I use linux to tell my friends i installed arch

>i use linux to tell my friends i installed arch
why did you switch to linux?
ill start
>because its free, open source, customizable, and gets work done

Attached: download (15).jpg (300x168, 5K)

Because its customizability and lack of spying appeals to my autism

has actual shells out of the box, good for programming, runs fast, no weird 100% cpu and disk usage bugs as with windows

This, and my system resource are free for speedily compiling programs or running java backends without lag

Just so I could be different than everyone else. Using something that normies really don't know about makes me look smart.

This and you all know it.

We're in the same boat, friend.

Gaming can be done with Emulators

Because it makes me a hacker

Attached: yowkglvgsgp01.jpg (782x639, 18K)

The wobbly windows effect of Compiz.

SPINNAN CUBES !!1

I didn't, because I have a life.

Because I have no use for any of the features Windows provides

Attached: mugidab.png (669x472, 282K)

I still use Windows becuase plenty of games and software. I still like Linux for servers and get along well with Linux users :)

Because I'm a superior human being.

Best development environment for C

i switched to GNU/Linux because windows 10 became too restrictive, and got me fed up with closed source crap.

at first I wanted to just see if i could just live on FLOSS software, so i bought a thinkpad x200 and had it librebooted, put trisquel on.
Now 3 years later, i still have no regrets.

I tried to use it because I thought it was of higher quality than other OSs but Linux is actually kind of shit if you are willing to admit it.
>moving windows always feels clunky and laggy
>shit breaking every other operation you attempt
>spending half your time fixing something or looking on forums for help
>spending another 25% of your time using/optimizing emulators to do things that don’t work on Linux normally
>forgetting to type sudo on long manually typed out commands
As much as I wanted to like Linux it just isn’t user friendly enough to really be worth using all the time.

>>moving windows always feels clunky and laggy
don't actually know what you mean, it's great for me but this may be highly dependent on your window manager

>>shit breaking every other operation you attempt
also never had this

>>spending half your time fixing something or looking on forums for help
>>spending another 25% of your time using/optimizing emulators to do things that don’t work on Linux normally
>>forgetting to type sudo on long manually typed out commands
can't deny that

>As much as I wanted to like Linux it just isn’t user friendly enough to really be worth using all the time.
I definetly agree that its not as user friendly as it could be but I personally like it the way it is

>post the reason why you've installed it was because foss
>still use this website

Attached: 36958c56ea89649dfa68c25fe1b22b539fbcf06371a6ef2469012eb27ca25c75.png (889x1080, 1.34M)

>>forgetting to type sudo on long manually typed out commands
>not using vi/emacs editing mode in bash
what are you doing?

this cute little pocket of scalie fuckmeat.

Attached: KDE_mascot_Konqi_for_search_and_archives.png (3283x3973, 1009K)

so then you just press the up arrow and go to the start of that text string and type sudo
>spending half your time fixing something or looking on forums for help
half your time is an exaggeration, but its different for different people. personally i spend almost no time fixing broken shit.
>shit breaking every other operation you attempt
ive never had this happen to me
>moving windows always feels clunky and laggy
this is dependent on your window manager. personally i use a tiling window manager so i dont really do this that much, but however when i do move windows around it isnt laggy at all.
>spending another 25% of your time using/optimizing emulators to do things that don’t work on Linux normally
this isnt the same for everyone. but compatibility issues is a good argument, though games are one of the only things that dont really have decent alternatives for that run natively. also if youre referring to wine, its not a emulator, its a compatibility layer.

because of fucking telemetry

This would be a good thread if there were legitimate options.

I use it side by side with windows (no dualboot). I like to write source code that can run on both. Some things are for me easier to do in GNU/Linux, some thing do better windows, f.e. sometimes I just need Visual Studio and also I do some DirectX programming. But both work usually for majority of things I do and I'm finding myself using GNU/Linux more and more.

The user experience in Linux is kinda subpar, but forgetting to type sudo is a non-issue.
Simply type 'sudo !!' to repeat your previous command with sudo.

>sudo
Whole user safety idea is obsolete unless you run server. On personal computer just login as root if you are not total brainlet. This will trigger linux fags but fuck them.

You shouldn't use nVidia

Constant disconnecting from the internet in Windows, never happened to me once in linux. Happened to me on seperate computers with seperate versions of windows. Not sure if bad drivers or my router are to blame, but I don't really care because the problem was solved and I like linux more than windows now.

Works better off HDD than Windows on my laptop

>i wanted something new
>superior customizability
>windows telemetry
>muh freedom

I just got tired of Windows' bullshit. Wasn't really interested in Apple stuff, BSD was hardly even on my radar, and Linux had always interested me. So it won by default.

Attached: 1528049807751.jpg (600x605, 63K)

Because I hated microsoft, and thought anything that wasn't microsoft was the greatest shit ever. This was back in 2003. Now I hate Linux too. Don't think there is anything I like anymore, outside of old computers maybe. Computers were a mistake.

>i use linux to tell my friends i installed arch
use what works for you, not to get fake respect points

>why did you switch to linux?
I had my first PC in 2009 (I was already 17 yo :^)) which I shared with younger brother
can't install win xp because need drivers for HDD
don't know how to put drivers in ISO
heard about linux, know it's free
google, find ubuntu
download and install ubuntu 7.04
nice.jpg
GNOME2 feels comfy

afterwards I figured out how to put drivers to ISO, dualbooted with win xp, used windows 7 for some time
later when I got my OWN laptop used GNU/Linux exclusively
few years ago started using arch linux on my desktop PC
never looked back to windows because GNU/Linux does everything I need:
- comfy programming environment
- comfy everyday use
- only game I play works fine with wine

why would I even consider windows is beyond me

i didnt. I have a great computer running windos. and i use a macos computer at my job. One could argue macos is linux, we all know it kind of is, but its just better.

Don't forget about the fire effects and exploding windows

>late 2013
>still running XP on my Pentium 4 desktop / Pentium M laptop
>hear MS will cease support in 04/2014
>pretty sure Win7 won't run smoothly on my old junk
>meanwhile gf buys an Atom notebook with 7 Starter, it's shit, as in totally unuasable
>sweatyman.jpg
>look for alternatives
>remember Linux exists
>look for lightweight distros
>find out about Lubuntu
>install 13.10 on P4, it runs better than ever
>same for Pentium M laptop
>look gf in the eye, 'you have to trust me'
>install Lubuntu on the little Acer
>our lives are forever changed
>we legally change our last name for the Linuxes
>a year later our first baby is born we call her Lubuntu
>nowadays we spend most our Sunday afternoons in the park playing neofetch with our dog Bash
>it's the perfect life
>tahnk you Linus

Attached: dad mom daughter and dog sitting on the grass zestate planning attorney lawyer philadelphia springfi (1280x854, 322K)

It’s more secure and I can control what gets installed and what doesn’t.

Attached: 87E6AF86-F819-41EB-B024-4BE6CFC78196.jpg (1000x800, 90K)

I use Linux at work because everyone else does, so configuring everything to work on windows would be a pain in the ass.
I still use Windows at home because:
>muh games
>visual studio is goat
>in the last 2 years it didn't break even once
Meanwhile the Linux at work constantly shits itself:
>headphones stopped working after kernel update, wasted like 4 hours to fix it
>lock screen randomly freezes until I change to tty2 and back
>sometimes after leaving it locked I find it permanently frozen the next day
>couldn't detect new keyboard

>>headphones stopped working after kernel update, wasted like 4 hours to fix it
>>lock screen randomly freezes until I change to tty2 and back
>>sometimes after leaving it locked I find it permanently frozen the next day
>>couldn't detect new keyboard
never had issues like these on debian or arch, you should switch to a different distro.
if fixing headphones means having to run alsamixer, then I have experienced that, but it's a trivial fix. Try using slock if your lock screen is causing problems. Never heard of keyboard problems on Linux. Either the keyboard is a piece of obscure crap, and your kernel is ancient, or the keyboard is faulty.

80-100MB usage while idle with WM running plus my turbo autism is very pleased with all the ricing

I didn't. I started using linux so that I could run Wietse Venema's satan.

sudo !!

I switched because it's free, open source, good for programming, and customizable. Then I switched back because I was tired of shit not working right.

Because Windows 10 made my laptop morbidly obese.