Why isn't there a single good AIO for this thing?

Why isn't there a single good AIO for this thing?

Attached: threadripper.jpg (800x533, 257K)

Other urls found in this thread:

enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=109&lv1=118&no=370
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There id/would be no market for it, besides the product being niche already.
The enthusiast builds his custom cooling solution, because he has the money at this point, while the professional just slaps an air cooler on it as he will never touch the overclocking settings ever.

Attached: Cooler_1.jpg (693x600, 113K)

>while the professional just slaps an air cooler on it as he will never touch the overclocking settings ever.

OP again, I wouldn't say that's universally true. For example, at our small animation studio ALL of the render nodes and workstations are overclocked and we use AIOs on all of them. Pic related, one of the recent Threadripper nodes we put together. And no we haven't had any leaks or issues with the Corsair AIOs. The problem is basically this:

>Asetek coolers: Mediocre performance because of undersized cold plate meant for Intel-sized IHS.
>Noctua air-coolers: Performance is underwhelming compared to an AIO with full-size cold plate. Might not matter for most people, but during rendering all the cores are going at 100% for days, sometimes weeks on end. In this case, an Enermax AIO can give you around 10 degrees cooler temps than the Noctua air-cooler, which is significant. That's beside the point though because these Noctua coolers are huge and won't fit in a 4U rackmount case. Might be a okay solution for the workstations though.
>Enermax cooler: Not trustworthy, but very good performance when they work. I'll make a separate post about this in a minute.
>Custom loop: Not an option here because of the cost and maintenance required.

Attached: Untitled-1---Copy.jpg (1000x563, 167K)

>A PC rack
I'm not sure what you're on about here. Performance of the coolers aside. You asked why there isn't a "good" one.
I answered it's too niche and you fostered that even further by posting an absolute niche (use-) case. You should have stopped right there. Your question is already answered.

So quick PSA regarding the Enermax AIOs for Threadripper: Don't buy them.

We built one Threadripper workstation and three render nodes in the last six months. The workstation uses an Enermax Liqtech 360, and one of the render node uses the Enermax 240 in a push/pull config (the other two nodes use Corsair coolers). Both of the machines with the Enermax coolers are now having issues with runaway temps.

The first sign of problems with the Enermax cooler was with the fans. A week into the build one of the bearings starting going. Rather than dealing with the RMA process and having downtime on a workstation, we ordered some industrial Noctuas and chucked the shitty Enermax fans. Problem solved, for a while. Fast forward a few months and now neither of the coolers are doing their jobs properly. We disabled overclocking on both machines and the render node is throttling down to ~3.1GHz to keep temps below 68 degrees.

Looking on Newegg it seems that every recent review is negative and these coolers have a tendency to just shit themselves after a few months. So it seems like Enermax = shitty engineering, QC and support. If you have one, keep an eye on your temps.

Attached: IMG_2244---Copy.jpg (1280x1920, 791K)

Because AIOs are bad.

What is an AIO?

A less sensible name for CLC.

Noctua threadripper is good

CPU liquid cooler? Does AIO stand for air (hot) in out?

CLC= Closed Loop (Liquid) Cooler
AIO= All In One (Cooler)

TR4 is still new and there isn't too heavy a demand for TR4 specific AIOs as people will just use the noctua coolers or get some other AIO even it it fucking sucks.

>Noctua coolers are huge and won't fit in a 4U rackmount case
It's a big cooler

WOW That's fucking brilliant! The guys who coined these terms should quit their day jobs and do this professionally.

>overclocking
>professional

yeah, risking your work over a few minutes less is professional

4U

What I'm hoping is that we will see more Threadripper specific AIOs as well as some proper workstation-class motherboards once TR2 starts rolling out.

Gaining performance (and sometimes reducing power consumption) on tasks that aren't mission critical at the cost of reliability can be worth it, the guys managing the SETI hardware at the Greenbank telescope have their GPUs water cooled

You guys are a bunch of fucking idiots. For 100% 24/7 overclocked usage you should be running your machines in an AC cooled room with the biggest passive sinks you can fit. Any other configuration is irresponsible.

It's called fucking Enermax you fucking noob

Server room is at 70 degrees.
>Passive cooling for render nodes.
Never mind, just shut the fuck up.

Try reading the thread beyond the first post you mong.

>>Custom loop: Not an option here because of the cost and maintenance required.
>bitching about an extra 500$

If you really cared about the extra performance, you wouldn't be complaining.

If you have a bunch of threadrippers, buy an industrial pump and room size radiator with a box fan to cool all of them at once.

Because AIO is overrated.

>cut tube
>add fitting
>add new pump
>???
>profit

>"animation studio"
what a joke you can do all your animation and rendering with a couple of cpus from 2011 for like $50. check out cpubenchmark, you are getting jewed

let me guess

DUAL CORE IS ENOUGH!

there will be a ventirad soon for it made by cooler master if i remember well
they coolled the 32 cores with it during tests so i guess you should go for that instead of an AIO

enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=109&lv1=118&no=370

Attached: LIQTECH TR4-000-360.png (300x200, 45K)

This, don't fall for watercooling meme.

>Telling me to shut up for being right.
Ambient active cooling is a meme for most applications, including yours! It's only necessary when you have extreme density, and in that case you only get benefit by having a centralized custom loop.
>Oh user, you sound so sure! Why is active cooling a meme?
Because active cooling is only necessary when you're overclocking beyond stock voltages. Overvolting results in a rapid nonlinear increase in power consumption and subsequently, heat output. You might be able to squeeze out 10% higher clocks with water, at a cost of 50% increased power consumption. And since you're using a climate controlled server room you pay for that twice as AC load. Guess what literally everyone who builds, hosts, maintains, and sells compute figured out? Overclocking isn't worth it. You're far better off spending that power bill on more hardware, where a 100% increase in cost leads to a nice linear 100% increase in performance.l

All you need is air cooling for threadripper

one of them maybe not. a cluster though....

>using consumer grade devices for enterprise-level needs

my question is somewhat related to this thread
what are actual cheap and quiet fans ?
i had link to some that apparently had a little legend status but i lost their name and link

not not noctua ones
anyone can help ?

Not that user, but you can't seriously be recommending using heatsinks without any fans. The addition of a fan drastically lowers the surface area, and therefore the size of the heatsink you need for the same cooling.

Cooler Master

ahh yes i think it's apevia or something like that
anyway thanks for halp

OP either buy the new version of the SP3 / TR4 socket noctuas that will have 33% greater fin density and the new fans or go with the Enermax LiqTech 360 radiator because that one has their own inhouse pump which moves 450L per hour instead of the anemic asetek shit you find in corsairs and so on.
Also it has a big as fuck cold plate that covers the entire socket since it's made just for that CPU.

Wasting 150~200 bucks on a high end cooling solution is nothing considering the price of those CPUs.

No shit you use fans. Just not water as it's completely unnecessary unless you're pushing OC limits.

Fans are active cooling so your post sounds awfully silly.

low installbase

Buddy, you are confusing server duty for rendering. I promise you no one is passively cooling a render farm. A 2.2GHz Xeons doing server duty is one thing, but that's a no-go for a bunch of 3.8+GHz i7s/TRs pegged at 100% on all cores for days at a time. They would thermal throttle even at stock speeds with passive cooling in a 65-70 degree room.
The problem with server parts like Xeon/EPYC, is you get much worse performance per dollar and they are not great for rendering performance because of the conservative clocks.

Thank you for the suggestion, but like I said, we already have some experience with Enermax and it hasn't been good.

Attached: enermaxquality.jpg (1121x5130, 1.85M)

Dedicated hosters sell rendering boxes loaded with i7s. Some even offer them with a moderate overclock (probably self-binned chips that run higher on stock voltage). Cooled on air. You can load them 100% for weeks, and I've done this for encoding video libraries. The CPU temp goes up to a reasonable load temp and stays there forever. Performance never dips. I have a 2600k in my personal machine that's running at +40mV and 4.4 GHz. Cooled on air. Hit it with a long job and the fans spin up, the temp goes to 75 c, and performance is dead flat for days. You're just absolutely full of shit.

Your boys should do some experiments and spreadsheeting some day. You'll find that heatsinks don't degrade in capacity over time, and you'll find that giving a significant overvolt to get max OC makes no financial sense when considering TCO.

Yeah I conflated active and water because I was having a stroke or something. Cut me some slack.

>people will just use the noctua coolers
Confirming this. Last thing I need is for a leak to happen and blow up my whole rack. The only benefit is going from 3.7 all core to 3.9. The risk of downtime isn't worth the benefit.

user said passive cooling, so I figured he was talking about no fans, as in.... passive cooling. That's what I replied to. Obviously air-cooling won't thermal-throttle.

Attached: snk-_p0063p_1.jpg (3600x2400, 589K)

Cuz most AIO brands don't actually make AIOs and just rebrand them from Asetek whom tries their very best to patent troll and sue everyone else making AIOs.

The ones that do make their own AIOs have to avoid being sued by Asetek, spend money on their own R&D and product lines which may or may not succeed because all the faggots buy Asetek rebranded AIOs anyway so why fucking spend tons of money investing in TR AIOs when it's a niche market dominated by air coolers and might never see a return or profit on?

Fucking Asetek needs to crash and burn.

>Enermax Liqtech TR360
>Not good

See me after class.

Corsair H100i V2

AIO.

Attached: lenovo-ideacentre-aio-510-22-hero.png (725x515, 61K)

Preferred term is CLC
AIO is too inaccurate

Entire AIO or CLC market what ever you want to call it needs to burn. I fail to understand why CLCs are hyped so damn much and have such a large market when they don't do a good job compared to actual water cooling, there not quiet compared to air coolers and there unserviceable and become basically throw away after a few years.

that’s not a passive cooler.
That still requires airflow, it just so happens that the fan isn’t directly attached to it.

If those nodes are going in a rack, why not just go the server route of passive heatsinks and fuckoff powerful case fans to throw the heat across the room?