Why would anyone use a desktop when this exists?

Why would anyone use a desktop when this exists?

Attached: PE4C_V2.1_8_800_1.jpg (800x800, 116K)

gee if only I had some kind of box on my desk that I could keep that in. wait..

eGPU enclosures are portable, unlike desktops. And if you're not a useless fuck you can perfectly craft one yourself.

Because you're losing approximately 10 to 20 percent of the performance of the GPU you're sticking in it, in addition to the lackluster performance you already get from a laptop compared to a similarly priced desktop.

So? Why would I need to take my GPU with me anywhere?

>wut are cpu bottlenecks

t. corelet

>asking stupid questions

You can perfectly leave it at home when you don't need it.

So if I never need to take it anywhere, who cares if its portable?

>That 42 hour old boomer that kills threads for this

Attached: all me.png (999x963, 551K)

>buying laptops with soldered processors

What the fuck am I looking at and why does it concern the average user

Other people do you fucking sociopath.

The future of computers.

Not enough power, storage etc.

lmao no

Since Broadwell there is no more PGA laptop chips. The era of replaceable CPUs on laptops is over.

Whats that matter fag? Did this thread bump your shitty open source thread off the board? Cry more for us if it did.

Because I specifically don't want that.

this looks fucking retarded

It's free software, not open source.

>unlike desktops

Attached: file.png (800x446, 529K)

>but moooom, I gotta game between my classes!

No. I don't see a reason for desktop replacements except for a very few cases. I had "gaming" laptops as well and it was a horrible phase.

If I needed a notebook for mobility I would go with a thin and long lasting one. Games get played on my home rig.

Why get chunky notebooks? Its 2018. I can only understand Thinkpads for the price point, though I would think of a Transformer T100. I'm actually thinking of getting one because they are cheap now. x86 but lightweight.

delet this

Because desktop computers are much more reliable and easy to repair.
Its just the ol "big block of metal chad vs tiny plastic virgin".

Good luck carrying a monitor with you.

Okay.

But why would anyone want to use a laptop for gaming? I don't understand this shit.
Desktops are for power use and gaming, laptops are for taking to your university/workplace to do word and spreadsheet editing. Instead of a chunky 2000 dollar laptop I'd much prefer a 1200 dollar PC with far superior specs and a nice lightweight 300 dollar notebook.

>he's an adult who still plays with toys

Attached: 1529675557663.png (643x537, 231K)

>he's an adult that doesn't play with toys

Attached: 1529730417724.jpg (600x906, 131K)

good luck carrying an external gpu module and additional power supply
muh portability

Attached: oh no what ever will I do.png (2275x1313, 3.28M)

That succubus is not a toy, user.

That's what she said.

Someone has been drinking the Apple® juice.

i always wanted a system where the computer uplinks to a big box of big chips. surely with thunderbolt and such the at/atx era could come to an end

Attached: tisystem.jpg (325x287, 22K)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>using pc card in 2018

Attached: trunkorg_002.jpg (900x600, 401K)

You'd need a monitor to use an eGPU anyway

Oh god we have a thread up for this.

I drive a truck and have a better computer than 99% of people on Jow Forums so before you come in here talking shit know that I have a 1950x Threadripper build @ 4.2ghz on water so now that the dick swinging is out of the way,

How do these things work? I have an E6520 I like to play gaymen on with 4c8t chip and a GTX285 collecting dust. It has an EC slot and I'd like to have it in my truck (I drive an OTR semi) for gaymen.

I don't want to bring it into truck stops when I'm on my laptop in the truck stop I'm just bullshitting on here and getting my munch on.

It seems like the best of both worlds for someone like me but it sounds almost too good to be true, do they display to the internal monitor on the laptop or do I need to carry a separate monitor to hook it up to?

Or maybe just carry a VGA->HDMI dongle and connect it to the nearest TV.

Attached: 1529168934276.jpg (1809x794, 278K)

Some setups can use the laptop screen, do your own research but i believe it depends on whether the laptops hdmi can be used as an input rather than just an output.

Why would anyone own a home theater when movies can be watched on portable devices?

Attached: 1529120244863.jpg (720x576, 52K)

>mfw people unironically shill failed experiments
Do people even learn about the product they're shilling and the pros-cons associated with it?

Or do they just look at a stock photo and screech "OOOH SHINY" instead of thinking about how useful it'd be to them personally and formulating their own opinion instead of relying on corporate techwank?

Attached: _navelgazing_unabomber.jpg (300x300, 25K)

Consumers are gonna consume user. Rational thought has nothing to do with it.

Whenever it's encountered it is disappointing nevertheless. It's a shame.

Attached: 454.png (684x710, 72K)

Chink shit not guaranteed to work.

PCIe bandwidth.
Sometimes a 1x connection at 2.0 speed is an awful idea.

You can use the internal screen on all supported laptops as long as the card is Nvidia because of Optimus.

This is untrue. All video input from the card travels through the ExpressCard/Mini-PCI-E/Thunderbolt adapter. The HDMI is on the other end and is connected to the GPU dock.

in case you haven't noticed all your shit is chink shit

Nope

I'm not too poor to afford both a laptop and desktop.

It will run at max at 4X but mostly 2X. If at least it was 8X I would go for it.

>buying laptops with soldered processors
>buying laptops without many ram slots
>buying laptops without M.2 and PCIe support
>buying a laptop that doesn't come with a replaceable screen
>buying a laptop with a screen smaller than 20 inches
>buying a laptop that doesn't work without a battery
>buying a laptop that doesn't have every port you'll ever need
>buying a laptop that doesn't support half a dozen drives in RAID
>buying a laptop without a standardized motherboard mount

Oh wait, let me rephrase that
>buying a laptop

Where's the dedicated GPU?
Monitor?
Speakers?
Keyboard?
Mouse?
UPS?

why would anyone use this when a laptop exists, or even a tablet?

>Or do they just look at a stock photo and screech "OOOH SHINY"

Attached: do you know where we are.jpg (944x712, 96K)

That's not a Citroën Xsara Picasso

>Looking for gaymen at a truck stop

>get that deskmini gtx

>have a i7 and a 1080 in a box under 2 litres

bruh that pc is smaller than more egpu's, and even smaller than alot of graphics cards.

I can build a ballsier desktop into the size of an egpu case

why would anyone bother with onions-tier laptops?

I plan to do movie editing on the cheap
Will, I'm assuming out of my ass, an egpu's limited bandwidth not hinder this, since most of the calculations are done on the card itself? Games won't reach full FPS as the express card slot limits the info going in and out frequently while gaming but movie editing don't have this limit no?
I've already have an i7 3840QM overclocked to 4.4ghz so it shouldn't be a bottleneck, and unlike adobeshit Resolve is mostly gpu-based.

Attached: 1495813425409.webm (1280x720, 1.14M)

And yes, an egpu's gonna be like a dock that I already have too, having this setup just means I can keep all my data to one device