/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkPad_X200_Libreboot.jpg (940x1000, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/A-performance-comparison-of-all-new-ThinkPad-notebooks.286486.0.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ritsu wants to sell her T420 so she can get a smaller, much nicer X220.

Will you buy it from her?

Attached: Ritsu_offers_her_T420.jpg (1000x563, 92K)

So, any advice?

still wondering about this

get an X230 instead

Um, excuse me, um, I'm sorry, erm, yes, um, your name, um, A... A, Anonymous, was it? Um, it's a v-very nice name, um, your, happy, um, mother, lucky, have you, son, erm, I'm sorry, if, erm, I am, um, stubborn, and, um, intruding, um, A-Anonymous, um, if you, a second, have, um, listen, can, please? I, um, think, I see, you, alone, a lot, I see you, a lot, a lot, um, I see, alone, ermmm, I see you alone a lot, um, kind of, erm, myself, um, I, am, think, alone too, um, lonely, um, friends, have not, um, I think, um, h-how say, can I? Um, w-when two alone, um, if are, together, not alone, together. Um, I think, um, help and, and, and, support, one, another, support one another, um, nice things, have, have nice things, yes, I, I, I, I like, nice things, aahhh, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, I'm, s-s-s-sorry, um, A-Anonymous, I, I, just wanted, to ask, c-c-could you buy my t420??

Attached: file.png (1108x1500, 1.22M)

I just bought a x220 tablet. Red pill me, was this a mistake? Is it that much worse from x220 non-tablet? Should I ask for refund right away before they ship?

Attached: Capture.png (1491x690, 382K)

>no HDD or battery
>4gb ram

Decent CPU but I wouldnt have paid over $100 for that.

Ryzen A and E-series Thinkpads when?

I mean it's not that bad... It's just kind of what happens when you make a bunch of compromises. But if you have to ask then yes you shouldn't get the tablet.

I was gonna upgrade the HDD and the ram anyways.

Battery is a concern, and I didn't look at that before. I'm comparing the spec sheets, and the tablet only supports up to a 6-cell battery, which is good for like, 4 hours?

Is the battery being limited to 6-cell the only compromise? Or is there more?

>no girl will ever recite this to you, word for word
what else is left

It's more phat than the non-tablet

It is significantly bigger than the non-tablet X-series. It is nearly the same size as the 14" laptops. 90% of the IPS screens in the tablets are low quality and have bad ghosting/image retention. And yes it's limited to the 6-cell battery unless you go third-party. For a tablet it is very big and heavy. For an Ultraportable it is also very big and heavy, while having less battery life.

So it's not a good ultraportable and it's not a good tablet.

>New Thinkpads only have 1 year warranty
What the fuck? really?

Rate my work set up.

>>T440p docked as permanent desktop setup (getting a 32inch monitor tomorrow.)
>>X220 for when I have to take care of tickets, etc.

Attached: IMG_20180621_154935.jpg (4208x3120, 3.04M)

the point of docks is so that you can plop it off and go mobile if you need to...

X1C6

>Xeon Performance @ 44W
>Undervolted
>Liquid Metal Pasted
>WQHD
>Powerbank for a total of 156Wh of battery
>USB-C master race

Attached: x1c6.png (725x515, 308K)

> (You)
>the point of docks is so that you can plop it off and go mobile if you need to...
I know but that's why I have my x220. The t440p is too big for me to take around, and my boss won't buy me a desktop so I just imagine it is.

Enjoy your bright crisp IPS display and enjoy being able to read hentai at the correct aspect ratio
tablet masterrace here

>turn the page to your hentai
>can still read the last page because of the image retention
wow! what a great feature!

It's really not that bad. Worth it for the amazing colors and not having to scroll

lmao i have a similar setup but with an X61t instead of an X220.
I still carry the T440p sometimes when i need that sweet 8h battery life though, if not then X61t allday erryday

you can get a chink tablet that does the same thing for much cheaper and infinitely more comfortable

won't run linux though
and with the memepad you only need to carry one device.
Tablets are worthless

For me, it's the X61

Attached: IMG_0058.jpg (3024x4032, 1.91M)

weeaboo freak.

Any motherboard or processor upgrades for x220s?

No, other than manual soldering with a rework station you're SoL. X210 from 51nb might be up your alley though.

>i5 8250u
>2560×1440 screen
>no dedicated GPU
>base RAM (8GB) and SSD (128GB)
>cost equivalent to ~US$1150
I thought i was pretty happy with the configuration, but why does not having a dGPU make me feel so uncertain about this? It feels like I am missing out on something.

Light gaming is a possibility sometimes but I don't expect a laptop to be able to do much beyond strategy/sim games. Most intensive I will probably do would be virtual piano/instrument shit plugging into my stage piano, and i doubt that will be very CPU intensive at all (more about SSD than CPU really). Then eventually general uni shit once I go back to school this September. This laptop is basically two weeks of my tiny paycheck with overtime.

I can still cancel the order without paying some retarded restocking fee or something right? Or am I doing okay by not getting the (gimped Max-Q version) MX150?

Attached: Capture.jpg (1180x705, 75K)

Should've went for the top i7. It's soldered so you won't be able to upgrade it ever again, might as well get the best you can.

you can swap out the motherboard for the one with the i7/USB3.0, sure

so I was checking my x230 I got

the fan seemed loud and continuous

downloaded tpfancontrol and realised its the dinosaur HDD drive. lol. Gonna plop in a SSD tonight.

this memepad is nice.

Well, I can't request cancellation without a good reason on ebay. Any ideas for what I can say?

Or should I just wait for it to arrive, and try it out on my own? I feel like I'd make use of its tablet functionality, and I'm not too keen on super tiny laptops. However if the ghosting is bad, or if the screen is too reflective, I'm gonna return it.

There aren't really any decent ones, amd hasn't made a good mobile chip for a while until ryzen.

I'd get a core 2 quad, no poz threading.
Windows 10 :c

Where's the trap.

Attached: FaceApp_1528339143524.jpg (1280x1280, 680K)

Can "the trap" post the selfie of him/her in the grey hoodie? It's a cute pic, also post more qt selfies

I look and feel terrible right now.
>I've been kinda sick this week.

Attached: IMG_20180621_234556.jpg (2400x3200, 1.57M)

Remind me why Thinkpads are vulnerable to the year 2038 problem? Last I checked we had 64-bit processors and 64-bit operating systems.

(1) The T420 has a 1600x900 display
(2) Ritsu is asking less than $120, or $200 and a blowjob

a) Statement 1 is sufficient for you to buy the T420, but Statement 2 is not

b) Statement 2 is sufficient for you to buy the T420, but Statement 1 is not

c) Both statements TOGETHER are sufficient for you to buy the T420

d) EITHER statement is sufficient for you to buy the T420

e) NEITHER statement is sufficient for you to buy the T420

one of the stupidest things I've heard in awhile

Still at my parents with my makeshift station. x220 is best when gangbanged from all sides.

Attached: 634.jpg (1755x987, 132K)

I put High Sierra on my x220, at what point am I going to be arrested and sent to The Hague to face crimes against humanity charges?

If you care about having good battery, get the non-tablet

Get a docking station my dude

Nah, at my parents place out in the country.

Not like I do this everyday. Got my rig waiting for me at home.

Attached: ahhhh.jpg (4160x2340, 2.36M)

You look like shit.

That's niggerlicious.

Yeah, figured as much. Still, the priority is build quality for me, if I could cover those needs with a crummy old i3 and making my scripts not shit, I can probably manage with something like an A10 and go to a desktop whenever I need more power.

I do have a C2D laptop stashed, though it's a POS pavilion DV4 that manages to throttle its T6600, I've entertained the idea of putting a lower voltage processor with a bit more power but I wouldn't really know if it'd be compatible with the mobo and honestly the only things that laptop has going for it are that the keyboard is nice and the 16:10 screen, otherwise it's finicky and has a shot up trackpad.

Anyhow, if I get anywhere I'll try to post my findings in case anybody is on the same situation. Thanks user.

Attached: 1516096698851.gif (645x773, 9K)

Anyone had any luck with the cheap chink x200t batteries?

>Libreboot-compatible models:
>>T60 (check lcd)
What does this mean?

Some panels on the t60, don't work with libreboot.

Anyone know where to get the x200 Chinese clone?

Attached: dims.jpg (500x333, 60K)

i just bought pic related. its ips.

Attached: D698C949-422F-4E16-BEC1-A3D560A4ECD4.jpg (750x120, 19K)

You got jewed lol

I payed $90 for a x220 with a i7 and IPS over a year ago.

Can you refund?

I'm sorry this comment I made was mean. I apologize, but you overpaid.

Seriously I hope I didn't ruin your day. The x230 is a very nice machine. Just not worth €429.

WTF YOU GOT SCAMMED

I currently have an x220 with 4GB of RAM and I'd like to upgrade it.
Do you suggest to just go for another 4GB stick? Or maybe buy a 8GB stick to get to 12GB and then upgrade again later to 16meme?

I guess 8 total is enough by maybe you have some good advice

>€429

That's way too much. I'd rather just spring for a W530 or W540/W541.

off yourself

You actually paid a bit too much my friend.
But don't listen to the US niggers, refurbished Thinkpads in Europe are always a good amount more expensive than over there.

Buying a T470 next month. Anyone running an egpu on the TB3 port has experience to share? Would be running Debian stable.

The DVD drive on my T420 keeps popping open by itself. Could this be driver-related or is this more likely a hardware issue?
I'm running Debian stable (Stretch).

Not the best deal but don't let this discourage you.

Not nearly that much more expensive. That's 25-33% more than the top-end I'd pay for an extra-mint, immaculate condition model.
t. european

Go into bios and don't do anything. If it pops out then it's possibly a hardware issue.

Can someone tell me what the fuck this is and how I can fix this

Attached: s-l400.jpg (400x300, 23K)

I fucking got my X200s boys

Attached: IMG_20180622_120719.jpg (2372x2437, 1.34M)

love you mom

>i7 on the T480
because of the thermals, it's actually useless on the T480. Even the i5 gets throttled down, the heatsink was just not meant for a quadcore which is a fucking pity.
notebookcheck.net/A-performance-comparison-of-all-new-ThinkPad-notebooks.286486.0.html

actually i should probably just cancel because of this.

I packed your t410s with a extra battery in the ultrabay, now don't be late for school.

Do you want me to drive you to soccer practice, or are you going with your friend Johnny user.

Why the fuck is this shit so commonplace nowadays?
>here homothin i7 laptop with 9999cores pls buy
>lmao jk it'll throttle because the cooling isn't adequate even though we designed the fucking laptop ourselves XD

How do I flash these bios images with linux?

because of how Intel rates their TDPs. Intel rates their TDPs at the stock clocks, not including any boost or turbo clocks.
AMD TDPs actually include the turbo clocks taken into account.

What the duck

How is inadequate cooling in any way the fault of intel? This is shit that should've been tested for way before it ever went to production, and the blame lies squarely with Lenovo & other OEMs guilty of it.

Intel refuses to release info on the TDP of their chips including boost clocks, so manufacturers have to shoot in the dark or build the cooling solution for Intel's rated TDP.

That doesn't mean they have to release it in that state. Nobody is to blame for an OEM releasing products in that condition but the OEM.

>That doesn't mean they have to release it in that state.
Yes they do. They have deadlines to meet. They can't spend extra time engineering shit because a part supplier withheld information on a crucial part.

No they don't, they choose to release it like that and they are to blame.
Lol, that's some Tyrone level shifting of blame.

That's some republican level of blame shifting.

it doesn't ghost, it just has minor ips retention.
The saturated colors and viewing angles more than make up for it imo
The tablet version is the best version of the x220 hands down

there's an x200 Chinese clone?
also tfw x200s

Attached: 2018-06-21-234240_631x281_scrot.png (631x281, 34K)

did you get the 900p one?

(OP)
>Would a used Thinkpad (pic related) without an OS be a good platform to download Kali and dip my foot into ethical hacking/learning defensive measures against hacking?

Attached: Screenshot_20180622-074801.png (1080x1920, 578K)

>place blame on the companies offering for sale a laptop with insufficient cooling to even run at capacity
>shifting blame
???
What did he mean by this?

T480s with 8250u seems to be fine

This graph is useless, I actually own the i7 T480s and I can guarantee it's faster than i5 as long it's undervolted and repasted. Benchmark sites are fucking useless.

I'm writing to you from my own x200 (2009). It doesn't have an i series processor, but has 4GB memory and is pretty decent for personal use stuff. I wouldn't run a demanding OS on it though. I'm getting into digital art, so the tablet is nice. I think you'll be happy with your purchase user. Have a nice day :)

Was looking to invest in a new T580 with 32gb of ram, any recommendations or am I solid?

Nice digits. Why 32GB RAM though? That seems like overkill.

I'm going to be running VMs often, working with C and some network admin stuff like Cisco's packet tracer.
I'd rather have too much instead of not enough.

Thanks for the advice. The DVD drive seems to work fine in the BIOS config screen, but then acts up once Debian is booted up. But the behaviour has become very inconsistent, it sometimes pops out once and then stops working altogether. Not sure what to do next...
It still has a couple of months of warranty left, so there's that option too.

tfw x61t, ten years and still going strong

Attached: a.jpg (608x231, 93K)

>hand not black

I've fallen in love with the X250. Coming from a T420 I thought I wouldn't be able to separate from those amazing keys and sturdy feel, but the X250 more than makes up for it with a keyboard that's still fantastic, while being much more portable.
Granted, part of me wishes I had shelled out for the T470s b/c of it still being slim and having the magnesium roll cage, but 2.5X the price was outside my range at the time. Perfectly satisfied.

Attached: lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x250-back-cover-8.jpg (1060x596, 91K)

>tfw no ryzen X-series
fuck dual core ulv shits from incel

until the caps blow out kek

>tfw looking 2 months for x220 in my shithole country and the price is either too high or its rekt so hard theres only two buttons left

Attached: 1529096810700.jpg (764x512, 200K)