*breaks up the RAM monopoly

*breaks up the RAM monopoly
Based China taking action against manufacturers screwing consumers
guru3d.com/news-story/dram-makers-likely-to-get-fined-millions-(if-not-billions)-on-antitrust-fines-in-china.html

Attached: china flag.jpg (1280x720, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2018/06/22/technology/china-micron-chips-theft.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

god dammit i need to buy ram now and china hasn't killed the prices yet. i'm gonna regret this in a bit, but i seriously need it now.

muh free market

Fines the competition , steals their tech .

nytimes.com/2018/06/22/technology/china-micron-chips-theft.html

Yes, THIS time it's going to work

Attached: IMG_20180623_074445.jpg (1080x1209, 334K)

Protectionism is only bad when Trump does it.

China is only fining them so they can get the startup money they need to flood the market with stolen ram designs and cheap knockoff ram.

Enjoy your cheap shitty ram in the future.

I mean, really, THIS time they'll definitely stop doing it

Attached: IMG_20180624_094952.jpg (1080x1546, 271K)

This, it is the same thing as allways. Steal tech and make shitty copies, use politics and do not apply law as seen fit to make it happen

If the fine is big enough then it will. That said EU and US fine is calculated by % of the cartel sales.

>the place where you manufacture your ram start ramming their dick into your asshole
they'll stop this time

This

>based
>china

Pick one. They only thing they are "based" at is creating cheap shit.

Anything short of like $5 billion is chump change for Samsung.

Samsung probably won't even care, what are they going to do about it? Stop importing Samsung chips? With Samsung's current market share?

In 50-60s everyone said same thing about Japan. Japan was considered "cheap shit", here we are now.

China is a statist shithole. Japan is a Feudal shithole with most of the Feudal Lords being renamed to "CEO".

Semiconductors tend to be fabbed in the US and shipped to China for assembly. Chinese foundries are actually pretty primitive.

The difference is that unlike Japan, China is filled with uncivilized savages. They will never produce quality products because they can't actually appreciate what quality is.

How many times does the RAM cartel need to be fined before they stop pulling this shit?
My brother just bought 4GB of DDR4 desktop DIMM for US$50, which is fucking ridiculous in 2018.

Hoping that Chinese fabs flood the market with cheap RAM - even if it performs like crap it'll still put enough heat on the big 3 to lower prices.

LOL
I bought 32 GB DDR4 RAM a few months ago, but never assembled my new PC due to laziness
Now it's worth 400€

user they calculate every government fine in their profit margins when hiking the price up.
The only way to stop them is if you give them a fine massive enough that they can't really pay it with the profit money from selling products for 4 years straight at 200~400% their real price.
See the issue here?
Even this 8 billion won't do shit to samsung, the real fine would have to be like 10% to 15% of their profits from 2014 to 1018.
Also tech jesus made an interesting comparison where every time the prices went up their stocks went as well. see the catch?

>stealing designs for fucking RAM and NAND flash
lmaooooooooo
Literally just a bunch of memory blocks with a simple controller. Do they have any designers in China?

Either they need to be broken up like AT&T was decades ago, or fined 80 billion USD _each_, with a full audit and a jump to an 800 billion USD fine if they're found to collude again in the next 20 years. The second fine would more or less be a corporate death sentence.

Price fixing to keep the price going down is someehat acceptable and people dont really notice (hello WD, Seagate and HGST) but ramping up the price of something as common as DDR4 memory by more than 3x since its introduction in ~2015 is ridiculous

Tech Jesus says to expect the fine from China to be up to $8 billion.

Governments are probably cool with the price fixing since they can keep demanding a cut of the profit, the fines are basically a tax

I'll just get four times the ECC and upgrade from my 2x E5 2680 CPUs to a EPYC or TR.

Attached: 1521548310382.jpg (500x375, 62K)

fuck off chinese shill

This.

>Korea, Taiwan, and US respond by imposing a RAM ban on China
>China's tech industry collapses

In a perfect world

>In a perfect world
What, you want to pay $200 for 4GB of RAM? Are you shilling or just braindamaged?

I'd rather pay that than let the chinks destroy international tech market so they can control it. You're worried about $200 for 4GB of RAM when they could simply cut the supply altogether as a weapon against nations.

8 billion fine is petty cash for a company like Samsung. It's not going to "destroy" anything. If anything, the fine should be at least an order of magnitude larger.

> people fall for the 16gb ram meme
> demand vastly increases
> charge more because you can

> somehow this is illegal ?

lmao

Ok so if they get fined what is stopping them to up the prices and make the money back in a month?

Thank you based China. I hope the ram manufacturers go bankrupt.

WTF, I LOVE CHINA NOW

Ancaps BTFO

Attached: languages.png (577x605, 303K)

If the profit they got from price gouging is greater than fines, then they will price gouge all the time.

Its business school 101.

>Hopes ram manufacturers go bankrupt
>Doesn't understand that means the supply disappears driving prices to the stratosphere

>i need to buy ram now
>i seriously need it now
Go back to faget

wtf im team china now

^This. China is at a roughly late 70s-early 80s tech level.

this is good

actually, the US did it a long time ago, and never stopped doing it... so yeah, it's only bad when US competitors do it

>breaks up the ram economy by sponsoring their own and fining competitors.

when will the rest of the world literally embargo china already? this is fucking stupid. China is literally doing more damage to our planet than anyone else.

>t.samsung
It's over you son of a bitch. BASED China has but an end to your reign of terror once and for all.

They're only doing this because China is entering the RAM market and they don't like that the competition has put them to shame. This is basically some Trump level protectionism.

>Protectionism is bad
fuck off globalist scum.

Protectionism as in protecting China. They still need globalists for industrial espionage otherwise how will they be able to form an original thought on their own?

Remember not to buy Chink-made DRAM for 10 years. let their fabs mature.
on the flip side, koreans will have time to undercut Chinese RAM manufacturers before they make it near-perfect.

>Enjoy your cheap shitty ram in the future.

Works for me pal.

A really small amount.

They tried to steal people from Nanya and Micron and pay them stupid amounts of money but they all refused because nobody wants to live in china.

>cheap shitty chink ram floods the market
>Samsung, Micron and SK hynix lose marketshare and see themselves forced to lower prices to compete
Not seeing a downside, lad.

I'd honestly rather have cheap shitty ram I can actually afford than ram I can never have. And if it forces the market to come back down later on then it's win-win.

>8 billion fine is petty cash for a company like Samsung. It's not going to "destroy" anything. If anything, the fine should be at least an order of magnitude larger.
Korea subsidies its tech industry. They let the car manufacturer Daewoo go bankrupt as a lesson but they'd never let Samsung do the same.
Also Samsung's margins aren't that large so whilst it may be chump change its not something Samsung would enjoy for their image as a Korean tech powerhouse