A friend just offered me 4 8gb Kingston SSDs, for the price of a 64 usb flash, should I buy?

A friend just offered me 4 8gb Kingston SSDs, for the price of a 64 usb flash, should I buy?

Thought I'd use them with some old motherboards I have laying around.

Attached: Kingston-SSDNow-S100-SATA-25-8GB-SSD-Drive-23744A.jpg (550x389, 53K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eULFf6F5Ri8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>8gb
Worthless for any modern os out there, not worth it

Lol no.

That's not a friend, that's a conman.

8gb

what do they make this for?

What decade is this?

>Worthless for any modern os out there, not worth it
This

Maybe you could install puppy linux on them.
But any modern distro made for desktop wont fit in them, nor windows.

Couldn't he merge them into one 32GB partition with RAID 0? It would be hilariously impractical, but you could squeeze a modern OS onto there.

RAID 0, and you can use it as an OS only drive

or if you have a mobo that supports it use them as hybrid drive component with a larger HD.

Legacy.

impractical you say?
youtube.com/watch?v=eULFf6F5Ri8

>4x8gb
lol that's 32gb, you're paying double their price for some impractical pos
i bought a 16gb 2.5" SSD for 10eur a few years ago and even that works only for a light linux distro for a media consumption pc, win7 is barely usable (takes 9gb with a few basic programs), win10 is out of the argument

Those are really old drives, probably without trim support so one die and all the raid dies, kinda losing the point of ssd in the first place, op would be wasting his money.

That's a fucking scam, only 32gb total and no warranty, old drives probably on the verge of their lifetime, only a moron would buy that.

Attached: lol.jpg (842x520, 125K)

Pretty much what said, old drives, 4x the chance of failure, what's even the point? I think even buying some chink 32/64GB SSD is a better money investment at that point and if nothing else you save on making your case a clusterfuck of wires.

They're brand new

This video motivated me to get my first ssd years ago, a 120gb samsung 830, still rocking it.

Still not worth it, you waste 4 sata ports to do any meaningful shit with them, waste space and has 4 times the risk of data loss

>OP 32gb total, $16
>New SSD 120gb, $24
What a faggot, you can't call someone trying to sell that a friend.

>Couldn't he merge them into one 32GB partition with RAID 0? It would be hilariously impractical, but you could squeeze a modern OS onto there.
It's not worth using 4 Sata ports for only 32GB of space. You can get 256GB SSDs for $50 now.

>4x the chance of failure, what's even the point?
living dangerously is its own reward!

>what is wear leveling

Such old SSDs are incredibly unsafe, early days of ssds were full of failures, shitty controllers and crappy nand were rampant.

Did someone screencap that thread we had some weeks ago where a guy had 8 drives in RAID 0 configuration and one of them failed?

This?

Attached: 1511019319775.jpg (4011x2100, 3.73M)

You are true hero, user.

NAS boot drive, POS systems, other niche dedicated applications.

Set up an RAID array

You can use them for fun shit, but that price it's so fucking damn high.

Try to get them for really cheap, otherwise don't.

I used to have 6 64gb sataiii ssd in raid 0 on my old machine. Had to use a raid card because legacy didn't work well with it. Never failed after that. Pretty crazy read and write speeds though.

No, they are basically worthless at this point.

You should get into them and make them read like they are 1tb drives and sell them to China.

What should he have done with those drives instead?

bulky but fast pseudo usb storage if you had a usb3 dock for them.
install androidx86.
install win98se

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
he could have used any other level of RAID and still would have been fine losing one disk of data
RAID 0 is the equivalent of taking all the airbags, seatbelts, and non essential elements of a car out to save weight. You go fast but when you crash you're fucked

No. Its junk unless you're down for the impractical raid0.

Attached: 1529883605957.jpg (767x1024, 214K)

>8GB
jesus christ just buy flash drive and that ssd is the lowest form of binned ssd.

Can he use them only as the fast cache of a tiered-storage scheme?

this
fucking laughed my ass off starting at that screencap

Dont, 8gb is not enough for anything these days. I encourage you to recycle them, and buy a decent USB stick.

>he fell for the 16GB of RAM meme