My brother broke my motherboard's capacitor so now it's pretty much ruined

My brother broke my motherboard's capacitor so now it's pretty much ruined.

I wasn't planning on upgrading from my i5-3570K anytime soon, but now I have to.

I see that the #1 CPU for video games is the i5-8400, and the i7-8700K has massive problems with overheating and Windows 10 activating hyperthreads and decimating turbo clock speeds.
Is this accurate? Seems weird that a $160 CPU is #1.

Attached: capacitors-up-close[1].jpg (1280x960, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-FBA_Z170M-D3H-GA-Z170M-D3H-Motherboard/dp/B013GJ0LBY
ebay.com/itm/ASRock-Z77-Extreme4-LGA-1155-H2-Intel-USB3-DDR3-90-MXGKX0-A0UAYZ-Motherboard/323177800215?epid=115841465&hash=item4b3ee5e217:g:19QAAOSwqGlavSfR
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just...... have some local repair shop solder on a new capacitor. They cost less than a buck each.

I had an i5 3570k and r9 290, upgraded to a i5 8600k and 1080ti, runs everything nicely at 1440p

What the hell am I reading?
Just replace the capacitor.
Even if you don't have the skills to, just buy a new 1151 motherboard.

I had an i5-3570K and a GTX 660, I was waiting for the new GPUs to come out so I could buy one for cheap, maybe one of the current ones if they dropped a lot.

I thought my CPU would be able to last me a while longer coupled with something like a GTX1070 or GTX1160 or whatever it's called.

There's no 1155 motherboards anywhere to be found.
I went on a forum for used parts and everyone is looking for used ones, while no one is selling. At least where I live.

I tried but they refused to be involved.

Call some more repair shops, you have to be an idiot to switch from a 3570k to something else in this day and age.

>There's no 1155 motherboards anywhere to be found.
God are you retarded.
Underage anyway, go back to

>My brother broke my motherboard's capacitor so now it's pretty much ruined.
how do we know you aren't lying to save face

who comes to Jow Forums and just randomly places blame on family members?

Not an argument. Link us some reliable sources to buy some new 1151 mobos.

Just replace the cap you dumdum.

Why? Anyone should handle a recap with even a 20€ chink soldering iron. Don't encourage stupidity and laziness.

I don't know how he did it, I thought these things are pretty sturdy.

I was cleaning my PC and he was helping, and when the time came to put the motherboard back in the case I think he tried to push it into the I/O shield until it clicks into place on the back.

I was holding the mobo by the CPU cooler, since I think that's the sturdiest place. I don't know what the fuck he did.

In the end,
Soldering iron - $10
60/40 flux core solder - $2
Spring solder sucker - $2
paceworldwide tutorial videos - free
practice PCB, a few resistors - $2
Fucking do it yourself.
Fuck that, he shouldn't be forced to do it himself. Plus, multilayer board desoldering is cancer.

GA-Z170M-D3H
literally just Google

Show me some links to confirmed reliable sellers.
Of course you can't.

Caps usually bend a bit cause of their thin legs.
You on the other hand, you complete imbecile, probably bent some pins on the motherboard.

amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-FBA_Z170M-D3H-GA-Z170M-D3H-Motherboard/dp/B013GJ0LBY
Define 'reliable'
Anyway even new motherboards are lga 1151 compatible. The only thing you'd want is to switch to DDR4.

>random amazon posting
What the hell do you mean by new motherboards

I had a similar issue when my i7 920 motherboard broke. Couldn't find a reasonable priced board. It was not much more buying a totally new and faster system.

This, if I'm gonna spend 120 pounds on a 6-year old motherboard on Amazon, might as well bite the bullet and buy a new one to upgrade.

DDR4 is absurdly expensive though

>Fuck that, he shouldn't be forced to do it himself. Plus, multilayer board desoldering is cancer.
>A person shouldn't be forced to know how to fix his own shit while browsing Jow Forums
I'd agree if we where on /b/.

>Plus, multilayer board desoldering is cancer.
The caps are probably SMD. You didn't think that S3 graphics card in his picture was his motherboard... right?
Also even thru hole caps on a multilayer board are not hard to desolder.

I reccomend just getting a used 1150 motherboard, remember that you got to invest in DDR4 ram if you want to get new stuff

2166Mhz RAM costs about the same as 3200Mhz RAM which is odd. And they're both very expensive.

Also Intel advertises B360 boards as "budget" but they cost 85 Euros for ATX size whereas Z370 costs 97E. And B360 cannot use 3200Mhz RAM either.

What a shitty situation.

just buy a capacitor with matching capacitance and solder that bitch in. If you can't do simple electronics work like that Jow Forumstfo and go back to /v/irgin

Just swap the goddamn capacitor.

How many shops you checked? Where you at?

definitely shouldn't do that without a hot rework or at least a heatgun... also you don't know if the cap failed in operation and brought down other components with it.

If you don't want to do the solder option
just buy overseas and wait a few months for a new one.

Either fix it, or get a Ryzen. Ryzen IS NOT #1 for gaming today. But Intel started to encourage multicore usage for game developers since Ryzen was launched, as Intel plans to compete in cores now.

>I wasn't planning on upgrading from my i5-3570K anytime soon
So my point is, since you didn't plan to upgrade you're 3570K "anytime soon", a 4/6 core might not be that usable in just a few years, only low-spec gaming as i myself enjoy, if that is years. Because beside Intel pushing core counts now, everything points at next-gen Xbox and PS seems to use it too. And PS is likely going to use Vulcan instead of a proprietary API like DrirectX, so we might see a large increase in games optimized for more than 4 cores.

If you don't care for that, and only want the next few years with a good mid-range gaming PC, yes, get a 8400 (don't get the 8700K just for gaming, those few frames are not worth the higher prices IMO)

op here
instructions were unclear i accidenly soldered my penis to motherboard
well, it works again but that's not the point

ebay.com/itm/ASRock-Z77-Extreme4-LGA-1155-H2-Intel-USB3-DDR3-90-MXGKX0-A0UAYZ-Motherboard/323177800215?epid=115841465&hash=item4b3ee5e217:g:19QAAOSwqGlavSfR

Here you go. This guy managed to hoard 500 z77 extreme4s, and he is willing to sell you one at full retail price.

I bought the very first consumer quad core CPU, the Q6600, back in 2008.

It's been 10 years since the "days of multicore gaming are just around the corner".

At this point I just don't believe it's ever happening, most games will continue to rely on one strong core.

>refurbished Asrock

yeah, i myself bought a 1060T 6core with the same complains as you. But i'm in no doubt, that since it's easier to code for fewer cores, and big brother Intel had the lead in single core performance, CPU related processing didn't result in optimizing for more cores, which is harder, but for fewer cores.

But we're not seeing any meaningful development in single core performance in the many last generations, and when both AMD and Intel is advertising more cores, i do believe it'll come.

full price for second hand is how "pc building" works, user.

Just swap out the busted cap. Won't be a hard repair if you've done any soldering in the past.

>doesn't know how to solder
>doesn't know how to look up and buy shit on digikey

the absolute FUCKING state of Jow Forums

It's refurbished so at least 4th hand.

1st hand was the original customer
2nd hand was ASRock's filthy slaves refurbishing it
3rd hand is the hoarder selling it on eBay
4th hand is me

At a minimum

>tfw replaced my 3570k a few weeks ago
>with a ryzen 1700

Attached: 1511213916113.gif (270x263, 3.91M)

Pretty sad, really. It's just amazing how a 5 year old chip could lose all support even though there hasn't been much progress.

Literally just replace the broken cap. If you know it's broken (despite clearly being retarded) then it must be through-hole electrolytic and, if it is, then it's an easy fix even for a novice.

For gaming i5-8400 definitely, also the 8700K doesn't have cooling issues unless you up the voltage and oc to the max