/wt/ WATCH THREAD

BALLIN' ON A BUDGET LIMITED EDITION THREAD

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people:
youtube.com/watch?v=m986siwzefs

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Old bread:

Attached: 6584t6tg54g.jpg (2016x1346, 734K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Casio-Shock-Quartz-Resin-Casual/dp/B073ZHGNVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530300922&sr=8-1&keywords=g+shock+ga700uc-8a&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you had to own just 3 watches in total, and each one of these 3 had to be priced less than $600, which three watches would you choose?
You can not buy 1 for $1800, it has to be 3 seperate watches below 600 each.

Attached: SARB033.jpg (1200x731, 128K)

you should've put the discord link in op m8

>BUDGET

Attached: Screenshot_20180408-233219-237x4431.jpg (237x4431, 419K)

You should have made the thread yourself, didn't see that obscure post from 0900 this morning.

Attached: 654sdg654s6df54.jpg (2016x1512, 682K)

What are the hidden messages?

Fourth for ruined vintage Seiko bracelets.

Attached: 20180502_232640.jpg (4032x3024, 3.13M)

Laco automatic flieger, Seiko dress watch and an automatic diver of some sort, probably the Maratac SR-35 since I own that.

Attached: wre65t4gge65r4ge65rg4e65g4.jpg (2016x1336, 615K)

Attached: 1491705912847.jpg (392x500, 45K)

Why are these racist images still allowed on this board in 2018?

Colin Powell is black, doesn't count, you racist.

Attached: DASRACIS.jpg (410x255, 19K)

Where is tudor and beads?

Sinn Model 8828A (actuall listed for 600€)
Casio G-Shock
Seiko SARB017 Alpinist or Seiko Presage SPB063

Post your unicorn

Attached: 123123.jpg (1080x1080, 91K)

>Sinn Model 8828A
Can someone explain why so many seem to like this brand and these watches? I'm not contesting it or anything, just curious.

I see these pop up semi often. There is one up right now.

What's the minimum I need regarding instruments to mod a seiko watch?

Kind of annoying to order parts and instruments that are only going to be used once.

Reminder that:

>if your dad didn't gift you a Rolex by the time you were 21, your dad either didn't love you, or you were birthed by human garbage too poor to buy a Rolex (kys in this case)
>if your dad didn't love you and you don't/didn't buy a Rolex for yourself before age 30, you are a complete loser and should kys

Attached: IMG_5880.jpg (780x476, 77K)

Should l get this or a fuckin dw5600?

amazon.com/Casio-Shock-Quartz-Resin-Casual/dp/B073ZHGNVC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530300922&sr=8-1&keywords=g+shock+ga700uc-8a&th=1

Nth for 1938 military mistakes

Attached: 34F24E9B8CAB4D7C9684CD7A27A5C57E.jpg (496x338, 45K)

Ok, guys. List in your opinon the top 20 (or top 10 if you are a lazy son of a bitch) iconic watches.

It does not need to be in any particular order, but if you want to take that extra challenge then you can add an order to them as well (1 being the most iconic).

GO!!

Attached: Oyster Perpetual 39.jpg (900x593, 122K)

f91w x 20

Attached: f-91w.jpg (1200x1200, 160K)

Reminder that:
>Rolex makes uninspired looking watches
>Rolex is for normie-with-money tier tasteless retards
>A Rolex will not earn you respect with people who are worth being respected by
>If you buy your son a multi-thousand dollar watch, you are a shit father and incapable of raising an actual grown man

Attached: 1523573945502.gif (480x480, 3.46M)

Top three no particular order:
Rolex with first automatic Date.
Seiko Quartz Astron. First quartz on the market.
Rolex Submariner. Not the first diver but the most iconic and copied.

Attached: _img.jpg (1400x933, 108K)

>not even willing to do top 5.
You are the most lazy person alive.

Did that melanin enriched gentleman have a gun in his hand?
I'm appalled by modern culture and it's violence.

well there is this guy For me it's the omega moonwatch I guess

>Not hands-free sipping your Sprite and dancing with a gun in your hand at all times
You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Attached: 1523109853152.jpg (640x640, 51K)

Then there is this guy

That hour hand...

Attached: image.jpg (1242x1321, 1.07M)

A King Seiko 45-7001, an Omega Seamaster 168.024, and my Speedmaster Mark 4.5 which I actually did get for less than $600 over a decade ago.

You didn't say no vintage or that the $600 had to cover servicing costs, so their you go.

Attached: LRM_EXPORT_20180626_083628.jpg (2534x2534, 2.62M)

REEEEE

Give me TOP 20 !!!

(at least top 10)

We're on holiday together.

Which is the dominant persona, beads or tudor?

>Rolex makes uninspired looking watches
Have you considered the fact that they look "inspired" because everyone has copied Rolexes timeless designs, you utter clown?

>Rolex is for normie-with-money tier tasteless retards
This is what people who have been into watches for six months say.

>A Rolex will not earn you respect with people who are worth being respected by
Irrelevant, it pisses off poorfags. Good luck trying to make poorfags jelly with your Patek.

>If you buy your son a multi-thousand dollar watch, you are a shit father and incapable of raising an actual grown man
You say "multi-thousand dollar watch" as though there is any other type, watches start at $2000 minimum. If you can't afford to spend $7000 on your son once you are a pathetic father and have failed your son.

>t. literal retarded faggot

Attached: 1529544125990.gif (300x226, 1.8M)

>tfw no special limited edition glock fowty with surface rust and hi-point written all over it to fool the plebs

Attached: fuck.jpg (324x324, 15K)

>You say "multi-thousand dollar watch" as though there is any other type, watches start at $2000 minimum.

Attached: omegafinishing.jpg (1500x1500, 333K)

Beads looks after me, he also decides what kinds of shitposts I post on /wt/.

>Glans hour hand
>Condom minute hand
Is this the Brokeback Mountain edition Alpinist?

>tfw ywn have a gf that appreciates horology
why live?

Attached: lkojihugyf.jpg (300x218, 12K)

This one would have to make the list. Also probably sub, Seiko astron, Nautilus, calatrava, moonwatch, Lange 1

Attached: 20180629_001345-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 2.18M)

Is the autism shelf guy still here?

Attached: Seiko_W670-4000.jpg (950x713, 63K)

>>tfw ywn have a gf that appreciates horology
>why live?
you have to go after teen girls, the younger ones are more likely to be into timekeeping in my experience

i hate being a retard in general threads, but any recommendations for $150-250 watches? I'm down for anything, only owned a shitty Casio from 2000-2004 but haven't worn a watch since. feel free to flame.

Do you care about mechanical movements or just want a quartz? What do you value in a watch?

windy is that you?

50 Casio f-91ws

Attached: f91w.jpg (3104x1746, 1.25M)

prefer analog now, sorry should have mentioned. any type of strap, any type of face. just wondering what's popular or reliable at the moment. don't need any extras, just shopping around at the moment.

go for seiko pressage or seiko 5sport models

yup

>popular
Do not use this term here.

Anyways get a citizen citizen bd0020 if you want a simple and cozy quartz timepiece.

Post full collection pls.

Just helping you out, the people reccomending Quartz watches are trolling you.

> "Mechanical or quartz?"
> "Analog."
Go to Target and buy whatever you like the look of.

AP royal oak

Rolex
>oyster case
>Sub
>GMT
>Day-Date
>daytona

Fifty Fathoms

Seiko has more but
>Tuna
>SKX
>some grand/king/when they they started the of the grammar of design

Breitling Navitimer

Omega Speedmaster

Heuer
>Carrera
>Monaco

Cartier
>Tank
>Santos

JLC Reverso

Flieger by all 5 but count as one because it's one watch
Same with the type XX

IWC Portuguese

Unironically Panerai luminor
Unironically Apple watch
Unironically Swatch

Not sure how many that is but I could keep going

How come no one mentions this ?
You can't deny it's iconic value.

I don't mean popular overall, I mean popular cheaper watches here that people like. I'm interested in learning more about the mechanical merits of watches, just looking for an ok entry level

Seikos are all pretty nice looking. Do you all buy used or what?

come on

>Not sure how many that is but I could keep going
Keep going please.

you might look up the urban gentry or long island watch on youtube for some better suggestions and explanations if you care enough to spend time looking

Good picks
>Unironically Panerai luminor
>Unironically Apple watch
>Unironically Swatch
No need to declare "Unironically", iconic doesn't have to mean good.

>Do you all buy used or what?
depends, a few of the Seiko models are less than 150€ new, so why bother with a used one? But I tend to buy used expensive watches because savings.

> Go to Target
I'm not trying to be a jerk, if you don't care about watch tech, there's no reason to do anything else.

That said, if you want baby's first mechanical watch, get an snk80x, or an Orient Ray ii if you want a diver style. These are the lowest-end mechanicals worth buying.

Again, just being straightforward: don't buy used, you don't have the knowledge or skills to figure out what's okay to buy and what's busted/a scam.

Attached: Screenshot_20180623-143520_Amazon Shopping.jpg (1079x1645, 513K)

Use this guide.
It's kind of outdated, but the only major difference you should be wary about is that the new Orient Mako (II) has hacking, handwinding and a good bezel. It's indeed better than the SKX.
Also Obris Morgan watches aren't available anymore (rip)

Attached: Poorfag_watch_guide_5.0.jpg (1600x4200, 1.92M)

Get one of those cheap toolkits.
You only really need a caseback opener, pliers and screwdrivers. A dust blower and a case holder are nice to have. Crystal press if you're going to change that.

yeah I like these immediately, thank you. I'll be back

yeah I hear you, I'm definitely not going to be buying used, just asking. I'm very interested in learning about this stuff but i'll start with reading and YT for now.

Thank you, I'm reading what I can

Good. I'd rather be with someone who doesn't care about my niche hobbies.

Maybe later I have some stuff to do at the minute and that was just a lost off the top of my head.
That's true, I felt like I needed to highlight those 3 though before /wt/ lashes back you know.

Did that idiot mistake a screw for a split pin?

Fat arm showing off

Attached: 20180516_135515.jpg (2560x1920, 973K)

Look at long island watch youtube they have some good videos on the basics. As long as you are aware HI IM MARK has autism and he is a shop so obviously shills his shit it's actually pretty good.

Long Island Watch YT channel has a nice series going called Watch and learn, talking about watches and giving general advice. Very informative.

No, that's my watch, not the user talking about ripping over their links earlier. The screw and threads are absolutely rusted to hell. Luckily the bracelet is the right size for me. Someday if I need to I'll probably have to have it drilled out.

Attached: 20180624_180947-3024x4032.jpg (3024x4032, 1.31M)

>No Explorer I
Are you even trying?

is that user with the fucked bracelet still here?
pls post a picture i wanna help

How do I get this? It looks so good ;_;

b-but user i had no other way

My list was already bloated and felt like it had too many Rolex. That's also kind of covered by the oyster if you count it as the predecessor and take into account no dates to the watches were posted.

Post your 20 watch list.

You should have taken it to a jeweler.

What's the difference between Casio Databank CA-53W and CA-53W-1ER ??

And CA-53W-1Z

i know i feel like an autist now

Was the 5500 the last Rolex model to have the Alpha handset?

R8 and h8.

Quality is kinda shit as I pretty much free handed the thing.
Watches are just filler I had lying around except top first and third.

Gonna buy some stands for this I suppose.

Attached: shelf.jpg (3128x2544, 1.89M)

>dat date window
no.jfif

> making poorfags jelly

Rolex fans, ladies and gentlemen.

tudor black bay replica for 500€ + laco flieger for 300€ + casio ocean anus s100 1ajf for 600€

Pretty cool user. Have you considered a colder color temperature? I find watches often show better in colors closer to natural light.

Is the best yet also cheapest Rolex the 14000?

Given the number of people who buy Rolex it's stupid to generalise like that. Anyone who really understands watches and horology would appreciate Rolex.

i would say either go warmer or colder lol

Stick to wood work, your taste in watches is shit.

>Anyone who really understands watches and horology would appreciate Rolex.
Yes, but they also tend to understand that rolex is now overpriced and it has that "muh rolex" stigma to it. It seems some in this thread get upset whenever someone points out this undeniable phenomenon. They are good watches tho, nobody is denying that.

Thanks bro, I thought about getting similar shelves the vintage digital guy has but couldn't find suitable ones for myself, also I'm a sucker for wood grain.
If I find a white version of this I will probably get it and put some leds in there.

>this thread
Its because the people that agree just silently agree. The others reeeeeee into the distance arguing how your wrong.

Ballin for only $318

Attached: IMG_20180617_134231_Bokeh.jpg (3456x4608, 2.45M)

Which one should I buy desu?

Also, if anyone could shed a light to this question:

Attached: s-l500.jpg (1008x499, 157K)

Nice my guy enjoy.
Not my taste but it's a decent watch. What specific one did you get?

People are annoyed by people who obsess about "but muh Rolex stigma" because you are letting this external normie shit cloud you from just looking at the watch as an object of technology. Fuck off with all this gay hype shit. I am not denying it exists but don't obsessively overthink it and let that mode of thinking sway you.

> rolex is now overpriced
how are they any more overpriced? even in the past a new rolex would cost several months salary, they still do.

> that "muh rolex" stigma to it
I don't know where you live but I've never experienced that locally, work or on my travels. All people say, if they comment at all, is "damn that's a nice watch"