Steam Link

Okay Jow Forums, have anyone of you have got this shit?

Is it worth it?

I am planning on buying steam link + controller and my father was thinking about getting one more link, but not for games.

Question is: Can I use another accessories to control the steam link? Mouse and keyboard for example? Can I use it for other things than games? Can it play movies or if it is just streaming from pc, can I open KODI with it and watch streams?

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can use any other program with it if you add it to Steam as a game that's not from the Steam service. I use mine to launch VLC and Firefox in my living room. However, for games, it gets pretty mixed responses. Sometimes games have weird resolutions. Sometimes sound cuts out for no reason. But those aren't issues I've had terribly often

You can find all of your answers on this thing called the internet.

Which is what he is using currently

That is why I came here.

I was searching for it and I mostly found shit that was talking about the controller, not about the accessories I can use with the Link that are compatible.

Thanks a lot!

Bought it last year for like $5. It's a fun thing, you can use it as a "chromecast" or just stream your desktop from your PC so anything you see on your monitor can be translated and controlled from your TV. You can use mouse+kb and a controller, it has 3 USB ports for this very reason.
Unlike someone mentioned, I don't have any drop outs when streaming with rather shitty router.

You can use mouse & kb, controller works as then too if your lazy (joystick works as mouse, right trigger is right click etc.) You can stream your desktop (I watch movies all the time).

Well I can see that I will have to tinker with our home network because right now it is working pretty shitty.

Now I look forward to getting this!

ok. I see them putting this on sale all the time. Can someone redpill a Jow Forums noob what the steam link is and what it does?

Try switching back to 2.4 GHz if you have thicc walls

OP again.

What about the performance? I know the specs but is there any problems such as overheating etc. With longer using sessions?

From which I understand it is always turned on (it has no buttons right?), And I know that it is only transsfering the video from PC, but still...

Right now we use some Android box from China on TV and it is not always working optimally.

Are there any hardware/performance issues?

typical nu-male

Pretty much it is just a streaming device. If you want to play your PC games on big tele in the living room and you do not want to move your PC, you just use this with wired/wireless conection to the PC mentioned and you can play it.

The input is from Steam Link, game runs on the PC and you get the output on tele.

So virtually useless for 98% of people. Got it.

Think of it as a long wired or wireless DP/HDMI cable with ability to use input devices

Imagine if you could connect your TV as a monitor to your desktop and control it from the couch at the same time. This is literally all what it does.
It's getting warm instantly not too uncomfortable. it's kinda always ON but it has like a power state feature where if you select different source other than HDMI to which it is connected it enters a sleep mode. Nope, no buttons.
I had video lags a few times when I used default settings but nothing hardware related. It was my fault for streaming in an apartment with like 10 other devices on the same frequency.

How dares he use a TECHNOLOGY this fucking cuck

Also, thank you for the explanation

Thanks for elaborating!

You are welcome mate.

Other thing that I didn't mention that I found interesting is that it installs it's own audio drivers and virtual audio devices. When you turn on the stream it switches to it and your PC speakers or headphones whatever become silent, this way you can forget about switching off audio equipment when you're watching something loud. It was kinda important to me.

I'm also considering getting one for streaming movies.

This is just a little thing but man it is nice! Very nice!

I am starting to really like it.

Ordering today!

OP again with another questions.

What about the controller?

I used to be console peasant (PS3 fag) when I was younger. 2 years ago I finally updated my almost 10 y.o. rig and became PC master race again.

If you could compare the feels and responsiveness of the Steam Controller to other controllers would you choose it over other controllers?

I have seen the (well compared to consoles) fuckload of settings and customization of controlls that the Steam cotroller has, and I feel really comfy with buying this, but I would like to know your opinions.

Are there any design or quality missteps? Is it durable?

Attached: 1_2IHJsnufECUQBSm6gT0g8A.jpg (1920x1080, 105K)

its big, bigger than a ps controller about the same size of a xbox controller.

the shoulder buttons are super hard and takes several pounds of force to actuate. really awful

it was meant to be a keybaord + controller hybrid and does that okay i guess. its for games where a regular controller wont cut it (playing civ while lying down on your back on the couch for example)

don't expect the controller to be good for driving games (it's not) or good for fighting games (it's not) or good for shooters (debatable)
it was made for games that won't work with controllers but where you dont want to carry your kb+m around.

it requires 2 double A batteries to run and you'll be eating through the batteries if you use this a lot (you wont)

I got mine from a past deal and never used it. the steam link is actually useful since i treat it as a super long hdmi cable

You can also install Kodi and Retropie on it, which is pretty nice, didn't test much tho.

I bought mine on a sale a bit over a year ago. I use it occasionally to play some old games, while my 360 pad is collecting dust (I've never had a console, so never really got used to pads).

Comfortability-wise, it's not as good as the 360 pad. Similar size but more bulky design, the sole analog stick is quite far away and gets tiring to use after a while and the bumpers require a lot of force to press. On the positive side, I find the triggers much more comfortable to use with their wide design, shorter trajectory and less force required to hold them down.

Build quality seems good, mine doesn't have any signs of wear yet and I've dropped it to the floor a few times now without damage (got tangled into my headphone cable), though the second time that happened the battery pins inside got bent a little and I had to bend them back into shape to make them maintain connection again. The analog stick has much less free movement and requires less deadzone than on the 360.

The gyroscope is a very nice feature, I find it especially useful for steering in racing games and fine-tuning the touchpad aiming in shooters.

Using AA batteries for power is a questionable design choice, though the battery life is good. You'll still want to invest in rechargeables if you plan to use it even semi-occasionally.

The largest drawback by far is on the software side, with tight coupling to Steam. Basically, the controller is useless without Steam running in the background at all times, and the configuration interface was quite buggy the last time I used it, though it's been a while. On Linux you can use SC-Controller to manage it though, even while Steam is running, or on systems where you don't want Steam at all.

It's a Chromecast with a USB hub. $15 is a decent price.

Only get it on sale but it's great if you live in a sharehouse and want to play couch games like niddhog with your buddy bros.

Attached: .png (717x155, 70K)

what happens if i bring steamlink to my friend 1 block away? i have 100/10 mbps dsl line and so does he. is it possible to play anything turn based, or it needs to be via same router connection?
Another thing im wondering, cant it play bluerays? @ what quality it stops and needs extra time to sync/buffer ? i know if i try to "play to device" blueray or anything beyond 2k video will be playing catch up

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

Is this a pricing error or legit?

legit....

I stream pirated movies in the living room, and was playing portal the other day. Mixed resolutions on different games. I think if you get it cheap it's worth it.

>the shoulder buttons are super hard and takes several pounds of force to actuate
Wrong.
>it requires 2 double A batteries to run and you'll be eating through the batteries
I played the entirety of Talos Principle and Portal 2 (total of 63 hours) and not once did the batteries die. For the 3 years I've had the controller I've only had to change the batteries once.

>i have 100/10 mbps dsl line and so does he. is it possible to play anything turn based, or it needs to be via same router connection?
ideally you use steamlink with a gigabit lan connection, you're basically streaming hd video so the higher the bandwidth you have available the better
you can probably use it over the web somehow (I don't specifically know how) but the latency will be terrible and you probably won't enjoy the blocky compressed stream from 10mbps upload
I tried to like it but it's just too alien of a control and the lack of a proper dpad really hurts it in some types of games, I couldn't get it to work well at all in a fighting game for instance
it's somewhat decent at emulating a mouse though

>or good for shooters (debatable)
Controllers are never good for shooters anyways

>sentence cuts out
What did he mean by this?

>Can I use another accessories to control the steam link? Mouse and keyboard for example? Can I use it for other things than games? Can it play movies or if it is just streaming from pc
yes
>can I open KODI with it and watch streams?
only if you have these on your PC, it wont do it by itself like a roku would

it turns on when you turn your steam controller on

20 euro shipping tho

steam controller for mouse+keyboard games like civilization / stellaris / master of orion / slower-RTS if you're playing RTS with a controller at all, etc

xbox/dualshock for platformers/racing/fighting/etc ("real games")

>A device made for streaming PC to TV is a video game
Succ butthole in hell you wrong and frothy nerd faggot.

Attached: 1529544125990.gif (300x226, 1.8M)

Here you go m8:
store.steampowered.com/