Voting to make GuixSD the new official distro of Jow Forums

strawpoll.me/15986546
GuixSD is a GNU/Linux distro actually made by the GNU project. it would go very well with the stallman worship and the sticky image, and it's 100% libre and has not botnets, with no binary blobs and no systemd.
Should it be Jow Forums's new distro of choice?

Attached: Guix_System_Distribution_logo.svg.png (1149x1024, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
gnu.org/software/guix/
strawpoll.me/15987414
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/outreachy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why is systemd bad?

literally who?

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

The S and D stand for "sucks dick", so it's effectively Guix sucks dick! xD

to expand upon the DNS issue, see pic related.
gnu.org/software/guix/

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

I use Arch btw and you should use it too.

So that's a yes, then.

and for the cherry on top, the infamous motherboard bricking

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

Works on my machine.

>actually made by the GNU project.

Attached: 4a8.jpg (600x792, 87K)

install gentoo

Does arch uses systemd?

yes

Fuck,

So systemd maybe a botnet.
What should I use?

GuixSD is looking more interesting now.

GUIX is the most SJW linux distro in existence though

Don't you mean Linux for Negroes?
Nah we need a new distro

Attached: 1530236401679.jpg (471x377, 36K)

GuixSD would be a good choice.
If you wanna stick with Arch though, maybe check out Artix or Parabola. Artix is Arch with OpenRC, and Parabola I think has an optional OpenRC install.

>t. angry nigger jew

excuse me?

This.

Cool

happy to help!

bump

GuixSD isn't ready yet, and the non-free repos aren't very complete.
Just use NixOS for now.

Install Gentoo.

Here's a completely pointless strawpoll to decide what nobody actually agrees on!
strawpoll.me/15987414

Attached: 400cc MIRUKU.jpg (288x288, 37K)

Fuck off shill. This is about the superior GuixSD.

Uh oh!
I got called a shill here on Jow Forums!
What will I do, /jp/?!

Attached: dostedt.jpg (604x480, 110K)

It's not at Debian's level of polish, but it's very usable. It will only get polished with more adoption. Beautiful distro with beautiful scheme for managing everything.

>nb4 lisp
brainlets out

Attached: 1520674196971.jpg (400x400, 79K)

It isn't though, in any capacity.

Everything in guix is libre software. It is what you make of it. GPL guarantees your freedom, over you computing. Even if all of the SJW forces of the universe tried to cuck you out of existence.

GNU is a disease just like systemd.

> it would go very well with the stallman worship
dude, it's a meme. we're making fun of him because of his autism and lack of body hygiene habits

But if I kill myself out of /jp/, how will I shitpost about how cute and wonderful Reimu is?!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1506370656595.png (656x720, 416K)

In the same way that the constitution protects your right. The GPL protects your rights over your personal computing.

How fucking hard is this to grasp?

If you thought it was *all* ironic, then you missed the point entirely.

He is the crazy man that no one pays attention to, until they realize that every word he uttered was truth. (obviously he isn't right on everything)

>using SJWxSD
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/tags/outreachy/
Use NixOS instead.

it's just a freetarded NixOS, mainly born out of NIH syndrome by some tarded lisp weenie who fell for the "everything should be lisp" meme

Fuck off, Shillman.

What's a good completely GNU-less distribution of Linux?

>MUH FREEDUMS
>but you MUST follow these very specific rules, otherwise you're not free at all

Well you can apparently build the 4.4 and 4.9 branches of the kernel with Clang now
So maybe one day we can have a beautiful BSD Userland with a GCC-less mainline kernel

That'll be great. If there isn't a nice pre-packaged distro though, maybe it's time to learn how to build a distro myself.

>make GuixSD the new official distro of Jow Forums
lol, no.
Logo is literally an abstract rendition of the female genitalia, something which Jow Forums has never used, so how on earth does that fit to Jow Forums?

Attached: never_used_port.png (1123x833, 332K)

>Logo is literally an abstract rendition of the female genitalia

Nice projection virgin.
It's a gnu head not a female representation taunting you.

>libre-linux
>systemdisease-less
>guix package manager

That life.

>what is android/chromeOS

Basically useless.

I hate android et al. as much as the next guy, but this is a retarded statement and you know it.

Try using Android as a desktop or even tablet OS and get back to me on that one. ChromeOS isn't much better either.

I'm thinking about getting samsung DEX to do just that... any other option?

>Good old init
No

you can build 4.17 with clang

No other option, but that doesn't make it a good option.
As soon as you try using floating windows that should be updating while not in focus, you'll realize that there is no true multitasking to be had on Android. Unfocused windows are just put in a suspended state, the same as when you leave apps "running" in the background; They'll give you push notifications and otherwise just show a static image.

It's not good on a tablet, and you can forget about using any kind of "desktop" with it in the same way as you'd normally use a desktop. Get a proper laptop or Windows tablet instead of trying to use Android as anything but a phone OS.

>t. Galaxy Tab S3 owner

much appreciated!

Alpine.

>/v/poll
kindly fuck off

because it doesn't follow the core unix philosophy of being as arcane as possible

how do I install non-free software on it tho

GUIX is the package manager, and you can run said package manager on any UNIX-like operating system.

Why not plan9/openBSD?

TRIM when?
ZFS when?
Multicore firewall when?
NFSv4 when?

Let's go into those:
TRIM is vital to properly supporting SSDs. Without it, deleting a few pages from the storage would require the deletion of the entire block before putting it all back, creating unnecessary reads and writes and ultimately causing a faster degradation of the SSD.
ZFS, and other filesystems like it, provide numerous features both for better management of your data with subvolumes, as well as better security. The security features include snapshotting, checksumming of all data and metadata, bitrot protection, excellent implementation of software RAID, and so on. Backups should of course always be made, but they can be complimented with a better FS. I can just imagine it now: An OpenBSD admin routinely backing up his system, unaware that data is being silently corrupted. By the time it's a problem, it's too late. Imagine how far back he'd have to roll back to get to a stable state? If only he had a filesystem that wasn't written in the 80s, and actually did something to protect his data. OpenBSD has best security? I think not.
PF, at least on OpenBSD, does not support more than one core of one processor. Linux's netfilter on the other hand, does. Not much else to say.
It's been 18 years since NFSv4 was originally standardized, and OpenBSD has still not gotten around to implementing it. This is quite a deficiency, as NFSv4 now allows you to authenticate connections with Kerberos, and even encrypt the data transfers. Once again, you would think such a security-focused OS would care about such benefits, but alas, no.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

it is.

>retard posts this every day and never actually contributes
lol @ women. they literally can not program.

I'm already using GuixSD, so I support making it the official distro. We could even have recommended config.scm files for new users to build off of, with recommended security settings and such.

they're literally SJW communists

It takes the good parts of NixOS and removed non-free packages and systemd. Seems perfect to me. What don't you like about it?

the people who make it are communist SJWs

most programmers are degenerates with mental illness now.

Too bad the poll doesn't seem to be going that way.
Keep voting yes, guys!! Make Jow Forums Great Again

I don't care about systemd, however GuixSD is great. NixOS too, but GuixSD deserves some Jow Forums love for being gnu's distro. I vote for this. (P.S. In GuixSD you can run non-free software in docker, besides packaging yourself)

why do you want the non-pc people from Jow Forums to use your SJW commie infested OS? Just go use it yourself.

>why do you want the non-pc people from Jow Forums to use your SJW commie infested OS? Just go use it yourself.
Proof of an instance of the GuixSD acting like SJW, please.

woah you got me there, this has NEVER HAPPENED

> made by gnu
into the thrash it goes

i vote for void

>hates Systemd
>uses gnucancer
Why do people do this?
Daily reminder that Stallman and the FSF have nothing wrong with Systemd because it is GPL. GNU loves viral cancer with bad philosopby, and Systemd is right up it's alley.
The only reason GUIXSD doesnt use Systemd is because they are going to switch to GNU Hurd when it comes out.

>The only reason GUIXSD doesnt use Systemd is because they are going to switch to GNU Hurd when it comes out.
Nope! I think they were planning to add HURD as an option, but the linux-libre version will always be there.

bump. Keep those votes coming in!