Why are TVs so unreasonably expensive? You can't even get a semi-functional one until you're spending $1000+...

Why are TVs so unreasonably expensive? You can't even get a semi-functional one until you're spending $1000+. That's like building a high-end PC.

Attached: lg oled.jpg (970x647, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because people will pay that much for glorified LCD panels in a pretty case.

It's not LCD it's super AMOLED but ok

>2010+8
>owning a TV

Attached: 1469213282203.jpg (474x473, 12K)

This in itself is a pretty good question. TV is hardly the thing it was in the 90's. It's now a secondary device to computers and phones. Maybe Android TV makes some TVs more worthwhile than others since you can actually stream shit through apps.

It pisses me off that the only good and affordable TV (TCL R617 Roku) isn't even sold in Europe. European TV market is fucked up.

>Bought my first TV since 2006 during last black friday.
>use it exclusively as a PC monitor.
I don't see any 65' regular monitors out there

>super AMOLED
it's just "OLED", not your stupid "super AMOLED" shit

>Why are TVs so unreasonably expensive?
>You can't even get a semi-functional one until you're spending $1000+.
>2018

Yeah, fuck off kid. TVs are at their cheapest price in history. Even no-name TVs are killer, and you can pick those up for far less than $1000+.

The "smart TV" scam is probably what you're after, and you deserve to be conned if you want that shit.

Attached: 1491645753079.gif (200x150, 1.39M)

It's super because it uses smart software to reduce burn in and has higher quality organic materials you fucking abortion under god

What are you talking about? I bought a 2017 model Bravia last year for 800€.

Just get an LG. They make the panels that go in Samsungs.

>can't even get a semi-functional one
ARE YOU RETARDED? You can get any make TV you like for under $500(LG, Samsung, Sony). You just won't be getting OLED. They're still perfectly functional.

Opposite way. Samsung make panels for LG now.

This. OP is a faggot.
Probably a status symbol. If you don't own a huge TV normies will think you're a poorfag.

The fuck are you talking about

My 50in TV was $350 like 4 years ago and it's fucking fine.

Attached: IMG_20180626_010907.jpg (4000x2250, 1.72M)

because they need the ungodly abortion that is smart functionality to appe

>The "smart TV" scam is probably what you're after, and you deserve to be conned if you want that shit
Even those don't have to cost $1000+.

Why do TCL TVs in Europe suck compared to American counterparts? Europeans always get screwed over.

You now realize there is an HDR "war" going on and anybody buying a TV that doesn't support both Dolby and HDR10 is getting majorly screwed over.

>and anybody buying a TV that doesn't support both Dolby and HDR10 is getting majorly screwed over.
How so? Should we also be buying 8K TVs?

You don't know if future content will be in HDR10 or Dolby. And that's just one or two years from now.

Just buy one of these $200 tv's and hook a $30 chromecast up to it.

>i want top features but don't want to pay for it

TV's are the cheapest they've ever been

>Probably a status symbol. If you don't own a huge TV normies will think you're a poorfag.
This
I have a 40 inch TV I bought in 2012 in my living room
I purchased a bigger house since then, and there isn't a single visit that tells me how my now bigger living room NEEDS a bigger TV
It's status symbol

>pewdiepie got a free wallpaper tv just by shilling them for a few minutes

sony, viewsonic, hisense all put out tv's that are comparable, viewsonic in the 800$ range (150$ more) makes a significantly better tv that is capable of 4k 444 60 and 1080p 120hz and lower input lag, likely without the bullshit on tcl that has some effects show color (green and magenta)

tcl is the best all around if you are willing to put up with its flaws, viewsonic is best out right in the cheap range.

Super AMOLED is Samsung's proprietary screen technology you mong

after a point, I think its 500$, every tv is now a smart tv

>smart tvs are a scam
>having 1 or multiple less boxes and different remotes is a bad thing
>better UI's usually on the TV
>tv has wifi and ethernet

if you aren't buying something over 500$, you're not getting an upgrade from almost anything you have that supports 1080p

the cost for local dimming has come down to the point is on actual low end tvs, with one of the best implementations in tcl 615/617

in 2 or 3 years, local dimming will be the norm, but local dimming that can push a screen to 4000 cd/m2 will be the difference between poor fag shit and mid range.

and in a few years when its no longer updated, its a useless feature.

I have a roku in mine, they seem to support their shit long haul, but I honestly don't trust it to support it for as long as the tv lasts.

>needing updates to basic apps
>roku has 6 different boxes out at the moment

>weeb shitter
>prefers gayming monitor to a high end tv
can't get any more braindead than that

here is your awnser op

Attached: crttv.jpg (800x768, 45K)

>You don't know if future content will be in HDR10 or Dolby
Do you know how disproportionately low the number of 4K movies even is, forget TV shows? I don't think most TV channels are even 720p, forget 1080p or future "HDR10" content.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television
I wouldn't spend money on something that may catch on if I were you.

spotted the retarded samshill. Please fuck off with your gimmicky terms and kys. Shove bixby up your ass too

You can get a $50 chink TV box with a quad core 2ghz cpu and 3gb DDR4, flash it to Android TV and use that for smart TV function, emulators etc.

Mine came with a remote that has programmable buttons so it turns on and off my TV. But I use my smartphone as the remote, which allows volume control and voice search.

And guess what, when it's obsolete I can replace the $50 chink box with another $50 chink box. I don't have to be a fucktard buying another $1200 TV to get something shittier than a chinkbox.

Attached: IMG_20180626_022110.jpg (4000x2250, 2.58M)

This. Picked up mine from jb HiFi for $370 last year.
Granted it's just a 43inch FHD screen but the colors look great, good contrast ratio, and it works perfectly for my intended uses.

>having a tv that can be infected by viruses and display ads.

>almost 400 4k content on netflix
>amazon, apple, youtube all have 4k movies available
>hundreds of 4k blurays
>more and more content coming
>lots of YT videos even in 4k

It's not 2015 anymore, gramps

>why doesn't everyone buy cheap chinese shit and flash their own androidtv roms and program their remotes!

>good contrast ratio

>didn't buy a tv with infinite contrast ratio

fuck. I really want an affordable LG signature tv. they are perfection, literally

Why do people post on technology boards then refuse to use or research technology suggested that's superior

You literally download a program and rom, and plug the thing into your computer by usb and it programs itself with whatever rom, it's far more simple than flashing a phone

And even if you can't do the shit above with a $50 chinkbox because you're too retarded, Walmart fucking sells the xiaomi mibox for like $80 that has a remote with a mic and Android TV already there with netflix 4k support.

Not for that price I didn't.

The XE930 is the real shit. For some reason an online store is selling it for 1000€. I'm thinking of taking the plunge.

Just buy the cheaper oleds.

It depend on what you need. I only watch YouTube Videos and some Netflix on my TV a few times a week and I don't sit very far from it so I only need 43". Got a good 4k Tv for under 400€. So far everyone who visited me was impressed by the quality.

>The "smart TV" scam is probably what you're after, and you deserve to be conned if you want that shit.
Can you even buy a non-"smart" TV?
Also it's pretty convenient to have Netflix and similar shit right on the TV instead of a separate box or chromecast for it.

t. Got a 55" :smart: TV for free a couple months ago

You can buy a non-smart TV, but they are usually just about 10$ cheaper than the same TV as a smart TV. I'd always take the smart TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube on the same device is great.

Hah, sounds fair.
You care much about image quality or you one of those "good enough to enjoy"?
what are the built in speakers like?

what the fuck are you on about?

You can buy a 55" screen for under $400 any day

tvs are cheap as hell

Or get a tv with it all built in and 1 remote

Best buy here had a deal with a 55in sharp 4k tv, a roku, and a 5.1 onkyo receiver/speaker system for $499 all together, Canadian funds

You gotta be shitting me if you think that's expensive. Most normies would love that shit.

This is as dumb as getting your PC built into your monitor. You replace the PC far more than the monitor.

I don't know how long you retards keep your TVs, but they are used for at least 10 years in my family.

>10 years

yeah when they only difference back in the day was screen size and maybe a built in VHS

you can literally buy a new tv every 18months and gain something now.

Doesn't mean it's worth it but not like you're losing out

there was a TCL Xess X2 with quantum dot 192dimmzones 60hz panel tv for 900€ for a month on amazon.de

Good enough to enjoy, built in speakers are good enough but since I only use it from my pc I use my better PC speakers, I wouldn't be too fussed either way however as they're not bad enough to complain about in my opinion. Would love to fuck around in windows and see if I can output to my speakers and tv speakers at the same time, that would be really cool.

Cheap soniq just sitting at the foot of my bed, for ps3, Wii, and emulation from my computer plus the off movie or streaming on bigger screen. If I was going to be fussed about image quality I would have bumped up to 4k haha

Attached: P80626-194638.jpg (4000x3008, 2.36M)

>Hey user let's netflix and chill

>sorry, i don't own a tv. Prices are through the roof at the moment!

My only real gripe with it is the 3HDMI ports, I wish it had a couple more.

Attached: P80626-194945.jpg (4000x3008, 3.51M)

>80W

top kek was it made by nvidia?

It was the first thing I bought when getting my own apartment, I have a desk with my rig set up in one corner so I can work and possibly game there. Then where I have my sitting area with a comfy couch spot to put my feet up I have a tv which connects to the computer so I can watch movies and such and possibly play with a controller if the game lets me.

I used to live in a small room where I had to eat and do everything on my bed or in my chair while watching movies and shit from a computer screen turned sideways to face the bed. At least now I can relax and I can have friends over to watch a movie or anything else.

>not lecturing her about the four freedoms when she mentions netflix

I hope not,

>let's push 4K HDR10
>meanwhile Television is still 720p
What's the point when content can't keep up?

>bottom of the barrel in terms of content

Because no one cares about network TV

I bought a 'smart' tv for 500$ and turned off the wifi as soon as I find out I cant get the properitary miracast to work and my youtube is constantly bombed with ads. Getting a 30$ chromecast solved every problem.

A lot of the yt channels i watch are 4k, so

Hundreds isn't much for movies. Also, Netflix, Apple TV and Amazon aren't available worldwide. YouTube is understandable, but spending over $1000 for an HDR10 TV - I don't think so.

>t's easiest to list the countries where Netflix is not available:

>China
>Crimea
>North Korea
>Syria

We only have one or two 720p channels here in sweden. The rest are 560p. None are 1080p.

>he doesn't know what black levels are
wew

I think Australian TV is still sub HD, I haven't noticed anything HD yet.
Thank goodness for Netflix and 4k streaming.

Regular TV is completely irrelevant these days
Even moreso now that you can even stream most sport games which was the one thing that held normies back from fully ditching it

Lol no, its not sup hd (720p). Some channels broadcast in full hd

Can you stream Sports games in UHD from free sources?

Actually yes.
At least some of them like the current soccer cup is available freely in UHD in a lot of countries

Great.

Worst part is these kikes put borderline unusable cpus in the smart tvs we brought an 85" sony android tv and the fucking thing crashes when 3 apps are open

Shit quality HD then.

TCL is garbage, the display models are on a constant rotation because they keep breaking down at our store.

proven wrong and that's all you can say and took you 8 minutes to post that

Sad

What would you recommend instead? I was thinking Sony Bravia mid-range are fairly reliable?

> proven wrong and that's all you can say and took you 8 minutes to post that
>Sad
Proven wrong? Those are countries that exist and don't have Netflix support, so it not being available worldwide is accurate. Have you ever considered the comparative costs of the services you mentioned to domestic ones? Of course not, because what's the point of a 10x more expensive TV services being available? Running off to buy the newest 8K HDR10 TV as we speak.

Anything less than flagship from Sony is absolutely trash, better to look for other brands in midrange

Streaming services offer 4K HDR content.
There's not a ton of it compared to even 1080p content, but most new movies and shows are going to be available on streaming services in 4K HDR except for the ones that are produced by regular TV networks.

the fuck you talking about

my god you're retarded

Well since Netflix got bullied into actually cracking down on VPNs, how do I watch The Office or Parks and Rec on Netflix in Europe ?

"Smart" tvs anger me. I'd rather a dumb tv with a decent panel.

>my god you're retarded
Great argument, can't argue with that.

i cant watch movies on anything other than a good tv it doesnt feel right

>cries there is no 4k content
>gets told there is
>yeah but you can't get it in 4 countries, one of which is in a civil war!
>yeah but cable costs 10x more!

Honestly this.

And maybe this.

Watching TV dumbs you down. Someone still has to show me a fantastic battledesk using a 65+" screen.

Since most content is HD anyways, is 4K upscaling a scam or does it actually work?

No. Even 4k netflix uses a stupidly low bitrate of 3mbps

>gets told there is
Most of which would probably be the latest blockbuster action movies. Can't wait to watch hundreds of those.
>yeah but cable costs 10x more!
No, those services (Netflix, Apple TV, Amazon TV) cost far more in many supported countries.

Also:

it's 15.6mbps bitrate for 4k on netflix

3mbps is lower than 1080p you idiot

I know, right? Just tell him to stop being retarded.