/ag/ - Audio General: Pro shit

NLEs, DAWs, Hardware, Recording equipment, Microphones, Speakers, etc. The technology of it not the musicality of it.

Attached: Piano.jpg (1606x1194, 1.81M)

Other urls found in this thread:

diyaudiocomponents.com/diy-ribbon-mic-frequency-response
quantum-music.ca/wordpress/index.php/2015/07/29/vca-opto-vari-mu-fet-compressors-when-to-use-which/
youtube.com/watch?v=aWcczRv7qpI
speakerdesign.net/sbarticle.html
murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1_3-WAY.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

rig:
Schoeps MK4&MK8 MS pair up top
Beyerdynamic M160&M130 MS pair overhead left
SM57 pair on bridge
Countryman B6 pair under the piano
AT3032 back in the room spaced 25' apart and 25' to the piano.

Sound Devices 664, Mix pre, and 744 recording

interesting pic and topic, OP

Interesting information regarding Ribbon Microphone design. The frequency response in the upper range is dictated by the length from one side of the ribbon, around the magnet to the other side of the ribbon. This makes sense in terms of how you would make a wave guide tube but it's fascinating none the less.

diyaudiocomponents.com/diy-ribbon-mic-frequency-response

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 12.15.58 PM.png (840x1224, 331K)

Is the piano in that shitty position because you're too lazy to get those seats out?

Yes, but also because they use those seats all the time. Piano sounds great in that space where it is.

So close to those panels, at the edge of the room.
Comb filtering plus maximum peaks and dips in the low end.
Nice that you have all that gear but what's the use if the basics are wrong.

Because "the basics" don't always translate to sound and the gear wasn't bought or rented for that piano. I've recorded Bugattis at Monaco's Grand Prix too. Lots of background noice, less than ideal sonically but where the hell else would you rather be?

There are a lot of rules for recording and I'd say most of them go out the window when you are actually in the room/field putting microphones on shit.

Here's some very good information about compressors:

quantum-music.ca/wordpress/index.php/2015/07/29/vca-opto-vari-mu-fet-compressors-when-to-use-which/

>I've recorded Bugattis at Monaco's Grand Prix too
What was this for?

You take a couple of blocks of those chairs out near the middle of the room is what you do you idiot. Now you're faffing about with all your fancy gear and big talk right next to a reflective surface you don't even bother covering. Not to mention that horrendous alcove.

Documentary that never came to fruition unfortunately.

A. Not my space so not my chairs to pull.
B. Floor is raked all the way to the second row.
C. This project was for fun and took half a day at most. Pulling those chairs would have taken longer than the whole gig.
B. Post your shit.

Pic Related: Dropping concrete from a boom fork for fun and profit.
>you're too far away, that wind jammer is going to ruin the top end, whahhh whahhhh...
Still made it into the movie.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 1.33.58 PM.png (1412x1222, 2.73M)

cont.
You know what else made it in? An ORTF made with two Rode M1s, wired directly into a Zoom H2 sitting on a piece of foam directly on the tarmac. While it was recording blind one microphone rolled away from it's pair so it was not an ORTF at all. Picked up the incoming Sikorsky Firehawk that nearly landed on that rig.

A. Didn't want to be standing there even if they would have let me.
B. That track went directly into the movie without nearly any mastering.

>but but but the stereo image!!!! the off-axis response!!!!! the crappy budget gear!!!!
Sounded really good.

How can I test my vintage equipment to see if my mid-ranges or tweeters need to be replaced?

There is little that needs servicing in a tweeter as long as it works. Some models use ferrofluid, can dry up or leak over decades.
As for the midrange, cone surrounds can break down over time. If the cone is damaged, a recone may be in order.

nice

Best thing you can do is listen to something you know really well from a good reference rig. That's the fastest/cheapest method.

Other than that you can run a test with a tone sweep and pink noise with a measurement microphone and RTA software. But that's time, money and skill you may not have.

Y'all have any recommendations for a cheap (30 dollar range) microphone? I'll mostly be using it to talk to my friends and the occasional stream/podcast that they invite me to.

At that price just buy whatever has the best ratings on amazon. Maybe the Blue Snowball iCE or something? I don't know, I have cheap microphones but nothing that cheap.

bump

I have a grand piano in my living room and the best way I've found is with a handheld recorder, on a suction cup mount instead of a tripod, to the bottom of the lid of the piano, full open or half open.

I'm sure there are fancy dancy mics out there that can do better but for the life of me the zoom h4n produces the best solo piano recording i've ever heard. the xy pattern mic points to the high and low strings separately and its just so groovy

XY on the bridge is a good method, also if you are used to playing and having an instrument in your house then you are used to more intimate recordings than how most people record and master piano music. That was my problem as well, I grew up listening to my mother and sister play while I played under the piano with legos and shit. Now every piano recording for the most part sounds too far away. That's why I make my own recordings.

If you want to try something try a pair of omni microphones under the piano, or a pair of SM57s which will run just fine off the H4n's preamp and you don't need to burn battery on phantom.

bump

We just got an AVID MTRX and it's pretty fucking word. Super flexible and while it's not as flexible as a Yamaha DME it's way more easy to deal with. Highly recommended even though it is an Avid thing, the DAD version which is what originated the hardware is also rad.

Attached: MTRX_C5D7040.jpg (1200x542, 151K)

cool tip, thanks

What's a good electric piano?

My wife plays piano, we have a real one in our house in another country, but now she is in the US going to school. We live in an apartment and I don't want to annoy the neighbors.

Requirements:
Headphone output
Real piano feel

Bonus:
Can record either on-board or direct to a computer using USB

Thanks!

Isn't the Yamaha P125 or Casio PX160 pretty much the best out there? I remember doing a bit of research about this a while back and ended up at the Yamaha P1xx (this was before the P125 came out). Dunno about USB.

No idea, hence the question.
She's the muscian. I have to leave the country again for work, and want to get her something to jam out on other than her guitar. She likes to record herself, not so much for sharing, but so she can critique herself and improve. Some sort of recording would be nice.

Maybe some sort of DAC/splitter thing that can go to a Mic input on a PC?

bump

Is it required to be standalone? If not i recommend native instrument s88 + komplete 11 and an audio interface. The s88 uses a really nice hammer action fatar keybed(TP 100LR i believe), same one used in high end controllers like the doepfer lmk4+. Don't get the 61 key and smaller mk2 versions, they use a different synth style keybed.

Theres a sale currently for the S88 + komplete upgrade bundle, $300 or $500 off depending on which komplete version you get, it's a pretty sweet discount.

Heres a long winded review.. skip to 16:30 for keybed impression
>youtube.com/watch?v=aWcczRv7qpI

Attached: s88.jpg (1920x640, 166K)

Sony do a great lapel mic for that price range. Ecm-cs3 I think. Very clear and sensitive for the price.

What's your budget? There are many good options.

Alignment of loudspeaker drivers.
speakerdesign.net/sbarticle.html

bump

are pa speakers the only way to get something big thats not mostly designed to look good? most speakers available for home use is those shitty 4" boxes or floorstanders that may have multiple 6.5" in them

As others have asked, what's the budget? If budget is small, you can go for a.second-hand Yamaha P140, or if you can spend a bit more, get something like a Kawai ES-7/8. These stage-pianos have great feel, great sound, and are fairly compact. They can be packed up into boxes that are (comparatively) easy to transport. Of course you'll be missing out on the whole grand feel of a wooden piano body, but eh. It's overrated. Korg and Roland might have products as well. Go to a shop and try them out yourself, each company has a slightly different keyboard feel, you want to get what feels most natural to your wife.

Most digital pianos (I'd even say all of them) have a recording / playback function, most will also have a USB midi function as well.

No, there are good floor standing speakers on the market but they are not cheap. You also don't need speaker cabinet space to have a speaker that produces high SPL. No "pro" speakers are floorstanding, they are either monitor sized, PA sized, or Film/TV sized. You don't really want an actual PA speaker or a JBL 3way ScreenArray speaker, they all need too much air to make them work (there are some exceptions).

From a "Pro" standpoint you could do a couple of things:
JBL 708i/p on stands
Meyer UP-4slim (if you don't mind the look)
Meyer Bluehorn (if you have $$$$$)

Audiophile route:
Audio Note AZ series
Klipsch La Scala
Focal Aria & Chorus

A DIY route:
murphyblaster.com/content.php?f=MBOW1_3-WAY.html

cont.
I've also been pleased with some of the JBL PRX series, but some are also dogs. I'm much more comfortable recommending the JBL708 because they are fantastic and work in so many different environments.

theres no consumer speaker with 15" or bigger drivers but there are pa speakers with them. thats what i meant

these are tuned for high sensitivity and high power handling and not to sound great and play low, most PA tops with a 15" woofer still roll off at 50Hz where a hifi floorstander can play lower. totally different use case

Oh I see, yeah but most actual sound reinforcement speakers (ie PA speakers for quality playback) don't have drivers that big either because you build a separate subwoofer stack.

For example the Hollywood Bowl has a Left and R stack that have seperate subs as part of the stack. The bigger drivers in the non sub cabinets are as says tuned for higher frequency and are essentially treated as full range drivers.

The MBOW1-3 way sort of deals with this in the same way the old KEF reference speakers did by having a seperate sub cabinet as the base of a sealed monitor cabinet for the midrange and tweeter. If you felt like it you could of course build a speaker with a 15" woofer in the base cabinet and then just set it up with an active crossover and separate power. Would be pretty tits but you really don't need a 15" woofer to get low in a normal sized house.

The emphasis on towers for looks. There will be differences in edge diffraction as well.
The utility of wider cabinets with larger woofers is to get directivity control into lower frequencies. If you don't want that and prefer something with a broader coverage angle, you have no need for it.

MBOW1-3way stack.

Just do the same with whatever woofer you want but use active electronics so you can tune the crossover point to match what you build on the bottom.

Attached: serveimage-1.jpg (600x825, 307K)

Does anybody here uses other temperament rather than 12edo?

Totally with you and thank you for talking about what it's actually like to record sound in the wild. You learn all this anal shit about having the perfect setup but I'll be goddamned if I can ever get anything near ideal in location sound. Always makes me wonder how anything sounds good, but there you go.

Can you faggots stop raiding /hpg/? Thanks

Attached: 1529336348708.jpg (759x1075, 738K)

I take it you didn't like getting replied with "speakers" when you asked what people would do with $5000 and facing speakerchads.

That's actually good, that means your ears are good. If it doesn't sound right just keep trying shit no matter how "stupid" it is until it does sound good. Trust your ears.

I figured we'd get the go back to /mu/ but this'll do I guess.

>/mu/
>discussing audio equipment
besides instruments, it's just normalfags who probably listen to all their music on crosleys or their phones with earbuds

Combs are one of those things that tend to look worse than they sound.

Is it someone other than D2Girls this time?

Hi there, big dick headphonechad reporting in. Stay in here if you spergs don't want to get absolutely subordinated by my massive intellect. Ciao!

Attached: 57001187_p0.png (880x840, 988K)

hello, I'm just here to apologise on behalf of /hpg/ for this shitposting autist

It's okay. I just want to know what brain damage has driven him to do this.

/hpg/ holds no quarter, imposter. You've already been emasculated, and you're asking for more?

Reminder that you autists brought this upon yourselves. Toe the line, and this won't happen again.

Attached: 1469130494457.jpg (444x444, 78K)

You are forgiven. Just make sure to reign in your creatures. Their skiddish nature makes them annoying.

>one guy]
>chimp out and act like you aren't assblasted
Sounds like speakerchads won this one.

>speaker
>chad
The sheer amount of whining and beta boy bitching makes this absolutely laughable. Maybe try again when you "guys" don't start crying whenever you get called out.

>The sheer amount of whining and beta boy bitching
?

Attached: C_Data_Users_DefApps_Windows_Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved_Images_1528786330031.jpg (639x640, 66K)

Is something wrong?

Yes, /ag/ retards are posting in /hpg/ and making me put in extra effort to put them in their place.

All I'm seeing is you screaming and crying.

>This post
>As he's shamefully fapping to anime he's too afraid his parents to hear
Kek

I post in /hpg/ all the time. I use IEMs and HPs as references more often than speakers. You came up with this "war" yourself, no one here gave a shit.

>I know you are but what am I
That's a elementary school classic.

>>I know you are but what am I
?

Speakers are better than headphones

Hopefully you've learned your lesson about evangelizing speakers like a tiny dicked autist. Don't do it again!

>yourself
This. A single autist gets upset any time someone intelligently recommends speakers for people asking the silly question of
>I have 5,000 dollars? What should I spend it on
Literal brainlets spend five grand on headphones.

>intelligent
HAHAHAHAHAHA nice one dude

>Literally proving my point

>autistic rage starting up again

Array surrounds to trigger the autists. Because four surrounds are better than two.

Attached: array surrounds.jpg (1796x1346, 380K)

>hehe, well looked like you just proved my point by saying [literally anything ever], owned epic style

>Headphone autist
>Too timid to let the world hear his anime
>Throws an autistic fit at the mere idea of speakers
>Speaker chad
>Laughs at headphone autist with both his headphones and his speakers
>not afraid to let the world hear his anime

Seek help man.

speakers are much better because i can listen to music comfortably when in bed. its not really possible with headphones because they are too big and are always hitting something

Both do have their uses, I use both.

Thanks for the information. Budget isn't really an issue, last piano was around USD 5k. Size doesn't really matter either. In fact, I'm sure she would rather have the full size, just as if it was a standard piano.

You're getting more and more angry. Just remember, you could've prevented this. All I demand is unconditional surrender of /ag/.

>This projection
>Literally demanding surrender is some war
>Calls others angry
Kekeke

>All I demand is unconditional surrender of /ag/.
imagine being this autistic

I thought it was funny, seems you were too butthurt to find the humor in it. Anyways, don't make any more low IQ posts and I'll stop shitting on you, kay?

an EQ'd bose soundwear is more functional and better than speakers

Attached: FB_IMG_1503543665626.jpg (678x960, 49K)

>facebook image

ok

Attached: 1431198223568.png (1920x1920, 139K)

not an argument. shoulder speakers don't suffer from room acoustics while also giving an image like speakers.
not an argument

Attached: 58265647_p0.png (692x978, 484K)

i've had a yamaha CVP-509 for a few years now. the CLP/CVP models (at least the higher end ones with the good keyboards) are neat bits of kit if you want something standalone that sounds and plays like a piano (or as much as a digital can). i like the bells and whistles of the CVP line but the CLP ones are fine if you can do without.

Attached: 2018-06-26.jpg (1200x900, 202K)

why are these girls so awkward about helping you put on one of their cute gloves?

can the user(s) who keeps calling me out knock it off, I don't even fuckin post anymore nor have i ever criticized someone else's equipment or chastised a person because he uses headphones for that matter. Like fuck I haven't even posted anything in /hpg/ in months

Attached: IMG_2496.jpg (4032x3024, 2.37M)

since shoulder speakers are closer to the ear you can achieve better bass response and extension more efficiently. they are also close to the chest which means you can use tactile transducers to get bass impact without the hearing loss all you grandpas have or any of the issues of auditory masking.

Attached: FB_IMG_1503543639872.jpg (678x960, 52K)

that green display looks nice

Thanks! I actually got rid of it a while ago for this. Also why is /hpg/ so obsessed about me. They drop my name in there a few times a month even though I almost never post there nowadays and 90% of the time I don't care to even respond. Today I was feeling cheeky tho so I actually took time to talk to them. I mean it's probably unfair to say it's all of /hpg/ since it's likely just 1-2 people doing the shitposting. Oh well.

Attached: IMG_2694.jpg (4032x3024, 1.88M)

this will trigger the audiophiles

Attached: P6190001.jpg (2048x1536, 779K)

To be honest nothing here is inherently wrong aside from the speaker being on the ground

cant have them on the desk because the desk makes audible noise so i keep them on the floor until i can get stands for them

Get stands please

Attached: IMG_2514.jpg (1280x722, 279K)