What is the best distro and why is it Fedora 28?

What is the best distro and why is it Fedora 28?

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x640, 24K)

It just werks

but it isn't windows

fpbp

What does it offer that OpenSUSE doesn't have?

If it's good enough for Linus Torvalds, it's good enough for you.

I love filing bug reports that I see get assigned to Poettering to fix.

But I use Windows 10 because I like Office and Instagram.

If Fedora ran Android apps I would switch back.

user friendly

In what ways? OpenSUSE has a GUI for system settings called Yast. As far as I know, Fedora has no equivalent.

Funnily enough, I have less problems with my Surface Pro 4 since I use Fedora on it instead of Windows 10.

system setting GUI's are covered in whatever DE you use, aren't they? GNOME is pretty user friendly there.

A distro might include some GUI tools but OpenSUSE includes entire suite to make system configuration more friendly. For example, you can create system snapshots by running Snapper from Yast. Also, OpenSUSE offers GNOME as a first class desktop environment in the installer. You get all of the same tools for configuring the system as the KDE version.

Fair enough. You can get by on OpenSUSE without ever opening the terminal, then?

That's correct. The real killer user friendly feature of OpenSUSE is system snapshots using Snapper. If your system breaks from a bad update, you can rollback to a previous working state from the bootloader. On another distro, you would have to boot a flash drive with a Linux distro, chroot into the system, and downgrade the packages.

but it's debian 9 stretch

that's why it works

BlotedSUSE is the most bloated piece of crap

>Needs a monstrous overengineered piece of crap to change settings. All other distros are fine without it

>Unironically using btrfs

i use fedora for 2 years, and now, i use arch. I'm happy now

Too poor to afford a large harddrive?

You might as well use Arch if you enjoy wasting time.

The default install uses XFS for the home partition.

You can choose what to install even without net- install.
Letting it install all the Virtualization, LDAP, Samba, webserver stuff by default is pretty much because you're lazy to press your mouse button 3 times.
But it's much easier to whine on Jow Forums.

On 3 systems, without issue.

Feels good knowing I can literally do whatever fucking retarded nonsense I want no matter how destructive on rolling distros and fix it in 10 seconds like it never happened.
Makes experimenting much more enjoyable

Why not just use the AVD in Android Studio to run instagram?

Fedora in the last couple releases has been genuinely excellent but I had to to go back to Ubuntu because of some niggly shit. I couldn't get Transmission to just open the port without having to open it on the router using Fedora. Ubuntu however works fine, no need for stupid port config on router. They both share some annoying glitchy shit on KDE with mpv though.

OpenSuse has the best compatibility with AMD, at least for the juicy extra features like nested virtualization, SME/SVE and gets spectre patches the earliest.
It's also sponsored by AMD

Fedora is lame. If you want it to just work, and don't want to buy a license for RHEL, then just use CentOS. Fedora is a meme to make people think they're being cutting-edge and open source when really it's just the beta version of RHEL. CentOS is just RHEL official releases with the logos and branded stuff stripped off. much more reliable.

best linux distro? i mean, linux kinda sucks to be honest. the best one to use if you want to "support open source" is probably Gentoo.

best unix-family distro? FreeBSD. the code is objectively better than linux crap, and it's actually a complete operating system where they make sure it's not buggy from kernel up through packages. but politically-minded people will be like "oooh woe is me, not GPL!". so what. I want a server that will stay running for years without me needing to reboot it, unlike most buggy linux distros ( and the corporate ones like RHEL or Ubuntu are only marginally better than the more political ones like Gentoo )

this is the exact reason why linux kinda sucks. even the CentOS lab computer i was the "admin" of would break itself every so often because of this kind of crap. terrible!

that's why my personal computer is macOS and my server is FreeBSD. shit that works for years without needing to do stupid things like rolling back upgrades or having your video drivers broken because an autoupdate of the kernel.

linux guys spend so much time trying to get their computers to work, a few hours every week or two -- how can you get any work done?

>bleeding age like a rolling release distro
>more stable than a rolling release distro
>most defaults are ok for most people

the only con I can think is that you have to add rpmfusion.

>sponsored by AMD

really?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thats not debian

Check their site.

Attached: Screenshot_20180628-220325.png (1080x1920, 329K)

THANK YOU, BASED AMD!

Attached: Screenshot_20180628-220552.png (1080x1920, 401K)

SLES is a really good, AMD knows what's up.

>gentoo
>political
what

What's btrfs I don't feel like googling

bit torrent rotational file system

It's a p2p file system

>If it's good enough for Linus Torvalds, it's good enough for you.
You know Linus only says he uses it because RedHat gifted him millions of $$ of company stock right? Yeah, our boy's on the payroll.

>
> even the CentOS lab computer i was the "admin" of would break itself every so often...
Seriously? I run entire racks of CentOS nodes at work, many have had more than a year up time.
If you made CentOS crash, then you didn't have shit setup right!
CentOS minimal, configured correctly is the most stable OS I've ever seen.

Attached: 3031736.large.jpg (431x267, 54K)

ohhh look a GNU larper.

you know Linus never liked your silly argument. GNU's main accomplishment is writing compilers. fine. they also wrote some important, but basic tools.

to get an operating system, though, you need something that ACTUALLY BOOTS THE COMPUTER AND RUNS PROCESSES. and GNU failed epically at that. gnu Hurd is a fucking failure, and Linus provided the MOST FUNDAMENTAL PIECE of running the freakin machine.

i hate this crap. you don't have a claim to linux just because you wrote gcc as well as some basic shit, which linus used as part of his work. but he wrote the stuff that actually boots the computer and manages processes. so that's why everybody calls it LINUX instead of some stupid "Linux Slash Also Gnu Operating System Plus Other Stuff (Brought To You By Richard Stallman, Period.)"

fact is, stallman never wanted to permit loadable kernel modules that weren't open source. linux beat him out on that, and that's why we have the world today. Gnu Hurd definitely could never be viable, from the ground up, because of that restriction stallman insists on

I wouldn't even call that a con.
It's like saying that adding the EPEL repos to CentOS is a con, and I do that for every CentOS server I deploy.

it would break itself because it had an nVidia graphics card. sometimes the rpm for the graphics drivers would autoupdate and break xwindows it next time it came up (in this lab there were occasional power cuts), sometimes a kernel update would happen and break xwindows.

one time after a power cut the kernel decided to rename eth0 to eno1 and eth1 to eth0, so the entire networking got fucked up. god knows why.

you probably never have to deal with xwindows or power cuts. and you probably also turned off all your autoupdates to the kernel right?

after trying Ubuntu, Manjaro or fucking Solus, all of them have multimedia out of the box.

It's not a big con, years ago you had to do the same shit for Ubuntu.

lmao... linux in a nutshell

inorite?

this is why i shill for FreeBSD. it's an even better operating system code/performance wise, and you don't need to deal with this kind of crap. maybe your latest-and-greatest nVidia graphics card takes a month or two longer to be supported, but once it's supported, it's not going to spontaneously break because of "linux is just like that"

but windows doesnt werk.

I thought it's because he found it hard to install Debian

except sometimes it doesn't. there be bugs. and they are usually handled pretty quickly. that's one thing I like about fedora. BUT it should be noted that I can't give any fair comparison since I haven't used SUSE (just an example) as a daily distribution for over a decade so I can't say anything about their bug response being better or worse. I've just noted that Fedora tends to have some developer show up and respond to new bugs filed pretty quickly and it's usually fixed quickly too.

Fedora. other than some jus werks(tm) shit getting in the way sometimes, it's ok. it has the best package manager, best installer and a lot of free software out of the box with a whole patent encumbered or nonfree rpmfusion for anything else. Even has the latest GAHNOME 3 for normies.

literally don't get why people would choose anything else.

I haven't seen any serious bugs that affect usability since at least Fedora 19, and even then it was just my shitty Broadcom wireless adapter. But I blame Broadcom for that, because fuck Broadcom to hell.

yum is terrible.

fire up FreeBSD and try out pkg. there's a real package manager for ya

Because KDE is ass cancer.

dnf is not terrible.

The only breakage I've seen is from Nvidia drivers, because Nvidia are a bunch of assholes who won't support open source standards with their drivers.

Called it.

>he still uses yum

Attached: 43545435535435443.png (600x536, 301K)

still, he's right about that. I don't buy nvidia cards at all for this reason and I avoid nvidia to the point where I'll buy the one with integrated graphics over a model with a nvidia gpu any day even if there's not that big of a price difference. it's such a pain to have to let some closed binary blob dictate kernel and xorg version and so on.

it's true that upgrading the kernel will sometimes break your system if you have nvidia's binary blob infesting your system BUT I'd say that's your fault for buying novideo hardware and using nvidya binary blobs. intel and amd don't have this problem because they work with linux instead of treating it as an enemy.

Yum was killed several versions ago, and it's been in the process of being phased out for years. DNF is much better.