NVidia and GPU prices

How did NVidia manage to screw up so badly? What went wrong?

We had sky-high GPU prices for months and months and the "news outlets" told us nothing but stories about how "miners" were buying all them GPUs. AMD cards were absent in stores for a long time and when they were available they were highly overpriced and quickly sold out. NVidia GPU prices went up too, but not as much as AMD GPU prices, but they went up a lot and prices are still somewhat high. Because.. miners?

Iturns out that NVidia currently has a record high inventory of GPU chips and board partners too have a big pile of current generation NVidia chips, specially the mid- and low end chips (1030/1050/1060). This is the real reason their next generation don't see the light of day any time soon (delayed yet again..): They are not going to burn themselves and get stuck with all these chips.

How did they get in this situation, given the current market and demand?

Attached: nvidia_computex_2011.jpg (450x600, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

seekingalpha.com/article/4182662-nvidia-appears-gpu-inventory-problem
techpowerup.com/243767/samsung-micron-and-hynix-accused-of-dram-price-fixing
techpowerup.com/245399/nvidias-next-gen-gpu-launch-held-back-to-drain-excess-costly-built-up-inventory
youtube.com/watch?v=MfI9QDxvyAU
anandtech.com/show/10864/discrete-desktop-gpu-market-trends-q3-2016/4
in.pcmag.com/nvidia-1/123614/news/is-nvidia-not-launching-new-gpus-due-to-surplus-stock-of-the
instagram.com/teacher_sindy/
youtube.com/watch?v=BFP-xwov9ko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

kys AMDshit

not sure what you're trying to say there but it doesn't seem like a reason why NVidia and their board partners are stuck with literally boatloads of GPU chips right now. It's also interesting that retail prices are not dropping like a rock right now even though that's what you'd expect in a situation like this.

Attached: wu_yanlin0323_33837383_372891669866899_1456052689971445760_n.jpg (1080x720, 88K)

nobody's even going to try to guess how they managed to dig themselves into this hole?

The story is all over place the first articles I read of it seemed to imply it was just the chips and not the whole boards. With the memory shortage it's less likely to be assembled skus, even amd said there are plenty of gpus, but no memory for it.

yeah it's just the chips, not complete boards. board partners have plenty of chips in stock that are not being turned into complete GPUs for some reason. GDDR5 shouldn't be a problem, it's understandable that AMD can't get enough HBM but that's different, GDDR5 isn't new.

Gddr5 is probably allocated to polaris mining boards before it goes to pascal stuff. Could be the reason the nvidia chips are left overs, but there's nothing to say amd is affected by this either. If they didn't predict this fall then they'll have spare capacity also.

>spare capacity
neither amd or nvidia has any capacity, they don't have fabs (intel and samsung on the other hand has fabs). so the only question is inventory, already produced chips and ordered production

dare I say they are making me As Rock?

no, I don't think they are making you AsRock products

Attached: asrock-7905811554_ea0521b6f4_b.jpg (685x1024, 326K)

She can make my dick hard AsRock.

Attached: give_her_the_d.jpg (335x488, 20K)

hottest girl in thread is OP pic on the left

keep them comin nerds

>OP pic on the left
interesting choice

Attached: nvidia-17551.jpg (533x800, 107K)

As others have said the issue is memory, Nvidia and AMD can't source enough GDDR5 so there's plenty of chips but no cards.

not really. black haired girl has forehead bigger than mars

It isn't really Nvidia and AMD fault per say.

It is their vendors who got too greedy who kept on trying to ride out the whole crypto-currenecy craze (keeping prices high for too long). They are now dealing with the consequences of the bust.

They should have stop the silliness back during the first major "bust".

It also doesn't help majority of the masses really don't need the power of current generation platforms let alone the next generation stuff that is around the corner.

user you should get a gun travel to korea and kill all the kimchi niggers if you want to fix the GPU prices.
Good luck, may the gods be with you, etc etc.

Being butthurt at nvidia and shitposting won't fix shit because it's not even their fault, they sell to companies like asus and so on the GPU itself that little silicon chip, the rest like PCB, VRM, RAM etc that's added to the board is bought from different manufacturers.
For example the VRMs could be from texas instruments or international rectifier, the RAM could be from samsung, hynix or micron, etc.

Nvidia doesn't make the entire video card and gives to asus, gigabyte and so on for them to sell, you're really not a smart kid are you?

>record high inventory
Source would be nice.

Here you go

seekingalpha.com/article/4182662-nvidia-appears-gpu-inventory-problem

They'll just delay the launch of new series until they use all the stock

i choose the girl on the left

she has a weird nose and cheecks, i would still wreck her though

Attached: 1500716056988.jpg (1200x675, 138K)

Nvidia has an enormous amount of power over their AIBs and they are known for abusing it. They have to dance to Nvidia's pipe or nvidia will put them out of business or at minimum try - remember what happened to XFX back in 2009.

Attached: tiffanyruan_34287583_1706918992754947_4429321264657596416_n.jpg (1080x1350, 152K)

Nigga samsung has everyone by their balls.
Both AMD and Nvidia are getting fucked because they need tons of ram on their GPUs.
AMD mostly because of the HBM2 in all their cards where nvidia only uses it on their titans and quadros

The gooks outchinked both Su and jacketman

>Kaspersky

Imagine having an antivirus software logo tattood on your arm

first of all, the based koreans are not "kimchi niggers". secondly, Samsung's done nothing wrong.

Attached: samsung-sitex-2015-01.jpg (950x634, 319K)

>Samsung's done nothing wrong.
Yeah user because a vega 56 that could cost 450 dollarydoos costs 900.
That's not wrong at all.

Which company has the hottest sloots lads?

so when the fuck is the GTX 1100 series coming out?

Attached: Z3weTZYfKWcfnBySe-U7NW7OEV-xc7Opl0jyK3859zY.jpg (480x651, 42K)

>Samsung's done nothing wrong.

Attached: alihaha.gif (500x600, 790K)

There's plenty of other companies beyond Samsung who make GDDR5 memory, they ain't even the one of the two biggest players. They are to blame for HBM2 memory shortages but there's not many NVidia GPUs using those.

The blame squarely lands on NVidia and their board partners such as vColor.

Attached: 2018-V-COLOR-PART2-002.webm (1280x720, 2.71M)

Why don't they just make prices normal again?

Gotta get rid of them chink cartels first.

techpowerup.com/243767/samsung-micron-and-hynix-accused-of-dram-price-fixing

That's a great question. RAM prices aside; it's probably not that profitable. The production cost of something like a GP107 GPU chip is likely very low compared to NVidia's asking price and also very little compared to the cost of a GPU (which includes the GPU chip, PCB, RAM, VRMs, cooler, fans and so on).

I suspect NVidia would rather dump them in a landfill than sell them to AIBs at or slightly above cost. I also suspect a big aspect of the "GPU shortage" was NVidia intentionally limiting chip availability to AIBs when AMD GPUs were non-existent in retail stores.

Attached: nvidia-babe-002.jpg (800x600, 452K)

Hey, I got an idea!
How about they make the graphics cards really cheap! Then people will buy a lot of them!

>cheap
I'll settle for "not ridiculously overpriced."

It's retarded how 2yo cards like 1060 still sell way over the original MSRP.

Can you tell me why AMD is not making cheap stuff then?
You clearly seem to work for them. I just wanted a MSRP price 56 to use in my xubuntu shitbox.

man oh manischewitz

qt

>semiaccurate
dropped

>tell me why AMD is not making cheap stuff then?
no. And I also find it quite interesting that AMD appears to have delayed or outright cancelled a whole line of GPUs. Why do I believe this is the case? VEGA12 code was added to both the linux kernel and mesa months ago. For those unfamiliar with how AMD usually refers to chips in drivers, the RX 400 GPUs were POLARIS10 and the RX 500 series refresh was POLARIS12. So linux driver support for VEGA12 and VEGA20 (more like a high-end compute GPU going by the code) has been in place for months yet there is no sign of any such GPU on the market.

Attached: AMD-booth_babe_12.jpg (550x572, 70K)

learn to judge information on it's on merit, not the publication that presents it. you're on an anonymous image board, after all.

Attached: Cheng Xiao (WJSN) - She is so freaking cute ♥.webm (820x720, 2.62M)

nVidia is the ultimate Jew company. AMD is no better, they serve their Sony masters.

What ACTUALLY happened:
>retailers raise Nvidia price aswell, because what else are people going to buy, fucking Intel?
>miners don't buy Nvidia because shit yields
>gaymers who can afford a 500€ 1060 may aswell just bite the bullet and get a 800 1080
>those who don't buy 2nd hand or just wait

Nobody wants 1030s and 1050s now that nobody gives a fuck when you can get 1060s and 480s for under 100€ used. Even if it dies next year, it's more value than a brand new 1030 was ever going to be in it's lifespan of relevancy, especially when it was sold at 1050 price.

>Write-offs in inventory are costly (just ask Microsoft), and apparently, NVIDIA has found itself in a miscalculating demeanor: overestimating gamers' and miners' demand for their graphics cards.
>(...)The result? NVIDIA's demand overestimation has led, according to Seeking Alpha, to a "top three" Taiwan OEM returning 300,000 GPUs to NVIDIA, and "aggressively" increased GDDR5 buying orders from the company, suggesting an excess stock of GPUs that need to be made into boards.

techpowerup.com/245399/nvidias-next-gen-gpu-launch-held-back-to-drain-excess-costly-built-up-inventory

told ya the new gpu releases were being artificially held back due to excess inventory.

the whole world is a sham.
shouldn't excess inventory and low demand lead to cheaper prices?
yet, prices are still above msrp.
fuck it all.

>Semiaccurate

For the fuck's sake. A thread died for this. Mods please lock this shit

youtube.com/watch?v=MfI9QDxvyAU

how can there be excess when they can't even make the stupid cards in the first place?

>300k gpu's returned
I wonder if nvidia would dare to release a new dual pascal gpu sku with 8 or 9gb of vram.
The market speech could work, I'm sure many breds of thankyoubasednvidia would be made.
Not very sure about that because nvidia seemed to be going against multi gpu's configs, but since there's a lot of money to be 'not lost', who knows.

don't you mean:
>shut it down
fuck off.

Besides, it's ogre and all over the place now. The story has already spread quite fast. It really shows how people are fed up with the bs in the graphics cards segment.

that wouldn't work if it's mostly low-mid end chips they are stuck with. just this week we got news that nvidia's pushing a brand new 1050 with 3GB of memory. Of course, being nvidia, they just call it 1050 since calling different cards different things isn't in their nature - a 1030 with GDDR5 is apparently the same as a 1030 with DDR4 to them even though the performance difference is huge. The 3 GB 1050 will use three 1 GB sticks instead of four 512 MB sticks on the 2 GB 1050 so it's got far less memory bandwidth (but more memory).

anyways, a dual 1080 with 8 GB RAM would probably sell if it was done and priced right. but nvidia can't exactly make a "dual 1050" and expect that to fly off the shelves. and it does seem like it's low-mid range chips they are stuck with, not high-end chips.

Attached: nvidia-blond-gpu-girl-2016.jpg (1000x1333, 305K)

AMD GPUs have always been better at computing, nvidia GPUs have been better at gayming shit

also, 300k is not a lot... like 1/10th of their monthly production:
anandtech.com/show/10864/discrete-desktop-gpu-market-trends-q3-2016/4

Not always, just when they cut down their gaymin GPU's after Fermi to stop them causing nuclear meltdowns (580 is a """""refined""""" 480). But on the flip side it causes their cards to age horribly unless you bought the full chip titan versions, which means you have to buy every generation now, which is a positive...for Nvidia.

in.pcmag.com/nvidia-1/123614/news/is-nvidia-not-launching-new-gpus-due-to-surplus-stock-of-the

>Nvidia is delaying the launch of it’s new GPU line because of surplus stock of the current 10 series boards that they have floating around in the market. Fresh reports out of Taiwan suggest that the company has an inventory problem and that a top Asian OEM who is a partner, returned 300,000 units to the company.

POO
O
O

Excess inventory in the chips, not the boards
There not even assembled yet

Attached: 1526454252307.jpg (683x1024, 261K)

Remember when GPU boxes had 3D-rendered women on them?

They wouldn't want to undercut their big turing launch with a flood of cheap GPUs

wtf i LOVE amd now

>stuck with nividia chips

lol dude those chips are awesome ur a faggot.

There's probably something to this, there aren't that many board partners. And most of them make both AMD and NVidia chips so the AIBs control 100% of the GPU market and there's not that many of them. Wouldn't shock me if they had some kind of gentlemans agreement to keep supply low.

As for "needing" modern GPUs.. well, nobody strictly needs it but some want it. My old mother ain't going to buy a mid or high end GPU any time soon, anything that can display a web browser is fine. But my nephews all want (not the same as need) the best possible GPU. Not that playing fortnite requires all that much...

>There's probably something to this
Not without any reputable sources, not that it would even be an issue anyway. Those chips cost pennies to produce en-masse, as long as they recoup the initial investment it really doesn't fucking matter if they have 50k 100k or 200k of surplus.

While this makes a good news story, it's a non-issue for nvidia. Yes this is a screw up, but they can recover without any consequences. All they have to do (which they are doing) is push back the Volta release to sell more of the Pascal cards.
AMD is not really competitive and no one is buying Vega cards except for blatant fangoys, so this strategy will probably be carried out without a hitch.

It's definitely annoying for consumers that nvidia is pushing back the release of their new gen, but I'm not really too worried about nvidia's behavior. They actually do continuously improve their product lines even though they have most of the market.

Even if they messed up none of those cards are MSRP stupid faggots should sell them at MSRP if they wanna get rid of them.

Attached: pepe_sasuke.jpg (425x340, 14K)

>no one is buying Vega cards
That's not strange. 6790 SEK ($765) for a nvidia 1080 8GB or 8390 SEK ($945) for a Gigabyte RX Vega 64 - and there's one other Vega 64 in stock, a ASUS Strix at 9290 SEK ($1047).

Show me the benchmark showing the RX Vega64 to be a card worth $180 more than the Nvidia 1080....?

Attached: AMD_promotional_model_at_Computex_20130607d.jpg (3347x5021, 2.95M)

>jen gets asked when the next series will be released
>"not for a long, long time."
>amd faggots: "OMG THEY ARE PUSHING BACK THE RELASE NVIDIA IS FUCKING YOU IN THE ASS LMFAO!"
>Best GPU is still Nvidia.

So basically i can buy a 1080TI cheepcheep now?

ahhahaaahahaa

here's a fucking idea build a bitcoin mining rig with these 300k gpus and good luck

fucking niggers

The graphics chips themselves, yes. Not so much a full graphics card that also comes with video RAM.

If the issue is memory AMD and Nvidia should bring back X2 cards. Have a Vega 56 X2 and GTX 1080 X2, I'm sure they would sell..

Give me 1060 6 gb for 149$

atleast she's safe from infections :^)

also it's a temporary tattoo or bodypaint in all likelhood. next week those females will go to the next convention about washing machines and will have tattoos of samsung, miele, bosch, etc. printed on them

>next week those females will go to the next convention
This is absolutely true. As an example, girl in the middle of pic related regularly stands or sits next to all kinds of things ranging from make-up to food, candy and so on. You can see this on her instagram,
instagram.com/teacher_sindy/

yeah, I followed a bunch of the computex girls on insta. no-no judging

Attached: teacher_sindy_34133572_1709736229115124_4388169641101361152_n.jpg (1080x1350, 147K)

cute boys

Based traposter

Wait a minute, that girl is white

How the fuck old is this picture? They've only hired ugly chinks for years now. I guess "ugly chink" is a bit redundant, but still.

Attached: 1489437759203.png (600x547, 335K)

Wrong, it's the girl on the right on the second photo

>Fag meme
Get out

Well, now the cat's out of the bag. Tech Jesus himself has now reported on this
youtube.com/watch?v=BFP-xwov9ko

Attached: tech-jesus-nvidia-exposure.jpg (2560x1440, 639K)

I got a theory. NVDA stock was mooning. AMD video cards sold out and when to above MSRP because of crypto. NVDA can't have their cards fully stocked at MSRP with AMD trading at $13 in this situation so they followed suit with AMD and created artificial scarcity with their cards with no miner demand. Also this would play into customer sentiment since some people just see AMD sold out above MSRP= everybody wants one so it must be better without comparing cuda cores, clock speeds FPS or whatever you fags jerk off to.

Nigga are you crazy, nvidia stocks are insanely high they don't need that shit.
It was literally a fuck up because they thought it would last a bit longer the crazy demand for GPUs and now they have to deal with board partners (asus, gigabyte, msi, etc) sending them back the chips instead of building the complete products (video cards) for the consumers.

disgusting

2018 Q4 / 2019 Q1

God I hope its 2019 I just dropped $420 on a 1070ti

690 sli or 980 ti sli?

Nah, it is more likely that Nvidia will launch next generation stuff at higher prices points then previous generation and have it compete against the old stock.

They exactly did this with second generation Kepler launch as well as the GTX 2xx launch.

1180/2080 = $799 MSRP = ~95-105% 1080Ti performance with less loaded power consumption.

1170/2080 = $599 MSRP = 20-30% faster than 1080 with similar loaded power consumption.

1180/2080Ti = $999 MSRP = 90-95% Titan V performance.

1160/2060 = $399 = 1080 performance with 1060 loaded power consumption.

Chips actually cost around $5-$35 USD to make (growing ultra-pure silicon and treating it isn't cheap nor are the trace amounts of precious metals used interconnects/interface)

>1060s for under 100 used
fucking where mate

>Nvidia will launch next generation stuff at higher prices points
yeah, they might try to do that but I'm not sure it'll fly anymore. miners are not buying GPUs, they are not buying mining equipment at all at these crypto prices and if they are they are buying ASICs. So that leaves the gamers. Does even current GPU prices make sense to them? Hell no. Put simply, if you're not in a position where you have a whole lot of money and you want to play games.. are you going to buy a Playstation 4 PRO and be ready to go or are you going to buy a GPU that costs you more than the PS4 and case/PSU/motherboard/RAM/CPU?

I do think the amount of money nvidia can squeeze out of the gaming segment is somewhat limited even now. We're already talking 2x the cost of a console for a comparable PC gaming system.

There are fucking ram shortages even now, so much that Nvidia released GTX 1060 5GBs and GT 1050 3GBs for the china internet cafe market and gamers.

This is what happens when Nvidia and board partners tried to ramp up production to meet demand but got assfucked by the 3 ram chip makers keeping supply down and prices high.

> retail prices are not dropping like a rock
Around here they set the warehouses on fire to create artificial scarcity and keep selling them on premium prices. Insurance covers their "losses" created by the "accidents". They get _full_ refunds on the aready sky-high prices.
Pic somewhat related.

Attached: 1528936478883.png (1196x676, 1.05M)

>we have too much stock!
>meanwhile a 1070 is more expensive now than at release
Jews gonna jew

This is what happens when fucking clickbait news outlets create all the buzz about next gen cards dropping, the 3 ram jews artificially inflating prices and other shit.

Now Nvidia got all these chips, and no ram to make cards, even if they had ram to make cards gamers aren't gonna buy them because of the Osborne effect, and miners are eagerly waiting ASIC miners.

Definitely 980ti. For the games that scale awfully with sli you be stuck with four cut down 680 cores which would put it on terms of performance with a 1050ti. Would be cool saying you have a quad GPU sli machine though.
But the 980ti is still very much relevant today.

Since it's impossible to ramp up production capacity that quickly, the only explanation is that nvidia withheld stock to drive prices up, hoping that buttcoin mining would still be around when they released more stock into the new higher prices.
It fucked them in the ass since memecoins all crashed again.

Don't SLI at all, it was a jew scam to get people to buy two graphics cards that both render the same thing.

They gonna rehashed the old chip anyway. Different naming like 2050/2030/2060 etc.

(heiled)
It's because AMD isn't competitive with their shit cards.