to replace C?

Can we agree that no language will ever be able to replace C?

Attached: 1413777090510.png (1920x1080, 1.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

urbit.org/posts/overview/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ruby is cute

yes

What about Go? It's suppose to be fast enough, and isn't Google programming its Linux-killing kernel in it?

No language will succeed at replacing C, but they'll keep trying. Developers are incredibly novelty-seeking, and the idea of "Well gee, if we just had a new language with the right syntax and abstractions and features, all our problems would be solved! We wouldn't have to do any of the hard boring shit anymore and we could just write new features all day!" is way too attractive to them, even though it's false.

Are you talking about Fuchsia?
Source? Sounds interesting.

A team of inspired individuals could do it but why bother?

expanded

Attached: lang.png (2560x1080, 1.55M)

javascript
/thread

i have become intimate with a few of those languages so why am I still a virgin

this is fun!

Attached: meme.png (2560x1528, 1.99M)

Javascript = onion monster

Make Rust a disgusting tranny

ok

Attached: meme.png (2560x1528, 1.77M)

This much should be obvious.

Attached: 1234.png (2560x1528, 2.03M)

Add in lisp as a wizzard

* a withard

Javascript, you liking it or not.

BASED

Attached: 1529640527922.png (2560x1528, 2.35M)

Maybe. You pretty much have to have an assembler for any new architecture. Once you have one, "C" is easy to bring up.

C++ literally replicates C. ASM/forth/smollangs literally replicate C. Golang/D literally fail to replicate any meaningful part of C.

If we're basing it on those images perhaps C# or Python. Blondes are God Tier
>inb4 shell
Fucking knife ears

C has been there for almost 50 years. It's not going away anytime soon. It's a portable assembly language for von Neumann architecture computers.

Unless we significantly change paradigm away from that, I don't see why we would replace C.

Go is not a C replacement. Almost no one migrated from C to Go. It's mostly former Python and Ruby developers, who have a much faster language, with easier deployment (static binaries), ease of use and not too many sharp edges. It won't kill Python but it might completely kill what remains of Ruby. Keep that in mind when comparing Go to Java. It's not a Java alternative, it's an upgrade from Python.

Rust is not a C replacement either. It's an alternative to C++, just like D. It will predictably have the same success as D.

>still no lisp

Python, Java and C are the cutest
Heh, these are actually the only languages worth using from this picture

There is no disagreement, only brainlets spouting nonsense.

Rust is a perfectly viable C replacement.

Being designed by Rob Pike and Ken Thompson is enough to make it an interesting language

Assembly a cute.

make fortran goatse

>What about Go?
It's an old image and doesn't include newer languages.
>Linux-killing kernel in it?
No. They're using C, C++ and Rust. Go is good for network backends and console utilities, not systems programming.

>COBOL a fucking cool warlock
Maybe I should check COBOL I guess.

if programming is magic, then cobol is basically necromancy

C++ already has and Rust could replace C++

>C is assembly
yeah nah

That depends entirely on if we get new OSes.

The things I would do to PHP-tan

Ruby Scala and Javascript are cutest and best meaning i shoukd use those languages?

C++ already did.

If you can Ruby and Scala are languages that is loved by those using them.

always thought that the C girl should actually be LISP tbqh

I wanna fuck Perl so bad...

Attached: 1500564892457.png (110x99, 9K)

Why? Perl looks like a boy? Do C or Python

Y-yes, she looks like a b-boy...

Attached: 1502297054394.png (465x404, 291K)

>looks like a boy
That's a good thing, isn't it?

C for everyday day is OK-ish, for high performance stuff is the best, the only problem is creating anything a little bit complex requires 10 times the work in c

Java Script is a cute trap desu, would smash.

Not if you're straight and want to fuck it

So, you like that blurry line between girl and boy?

I dislike girly girls and I'd like to date a boy or a tomboy.

Attached: 1519926712148.png (1024x1024, 995K)

What is it with boyish girls?

I'm highly misogynistic so only boyish girls are attractive to me. They "escape" the concept of femininity I'm used to.

Attached: 1505458169482.jpg (2670x4096, 623K)

Ah, ok

>*Blocks your path*
What do

Attached: 1DA82ECE-7A66-46C4-BDAD-4F7D8149BAFC.jpg (480x360, 20K)

It's true though. C is the lowest-level language you could possibly make that's still portable across different architectures.

R's aniki, but R-tan has turned out to be smarted than him.

Attached: rchan.png (221x441, 62K)

Have you considered homosexuality?

>considered homosexuality
Unless he is bisexual, I don't think can just turn on a switch in his brain to start liking dick.

I'm just saying, if he outright hates girls and is "highly misogynistic", maybe he should experiment a bit with guys

Just go suck a cock and be finally happy.

I think they used Go for the package manager.

I see you haven't heard of forth then.

Attached: programming_languages_cartoon.png (2251x3703, 2.71M)

>C wearing an extravagant dress instead of a minimalist t-shirt and sweatpants

What would Brainfuck look like?

Attached: FO1_Fire_critical_hit.gif (64x109, 50K)

Forth is higher-level than C because it can create new abstractions at runtime

>Go is good for network backends and console utilities, not systems programming.
That's what systems programming is, and Rust is not better at it.

Of course rust is better at it, its just also terrible.

Rust threads are 30% slower than real threads, or worse

There's a lot of ways to handle threads in rust, they vary.

I DEMAND SOMEONE MAKE KOTLIN-CHAN

i hate python btw, i just like this image

guess I'm learning scala owo

Attached: python.gif (400x480, 124K)

Hah actually included VHDL, nice

Jai will

C-chan is a literal goddess, she's the mother of all the other langs

>languages aren't separated by major versions which dramatically altered the landscape
fucking useless artists

I'm actually bi. Boys are better.

Attached: 1503659129241.jpg (1000x707, 493K)

TOP KEK! I love this board. Also, include Fortran and Lisp, please!

i rike iit\\

>Lua
I fucking hate post-weatern artists so much

>That's what systems programming
Then what kernel and drivers fall under? This watered-down use of the term promoted by Nim and Go has really become popular I see, but systems programming means you should be able to build your system bottom-up in this language not just applications. In case you didn't know there's an operating system developed purely in Rust, Redox.

There's an OS developed purely in Haskell too, but it generally isn't considered a systems language.

Regarding OP, we have had a superior replacement for C in the form of Ada for decades. The industry is just retarded when it comes to language choice. (See: PHP, Javascript.) OP is a faggot as usual.

>can't just turn on a switch
trap threads do that tho

Forever is a very long time. Should civilization survive, our descendants' systems 1000 years from now will probably look more like Urbit than Unix. Once Unix goes, C will soon follow.

>Urbit
At least once a year I go to that site and read all their shit for an hour or three, and to this day I've never been able to figure out what the fuck they're talking about. I always get the impression that it was designed and built under the influence of powerful mind-altering drugs, and you have to be also if you're to make any sense of it.

1. "C is portable assembly" has not been true since optimizing compilers were invented. Your language isn't a portable assembly language if the compiler is clever enough to optimize entire loops away.
2. You can easily create a lower-level portable programming language by actually modeling it after CISC assembly. Removing functions and arithmetic expressions is a good start. There have been languages like that.

I think urbit.org/posts/overview/ is pretty lucid.

when was visual basic ever relevant

Is the artist trying to convince me to use Elixir?

is actionscript even alive these days?
>php 68kg, no blood group
why is she so bloat

php is fat!!

>Urbit doesn't compete with Unix and the Internet.
>Your urbit is a Unix process, in a data center or your PC.
Oh, great Unix will be around for 1000 years.

It doesn't compete with Unix directly, it just makes it completely replaceable.

Go is pretty sweet. It has good C-like syntax and you can go low-level with it if you want to. You can also compile it to singular statically linked binaries which is amazing for deploying/distributing your software and lets you tweak compilation options for better performance.

static binaries and link time optimization's not that special. Golang's always going to have the GC though so not a complete replacement for C.

That's a fair point, so no a perfect replacement, but probably the best we are gonna get for a while, or at least one with the best support and collection of libraries for essentially anything and everything.