/plan9/ - Plan9 General

Welcome to /plan9/, the first and only general for users of Plan9 OSes.

Links:
9front.org
jehanne.io
harvey-os.org
vitanuova.com/inferno/

New users are recommended to start with 9front before transitioning to another OS.

Attached: what.jpg (600x249, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

9p.io/wiki/plan9/Fonts/index.html
exploit-db.com/platform/?p=Plan9
derpibooru.org/699384
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For all you ricers wondering if Plan9 is worth your time

Attached: VMUK72z.png (1600x900, 28K)

Attached: plan9.png (1280x800, 45K)

Why would I use this.

It's simple and just werks, you don't have to deal with GNU and Poettering bullshit and you certainly don't have to deal with Microsoft or Apple

What about Unix bull
shit?

Attached: unix1.jpg (349x526, 45K)

Attached: dHdWogS.png (1280x1024, 28K)

write useless programs in ansi c

What advantages does it have over distros like alpline linux and void linux?

Imagine an OS where you literally have to edit source code just to rice the colors.
Imagine an OS where none of your *nix knowledge actually rolls over, you're basically relearning your os from scratch

Are there any useful web browsers for Plan9?

Lol

For one thing it isn't a Linux distro, it's a completely separate OS. It's far simpler and more secure than any Linux distro out there. If you just need to get work done, preferably in C or golang, then Plan9 is great for you.

Plan9 is not that complicated and is actually really similar to any other unix system. The source code is also pretty tiny and the entire kernel can be compiled in under a minute on a fucking raspberry pi.

Enjoy your ban :^)

Not really, you can run Linux or Winshit in a VM on 9front using vmx though.

>not BSD
-_-

Are there fonts that won't rape my fucking eyes?

I don't love much in life, but I fucking love Plan9

9p.io/wiki/plan9/Fonts/index.html

>It's far simpler and more secure than any Linux distro out there.
gonna stop you right there. nothing as new and unpolished as a brand new fucking operating system can be called "secure" -also, this entire thread is a joke isn't it? It has to be. I was reading up on plan 9 and, oh god.

It's old af, yet has only had 1 vuln
You can't not call it secure

Can mothra post on Jow Forums?
Or are you using abaco?
Pic: me trying it on a crappy laptop a few months ago.

Attached: 20180402_202732.jpg (3264x1840, 1.21M)

>It's far simpler and more secure than any Linux distro out there.
Even if it really is more secure than linux, that's not enough to justify its usage over linux (or even BSDs).
I'm probably going to test it on a VM anyway, I'm sure it's a very interesting os.

Looks like some 16 year old with OCD made this, would not ever use this garbage.

>inb4 barneyfag

Not that guy but it is weird in the way you start some programs for example for the sudoku game you need to type games/sudoku but most commands from unix are still there(man is there too!)

oh it has plenty of vulns its just nobody has taken the time to find them because nobody fucking uses it so it'd be a waste of time. It's security by obscurity. Ie, not.

exploit-db.com/platform/?p=Plan9

9front is probably the most well supported, but Jehanne has a lot of promise since the goal is to get more of the standard Linux tools running on it

It's not a new OS retard

If I get banned it just shows that the mods have a hateboner for Plan9. We have constant desktop threads, /bst/, /sqt/, /fglt/, but apparently you think /plan9/ is a bannable thread.

Barneyfags need to die

Attached: Bronies, this is your mindset.jpg (307x156, 30K)

fuck off

Attached: 1373330483200.png (511x101, 23K)

Guys please stay on topic, this thread is for Plan9 not for your bickering about children's shows.

Attached: GDnyKUv.png (1600x900, 43K)

then why did you post mlp shit in the OP? you asked for it

Attached: 1499417404654.png (562x389, 165K)

Neck yourself, degenerate fuck
derpibooru.org/699384

Attached: Screen Shot 2013-04-19 at 10.01.45 PM.png (786x81, 26K)

the first one sounds great
the second one not so much, depending on who you are.

Where did the mlp meme go?

w3m works on Plan 9?