Why is the standart for software instalation to let the files be all over the place...

Why is the standart for software instalation to let the files be all over the place? Theres no need for shit in the registry, appdata, my documents, etc. Just make everything portable and self contained in a single folder you fucking cunts, save settings and shit all in .ini files or whatever, I want to move everything to a flash drive whenever I want and have no issues with it.
Also, yeah, linux does this too, at least package managers take care of it for you, but its still retarded.

Attached: 9b6d0aff7836e34e0ad331fcddfed9a6.jpg (333x226, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GsLZz8cZCzc
gobolinux.org/
portablefreeware.com/
lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

This. It's way more logical on Linux, but still far from ideal.
All applications should just be in /bin. That's it.
Everything related to system-wide, non-user-specific configuration should be in /etc, which has a stupid name anyway. just call it /conf.

My problem is that, when you uninstall a program, many of these things are not deleted.

>be macos
>apps go in the apps folder
HURR DURR ITS SUCH A BRAINLET OS LOL FACEBERG MACHINE OLOLOL KYS MACFAG

a good feature, but not compelling enough to want to go out and get one (or hack one together)

Incorrect. MacOS stores most GUI apps in /Applications, but there is still plenty of stuff spread throughout just like in Linux. There's a /bin, a /sbin, a /usr/bin/, a /usr/sbin, etc. All with lots in them.

its made that way so you won't lose your settings/cache files

Don't listen to his lies. See t. macfag

Docker / Snappy can do this

youtube.com/watch?v=GsLZz8cZCzc

Like, for instance, you can run Libre Office in a docker container
When you're done with it, rm the container and it's gone
Really, all your host machine needs is docker and x11
You can run all your other stuff in containers

but then your problem is reversed
everything is in the fucking container
isolated from all the other containers
let's say you want to use a yubikey in all your containers,
you have to build a base container with ykcs11 in it
and then you have to build all your other containers, on top of it, yourself
and then everything sucks again

SIP *blocks your path*

Windows should just bind ~ to %appdata% (I believe powershell already does this) and all programs put their data there.

you can alias directories inside the container (/etc/libreoffice for example) to directories on the main system (~/.config/libreoffice) and you have everything in your home directory.

But then you're back to littering your home directory with shit from everywhere
And container orchestration sucks too
My point was to instruct OP that it's yin and yang
Solving one problem creates the other

Powershell binds ~ to %userprofile% not %appdata%

With modern technology, I think it is time to build a new OS from the ground up. to much reliance on old standards and backward compatibility hold back linux(yes, even the kernel) and Windows.

Storing data for the future is already a shitshow, probably becoming unusual in 30 years. With your dumb shit it wouldn't last a month.

yep, this needs to be taught in comp sci classes
too many idiots shitting up all our computers
today's programs keep getting worse and worse as new waves of retards come stomping in and wrecking things that previously worked

I can't wait for this to happen
there's so much pure shit in tech, it sucks so much
imagine how much faster it would be as well

how do U solve multiple programs using the same config environment

My Documents folder once neatly contained 2 folders that I made for MYSELF and I expected it to only contain those 2 folders because the name suggests it's a folder for MY personal documents. But no, suddenly there are a bunch of config files/folders in it because people like to litter on other people's property.

check out gobolinux

>/bin
>/conf
>/etc
fuck you
fuck you and your outdated filesystem hierarchy
we need to modernize it
>/Users
fir the home directories
>/Programs
for all user installed programs
self contained, portable, config files in their own folder like /Programs/Firefox/user.conf
optionally with multiple versions /Programs/Firefox/58.0
>/Linux
for OS related stuff like kernel, drivers, OS programs like cat, sudo or ls and OS config files with real, understandable hierarchy
etc

It might be outdated, but its that way for a reason. Its also allows for a really expandable filesystem.

But gobolinux did exactly what you are talking about.
gobolinux.org/
maybe check it out.

gobolinux just hides the folders and creates symlinks
same what apple does
not a true new hierarchy

Thats true, but does that really matter for the end user?
also, there is a downside to actually reformating the file hierachy for all linux distros. As i mentioned, the current filesystem allows for expandability. if you are running out of space, and need more in /bin (for example), you can install an extra storage medium on the computer/server, copy the contents of /bin over to it, delete the contents of /bin, and mount the new storage to /bin.
This way you dont have to completely reinstall the os on a new HDD/SSD for one small issue.

/Linux are you retarded why would there be just one directory for all the files deemed as "OS stuff" do you know how many different types of files there are to run a Linux system I dont want to have to scroll through pages of drivers to look for config files, also kernel drivers need to be referenced by the kernel in specific directories or else the kernel could recognize other files as drivers how about you actually learn the file system rather than complaining to the devs to dumb it down for you so that brainlets like you can understand also check /usr for user stuff you fucking tard

and also windows gayms making "xyz Saved Games" folders all over the place

Look into nixos. All programs are stored in /nix/store and the whole system is described in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix

>I dont want to have to scroll through pages of drivers to look for config files
>/Linux/Drivers/Wireless/Broadcom/S0M3TH1NG41/driver.conf
wow that was hard
>also kernel drivers need to be referenced by the kernel in specific directories or else the kernel could recognize other files as drivers
then fucking change the kernel to recognize the new and better hierarchy
wow that was hard

>/usr is not user
???
>/etc is not etcetera additional files
???
>/bin is not the trash bin
???
>/usr/bin
>/bin
???

just admit it
current linux/unix filesystem was designed for an outdated 60s mainframe system and barely usable for todays modern personal computers

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

So make your own distro and see how that works out for you, gee. Nobody forces you to use the existing systems, it's all gpl licensed so build your own already

>current linux/unix filesystem was designed for an outdated 60s mainframe system
At least this is multi-user friendly unlike
>self contained, portable, config files in their own folder like /Programs/Firefox/user.conf
which is retarded.

no files scattered around the system
when you delete the program folder you delete everything that belongs to it

>random user decides to create a new kernel
gee, wonder how that will go
no
linux autists need to recognize the flaws of their system
Linus himself needs to back this
we need a fresh start
without x servers or audio servers
everything necessary for the desktop use in the kernel, just HOW IT SHOULD BE
then everything will just work
no video issues
no audio issues
doesn't that sound nice?
I wonder why no multi-billion company did not think of this yet
a true windows competitor

>when you delete the program folder you delete everything that belongs to it
And how would you handle dependencies on a system like that? not just dynamic libraries but software that depends on other fully functional software.

>software that depends on other fully functional software
???
you mean some software depending on firefox?
if you mean really small packages than it could include them in the installer, like windows does or on linux snap or appimage I don't know
no more dependency hell
every software is self contained
yes, software size would increase a bit, but it's worth the price

/bin is for binaries
/boot is for boot configuration, kernel image and stuff that you need to have booting system
/dev is for devices
/etc as you said it's not clear that it is for configuration files
/home is for user files
/lib and /lib64 is for libraries
/media is for storage devices
/mnt is just mount
/opt is for optional(whatever you want)
/proc is for process info/system info
/root home for root files
/sbin is for system binaries
/tmp is for temporary files
/var is for various files(mostly server stuff, like printer spool, web server files etc)
/sys is for system files, kernel stuff, firmware, modules etc
/usr hierarchy for system files that user installed

example for binaries:
/bin - essential binaries
/sbin - essential system binaries
/usr/bin - user binaries
/usr/sbin - user system binaries
/usr/local/bin - user local binaries
/usr/local/sbin - user local system binaries

so the difference beetween /bin and (/usr/bin or /usr/local/bin) is obvious, but to understand distinction beetween /usr/bin and /usr/local/bin you need to know that UNIX started as a network multi-user system. You logged in to server from some system and your local system stuff is mounted on /usr/local, the /usr/ things are mounted from network. That's all, everything is clear and how it should be. I may wasted time on this, but I wanted to write it because (bin for binaries triggered me very much).

As long as executables are located in pre-specified program folders that are common for all applications, and user-specific settings/profiles/whatever are located under a users documents/specific area only accessible by that user, then everything else is good.

>retarded programmers with 0 security knowledge who place executables in user-specific things such as profile/settings/whatever in folders accessible by everyone

A ton of big "professional" companies do this too.

heh, i've made mistake I mean't that "bin for trash bin triggered me"

>17 year old highschool faggot neet doesn't understand system architecture: the post

Retarded.

>all users should have access to my personal settings/configurations/etc related to programs without admin rights

yeah, real smart. Just stay in your parents basement.

Then you end up on redistributable hell which is one of the reasons Windows is so bloated right now.

Also why are you changing your IP with every post?

/bin is kinda misleading tho, because you can put scripts on it.

Attached: redistributableHell.jpg (775x329, 120K)

>dependency hell

You just install c++ 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013 and 2017 and .net 3.5 and you're good.

it's not like that, when you install programs they should be put in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin and symlinked to /bin. You shouldn't copy them to /bin. If somebody write theirs installer like that it is plainly wrong.

For the /usr/local thing, it's not wrong to install there, but on desktop it's kind of unnecesary to have two places that serves the same purpose. But we can't drop it because some people use linux distro as desktop and other people use them in network system scenarios.

>redistributable hell
that's just a windows fuckup

>Also why are you changing your IP with every post?
looks like the phone carrier changes my IP when I reconnect to mobile data

I meant /bin being binaries, a script is not the same as compiled ELF executable.

>put in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin and symlinked to /bin
That strikes me as a terrible idea.

>1. have All that shit in program subfolder bloat
>2. Have uninstaller ask "do you want to keep bloat?"
>3a. User answers no -> remove bloat
>3b. Uaer answers yes -> uninstall program but keep [drive]:/[path]/muhProgramName/bloat
>4. ?????
>5. PROFIT!

Yes, you are right with this one.

I think that the reason why there is no standard location for scripts is because in that times every utilities were written in C, so they didn't have need for it.

By not writing programs using the same config environment.

>I wonder why no multi-billion company did not think of this yet
hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sometimes it may cause problems, it's just historical practice. On modern systems it may fuck up if package managers manage packages in their own ways.

Linux is growing different with time from UNIX ways. It may be bad idea too do this the old way.

Yesterday, I was reinstalling my windows after 5 years. The amount of trash just from 5-6 programs left all around disc c: was horrendous.

>also firefox hiding your user profile in 3 places, but actually only 1 is necessary to copy everything and the other are used when you want to uninstall firefox and they revert all the settings.
>also applications that are only installed as a shortcut and an exe file and they install themselves into programdata folder.
>don't forget about c++ executables or specific autistic versions of directx for some games

>just

Shouldn’t it be GNU/ and then have Linux/ as a sub directory?

>this justifies scattering shit all over My Documents, Windows/temp, three different places in %APPDATA%, a separate .[program] folder in the user profile and putting shit into the regestry

This is why I ultimately don't bother with My Documents at all. What also pisses me off to no end is the same treatment of the root of the user folder (pic related). It may not be specifically labeled for a particular purpose, but it's still my folder god damn it. AppData is right fucking there, fucking use it and stop leaving your shit out in the open with its ugly, often unintelligible names.

Windows clutters things up with enough useless folders as it is, don't go making it a gorillion times worse.

PS: This isn't fucking Linux/etc. Putting the dot on the name doesn't do shit.

Attached: userfolder.png (779x442, 79K)

Same, always masturbating to portablefreeware.com/ and downloading shit like a happy retarded child just because it's portable

User specific settings in %appdata%

User documents/files related to the application located in my documents

problem solved

>Storing data for the future is already a shitshow, probably becoming unusual in 30 years.
What did he mean by this?

>usr is user
usr is unix system resources
nothing to do with users

for the most part, yes but there still is a cache or registry for minor shit like application support. there's also older or more "system level" stuff which installs with a pkg file and you really don't know where that's putting shit.

still a lot better than windows' since you basically have one place to find >99% of your programs

Attached: THE MARIO 64 SACRAMENT.png (2880x1800, 3.66M)

THEN CALL IT /res !!!

Software/Apps folder for software that is installed
OS folder for OS related shit
Documents for Documents (not for other software shit that software puts in there)
etc......

Also when you uninstall shit, have it uninstall all the shit related to that piece of software you are getting rid of.

This is how it needs to be

Uppercase, absolutely disgusting.

It's better than on Windows, but osx packages still shit themselves all over Application Support, Keychain, caches everywhere, your home folder etc etc.

what about gnu not unix?
is it gnusr or gsr?

Kek

lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2010-December/074114.html

Keep your autism out of this, Stallman

Why the hell are devices and process info are files? The only things I need are /apps, /userdata and /systemd

Everything is a file on *nix
>The only things I need are /apps, /userdata and /systemd
What about /boot so you can load multiple systems with the same bootloader, or change kernels, or load snapshots....

It's weird, they used to have single directory installs for dos, but as soon as windows came everyone decided it was better to take a green apple splatter diarrhoea shit all over your filesystem