Jow Forums's text editor

what is your text editor?

for me it's vim because:
>i already know it
>it can do everything i need to do for editing code
>it is already installed on everything
>super lightweight and fast

i occasionally do work on java code in Eclipse but i installed the vim plugin so all my keystrokes are vim-like

other options:
>emacs
>notepad++
>sublime
>BBedit

anyone who says "nano" i will be embarassed for. anybody who says "i only use jupyter notebooks" i will openly say is a brainlet, but will secretly envy

Attached: block_highlighting.png (2116x1898, 627K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vi-improved.org/recommendations/
vim.org/download.php
github.com/zyedidia/micro)
github.com/tsul/dotfiles
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mostly vim

I hate it but it is relatively light and relatively fast

vim

vs code is unironically nice to use for gui but holy shit its written in some horrifying js monstrosity

Emacs.
Learned it first and the key combinations make a lot more sense to me to remember than vim.

vim with a handful of plugins.

vi-improved.org/recommendations/

VS Code. It has everything I need right out of the box. It's autism free. I do use Emacs if I'm in a terminal though, not suitable for programming.

>emacs
>not suitable for programming
Leave

whatever I feel like

day to day, I use notepad++ when I'm on windows, fucking love it
if I'm not on Windows, I'm probably using nano or mousepad because I don't really need a fancy text editor there -- the former works over ssh, the latter is light and supports syntax highlighting (so does nano, but it's what I've associated text files with in my file manager, and it integrates better when I'm doing primarily gui-driven shit)

Vim feels like one of those things where you have to keep using it almost everyday or else you'll forget how to use it.

If you're not using ed get the fuck off my board

t. boomer

kek, ed.

just for any lurkers here who don't know that this is a joke: if you can write one sentence in ed without losing your mind you must be the kind of guy who's very comfortable with punchcards. YOU DON'T EVEN SEE THE TEXT YOU'RE WORKING ON! it's literally from the era before they had monitors and instead waited for the printers to print shit out

>YOU DON'T EVEN SEE THE TEXT YOU'RE WORKING ON!
You can print more than one line.

bfrbf

you'd print off (at least part of) what you were editing
then you'd make your changes

ed's only problem is that it's basically anti-user-friendly
if something goes wrong, all you get is:
?

notepad++
>im unbanned yey

>if something goes wrong, all you get is:
>?
Press h to see the error and H to have it automatic print errors. This is for the GNU version at least.

poll from october

Attached: text editors.png (589x663, 24K)

Emacs when I need an IDE;
vim when I need a quick text editor;
gedit when I am lazy and I dont want to open a term for vim.

stop making lewd OPs

cant believe more dont use emacs

sad

Calling all left handed people, how do you use vi? Do you set a custom config?

If I'm slapping together a quick single-file project for testing something, I use nano. I'd like to get comfortable with vim eventually, but I'd rather not piss away time on learning how to use vim when I'm never going to use any of the capabilities it offers over nano. Nano is simple, intuitive, and it does what I need it to do.

For Java and Kotlin, I use IntelliJ exclusively. Unbelievably powerful IDE, it practically writes the code for you. I put it into distraction-free mode and use hotkeys to access project navigation/build command/VCS tools/etc.

For C, C++, Python, and Nim, I use Atom (please don't hurt me). It's fucking cancer but I haven't found a replacement that isn't a downgrade. I jump between projects a lot, so the project manager plugin is really nice to have. Its syntax highlighting and code completion both work way better than Notepad++ and Gedit, too.

Emacs is in many ways weird and terrible. It's still the best text editor in existence, though. I actually feel a slight sexual pleasure just thinking about emacs, at this point.

Attached: 1519424377061.jpg (540x611, 83K)

Give 5 reasons to support this.

Is it too faggotic to say I use Atom for writing programs?
I use notepad++ for all other kinds of text editing.

I don't understand how anyone uses vim without line numbers. In what way would it ever be bad to have line numbers visible?

for copying and pasting. i only use vim inside my terminal (iTerm) so if i don't need the line numbers, it's better if i can copypaste without the line numbers getting in there.

doing a quick :set invnumber is easy, i bet there's even a shorter one

I tried a variety of them. They all have countless problems.

>Atom
Painfully slow, however very comfy overall and a huge support for a variety of things. My second pick despite of the slow speed.

>VSC
Some claim it's Atom, but better. Wrong. The support is worse, the entire interface is more loaded, it feels crammed and is only a tiny bit faster than Atom.

>Brackets
Actually decent initially, but as soon as you install any sort of plug-ins, it basically goes to Atom speeds, however with even more lag. Every single time you open the plugin manager, it loads for 5 seconds. Just sloppy and bloated. The configuration is shittily implemented.

>Sublime
Actually pretty decent, tolerably fast, but with less support. Not much to complain about otherwise other than the price.

>Vim
Very snappy, very fast, but absolute mess with the vim language. Very good however if you're willing to out up with that shit.

>Notepad++
Extremely fast, but just lacks enough support plug-in-wise to make it a viable option for everything.

>Emacs
Unlike with Vim, Elisp is actually useable. It provides virtually everything you need, but also requires a LOT of time to properly set up. A tiny bit slower than Vim, but otherwise toptier. It's my favorite and the one I use. Also: Evil and Org mode.

>emacs requires a LOT of time to properly set up.
this is so true. all the guys i know who use emacs -- if they get a new computer it's like a full day of them tweaking it to be just exactly what they like. and then they have to go through whatever machinations are needed to make sure they can edit files on remote machines in their local emacs, because their emacs is so finely tuned to their own liking.

vim guys, otoh, we ssh onto wherever and we're good to go, with maybe a quick copypaste of a few lines into the .vimrc.

emacs is like setting up a beautiful house and farm with all the amenities, learning vim is like learning to survive in the wild

this

>
i occasionally do work on java code in Eclipse but i installed the vim plugin so all my keystrokes are vim-like

Vrapper?

Why do you hate it?

>vi-improved.org/recommendations/
Really nice link.

Not really,
There will be a time where you'll never forget it anymore.

Even better:
> :set relativenumber
> :set number

you nailed it! i forgot what it was called so i started up eclipse and waited the 2 minutes before i could check (pic related)

Attached: vim-eclipse_plugins.png (1344x906, 300K)

>super lightweight and fast
nigger my .vimrc is 50MEGABYTES

The guys you know who use emacs are fucking stupid for two reasons. They should know at least the basics of all the editors present in *nix systems by default (vi(m), ed, emacs...) if they log on to remote machines frequently. And reason number two is just have your config on a fucking remote repository so that you can use your setup on any other machine with little to no tweaking.

or just use tramp to connect to the remote machine directly

How does one installs vim with gui front-end on Microdick Wangblows ?

Reminder that Emacs can't show unbroken vertical indent lines

emacs is so much more than a text editor, so much better
people joke that emacs is an OS, but they're right. I always just use the easiest to setup linux distro because I know it's just a platform to install emacs on.
There is almost nothing you can't do in emacs, the only two programs I really interact with substantially anymore is emacs and firefox, and I use exwm and vim bindings to make firefox more like emacs.
You might ask: "why use emacs for everything?", but the reason is that emacs is better than everything. People swear by terminal applications, why? because the terminal provides a consistent light weight interface to everything you need. Emacs is like this, but better. Emacs provides a (decently) light weight _Configurable_ interface to every thing you ever need. Emacs provides the tools to change those programs, and facilitates you to change, improve, customize, and make new programs via it's self documenting nature and the elisp programming language.

Emacs is a superior way of life

Attached: 1529294197463.jpg (750x930, 92K)

vim.org/download.php
or via chocolatey package manager

Emacs + Vim

>not using Joe

Micro (github.com/zyedidia/micro)

My favorites after that would be emacs, nano, and gedit, but I don't really actually use anything but micro.

>Microsoft(tm) GitHub
enjoy your botnet

I use GNU nano because I've internalized the shortcuts so hard that i can't use any other editor anymore.

Not that I'd want to, nano isn't lacking in features at all, and any feature I was lacking, like quickly jumping to function definitions in projects, can be whipped up with a simple shell script.

Attached: astolfo hi~.png (219x249, 67K)

Attached: nano.jpg (1440x900, 57K)

>nano isn't lacking in features at all
see OP. can nano do rectangular selections? last time i used it the answer was no.

Why would you need to do this unless you spend all your time writing boilerplate in very verbose languages?
^K and ^U should be more than enough.

sublime text on my desktop and nano on my server
id like to learn stuff like emacs and vim but im a big bum

Attached: 468d2d85-89da-46bd-aa6a-9bc48a7b67f7.png (640x485, 332K)

Jetbrains stuff with IdeaVim and Acejump.

Vim is a nice text editor but I want an actual IDE if I'm going to do development. I have considered emacs but haven't gotten around to learning it, though I would like to one day.

Would people recommend checking out vs code as an alternative to intellij and such?

for me it's vscode because i get paid to write code and productivity is important for the team

students and sysadmins stay with vim, you're all useless anyways

emacs

VSCode can't display your project in multiple windows. It is objectively inferior to Webstorm for this... unless you only have one monitor for some reason. VSC also can't stack tabs properly, it just becomes one line with a really long scroll. Fucking stupid.

These are features Visual Studio has btw but VSCode doesn't because they are fucking lazy.

t. 30yr old .NET monkey

Attached: 1530197204080.jpg (380x349, 30K)

>unless you only have one monitor for some reason
show us you loneliness station faggot

I've never even worked somewhere without at least 2 monitors

T. Brainlet whose never used ed. Ed is the only real command line editor. Everything else is GUIs that sometimes rendered in a terminal. Ed is actually scriptable.

>having one monitor

Attached: 13 - Bu3EYD7.png (900x550, 857K)

fuck you all you fucking pieces of shit the only right option is the one i use and you should all die in a fire

am i doing Jow Forums right?

Attached: 1511221393811.webm (688x448, 545K)

no smug anime girl in pic related.
Opinion discarded

Attached: 1528403549188.jpg (320x454, 21K)

fuck you all you fucking pieces of shit the only right option is the one i use and you should all die in a fire

Attached: a35.jpg (600x336, 29K)

When I'm being productive: Visual Studio.
When I'm having fun just configuring and extending for configuring and extending's sake, emacs.

>GUI
>needing to use mouse
>ever
>can all be done more powerfully with simple command line tools

Theres something wrong with that anime girl.

Attached: 1529893148839.png (778x719, 712K)

nano.
You'd have to be a freaking pleb to not being able to utilize nano for what you need.

notepad.exe

vim is the most efficient way to write fizzbuzz in python
im l33t h4xor now

Attached: nutbladder_kaiji_s2_-_01_d721c8a703239419-31-42_resize.jpg (640x360, 46K)

Scite and Geany.

AkelPad.exe

fucking nano. what is wrong with nano. holy fucking goddamn shit there is literally nothing wrong with nano

No
t. left handed

It’s the vim life for me. I don’t know if I’m faster than in other editors (though it feels like I am) but I prefer its paradigm in general. I’ve been using it daily for about 3 years now.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 4.59.21 AM.png (3840x2400, 2.97M)

spacemacs with vim keybindings

Attached: spacemacs.png (1920x1080, 161K)

pluma

Kate, Gedit and Nano. Basically Kate does all I need, I'm very simple man.

But user, you can just copy your config file over and everything is set for you in a matter of seconds.

PHP Storm is the best one.
Surprised it's not more popular.

Attached: 1524045311954.png (3360x2056, 821K)

Attached: 1525951047797.png (2560x1600, 500K)

Are you talking about emacs? Cause if so, not for me. I have some files in other folders, so it easier to use a git repo. But if you're talking about Vim, I agree. Vim is waaaay easier and faster to setup on another machine, but if you're using a new PC to work, 30-60s of setup isn't much, and if you're using a remote machine, tramp is fucking awesome.

I use emacs, with Evil mode though. I think the modal editing model allows for more text-editing efficiency with fewer key chords (I don't know that vi keybindings are optimal, but they're good enough). However, I like how deeply customizable Emacs is and it has some key packages that I couldn't do without, like SLIME and Magit.

>emacs key chords
watching coworkers who use vanilla emacs keybindings always reminds me of stenographers. might as well code in plover

Could you share your config?

I was talking about emacs. What kind of config do you have?

Mine is written in org-mode and my config for the most part just loads the orgfile. So, if I need to use another machine, I'll just get access to both files, boot emacs and I'm done. And my config file is huge, I've been using it for years now.

I also have an org config file that's pretty big, because I like to document every piece of it, but I also have some configs specifically for eshell that I keep separate on a file in order to spawn a new emacs frame with eshell on it with a shortcut, and the aliases file for eshell. I also like to keep EXWM and mu4e config in separate files, I just like it better this way for no special reason at all.

Your friends are dumb. Free Dropbox account then run

ln -s ~/Dropbox/.emacs
ln -s ~/Dropbox/.emacs.d

Then you can edit that config and it will available everywhere.

This is dumb, you only need to store the actual config files (init.el or .emacs), with that approach every file created by emacs will be stored, even dynamic files.

You fucking idiot lol

github.com/tsul/dotfiles

Nice argument.

Attached: 1500690022949.gif (320x180, 1.09M)

Not too much point in arguing with an idiot.

Fuck off tripfag.

4coder is turning out to be pretty good.

>uses dropbox
>calls other idiot

Attached: You_are_under_arrest_for_being_a_faggot.jpg (1000x780, 103K)

>nano.

Attached: 1530029484670.gif (200x150, 1.65M)

what color scheme is that? I'm looking for a comfy light scheme

gedit, it does everything I need it to and has some basic features like syntax highlighting and a file pane at the side for quickly accessing files. In the terminal I use vim or nano depending on how I'm feeling.