You don't still use a disc drive do you grandpa?

You don't still use a disc drive do you grandpa?

Attached: Compact-Disc.jpg (437x295, 28K)

My game consoles still use blurays, I'll keep using them for as long as physical games still exist.

After that I'm done with video games.

Why? Just get DRM free games on PC.

japanese console exclusives don't exist on PC and PS3 emulators aren't competent enough for me to switch over yet

Buy digital games when they go on sale. I remember getting Ni no Kuni for like $5 years ago on PS3. Why do you need to snuggle up with a plastic case and disc?

>buying digital

yeah fuck off
I'm not trading money for bits.

What's the difference? You can backup digital to an external hard drive. It's the same game.

There's barely any DRM-free digital games unless you pirate everything.

>(((Streaming music)))
Good goy.

Attached: B02A6CBB-D0EB-4236-B3DA-3E702724620C.png (300x250, 20K)

I do.
Blurays are digital, though.
You can backup optical discs as well, and have exactly the same benefits as buying a non-physical copy.
Most optical discs include DRM too, though.

Attached: IMG_20180617_131804.jpg (2560x1920, 1.03M)

Spinning digital optical disquettes sound better than streamshit

streaming in laserdisk quality is absolutely possible

My desktop has a BD drive.

My memepad T530 has a DVD drive but I only used it once to test if it actually worked. Been thinking about removing it but there's nothing cool to put there besides a caddy.

on game consoles, sure, I like having physical media and I especially like having the option to sell those games later on. I've also got a decent amount of blu-rays and DVDs I like to be able to play, but I don't buy new ones anymore. On my computers I don't really use my disc drive but I'd prefer to have the ability to - like a few weeks ago, a friend asked me if I could make some copies of some old family DVD he had, and if I didn't have a drive I wouldn't have been able to.

Next gen consoles probably won't have disc drives. This gen it could've happened but consumers weren't quite ready. Game stores will sell cardboard codes that get activated at checkout or sent directly to the gamertag of the buyer. These will be the only part of the physical collection...a used cardboard code unless they buy a special edition figurine edition.

Microsoft almost did it this generation with one time use discs (anyone that would share a disc would need to rebuy a license from the online store). You can see them stealthily pushing Game Pass at a good monthly cost, which will steadily rise when it becomes the norm to have only digital games. They're also going to do streaming games, meaning normies don't really need to own any newer consoles to play the latest games. Sony already do it with PS Now. The future for physical media in video games is definitely looking bleak.

gas yourself

I have one just in case, but for the most part, no, I can't think of when I used it last..
I do my backups on HDs that I only power on once or twice a year. Dunno when I'll need to think about replacing them.
System installs I've been booting off USB for the past 8 years or so.

The worst thing is they can now manage licensed games very draconian. Publisher loses rights... instantly remove the game from the store. All they can do with physical is no longer produce new copies. Can't even buy Legend of Korra on consoles/Steam anymore.

Yeah, its a bad situation to rely on streaming. One day its there then its gone forever. I still buy music and dvds, and BD are good for cheap backups.

12 volt tv and media player. can watch monty python dvds when there is shite or no internet access in the middle of nowhere.

>he doesn't have an external hard drive solely for storing slsk albums
O i am laffin

I use an old busted discman to listen to my CD collection every now and then, will eventually sell them when the time is right

But i need to rip my music CDs to FLAC.

Attached: 0554.png (526x524, 304K)

FLAC = Free Lossless Anime Codec?

>buy used cheap discs
>rip them to flac with error checking
>throw disc in trash afterwards because it literally only cost $2

FLAC is placebo

>He doesn't know about rotational velocidensity

flac is the same data as on the disk and you can go from there

And why is the third step necessary?
It is the same audio, not the same data. FLAC applies lossless compression. The same data would be an iso + cue or a linear PCM rip. Now THOSE are placebo.

I can't tell the difference other than maybe a bit less hiss on quiet parts.

you're a fucking retard

Space/eventual disc rot. I will never use that disc again since I will already have backups locally and remotely.

LTO 5.

>disc rot
Not a problem in 99.8% of CDs, since they had most of that shit figured out from making LDs
>space
If we were talking about 12" LPs, sure. But what kind of a shithole do you live in where even an entire (~500 albums) music collection fills up a significant amount of space?

a disc "drive"?
you seem behind the times, dude

Attached: YGF_BierMrkt_Toronto-4218-e1499115241974.jpg (2000x1333, 350K)

I have a drive, but i think i need to clean the head and probably replace the belt.

disc ≠ disk

You mean bin+cue, iso is single track and only used by retards for any purpose other than DVDs.

And even that won't save subchannel data, so what you'd want is ccd/img/sub. THAT would be the same data.

A PCM rip would work only for discs are adhere entirely to the Red Book (CDDA) standard.

I just don't like having lots of shit everywhere. It's a more simplified life having maybe ten high capacity hard drives that physically take up the space of about 1% of all optical media (DVD sized cases).

i still use cds dvds and vhs tapes. theres a store nearby where i can buy a shit ton of all 3 for dirt cheap. ive seen a lot of classics that way.

>he doesn't know about nu disc tech
silly virgin

Attached: myno10.gif (480x270, 93K)