/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in boards.Jow Forums.org/g/#s=csg

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: 1528205821221.png (1271x999, 349K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8vamlz/mr_speakers_aeons_why_are_these_praised/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8utjxk/why_do_planar_headphones_trigger_my_tinnitus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Previous thread reached bump limit right when I was asking for suggestions.

So let's say I looked up the Mad Lust Envy guide on head-fi and I'm interested in the Fidelio X2. I'm mostly using them for music and console gaming, especially gaming. Besides an Astro MixAmp which seems to be recommended by the same website do I also need an AMP, or am I good to go at that point?

oh, oh, oh
what is santa bringing

Attached: 1527837363851.jpg (392x375, 44K)

Reminder.

Attached: Stillhavethem.png (639x338, 175K)

buystax

who the fuck is actually dumb enough to buy headphones over 250 bucks. what is wrong with you people, how much do you need to like music to fucking spend to cost of high end pc for a pair of cans. My the lord have mercy on your souls.

which should i get?

topping dx7 or ifi micro idsd black label?

You don't need anything else. The MixAmp is your amp, if that's what you decide to buy.

It's not even about liking music, it's about buying new toys to play with.

I'd say ifi because if anything goes wrong with it I'm sure you'll get better support than Topping. But idk how the ifi measures.

Smart people know that the hd600/650 are the reasonable end game.

If HD58X is good enough, I'll cancel my order for the HD6XX.
Just looking for a neutral pair with a tasteful bass lift. With just enough air/treble.

@66569216
Has argon user posted any proof yet?

ifi's support is garbage

of course not

Leather is organic, and even after processing is limited because it is literally a dead animal's corpse.

Vegetable processing instead of traditional chromium-based tanning helps this. Removing the dead cow from the picture entirely and using ground up eggshell pulp helps with longetivity and sweat reduction ( protein leather ).

But ultimately, plastic leather ( PU or polyurethane ) will last the longest and reduce the amount of sweat you produce after a prolonged session. Plastic is less organic than protein or regular leather, so it can withstand more abrasions over its lifetime and does not require any expensive cleaning kits.

If you produce leather or protein leather earpads, you also miss out on a small portion of the market in Cali. or hipster NYC that is strict veg. or vegan and want as little animal byproducts as possible. This is why companies like Audeze make vegan pads.

With the reduction of animal-based eating and the introduction of new tech like Future Leather, you're just going to see more and more of this. In fact, soon the difference in feel might not exist at all.

Attached: ShibuyaJapanCruiseNightCadillacback1.jpg (2040x1360, 690K)

Something like this?

Attached: hmhm.png (573x353, 17K)

The ifi has a battery in it? ew

TFW argon user really has stax and you don't.

Attached: 1530414105501.png (645x1260, 440K)

Its more of a collecting thing really...

If they actually loved music they wouldve just spend their money on traveling and visiting live concerts.
Or maybe they do both? Who knows?

Personally I'm buying one of these headphones for the first time. Of course my budget doesn't go over 250 bucks.

yea it's marketed as a (trans)portable

>cost of high end pc
What are your specs /hpg/? Not really seen anyone bring them up in here.

Should I get a topping a30, an O2 or something else? I'm pairing it with my topping d30

Attached: tyll.png (314x328, 213K)

imo a high end pc is about $1500 not including monitor

meier audio corda rock

Maybe they are using some new stuff now, but I remember using some a. leather pads a few years ago (dont remember which brand it was) and it was fucking horrible, I sweated a lot, and touch was not nice at all. If they can make material better to touch and less sweating then I guess thats a good thing.
And their higher model (L700) is using natural leather for pads, AFAIK.

For marketing part, i agree, people LOVE to be entertained with some marketing BS.

I wish I was this smart two weeks back.

Lol I use my headphones more than my tv/pc/car why should I not spend more money making sure they sound amazing and are comfy if I use them for hours every day

You don't get mad at people for buying 1000 dollar TV's that never get used user, why get mad at headphones?
Headphones are an appliance user, they're like a 79 inch lcd tv to me

Attached: IMG_20180630_010730.jpg (4608x3456, 2.31M)

Argon user here I don't even have high end PC is right. This is fine for music and some games right?

Attached: Capture.png (682x529, 45K)

That's a turnoff for me. Feels like your paying for something you'll never use, well maybe you will but I wouldn't.

quality of life question, I think headphones is the thing I have clocked the most hours in of all my things
I changed PC 3 times in the period of single pair of headphones.

Dog says "These headphones have no highs. I can't hear anything above 20khz"

Well said. People buy 100k sports cars that get driven a handful of times a year and no one bats an eye. Someone spends 1k on headphones that get used every day and everyone loses their shit.

>who the fuck is actually dumb enough to buy headphones over 250 bucks
The problem is the manufacturing cost for calibrated headphones goes up very quickly compared to your normie shit.

$250-$350 is the sweet spot where you're getting the most value for money at an acceptable level of quality.

That said, some headphones break even at that price. I miss my AKG K712 Pro, but the manufacturer refunded me totally.

>If they actually loved music they wouldve just spend their money on traveling and visiting live concerts.
And have your eardrums blown by oversaturating speakers? NO THANKS!

>I can't hear anything above 20khz
What ? Your hearing dose not go above human limitations? Wow. You are missing out on the Tingsha bell you know that thing that everyone uses in songs?

Dogs can hear up to 40-60 kHz, so they will easily pass "mp3" test btw.

What headphones dose he use /hpg/?

Attached: 5a8fe95daae6051d008b4592-750-503.jpg (750x503, 79K)

Go to a classical or a live jazz concert, if you dont want to hear any speakers.

Trust me, good performance of orchestra will give you emotions and enjoyment that worth a month of listening to orchestra in headphones or even speakers.

>live jazz

Attached: 1530418684428.png (551x491, 261K)

My K553 earpads are starting to show some cracks.
What's a good replacement earpad I can buy?

Ah, I see you are a man of no taste.

jazz is a meme genre, next to nobody actually listens to it they just say its their favorite to sound smart

He's probably gen z user
Hi all meow meow

Attached: IMG_20180526_122751344.jpg (2340x4160, 2.26M)

My current earphones are dying as one of the earpieces has simply fallen off from enough pulling or whatnot. Got any good suggestions for earphones around 100 euro? I listen to a lot of different things so no need for any items optimal for a certain bunch of genres

Attached: 1522599097026.jpg (986x900, 135K)

stax

Attached: apple-airpods-2016-014.jpg (1600x900, 179K)

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1515069500966.png (1280x721, 1.07M)

My old ass FiiO E7 + E9 is shitting the bed driving my HD650's.

What are some good current alternatives, budget-wise? Been oogling DAC-X6 on ali for a while but not sure if I should pull the trigger.

You know what's teh best part? Music is actually produced to sound somewhat good from any source. It literally doesn't matter if your headphone isn't perfect.
There are also studies pointing out that there is no correlation between quality and price of headphones, you could by a 1k headphone today and tomorrow find out there's a 100 bucks one that is just as good or better.

My humble opinion though? 300 bucks is around the max you should pay and that's already entering diminishing returns.

youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk
Cheap headphones be like.

Attached: 1530363585336.png (1280x1280, 567K)

Attached: 1530290852488.png (500x560, 128K)

>300 bucks is around the max you should pay
Oh 300 you say? I wounder what headphones you are rocking? Haha yea right you own them HD600 don't ya. You should stop coming here before you are tempted.

Attached: teehee.png (1378x652, 3.43M)

>you own them HD600 don't ya
Guess again.
>You should stop coming here before you are tempted.
lol, i am tempted, i just honestly feel if i ever decide to spend more it will probably be with a set of speakers and some room treatment and isolation. But hey, i might change my mind eventually.

Speakers is the superior choice, no need to change your mind.

>argon user is a speakerbrainlet
And I thought I couldn't lose any more respect for a person.

Attached: 1524179698196.gif (160x160, 704K)

So true bra.

That's not me. Speakers are the super audiophool have you seen the shit speaker boys come up with. Reese's butter cups on cables.

Attached: 0003.jpg (590x431, 169K)

LOL! The absolute state of speakercucks. What a joke.

Tfw you will never shoot Argon user with a Raygun that turns him into his waifu, and then rape him senselessly.

Attached: 1528365103938.png (650x500, 39K)

are pro-ject amps any good?

the prices seem pretty good for a company that usually makes expensive stuff

Attached: dasdahrtjr.png (779x697, 136K)

Does anyone remembers the name of this "DAC" thing that also processes sound to give it more spatial characteristics?
I remember reading about it in here but never found it again, anyone knows what i'm talking about?

>no anime girl feet in OP

shit thread remake

thx monoprice has a soundstage button

yes

it is not a rocket science to manufacture good headphone amps, they should not cost more than $100

spl phonitor, Meier Audio

the sennheiser gsx1000?

Those are good guesses, but i guess it wasnt any of them. If i recall correctly there was a video of people testing it with headphones (HD800 if i'm not mistaken), people would listen to music and actually look up to the ceiling after noticing sounds coming from "above" them.

Cool about the phonitor though, never heard of it, very interesting.

>hd800
vast audio but it's not out yet, there's also a $14k setup that I can't quite remember the name of atm

forgot pic

Attached: Vast-0.jpg (2000x1500, 1.67M)

b-bbuy planars, estats are just a meme guys you'll get shocked

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8vamlz/mr_speakers_aeons_why_are_these_praised/

>click on this link
>static fuzz through my dac from ad isolation
>so much distortion it zaps me through my stax earphones
you guys tricked me into getting zapped

why can't planarbros and staxfrens get along?

Everyone should own atleast one pair from each category

Attached: 1518869920688.gif (487x560, 898K)

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8utjxk/why_do_planar_headphones_trigger_my_tinnitus/

planar headphones are just ripoff estats

>why can't planarbros and staxfrens get along?
because planars are failed electrostats
>Everyone should own atleast one pair from each category
after you try stax you'll realize this is false

That was it! I thought i was a dac but it's actually a motion tracking audio processor, uh, interesting. Thanks, user!

Realizer

Why is Jow Forumsheadphones so far up zeos ass? Every thread they bring him up and praise him. They are also coo coo for schiit. Why?

>budget
$150 but flexible
>location
USA
>source
PC and 2011ish macbook
>type of headphone, open or closed
Over the ear, closed
>comfort level
Comfy is nice, but I'm good as long as it doesn't hurt.
>sound signature
Neutral maybe, I'm not sure. I listen to death and black metal.
>past headphones
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, Hifiman re400 Waterline (broken)

>Realizer
Damn it, here i was thinking user had sound it, this is it, Realiser! Thanks, user.
Also thanks to all the user who tried to answer, most of these are very interesting to read about.

there's another one by a company I forget who (creative? thx?) that is a usb dongle, you're probably thinking of that. it's not out yet either

I don't see why it can't be done with dolby headphone + trackIR.

tfw you use the realizer on your stax

Attached: smythstax.jpg (474x401, 38K)

Why are you so against schiit when they actually make some good gear, along with the terrible stuff.

You aren't cool m8.

Attached: CE37696E-B39B-4ACE-8ABD-66065259FBBA.jpg (2545x3880, 2.27M)

>they actually make some good gear
no

Magni 3 is okay. Space heater. But okay.

>This has gone on too long. Here's the truth from an insider. Jude Mansilla was supplied the Yggdrasil to measure by Schiit directly and he was coached by both Schiit and Audio Precision to measure the Yggdrasil in the best possible light. The in depth articles posted on Head-Fi under Jude's name were not written by him but have been supplied as part of the PR campaign.
it's well known that schiit gives kickbacks, there's good reason to hate schiit

God I hate argon user. Why is he so annoyingly smug all the time?

This is why

Attached: argon_anon.png (601x508, 205K)

hes a teenager and has not developed mentally

I like argon user, he's pretty cute ngl

Attached: 1529324549619.png (1920x1080, 1.18M)

As i understans the reason for headphones with FR beyond 20Hz/20kHz is to avoid distortions inside the heareble portion of the spctrum, is that correct?
What is the name of these distortions that happen near the end of the spectrum?

Magni 3.

should I get an HD600 even though I like my music to go wub wub boom boom whoosh

The 600 isn't completely flat, but it's not suited for plebs who love a ton of bass. You can still enjoy rap etc with them.

you are strongly mistaken and this here hurt my feelings

Get the HD600.
They have bass, midrange and treble, in the right proportions. You'll enjoy them regardless of your taste.
Then you can get yourself some bass canon, treble canon or whatever you fancy, only to quickly realize it's worse to HD600 (like everything else is).