I'm learning ruby as my first language. is this a bad idea?

i'm learning ruby as my first language. is this a bad idea?

Attached: ruby.png (959x833, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(programming_language)
projectoberon.com/
eiffel.org/documentation
youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM
ada2012.org/
spark-2014.org/about
youtube.com/watch?v=0yXwnk8Cr0c
youtube.com/watch?v=plXboBx7LUs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes you won't have a real understanding of programming, just a warped view through the lense of a hipster trash language.

Start with C or nothing at all.

yes.

Yes, you should be learning Crystal

Start with C, then move on to lisp, haskell and rust. Then you can learn some cute little scripting language.

is python a good alternative?

Learn whatever the fuck you want, but learn actual CS along the way

No matter what language you choose, Jow Forums will shit all over it, so pick a language you actually enjoy

Programming is full of frustration and actually enjoying the language will go a long way

If you learn Ruby you have to start with the book "The Well Grounded Rubyist", Ruby is not like Python where you can get going in a half hour just by reading some online tutorials. You have to understand Ruby at a deep level, and when you do you have full control of the language.

How about Oberon?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(programming_language)
projectoberon.com/

Yeah, but Ruby is really esoteric compared to other popular languages (c, python, Java) despite all /g cuckoldry

it's very good scripting language

If you are going down the OO road, Eiffel is a small language that can be master entirely.
eiffel.org/documentation

But... youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM

No, Do C -> Python -> Haskell
Then learn languages as needed.

JavaScript is just as stupid, but way more common.

No, don't do that.

C is is trash. Stop using and stop promoting such an unsafe language.

C is simple and powerful! Err, well, it used to be...

Way too esoteric , theres minimal learning resources. I like wirthian languages though

No just fucking learn stuff and stop posting on Jow Forums, any step forward is a good one

ada2012.org/
spark-2014.org/about

youtube.com/watch?v=0yXwnk8Cr0c
youtube.com/watch?v=plXboBx7LUs

>minimal learning resources
Unfortunately, the few books that exist are, like most programming books, absurd and obnoxious. Hey, OP, study technical writing.

Attached: ada-spark.png (600x600, 15K)

Take your own advice, brainlet.

LOL@the two guys on the right! WTF?

Attached: passion_love.jpg (1200x348, 79K)

honestly best advice user i will do this

No you won't. You will keep replying to yourself and attacking others and fishing for a fight in an attempt to redeem esteem. Welcome to Jow Forums, bitch. We own you now!

>C is is trash. Stop using and stop promoting such an unsafe language.

I would never say to use C for anything besides embedded programming for real projects. But C teaches you the fundamentals, so that you can actually have an understanding of how the computer works. Ruby and any other "high level" languages such as Python, Java, even C++ make life too easy for the novice programmer.

>never say to use C for anything besides embedded programming
C is *the* unix systems programming language, brainlet.

>doesn't understand the difference between systems programming and embedded programming

>study technical writing
Start here - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Neutral_point_of_view

Ruby is a cute version of perl so everyone should probly learn it. I hear crystal and elixir are serious versions of a similar syntax though.

>lisp
That would be way worse.