Why isn't Matrix taking off?

>great protocol
>full featured (theoretically)
>open
>fully decentralized
>not dependant on a team, corp, etc
It could be as robust and widespread as email, while being modern and up with the times, instead it's still not fully stable and pretty much obscure, even amoung the tech guys.
What's keeping it from growing?

Attached: riot-im-logo-1.png (408x360, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-1/
matrix.org/blog/2018/04/26/matrix-and-riot-confirmed-as-the-basis-for-frances-secure-instant-messenger-app/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It is taking off somewhat.
puri.sm/posts/librem5-progress-report-1/
matrix.org/blog/2018/04/26/matrix-and-riot-confirmed-as-the-basis-for-frances-secure-instant-messenger-app/
Not as fast as Discord but still it is growing.

It is doing well

Just normalfags have no clue what it is because there is no marketing to shove it in their faces

On Matrix's side, their main server scales extremely poorly and the only way to get instant messaging again is to host a server just for yourself or a small group of people, or by joining some project's server. On Riot's side, they are working on a new, sleek and modern GUI because their current one is very poorly designed, this is the one that will reap the most users. There's other clients up and coming like Nheko and Fest but we have to wait first.

it feels buggy and unresponsive
also confusing

It has shitty ass laggy clients running on straight up repackaged javascript. The client needs to be written in C++ and support legacy operating systems to have any chance of getting adopted by people who use IRC. They are the only group of people who will use it.

>sleek and modern GUI
Aka electron shit. They need to trash their tools and stop using javashit. No desktop client should run javascript.

Riot is the reason.
It sucks on EVERY platform: it's slow, clunky and lacks basic features like voice messages.
The android app is the worst: constantly missing notifications, terrible camera that sometimes even crashes, and it shows a persistent "Listening for events" notification because the devs still don't know how to implement a fucking service in 2018 and the project has more open issues than stars on github.
I have to use this fucking garbage every day to chat with some of my friends and I hate its fucking guts.

Also, the Matrix server is heavy af.

Attached: 34690241_2052110418380630_6656658679791616000_n.jpg (382x480, 15K)

Yea this, I forgot to mention the app as well. It's a small step up from the desktop client but still immensely bad

As someone who has tried to use it, the signup screen/process is poorly designed.

Does anyone really consider voice message to be a basic feature? Especially for a team collaboration software? They barely made sense even with landline phones...
Also:
>constantly missing notifications
works for me
>terrible camera
why are you not using the native one?
>persistent "Listening for events" notification
Isn't this just the F-Droid (no push notifications) version issue?

I'm not saying Riot works well but come on. The alternative desktop clients are getting better too.

The notification issues and persistent notification are only if you don't use Google Cloud Messaging. Since this is focused on privacy, I'd say that's quite fucking important.

The camera in a messaging app is quite important for me. If you don't want to implement something tolerable, just launch the built in camera that will probably not suck.

Then don't use it. Either use web client in browser or use a 3rd party client like quaternion.

this

None of that ever stop discord though.

>>great protocol
No one cares
>>open
No one cares
>>fully decentralized
No one cares
>not dependant on a team, corp, etc
No one cares

Marketing, its always marketing. You can sell shit to people as long as the marketing is big and good.

>sleek and modern GUI
Please no, it's already better than Skype and discord. There's no point in reducing the GUI to their levels.

And here's the sad fact of the matter.

Oh no, I didn't mean this subjectively, I meant this regarding to what OP wanted to know which would bring in users. Everyone is copying the Slack layout unfortunately but the modus seems to be in that favour

Same reason nobody uses jabber even though it's objectively the best IMing protocol.

>Instant Messaging
for what reason? Who am I going to message? Your mother? Shit, she's needy enough as is.

shit mobile app and steaming pile of shit electron desktop client

the clients are absolute dogshit

the comfiness is nowhere near things like telegram, hell you cant even form a reply chain, just retarded mailing-list quoting which wreaks havoc in group chats

>What's keeping it from growing?
Not being actively advertised and shilled for normaltrash.