CPU and thermal paste

Aloha, hoping some of you may be able to help me out. A million thank yous in advance

About a month and a half ago my computer temperatures were working perfectly yet my computer shut down out of nowhere and when I tried turning it on again it would not POST and no beeps from the motherboard speaker

I'm wondering if my CPU is still salvageable, just isn't posting due to overheating right off the bat. I had it running on the same thermal paste for 4.5 years that dried out when the PC shut down randomly

My question is would you recommend to reapply thermal paste as Occam's Razor may dictate that's all I need to get my PC up and running again, or is my CPU definitely fried and I need a new one?

Attached: tenor.gif (498x211, 1.09M)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101618
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install gentoo

pls no

>it would not POST and no beeps from the motherboard speaker
could be a ram issue. try the modules one by one.

Already tried, thanks though

Just found out Intel CPUs have Overheat Protection, a procedure where if the temperature exceeds factory levels the processor halts until the next reset cycle. Would explain why it shut down out of nowhere and when launched it looks like it works temporarily before not POSTing

was it overclocked?

Not to my knowledge, no, but the 4 and a half years of thermal paste being dried out more than likely caused it to activate the failsafe

I'm just guessing although it seems logical

in stock settings what you suggested wouldn't happen much. the cpu would throttle itself to a safe temperature.
but let's see the heatsink and and thermal paste first.

I used watercooling (H100i)

I rubbed off 99% of the dry thermal paste so it's got nothing right now. Burning smell lasted like 10 seconds so hopefully my CPU isn't fried

>I used watercooling (H100i)
make sure your pump works.

When my GPU burnt out the logo went from white to pink. Once I changed my GPU it went back to white

When my computer works then looks like it goes into a halting mode the logo turns dark green. I'm positive my cooling works properly although that colour change may be something note worthy

so you burned a gpu also?

This was a few months before the CPU problem, but yes

So is that a yes or

let me get this timeline straight.
you were using your AIO with your GPU, it burned.
then you use the same AIO with your CPU and the pc doesn't post now.
well, I would suggest trying aircooling to see if the cpu is working properly. if it is working I would try AIO again.

What do you do with your computer to burn a gpu and possibly the CPU?

Where de you have it?

op

once i tried running a CPU with the cooler off to see if it would post

well it wouldn't post because the IHS temperature shot up to like 9000 after a few seconds

so yes do make sure your cooler is actually dissipating heat

In my room. GPU burnt out because I didn't dust it in a long while

I'm positive it is, no thermal paste seems to be fucking everything up. Thanks for the heads up too though

The GPU burnt out because of dust accumulation, months prior to CPU debacle

then how is it related to the logo changing colors? there is no correlation between them.

and I very much doubt dust accumulation could kill your gpu. never seen one die like that and I have seen a lot.
again, listen to this anonand make sure of it.

I have no idea, never found out

All my fans spin and when I touch the tube it does feel cool so I'm quite sure my cooling is working as intended

then by all means try it. post the results.

I'll need to get more thermal paste sometime, not today though

If you don't see a thread similar to this one at all then assume I've fixed it with the thermal paste

god speed.

You don't know how much that means to me, thank you

Ever since the day my computer stopped working every single day has been a bad one for me. Here's to hoping Lady Luck throws me a bone

I wish you all the best also, thank you

I'll check on the cooling and thermal paste. If those don't work new CPU it is then

my pleasure my dear user.

buy a new cpu if it's 4.5yrs old

upon reading more. user it's new pc time
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101618

Thanks for the offer although not getting a new one

not only you need a nicely applied thermal paste, you also need to make sure the heat sink is well placed, doesn't wobble etc.
i remember intel shipped some very bad wobbly heatsinks year ago with their i5 and i7 series.
my pc has been laying horizontally with a rock on top of the heatsink for years.

I use water cooling, g

Water cooling is secure, thermal paste must be applied and tested

Never heard about the story, honestly when I build a new PC/switch out parts I'm tempted to go the Ryzen route

bump

I'm the guy from the sqt. The color of the logo changing is a temp thing. It's controlled by the corsair software. Check in the software what white and red are set to.
I have nother to add other than try one stick of ram in the primary slot, and no other devices connected, after you repaste it.

I have tried the latter, checking to see if I can find it on the site now, thanks

Just checked, can't find it on the site

The software? Contact Corsair via their forum. I think they changed the name of the software.

I didn't have any Corsair software on my computer

>checking to see if I can find it on the site now, thanks
>Just checked, can't find it on the site

What are you talking about here?

I had a Corsair AIO similar to yours about 10 years ago. When testing overclocks, if I had issues around booting it would restart and I'd go into the bios and change settings. During this, in the bios, it would show the temps getting really hot, and the logo would change color on the cooler as you described. I just reverted whatever changes I made in the bios. The bios allowed me to have like 10 different settings, so I just switched to another known good.

Go into your bios, set everything to default, and see if that fixes it.

Can't get into BIOS, doesn't POST at all

But it turns on, right? It's for sure not a power supply problem?

Got a new power supply, not the PSU

It does turn on

Sometimes a CPU will develop screwed up thermal sensors where it'll still shut down at a certain point, but fail to trigger fan speed increases / downclocking.

So CPU is beyond saving or is there still a chance? I didn't know this, thanks for letting me know

what psu did you have before you bought the new one (brand/model number) and whats the new one?
also reset the motherboard via cmos battery and jumper (google your mobo)

Tried resetting CMOS, not on the new one but not necessary

Old one: Ultra 750W Bronze Rated
New one: EVGA 650W GQ

I plugged one of the old SATA cables from the old PSU into the new one since it was better which could have fried my hard drive but computer never booted like that so no damage done. Boots now with new PSU still no POST though

>Ultra 750W Bronze
your old psu probably fried your mobo

Yeah probably, found a bent pin when I went to go check after no POST. I tried it again with the old PSU and new mobo to boot and nothing, then tried it with the new PSU and still nothing

New PSU and new mobo doesn't work although hopefully its because no thermal paste on CPU and the CPU prevents itself from launching

stop talking about the thermal paste

the only way your pc wouldn't post with bad thermal paste is if it seeped under the cpu pins.
the processor wont get that hot that quick that it'd thermal throttle immediately upon launch

you have DEAD parts, most likely a dead cpu if you've replaced the mobo
tldr everything's fucked

>Yeah probably, found a bent pin
>you have DEAD parts, most likely a dead cpu if you've replaced the mobo
>tldr everything's fucked

Sounds like it.

Damn really was hoping that wasn't it

You can try the thermal paste, but with the new information, sounds like your shit's fucked.

Don't feel bad. I lost a 3K build in a 3rd world country due to frequent power outages and shitty electricity in general.

ok 30 yr old boomer

Attached: 1530424348166.png (636x498, 307K)

Heh. Just finished high school actually though

C'est la vie

bump