FreeBSD install

Trying to install FreeBSD on a Lenovo PC, but it won't show up in GRUB/UEFI/BIOS. Some Googling suggest that Lenovo is notorious for having troubles installing any BSD. Install works completely fine, but nothing happens after a reboot when it's finished, it just asks me if I want to install it or not if I have the USB stick in. I first manually partitioned following instructions to create a bootloader etc., then I just installed it as my only OS -- same result. Preferably would like to dual-boot it, though it's not that important.

One guy made a workaround for it, his .iso is downloadable, but I'd like to just download from the main site.

I'm well aware that Jow Forums isn't anyone's tech support forum, but I'm sure others could benefit from this thread too.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Attached: 811839.png (280x280, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/freebsd-desktop-part-2-install/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

vermaden.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/freebsd-desktop-part-2-install/
Partition Scheme: GPT+Lenovo Fix (BIOS)

To add: Both enabled/disabled Legacy and edited the Grub loader.

Thank you man, will try

Try dragonflybsd.

>BSD
Get used to things not working bud.

This did not work lol

>FreeBSD
Found your problem

>Using FreeBSD unironically

Attached: Cringe of the North Star.png (646x478, 375K)

What Lenovo model?
What a6your BIOS settings? Did you disable UEFI completely?
Also FreeBSD does not come with grub by default but has its own bootloader: does it work with that?

Fuck you and your shit forced macro
I bet you have that copyrighted so that you can become famous

>Being so assblasted that you make dumb conspiracy theories

Attached: ubuntu.png (866x635, 236K)

Here's a (you) nigger
Fuck off spammer

H50-50
Tried everything in bios
No sign of any bootloader

>spamming
>Only posted twice
Why are you such an ass-blasted cuck?

Use Mint

Just install windows you freetard

UPDATE:

Decided to install TrueOS on a different PC.
It installed, I can find it.

But nothing happens after I boot it from the menu. It just shows some kernel logs (successfully did this etc), but then nothing happens.

wat do

It also tells in the screen "Press I to enter interactive boot mode".
It doesn't work. Unless it's the wrong key, I don't fucking know. And the keyboard language isn't the same, but in latin tho.

If you're using a BSD, you shouldn't have GRUB installed.

I fixed that part.

Now I can't install it properly though, boots fine, but stuck on a kernel menu saying everything is successful.

Kernel or bootloader?
Did you zero your HDD/SSD, at least in the beginning, to wipe the MBR/GPT along with GRUB?
At worst, try to get a BIOS/MBR install working if UEFI/GPT doesn't seem to be.
I don't really have enough information to offer any other ideas, though.
Also, figure out if OpenBSD, Ubuntu, NetBSD, or DragonFlyBSD install on that same PC. That'll let you figure out what's the problem.

Bootloader.
Didn't zero it out.
I can find it in the reFind menu. It just doesn't continue the install. Stuck at that menu.
Other distros work completely fine.

Then just use OpenBSD then, since it's a better OS, if it works.

Yeah I'm gonna do that, just hope I don't run into the same problem.

Did you try sucking a woman's penis?

Don't use FreeBSD.
I've been shilling FreeBSD for years,
but they've become infested with SJW.
They will be going down hard in 2-3 years.

Attached: reebsd.png (500x336, 99K)

ITT: BSD fags try to use UEFI

Spoilers: if the tech isn't a minimum of 10 years old, it won't work on BSD.

Also in case you are wondering why this is the case...

The only devs left are mentally ill and believe that anything new is riddled with backdoors so you will never get any drivers.

ReeBSD is dead. Use OpenBSD.

Attached: reeeeebsd.jpg (1241x1123, 110K)

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and I don't think OpenBSD supports anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: thicc.jpg (442x293, 28K)

I’m running a Debian home server. Should I switch to FreeBSD? I mainly want to use it for SSH, FTP, python scripts that run as daemons, and to host some media.
Would it be difficult to get a desktop interface as well to make a full transition?
I’ve really been considering BSD for years but it seems like somewhat of a step for me. I’m familiar with Unix commands and stuff, I’ve just never stepped outside of Linux much.

Horses for courses, homo.

Attached: pledge.jpg (1300x804, 140K)

see

ReeBSD is trash.

Attached: bsd.jpg (2518x1024, 392K)

So should I stay on Debian, or switch to a chad nix?
How do they compare to one another as servers?

I've used Debian as a desktop, and OpenBSD as a desktop and as a server. I've also used FreeBSD as a desktop and server.
OpenBSD's software is far more up-to-date. It's also capable of being a server straight out of the box, since it comes with a httpd, ftpd, sshd, etc.
OpenBSD is definitely usable as a desktop, far more so than FreeBSD.

Home server, openbsd.

Actually I was like you.
I installed BSD on my Lenovo and fuck I hated it.

Ok so here's a fact. Linux has had millions of dollars invested into driver support. You think BSD would be the same but boy would you believe how unstable it was on my system.

I installed openBSD and within minutes the interface and DE crashed. I installed budgie Unbuntu and not a single problem.

Even Debian was stable with 98% of the system working (excluding nividia stuff).

FreeBSD and the BSD projects faced towards the the community are mostly for specific hardware. I would guess it is server hardware seeing the amount of missing drivers there was. Even when I went out and found the sources for drivers it still wasn't worth the amount of fucking around required just to get stuff working. Most of what I tried crashed anyway.

I see the BSD community has shrunk for a while. It is true that it will die sooner or later.

Debian is dated software and very stable.
You can get smaller ISOs and systems but debian is good enough for general uses.

CentOS for anything requiring powerful and stable server abilities.

Everyone should spend time running openbsd and Ubuntu, to learn how a well configured and integrated system with sane defaults looks. You can take that information to other systems to set them up properly.

I don't care I just don't want to see that shit polluting my board

A follow up:
When I first tried FreeBSD I was blown away by the documentation, the feeling of oneness, a single maintainer and vendor for the whole project.
Not as fragmented as Linux.
I've been running, and still am, a bunch of FreeBSD servers, even at home.
BUT with the recent SJW drama and adoption of a cuck CoC, the project is heading downhill and it's inevitable.
Real programmers will stay away, the project will only be able to attract other SJW drones.
These types are not the most stable, their reasoning is hampered, they'll not be able to lead the project into a bright future.
FreeBSD has set it's course for destruction.

>OpenBSD's software is far more up-to-date. It's also capable of being a server straight out of the box, since it comes with a httpd, ftpd, sshd, etc.
>OpenBSD is definitely usable as a desktop, far more so than FreeBSD.
Advice for migrating from Debian to OpenBSD as a first time user?

Try OpenBSD, FreeBSD is more of a server thing.