Matlab

Does anybody use it except univercities? I think that Python(x,y) is more popular

Attached: MATLAB_R2015b.png (1353x819, 196K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/embedded/comments/8d68z3/need_suggestions_to_upgrade_from_my_current_skill/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Some insurance companies use it for pricing.

R and Python are more popular but there are definitely some that use MATLAB

Dont understimate how computer illiterate researchers can be.
I started in a new team doing some medical research and they all use matlab.

Most engineers still use it

>Univercities

Attached: 1524204436754.jpg (605x864, 60K)

By choice or because they are forced...

Usually by choice. Matlab is like a supped up calculator. And most people don't know about GNU Octave.
Also, judging by his spelling of universities, OP is either a engineer or retard

>read c6da9ef157ee76a9e913's answer

reddit.com/r/embedded/comments/8d68z3/need_suggestions_to_upgrade_from_my_current_skill/

really good answer

Attached: 28154354_408567242935244_4921925834228367360_n.jpg (1080x1080, 122K)

Both. They choose to use the tool boxes, Simulink at my company, rather than recreating the functionality in other tools, which forces them to use Matlab.

>medical research
>hey all use matlab.
of course, pajeet, no time to waste fizbuzzing with memelangs

Yes, many

I work with process development and we have a hundred+ user license

R and Python are infinitely less popular than MATLAB. Python with NumPy and SciPy has some spread. R has barely non at all outside university cocoons. Even GNU Octave is more popular than R, and it is a complete pile of shit.

>most people don't know about GNU Octave
Octave lacks in performance for dealing with large data. It also misses most of the advanced toolboxes that Matlab has (even Simulink)

Some toolboxes are very useful

This is fizzbuzz in MATLAB.
Feel like a brainlet yet?

Attached: Screenshot_20180526-165324.png (2880x1440, 122K)

In my observation, the kind of person who fucks around with mathematical packages for fun after graduation tends to prefer Wolfram Mathematica. Having used both in college, I completely understand.

Is engineer a synonym of retard?

Show me the Python alternative for Simulink

it's convenient and interactive if all your analysis can be done inside matlab

if you need to do literally anything else its a fucking nightmare

Companies use it... otherwise they probably wouldn't give discounts to students. I believe its actually more popular with business.

Its what they're taught.

I used it when working for a machine vision company.

it's incredibly useful for rapidly prototyping and evaluating an algorithm in certain domains, before you go over to python or whatever to get it into production.

SigInt in state agency of one of the yuropoor countries, we use a lot of matlab and R.

Or they just provide discounts to students so when they get a job they're so used to it they ask the company to buy them full licenses.
it's the same reason Microsoft doesn't really give a shit when you pirate Office, the more it spreads the more people will be inclined to buy it down the line.

Companies use it for Simulink or whatever, it has some proprietary interface that makes it super easy at interfacing with all kinds of hardware.

Of course Jow Forums only cares about the programming language. That's not why it's used, no one gives a shit about the programming language, they want to plug it into an actuator on a missile system or something and get instant data without having to write their own interface.

You're lucky. I'm working directly with pharmaceutical researchers. Most of them can barely handle fucking Excel.

Considering I've pivoted to programming from being a pipette monkey/cancer herder myself, shit is just inexcusable.

>Of course Jow Forums only cares about the programming language. That's not why it's used, no one gives a shit about the programming language, they want to plug it into an actuator on a missile system or something and get instant data without having to write their own interface.

Or implement the algorithm for real, in which case a low-level language is used.

There is really no function that R or Python fills here.

Maybe in big data where computation is allowed to take a bit longer

Can't you just run the prototype with OpenCV though ?

>Medical equipment all made to interface easily with matlab
>Unified experience so you can use .m scripts for literally anything
>Multi-discipline so the contractor can use it too
This is for people who want to get shit done, not circlejerk about their vim macros and cflags.

*writes matlab code in vim*

*teleports behind you*

Matlab's also fairly popular with DSP designing and engineering (Simulink).

I worked at an investment company and they used matlab mainly.

Octave is only used by poorfags who go to terrible universities where a MATLAB course is a requirement but the university is just too cheap to give out student copies.

>not using the superior service

Attached: mathematica-11-montage.png (951x346, 264K)

>proprietary programming language

Matlab is used a ton here in Germany. Pretty much all the older mechanical engineers I know and work with use it as their go to.
Almost definitely because of how fucking straightforward and easy it is to learn, you really don't need any programming knowledge or know anything about software whatsoever.

The majority of the research areas for JPL's internships last summer had MATLAB as a highly sought after skill

No, it's an example of someone who has a job instead of spending all his time thinking highly of himself based on what software he uses or doesn't use.

Simulink is king in control engineering.
MATLAB also has a bunch of matrix optimizations which Numpy doesn't, so you can get 100x speedups sometimes in some niche things.