Download linux mint because i keep hearing good stuff about linux

>download linux mint because i keep hearing good stuff about linux
>no audio
lol

Attached: cover_cinnamon.jpg (640x288, 174K)

>Mint
found your problem

what is it about mint that doesn't want to recognize a monitor with built-in speakers?

bump

Had the same problem with Debian. Fixed it by installing Arch.

Just so you know there is a solution to the problem, I was just to lazy to find out what to do. Try tinkering around in sound settings by changing input and output sources, and in a terminal type in alsamixer and make sure nothing is muted. Install pulseaudio if that isn't allready done.

Attached: linux anon.png (1340x327, 58K)

>a monitor with built-in speakers
So you have never tried headphones to see if the audio works at all?
Also there's already
>>>/sqt/
>>>/fglt/
for these issues

a shame your thread is so shit nobody can help you, kill yourself

headphones work fine, that's not the issue

>use retarded distro
>blame the kernel
lol

and what distro would you recommend in its place? gentoo? lol

So when you said "no audio" you meant "audio works normally except when I use my monitor's built-in speakers". Nice bait thread. My monitor was crazy expensive and it has built-in speakers as well, which I didn't even realize at first. My cheap, small, low quality external speakers shit on them totally, so what did your ears ever do to you to deserve such shitty sound? Sounds like Linux did you a favor.

no, there's no audio unless i specifically use my headphones
owned

>owned
Anything you plug in to that same 3.5mm port will work just as well as your headphones.
Owned.

shouldn't an HDMI port work for audio on such an advanced operating system?

If you install drivers. Sure.

It's like windows. You need to install drivers to make hardware work

How does i do that

Go back to windows

why are you replying to yourself?

Audio through HDMI has been an issue for many people. It's because it's proprietary and things have to be fixed by trial and error on kernel developer side. Just use headphones and external speakers and you'll get much better audio quality as well.
>HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a proprietary audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from an HDMI-compliant source device, such as a display controller, to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device.[4] HDMI is a digital replacement for analog video standards.

So this is the most user friendly distro? HAHAHA

This must be a linux only problem because I'e never had issues with hdmi on windows.

Yep, everything else is more hostile and aggressive. Fuck you by the way.

HDMI audio works fine, your monitor is trash.

It's a problem for every OS. You obviously didn't choose to install proprietary drivers for all HDMI devices to work.

okay, what’s the point of this thread?

Hey fuck you. I'm not OP.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-07-01 at 11.59.16 AM.png (448x372, 56K)

Free and open source developers aren't going to buy proprietary licenses for every little thing, they are making their own versions by figuring out how it probably works. That's pretty difficult but at least no company will own the license for that new software and they can distribute it freely without getting sued. The fact that Linux(+GNU) works as well as it does is crazy and has required tons of work for decades. If something isn't proprietary it's probably supported on Linux before it ever gets into Windows and MacOS. That's what happened with USB 3.

I've connected my windows desktop to my monitor and my tv with a 5.1 audio system with no audio or video problems. I've connected my windows laptops to my tv and other peoples tvs without audio or video problems.
Am I misunderstanding something? Wasnt OPs issue have to do with audio passthrough?

>why are you replying to yourself?
Lol you fell for it im samefagging with proxies I am op

this is why a regular computer user don´t want to use linux, i want all the shit recognized, it´s like you are asking me abput do "some tinkering" to get the lights on in my own house. Some people don´t need to waste time tinkering getting the fucking audio, some people want to turn on the fucking pc and record/edit audio, linux is a fucking failure to the regular user.

Check your audio output settings, you massive faggot.

>install mint 19
>works better than enterprise distros like suse ubundoo and fedora
werks on my machine™

If your lights require an installation CD that is only provided by the lamp manufacturer then don't cry if no one helps you install them when you lose the CD. Maybe next time you'll choose open standard hardware that is compatible with everything. It was an important lesson for you and you're the failure here. Stop blaming others that your breath smells like semen when you suck dick willingly. You were warned but didn't think it was important at the time.

>gentoo
fuck off, not everything you're not familiar with is gentoo
do your own research
>lol
kys

Fuck off Niall

This was basically my experience the first time I tried to install Ubuntu on a laptop, except I also didn't have Wi-Fi. I just plugged in an Ethernet cable and looked for the drivers I needed online. I think most "tech-illiterate" people would stop being tech-illiterate if they would make an honest attempt to figure out and solve their own problems.

>be me
>install open linuxminbuntusech
>start it up
>looks like shit
>spend 2 hours semi-sucessfully tweaking appearances till it finally looks nice
>give up
>boot up fresh winblows 10
>cum because it's 3 options and I'm done
Lunix fans get cucked by big bad Bill Gates

KDE Neon

Just install Manjaro. Basically it's Arch for the masses. It is simply awesome.

I'm not a fan of cartoons

Have you installed pavucontrol? Do that.

Again, he either didn't install some meme drivers or didn't set the monitor as an audio output device in volume settings.

You need speakers for it to have audio

No it hasn't. You literally just open the audio panel in mint and click the fucking HDMI and done. Works through GPU just fine.