Who the fuck thought doing it like on the right was/is a good idea...

Who the fuck thought doing it like on the right was/is a good idea? You see it mostly on laptops and keys can be remapped easy enough, but still, its absolutely inexcusable.

Attached: Ctrl-Key-Excel-Keyboard-Shortcuts-Comparison.png (478x287, 103K)

you can swap it in the bios user

I started palming control and I never looked back

It's a no-win.
Putting Fn on the left displaces all the modifiers, but they're still in the correct order.
Putting Fn between Ctrl and Super keeps Ctrl in the right place, but then you have an unexpected Fn key between Ctrl and Super.

The correct option, of course, is to simply put Fn on the right side (replacing right super) and/or put Ctrl where it used to be (caps lock).

The left is fucking annoying. It's supposed to be from left to right: (fn on laptops), control, alt, win, space, win, alt, control

I have no problem adjusting to it.

>and keys can be remapped easy enough

Or they could just get rid of the fn key altogether and use control instead, since control+f1-12 keys is usually program-specific and hardly ever actually used, and I think most can be done with other commands anyways.

You'll get used to it after a week. I was autistic about it too, don't worry user.

but that's just fucking wrong. I have never seen the super key next to the spacebar on any keyboard ever. Old ass keyboards like pic related just had a space between control and alt, since the super key wasn't needed in text-based operating systems. That space is where the super key went

Attached: IBM_Model_M.png (1350x565, 973K)

I guess apple keyboards do, but its still a stupid design choice

>text based operating systems
It's currentyear and people use decent operating systems now where the super key is useful in shortcuts. It's the superior and least confusing order for keys. With the more important modifiers closer to the spacebar, and the least important ones the furthest away.

Wow you really went full sperge there. I never said it wasn't need now, or that text based operating systems are superior. I was saying it never used to be needed, but when it started coming into play like 25 years ago, they just put it between the control and alt keys. They didn't put it beside the spacebar because people were already so used to alt being there. Even the first macs had a similar layout, they just used their apple version basically instead of alt. Then they added the alt key like windows added the windows key

This. I have used everything from Freebsd to AROS, and I have used the function key maybe three times in my entire life. You don't need anything more than three modifier keys

>Or they could just get rid of the fn key altogether and use control instead
Fuck no, that would be far worse than any current solution.

How? The only command that does anything in chrome/firefox/edge is ctrl+f4, which closes your current tab, but ctrl+w does the same thing. I've also occasionally seen ctrl+f6 used in some programs, but all it does is close the window behind the current one, which I don't think I've ever needed or wanted to do.

Its just redundant

Just because YOU don't use programs that use those shortcuts doesn't mean nothing does.
Off the top of my head, Ctrl-Alt-F_ switches between TTYs on a *nix system.
They'd be breaking existing key combos when there's no reason to do so.

What if you took the left half of the caps lock key and made it a function key instead? I'd guess most people hit Caps Lock by moving their pinky over to it, so they are mostly hitting the right side anyway, and it moves the fn key closer to the actual function buttons.

I mean if it's too complicated, switch it in the BIOS, or get a MacBook Pro

you get used to it very quickly and learn to adjust when using a desktop keyboard
you're just retarded desu

> t. emacs user

>can be confusing

Attached: amerigrug.png (645x729, 147K)

The worst offenders are when the function keys can only be used with the FN key, and can't be swapped in bios or key toggle.

I used to swap it but ended up getting used to it. You just need to not have brain damage, it's easy to adapt.

I could live with that

but this, someone needs to be publicly executed for this crime.

Attached: delete.png (1920x1080, 954K)

LMAO!

fukken this

god damn lazy designers integrating all buttons to the keyboard, the fucking power button HAS TO BE DIFFERENT, IT'S TOO IMPORTANT

>\ or other key in between left shift and z
>Left shift is small because of it
Fucking why

>to obtain a special dialing wand, press 1

Attached: BHcIiEdCMAAEzld.jpg (600x450, 26K)

kek, i had a cheap ass genius keyboard that did similar

Attached: 47_00003AD5.jpg (1171x609, 98K)

not a problem on ANSI layout :^)

ANSI is truly the best.

>tfw no layout with both big left shift and return