/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: void linux.jpg (540x540, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

garyshood.com/root/
itsfoss.com/fix-right-click-touchpad-ubuntu/
youtube.com/watch?v=0rL-0LAy04E
rms.sexy
fosspost.org/reviews/distributions/linuxmint-19-revie
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Arch Linux!

Second for Arch Linux!

Meanwhile in Microsoft land I can't even say "No" to setting a pin anymore.

Attached: IMG_20180702_125546.jpg (3200x2400, 1.52M)

Arch is just a stepping stone.

i use the open addon in firefox to download videos with youtube-dl (urxvt -e youtube-dl) but it opens a new session every time, what command could make it open in a new urxvt tab or just use an existing session?

if urxvt doesn't have an option to just open a new tab in a currently running session then you cannot do it. Other terminal emulators can do this, but I guess you use urxvt for a reason.

what is the most stable distro without systemd?

gentoo

meme answer or real answer?

Got a couple of old computers from the school I work at, whats the most lightweight distro to install on them?

Towards?

Devuan.

Debian.

Arch

Gentoo has stable and unstable packages too, just like Debian, ubuntu, suse or any binary distro.
Unstable packages are "masked". As long as you don't unmask things you get a rolling, but "considered stable" distro.

Note: gentoo takes masking quite seriously sometimes. It's not unusual that Debian stable has a newer gcc than gentoo.

Trying to mess around with Mint on Hyper V and there is a lot of input lag. Is Hyper V missing something that other free VMs have?

hey guys still have trouble picking a distro. I have some experience programming in c and using bash through the terminal... even started making my own shell for a school project at some point. I was thinking arch or debian. what do you guys think?

Debian is always a good choice.
Expect some trouble if you have very new, recent hardware with requires the latest kernel/latest proprietary drivers thou.

thank you.

how do I fix my mouse speed/sensitivity in kubuntu 17.10?

what distro and de to run on less than 200mb of ram?

How stable is Debian unstable? I want to use Debian but don't want to be stuck with old packages.

Which distro looks and feels like Mac OSX and is minimalist?

I want to switch over from Mac OSX to Linux but I can't seem to find a good alternative.

elementary OS

Elementary?

He said lightweight.

Never heard of this one before. Is it lightweight? What are the pros and cons. I normally only hear: "Gentoo, Debian, Arch and Ubuntu"

Linux Mint

IF I READ """LIGHTWEIGHT""" ONE MORE TIME
I DARE YOU, I DOUBLE DARE YOU FUCKING MEMES

.... and then there is this faggot.

lightweighted

kek

Attached: 15303911000810.jpg (1280x1504, 207K)

>minimal

>Is it lightweight?
Not particularly, but it is designed to mimic Mac OS.

Pros are that it's good for newcomers from the mac space, and its a very beautiful distro.

Gentoo and Arch are a meme. Debian is stable, but has older packages.

elementary is based on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS but elementary will be updated to 18.04 soon(tm) when Juno (version 5) is released. There's a quirk that you have to install a package to be able to add PPAs to apt, but thats a very simple fix.

As for lightweight, its based on GNOME iirc, so its a hit and miss when it comes to performance, but since you are on a mac, I'm sure it will be fine.

How concerned should I be about SELinux on Fedora?

AAAAAAAAAAAH

Attached: 1526853570047.png (500x500, 170K)

What's a legitimate reason to install Fedora?

>thin wrapper

sane systemd setup
pretty good selinux support
up-to-date software without autism
just works

How do you get thumbnails for video files in Ubuntu? The old ffmpegthumbnailer method doesn’t fucking working anymore.

How is it that arandr can output 1080p on my second monitor but xfce4-display-settings breaks it and makes the screen smear?

>garyshood.com/root/
Is this satire or are there poeple out there who unironically run as root?

>

Where can I get void juice

Just got a thinkpad and ready to take my first dive into linux, what distro should I choose?

>sane NSA backdoor setup
>pretty good NSA backdoor support
>out-of-date software
>bloated
lol

Either Arch or Debian.

If you're going to be all stupid, at least be entertaining or funny.
>the lol at the end almost saved this one.

What's the best distro for a retarded newfaggot that will work on a 8 years old laptop OOTB?

Debian.

xubuntu

Do any of you peeps use a Chromebook with Linux on it? I'm looking for a cheapo laptop that I can use to learn programming on and cheap Chromebooks usually have better build quality and screen than cheap Windows laptops.

And no, don't tell me to get a used Thinkpad, I have an X230 and it has the worst screen I've ever seen on any device.

Just change the screen.

It's not worth the hassle, and I want a 15 inch laptop

Gentoo. Seriously

>Touchpad right click doesn't work
>Attach mouse, right click works.
Is it something in my settings? This is touchpad menu in Ubuntu/gnome settings menu.

Attached: 1506589823517.png (1022x998, 88K)

I just used 'Test your settings' thing and it does register right click from touchpad under these settings.

Weird.

itsfoss.com/fix-right-click-touchpad-ubuntu/ fix for touchpad not working in ubuntu 18.04

just tested and it fixed my issue thanks

install canoe

Hmm.

A second problem.

After doing this.. holding fingers at bottom of touchpad so a website would scroll down doesn't work.

I'll look into that.

Like 2 finger scroll? I thought that was either anywhere on the pad or on the edges only

Is there a way to mkdir in two different existing directories at once?

Why does my service fail at start, but when I start it manually (systemctl start myservice) it works just fine? I don't have any experience with systemd

Attached: 1342745920525.png (645x773, 39K)

mkdir {existing1,existing2}/new

>Finland's only relevant offspring
>doesn't even speak Finnish

youtube.com/watch?v=0rL-0LAy04E

Attached: laugh2.png (500x440, 31K)

help i keep getting the same error in linux mint mate
basically sound doesn't exist and I'm not going to go into it because if you don't experience it first hand all you'll ask is if anything is muted and are headphones plugged in. It's not that simple.
My "fix" has been restarting lightdm but now this has failed me I'm considering a new OS.
What's a good alternative?

who?

Is linux mint still an insecure and broken piece of frankenstein shit like it used to be?

Start fixing problems instead of switching distros.
>Mint
Ignore what I said and install Ubuntu.

When will the acpi bug be resolved. I think it has to do with the kernel .

Attached: Papa.gif (280x288, 8K)

fuck you canonical
install debian

First, does systemd try to start it and fail or does it not try to start it? Check logs immediately after boot to confirm. If your service was not tried, you probably forgot to enable it. `systemctl enable $service`

If it was tried and failed, likely a required dependency is not up yet.

Have you listed dependencies correctly in the unit file?

Put
Requires: multi-user.target
After: multi-user.target

in your unit file to start your service after all other system services. You don't and shouldn't need to wait for the whole system to be up, but that is the easy way to confirm it's a dependency problem.

Which kernel?

The kernel in linux, whatever it's called .

they don't speak swedish all that well either which is linus mother tongue, it's almost like foreigners offspring tend to be more fluent in the language of their adopted country

The Linux kernels name is GNU. Hence "GNU/Linux".

>Start fixing problems instead of switching distros.
I did fix it, but it keeps happening.

Attached: 1530567397028.jpg (1280x1504, 927K)

The Linux kernel, or as I've recently taken to calling it: Linux, the kernel.

Normally an operating system is developed as a single unified project, and the developers choose a name for the system as a whole. The kernel usually does not have a name of its own—instead, people say “the kernel of such-and-such” or “the such-and-such kernel”.

Because those two constructions are used synonymously, the expression “the Linux kernel” can easily be misunderstood as meaning “the kernel of Linux” and implying that Linux must be more than a kernel. You can avoid the possibility of this misunderstanding by saying or writing “the kernel, Linux” or “Linux, the kernel.”

Then you didn't fix it.

Delicious.

Attached: 1520503749439.jpg (1280x960, 153K)

where do you people get those rare stallmans?

meeting him in person

lurk moar

Thanks, something happened there. I put mysql as a dependency but it turns out this system has mariadb instead so I'm guessing that's the problem

Stop lowercase posting.

Attached: 1525942785137.jpg (600x800, 98K)

rms.sexy

Install Source Mage GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1530568334710.png (602x500, 27K)

Install GNU GuixSD GNU/GNU Linux-Libre

Attached: 1528922844945.png (602x500, 25K)

doesn't source mage use linux libre, too?

So, now my machine is running calculate, and just found that my hardware supports kvm now, so i installed qemu and virt-manager, but i never used this.
I been researching but not finding a way to boot from iso with the gui.
I know i should use the cli but nevermind.
Any suggestion?

Source Mage is like Gentoo; it uses what you tell it to use.

So like any other distro.

lolno

Not like winblows

Look at this fosspost.org/reviews/distributions/linuxmint-19-revie
>mint hat now windows like system restore points "timeshift"

I need a distro which is:
1) Not a project that is 100% developed and supported "entirely by volunteers"
2) Less bloat
3) No systemd
4) Suggests flavors of different DEs
5) Not GNU

That's -void, -devuan, -guix, -alpine.