Visual basic What went wrong?

Visual basic What went wrong?
Why is not more popular ?
I use to love it back in the day,
such fun to program

Attached: microsoft-visual-basic-15.jpg (700x539, 92K)

It's a trash language. Try C# if you really need to work on .NET, or F#.

Why? Why is it trash?

what happened is that awesome c# was born

It was a product of its time. Nothing is useful forever. The passage of time is what went wrong. In its day it was great.

Unnecessarily verbose to program in, weak typing, shitty libraries, etc. It's not very good for anything.

>What went wrong?
>Why is not more popular ?
VB6 was murdered because it made programming accessible to normies.

It was good for making AOL proggies, I remember that much.

no lie.

>made a cool mill+ in 10 years off of writing vb6 programs for small businesses.

>VB6 was murdered because it made programming accessible to normies.
This more than anything.

This. Having worked with a number of small businesses in the 90s and 2000s, VB6 was their bread and butter.

Delphi was better, people in europe used Delphi instead of VB6

>Visual basic What went wrong?
It died because Java and C# came out. VB7 is basically C# with VB syntax.

Also scripting languages like Python, PHP and Javascript came out to replace VBA, Perl and Tcl

>What went wrong?
It was to basic.

Microsoft killed it when they released VB.NET, completely breaking compatibility

Otherwise it was a great environment. Most fun I ever had programming (before that I did QBASIC).

>there are third world countries that still teach VB6 as a formal subject in 2018

we're discussing VB not javascript.

ahue ahue

We're talking about real languages here, but thanks for the laugh.

Attached: glaugh.jpg (500x370, 59K)

What an awful language, the epitome of boomerism

Im glad its over

VB.Net is a greate language. The only thing it doesn't have is C# unsafe stuff.

if you want something easy and familiar, C# with WinForms is the way to go -- apart from the curly brace syntax, it's immediately familiar to anyone who's done VB programming and it's not hard to pick up
sure, WinForms deprecated, but it just fucking works and lets a VB programmer just get work done ASAP, no mess, no fuss

VB.net killed VB. It's C# with disgusting syntax and isn't backwards compatible with VB6 stuff anyway. There's no reason to write in VB.net when C# is easier to write and easier to read, unless you're absolutely fixated on BASIC.

I liked delphi better.

>VB.net killed VB. It's C# with disgusting syntax
it's C# with a more readable syntax.

>Delphi was better, people in europe used Delphi instead of VB6
As someone who actually remembers the 2000s, fuck you. VB6 was a breath of fresh air compared to the clusterfuck that was Delphi.

>sure, WinForms deprecated, but it just fucking works and lets a VB programmer just get work done ASAP, no mess, no fuss
Why the fuck would you not just use VB6 then?

these
Delphi was great. The only problem was that the multi-window environment was crap.