Just ordered the 1tb model of this

Just ordered the 1tb model of this.

How bad did I fuck up?

Attached: untitled-1.jpg (700x343, 38K)

It's fine as long as you don't expect PCI-e/NVMe performance from it.
Why did you buy M.2 SATA instead of regular SATA?

>not buying a 970 Evo

Attached: CIA.jpg (556x575, 41K)

Regular SATA is SO last month.

But it performs the same as M.2 SATA.

>ordering an M.2 SSD
>not ordering an M.2 NVMe
why

Attached: WTF.gif (1920x960, 240K)

Except when it comes to not needing cables, anyway.

Yeah, instead of cables you get an ugly green turd on your motherboard, unless you have one of those boards with heat shields (yes, heat -shields-) attached to them.

>ordering a 1tb ssd when it's only useful to put your os on it
Ahahahahaha
How much did you pay for it?

Too expensive.

Still going to be way better than my HDD.

Might be able to put it in a laptop in the future too.

SSDs have objective major improvements for gaming too, and that's what most people on this board use their desktop for. I had to have WoW installed to a hard drive for a while recently and the load times were absolutely fucking disgusting. Same goes for open world games installed to a hard drive, stuttering as they load in assets.

>needing muh 0.00001 attosecond loading times in video games
Ohohoho damn, shelling out an extra 600 bucks for that 1s faster loading time sure is worth it

Would more RAM affect load times for open world games much?

No, it's more like 10-15 seconds off of every single one of WoW's frequent load times. Well worth it. Sorry for having the money to make my life better, friend.

Depends on how much shit you have going on in the background and how much VRAM you have. There are certainly some modern open world games where 16GB is useful, but most can be tamed to 8GB so long as you have plenty of VRAM and nothing else open.

Attached: FOX AND THE GRAPES.png (464x430, 90K)

>vram
AMD masterrace.

Semi-related: 4k works fucking fine on my RX580 btw. Lucky I don't listen to Jow Forums.

Attached: 1528936789618.jpg (796x805, 159K)

>asking after buying
fuck off nigger

>he asks Jow Forums for advice

Attached: 1528281231366.jpg (584x800, 78K)

Old games, yes. Got me a 480 8 GB. But it will never run AAA titles. My 1080 Ti barely does 50-60 FPS. At least the 480 has enough VRAM, undervolted it, I can play ME3 on 100 W.

who the fuck cares how a component looks inside a case?

off topic question here: I bought some sata m.2 SSDs for cheap, hoping to exchange them for 2.5" SSDs (I have some Intel NUCs that I want to use). what would be ways to quickly find people willing to trade their 2.5" SSDs for my stuff?

>10 to 15 seconds
Try total war games, turns minutes into seconds when going from game Map to battles

just get a m.2 to 2.5" adapter

that's not a bad idea, but my whole point of buying these things was to save money in the exchange, and the adapters seem as expensive as the (120GB) SSDs I bought

I can run Call Of Duty: WWII, Overwatch, Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid on max settings. Those are the only recent AAA titles I play.

I am not a person who cares about or measures FPS. Youtube video speed is enough for me, anything beyond that is approaching autism.

>V-nand
>Sata
very badly

Who the fuck cares about another cable in a case then?

Does the smaller factor (M.2 over 2.5" SSD) implies better performance ?

Or it's just as matter of space ?

imagine actually not being able to tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps

SATA M.2 drives perform identically to 2.5" SATA drives. NVMe M.2 drives are much faster. You can technically have 2.5" drives with that speed connected via the U.2 connection, but support for that has been very limited. Not many boards have it and there have only been a handful of drives (mostly from Intel).

Attached: U.2.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Still 2.5" SATA is better than M2 SATA because the case is used as a heatsink.

Open world games like GTA V benefit greatly from SSDs, even in fucking consoles. Unless you enjoy sudden pop-in of lamp posts and buildings.

>U-U2...

The virgin interface.

nvme is pretty much a meme

Well, the 860 Evo the OP is mostly black (I think it's a sticker), if admittedly surrounded by green. Some others aren't even green - e.g., the Crucial MX500 is blue, also with a black sticker covering most of the front.
Meanwhile, cables aren't just a cosmetic problem - you'll often need to make an effort to get them to where you want them to go. It's worst in ITX cases, but not limited to them - e.g., routing cables through drive cages isn't always fun either, especially if you have multiple drives in the cage. Also, PSUs tend to have a limit how many cables of various kinds you can plug into them, which may or may not be relevant, depending on your setup.

Unironically, I have one and it blows my old SATA SSD out of the water.

pretty much this....

970 has WAY longer life and much cheaper.

960s compete only because they are getting rid of them.

it's objectively not a meme my man

tooo expensiveeeee, fucking faggot

Attached: 1430614583429.jpg (393x391, 57K)

So, the only reason for spending extra money on a SATA M.2 is just the smaller size + no cable frustration ?

Yes. Though SATA M.2 drives are no more expensive than 2.5" ones where I live.

Considering a Vega 64 gets only 30fps in Mankind Divided, you are definitely not playing CoDWW2 or especially Deus Ex MD at 4k max settings on a 580.

SATA M.2 are roughly the same price as their 2.5" counterparts

All in game settings are at their maximum m8. Haven't bothered tweaking anything outside of the game if that makes a difference. Monitor is a 60Hz 4k TN Panel. It runs fucking fine.

8gb model 580 btw. I doubt the 4gb model could handle it as well.

So you're playing at 12fps, don't see how that could be enjoyable but ok.

Nah, it runs better than that m8.

by maybe 10 frames

>evo

Attached: 1360862917454.png (162x154, 49K)

>evo

Attached: 1446861405568.jpg (1440x810, 133K)

Depends on how much you paid for it and how much the NVME model costs

>he uses loud noisy harddrives literally 60ies technology

Mankind Divided is the worst optimized turd in existence. It was the only game I ever played on my R9 290X (1080p) that I couldn't achieve playable framerates at max settings, and in its case, I had to turn it down to medium settings to get acceptable fps.

>All these consumerist shitlords itt
While I can agree that SSDs are a good improvement nowadays be it for work or games. but I'm still using a fucking 512gb 840 and it works just fine and as fast as I want it to be. I don't get why you retards always feel the need to burn money for the latest shit that gives a slight and marginal portion of improvement but with an exaggerated marked up price and low returns for the consumer.

This board should definitively be renamed /cons/.

You act as if every device in the world was simultaneously upgraded with an 840 back in the day and no one ever builds new computers or needs more space...

This
Everything I need works currently on my machine with XP and 512mb of RAM. Shame on all of you for having money to buy things.

Like clockwork

>samshill1: i just bought samshit did i fuck up

>samshill2: not buying

>samshill3: nonsensical bait post

>samshill4: samshit pro is da best but evo is p gud (for da money)

you've gone M.2, why not do NVMe fucking retard

once i learned about raid i just look at the cheapest way to get whatever speed I want.
you can buy pci 2.0x4 or better adapters for nvme and raid as many pci slots as you have together for twice the bandwidth for about the same price.
but that 860 is ssd speed. if you're going that form factor then you might as well get something that actually can use the speed of nvme.

It has literally nothing to do with branding, you tinfoil hatted schizo. The 970 Evo is an objectively better drive in every way - MLC vs TLC, massively better endurance, massively faster and priced reasonably.

Stay mad

>Buy western digital NVMe black edition

X3 slower access time than my 4 year old 250GB 850 Evo.

Faster writes (1.2GB/s)
slower writes by around 65MB/s

Nice meme

Stick with Toshiba or Samsung, they both produce flash + controllers and have a few generations under their belt.

>WD solid states
dont do that

Explain

for the people that max out their harddrive bays, it’s actually a nice to have one or two additional expansion slots