EEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1529694254861[1].jpg (300x300, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

makezine.com/2012/10/08/a-fine-example-of-dead-bug-style-circuit-wiring/
youtube.com/watch?v=eyUlF1wmxgA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfboard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through-hole_technology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology
hooktube.com/watch?v=VCJHS836rlI).
hackaday.com/2016/12/16/building-the-first-ternary-microprocessor/),
mediafire.com/file/4m92hw0o6zp6n6j/Soviet_Cybernetics%282%29.rar/file
libgen.pw/search?q=gerovitch).
computer-museum.ru/english/.
3niti.org/
roluan.com/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i hate transistors too

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg (630x659, 32K)

kawaii

Attached: transistor.png (250x250, 29K)

why? you gon use wires instead

What are you talking about? Transistors are a fundamental technology.

fuck off, Jow Forums is now an exclusively tube based board

Attached: 1520406904502.jpg (400x400, 21K)

cisistors are far more stable

>a brainlet brawl thread
Ah, so in this thread you guys aren't even trying to hide what you are.

Attached: bz4oOSF.png (461x563, 229K)

upvote

What is your goal here?

yes

>4 years younger than the 2n2222
>worse performance across the board
obsolete day zero

ok yes i laughed but I also have a tranny GF and I love her so much and i was a bit offended
so i replyed to you with "upvote" to condemn you as a redditor

how do you solder these things to modern boards? there are no holes in them anymore like there used to be.

Other than the first five letters of the words, what do transgender, transsexual, transvestite have to do with transistors?

What to do with 150 discrete transistors of various types?

ok I'm not even gonna respond

dead bug or buy a different package

You seem to be a very confused person.

Mechanical relays > transistors

Prove me wrong

Attached: 1524229987224.png (1024x1024, 13K)

Well they certainly are larger.

Attached: lol.jpg (640x360, 125K)

makezine.com/2012/10/08/a-fine-example-of-dead-bug-style-circuit-wiring/

Attached: FE3F682I4YTXHUH.LARGE.jpg (1024x768, 113K)

and slower and shorter lived and they bounce and they use more energy in their operations and they are more expensive to manufacture at scale.
>troll branch question

youtube.com/watch?v=eyUlF1wmxgA

Daddy

>This is Jow Forums!
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadboard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfboard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printed_circuit_board
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through-hole_technology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology

Attached: 58c05efa1d000037037cd491.jpg (719x379, 58K)

Oh no, he has the UK speech impediment!

pfft have fun with that electro-mechanical contact noise.

>the whole thing is just an oversized antenna
just no.

>somehow the fiberglass or FR-4 in the equivalent dual layer PCB magically shields the traces from RF noise

Attached: 1529239957670.jpg (652x453, 28K)

>tranny GF

Attached: 1529677004716.jpg (1226x897, 255K)

>blocks your efficieny

Attached: 1489671183.png (500x330, 7K)

Attached: 1529677590856.jpg (1152x721, 204K)

yeah!

Other guy made a trans/cis joke with his cisistors comment, you are the one who seems confused
Also I’m not the guy with the femboi gf just trying to clear things up

mosfet >>>>>>>> bjt

Post tranny tits on a red board and I’ll jack off to it

she doesn't have boobs

embarrasing

This is now a saturable reactor thread.

Attached: saturable reactor.jpg (800x499, 74K)

So?

This based abacus board.

Miniature ferrite cores and semiconductor diodes make for cheap, easy and extremely reliable construction of ternary computers. Nothing can compete against this.

Attached: 2ae27aff97fa4a159191efcd04ed3f99.png (622x480, 463K)

BBBBBBBBBBB

do tell more

*explodes so violently it puts a dent on the case*

Attached: capxon operating normally.jpg (492x373, 83K)

>TO-18 package
Into the trash it goes

>tranny "gf"
>calling others r*ddit
kys

funny cap

>he doesn't know about the PN2222

her(him)

Is the AC out from N2 induction change?

CCCCCCCCCCCC

are those the mouse button switches? fucking logishit

>ternary
kys

>fetishism of multi-decade old tech
fuck off

>being a 2n2222 pleb
>not buying the superior transistor and it's perfect complement

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 4K)

They change states and are volatile

So glad someone's using my shitty [s4s] meme

1/2

As far as I know, there were only ever two ternary computers built. One was a mechanical calculator made entirely out of, and I'm not joking, wood. It had an improved second model, but there were ever only one built of each, and neither survived the present day, nor did the inventor's, one Thomas Fowler, notes. Some people guesstimated the specifications based on a third-party account and built a replica, currently sitting in a British museum. God knows how close it is to the original models tho. Pic related.

The other one was the only serious effort. The Soviet sciences had many weird experiments. Computer science saw several unusual forms of computers, including one that performed calculations using, and again I'm not joking, water, the Water Integrator. Details in English are scarce, but it seems at least some model of fluidic computer was mass-produced and used all the way into the 80s there.

But the most promising experiment was the Setun, the first and so far only electronic ternary computer to be built and even mass-produced. The main designer, Brusentsov, decided against vacuum tubes for being large and breaking often, and transistors weren't available yet. This came to be a boon, because the solution his team found with the miniature ferrite cores and diodes worked perfectly to model a balanced ternary logic, whereas binary logic required some "translation" from it's physical subtrate. Two other bonuses were low energy consumption and rare component failures -- the factory assigned to mass-produce it tried to sabotage it because its buyer institutions had to buy fewer computers due to Setun's extreme reliability.

One more esoteric aspect, extolled by both Fowler and Brusentsov, is how ternary (or "Aristotle's", as the latter sometimes wrote) logic is much closer to how the human mind operates than binary, making its use far simpler to grasp. I confess the scarce translated explanations I have found elude my comprehension.

Attached: FowlerMachineReplica1.jpg (400x288, 9K)

2/2

Anyway, eventually transistors arrived and were much cheaper, smaller and more reliable than vacuum tubes, and at the same time Soviet authorities, which once viewed cybernetics as promising to help calculate the planned economy, came to feel threatened by it, because it was proving to be too effective and thus was a risk to the planners' political power. It's crazy to think the Soviet economy could have been saved by computers. So with government support lost, Setun died soon afterwards The very first model was destroyed with fucking fireaxes. Barbaric, to say the least. It had one improved model, Setun-70, which seemingly wasn't mass produced but is currently in a museum, along with some copies of the original model.

Maybe if development had continued, the ternary computer would have managed to keep up with advances in transistor technology and offer competition to binary computers, or maybe it would become obsolete on its own, but alas, we'll never know. Occasionally someone will propose a new form of ternary architecture, but no one seems to have built anything beyond tiny circuitry (hooktube.com/watch?v=VCJHS836rlI). An ambitious soul wants to make the first ternary microprocessor (hackaday.com/2016/12/16/building-the-first-ternary-microprocessor/), but I suppose that would lack the advantages of perfect physical modelling of ternary logic and low energy consumption, but still. Fingers crossed.

no u

One day ternary will have its revenge. One day.

Attached: setun3.jpg (1024x768, 108K)

>ternary
Thanks for sharing this. Since you're pretty knowledgeable would you mind pointing me in the best direction to learn more? Obviously I'll google it but maybe you know of a good documentary or some books ect

No it won't
Every couple of months some yahoo (maybe they're all (You)) fetishising ternary comes along and usually ends up looking silly.
Now, what the fuck do I know, I only studied this and do it for a living, but ternary is a world of pain, engineering-wise.
Half of your blogpost sounds like it was lifter wholesale out of russian propaganda / romanticism. Not to detract from the work of the brilliant engineers who worked on Setun, but besides arithmatics, binary logic lends itself well to solving our engineering needs.
When you think about the implementation details, I wouldn't bet on ternary any day of the week. I do have high hopes for quantum computing (can't wait for GPQPU), memristors and for new transistors topologies.

wtf i love bipolar trannies now

>t. dave

PUUUTO

I think I have a couple of caps with more details, I'll try to dig them up.

Jesus user, unclench. There's no point in putting on this disinterested air of expertise to try to burst a bubble that isn't even there.

For starters, you "studied this and doing it for a living" with modern academia means little in this day and age, and that's before even pointing out the fact that the small team behind the Setun had better education, both quantitatively and qualitatively, than you and your entire graduation class put together. By your own logic, Brusentsov "studied this and did this for a living", and he knew far more about it than anyone in this site. You might know more than me, but not more than him. Whether he was right or not about the inherent superiority of ternary logic, you're not on the same level as him to argue the point. Sorry.

As for bubble bursting, do you think I actually expect ternary to return? A mixture of wishful thinking with run-of-the-mill imageboard bragging, user. It's like taking the posts saying "INTEL IS DEAD" or "anyone still use an IDE is literally retarded" at face value. Don't argue against clear hyperbole, user.

>binary logic lends itself well to solving our engineering needs
Now this is an actual point. Yes, it's 100% correct, but it ignores two important facts. One is that virtually all research worldwide since then has been geared towards researching physical components oriented towards binary logic, so for all we know, we could be using superior computers of some other base number right now if we directed research differently through the decades, but like I said, we'll never know. Two, new technologies could favor ternary (or some other) logic. Key to Setun's quality was that the basic component lent itself perfectly for ternary logic. Had it been built with diodes or tubes instead, it probably wouldn't have been as good.

have a (you), good sir

*modulates your pulse width*
EEREEEEEEEEEREEEEEEEEEERERRREEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1529697555553.png (600x600, 681K)

*isolates your voltages*

Attached: index.jpg (225x225, 3K)

Well I can't find the damn caps because my puny binary computer is fagging up. But I do have this, a link to a big-ass thread on leftypol about Soviet cybernetics, including a bit about Setun: mediafire.com/file/4m92hw0o6zp6n6j/Soviet_Cybernetics%282%29.rar/file

Unfortunately, the vast majority of reading on Setun, and thus on ternary computing at large, is in Russian and untranslated. By far, the man translating and writing in English the most about Soviet cybernetics is one Slava Gerovitch. You can find some nice material on his site, various articles using Google and books on Libgen.pw (libgen.pw/search?q=gerovitch). Some saintly Russians also write material in English, like in computer-museum.ru/english/. Boris Malinovsky was another pioneer, and he wrote a bit on the history of cybernetics in which he took part. For ternary logic, check 3niti.org/ and its links, there's a handful of sites maintained by "enthusiasts", as well as a few emulators of Setun or generic ternary machines (roluan.com/). You can also find several academic papers about these topics, just use the usual databases to search for their names then go to sci-hub.tw to pirate them. Almost all of them are relatively recent and written by Westerns, because almost none of the original papers have been translated. You can find a few in the databses, but others remain behind paywalls like that of RAND Corporation and other non-academic institutes. Outside of computing, there's "How Not to Network a Nation" by Benjamin Peters, and "Red Plenty" by Francis Spufford, the latter being a pretty fun fictionalized history of Soviet Cybernetics, which provides a list of further reading material at the end. On Google, searching for basic keywords like "Setun" or "soviet computing" usually brings up good material at the top, simply because there isn't too much.

If I find anything, I'll post again, but this should get you started.