Any anons try one of these? It's a fanless heatsink...

Any anons try one of these? It's a fanless heatsink. I'm trying to build an extremely quiet computer using a passively cooled GT1030 and one of these. One Noctua fan for outtake.

How are the temps on i3-i7 series? I have a 3.6GHz locked i5.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x282, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d4R-EsiyRk0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Get an nh-d15s (single fan) and a motherboard with fan stopping, the d15 will cool the CPU excellent with the fan off even at moderate loads and the fan will be a backup in case of sustained or high ambient temps.

I'll take a look into that thanks

Even better idea, just get the full D15 with both fans and have them run at the lowest PWM duty cycle. You won't hear a thing either way.

You've probably got a 65w chip, it should run relatively cool. If you get lucky you can do a pretty substantial voltage offset drop and shave a few degrees off. Every MFG does their TDP differently so it's hard to say how well that thing will perform, especially given variables like your case/fan setup and ambient temps. If you want something really quiet look into a truly excessive tower cooler with specs way beyond your CPU and run really low fan speeds. Remove all fan filters to maximize airflow.

>fan stopping
Nigga you what? That's called a fan curve and all but the most budget constricted motherboards should support configuring your own.

How is that a better idea? Complete silence is far quieter than 2 fans quietly spinning.

and enjoy the noise from fan suddenly starting to run at full speed. fan based cooling should never be completely stopped.

hope you enjoy literally anything ruining your complete silence

I record vocals and mix/master music in the same room as my computer. So silence is a must.

put the computer inside a closet

I cool my i7 2600k (95W TDP) with the predecessor (Nofan CR95) and didn't have any problems so far. Would recommend.

And have shitty temperatures and tons of usb extension cables dangling out of it? Fuck off.

This

I`m not sure why GPU manufacturers go with the same bullshit on having the fans off by default and then suddenly ramping them up.

>R3 2400g
>massively overkill X470 board to ensure no coil whine or audio interface interference
>no dGPU
>NH-U12S
>replace fans with Sterrox NF-A12x25
>turn fans to 30% at all temperatures
>put it inside a Fractal R6 or BeQuiet case
>fanless PSU

alt
>R3 2400g, mITX B350, fanless PSU
>use the PCI slot for a soundcard in case there's interference from the board (I have the ASRock Fatal1ty B350m, and whenever my R9 Nano hits a certain load the motherboard's 3.5 starts hissing)
>Streacom DB4

congratulations, you have a silent PC that outperforms the 1030 and most i5s.

get a laptop then fag

Laptops under heavy loads create more sound than a silent desktop.

cont.
and the noise comes from between the screen and the user

absolute dogshit, if you see a thinkpad user point and laugh

Attached: 1511293848551.png (600x497, 8K)

Had a docked x220 for a little and it was nice but the noise from the fans was too much.

Get a thrrmalright hr-02 macho, you can potentially run it passively or with one fan with very low fan profile. Also I r recommend be quiet 140 mm fans, they're expensive but worth it if your goal is quiet computer. Also gt 1030 sucks ass but I guess depend what duo you want you do with it.

>2400G
>massively overkill X470 board
normally I'd say you are fucking insane to not wait for B450 but considering the use case that custom TDP feature in the x470 boards would come in handy and could probably auto underclock the 2200/2400G enough for passive cooling

Have you tested it with no fan? I don't see reviews where people have tried this. GT1030 is ass but I wanted something cheap that could run games on medium and could handle Gimp. It's not that bad actually. Been able to get good performance with ps2 emulators.

>1030
Get a Ryzen APU, it'll blow that away.

The Ryzen G series will do just fine with B350 boards, I'm saying go for an absurdly overkill X470 just for the higher quality audio interface/power isolation. I've encountered a lot of lower-end motherboards that don't isolate the different lines properly, which leads to buzzing or hissing on audio lines, which is obviously not what OP wants (as they say they work on audio). With a dedicated soundcard any board would work, though.

>you are now afflicted with coil whine

Why don't you use a couple of 800rpm fans to keep airflow moving?

this

OP already mentioned he'll have an exhaust fan.
Which, being right next to the exterior, will be far more audible than a CPU fan running at the same rpm.

And a very low rpm fan will be completely inaudible, just because it's moving doesn't mean you can hear it.

To add to this, my computer has 3 800rpm fans and with the PSU fan I can't hear it running at all.

Only under heavy load when my GPU fans ramp up is why I can start to notice any noise.

800RPM fans don't make enough noise to affect anything

>if you see a thinkpad user point and laugh

My T460p is very silent even under maximum load.
And the sound it does make is less annoying than a room fan.

>PSU fan

This is why the whole concept of a "passive" PC is silly.
What, you also going to use a passively cooled PSU?

Yes, why not?

housefires

Plenty of PSUs work just fine without active cooling

Only if you have enough airflow from the case.

Nope...

I kinda forgot about this thread, just to follow up on my post:

The only reason to go truly fanless is for bragging rights and for (You)'s in guts threads. If silence is what you seek, then fan noise won't be your limiting factor. Pair a big heatsink with a non-housefire CPU, stick plenty 140mm fans around, run them all at low RPM, and you have effectively eliminated cooling as a source of noise.
GPU can either be underclocked/undervolted and fan curve adjusted accordingly, or you can mount a 3rd party cooler like the Arctic Accelero IV or the Raijintek Morpheus II among the most popular.
Any decent PSU these days will come with a silent fan and some form of fanless mode. Buy one with overkill wattage rating for your system and be done with it.
HDDs will become the loudest components at this point, even the 5400rpm ones. Since they cannot really be silenced and you say you're producing music, just toss them completely and go with SSDs.
That leaves you with coil whine and here you need to carefuly read reviews and pick boards that have the least amount of complaints. Also it's often just hit and miss.

For reference and because I wanna show off, here are some pics of my silence focused build.

Attached: silent2.png (2085x1160, 3.51M)

If you want silent go for an immersed build.

If you want to go silent you have a central machine room.

The Compulab Airtop is the king of Passively cooled PC's... poor fags need not apply. i wanted this shit for years but the version one didnt have nvme.... the second version is on my shpping list....and look here is linus with a an actually good video

youtube.com/watch?v=d4R-EsiyRk0

>Vega 11
>Outperforming the GT1030
Yeahh let's see that with DDR4 2133

>If you want silent go for an immersed build.
thisbut PSUs arent immersed right?
some lowend use heatsinks as aquarium walls.
and hot builds still need active circulation of oil thru a radiator, and the radiator sometimes use fans... but i guess its easier to have this radiator and pump outside window, in another room etc, hosing the oil isn't an issue at all, unlike having extension for everithing..
but honestly, why not do just that? usb attached sound card, to not add any analog attenuation, and the rest doesnt matter, extend everything from another room, hole in the wall, sound proof door, which you probably already have...

Submerge your entire PC in oil. There's no better solution if you want low noise.

Submerge it in Novec 7000 ( boils at 34C )

Because when it's not under heavy use, the fan won't run. When it does run its just like what you said, its a fan curve. It won't go to 100% asap. It'll slowly speed itself up till the temp starts to lower.

I don't even hear my GPU at all.

Big slow fans can't be heard, big slow fans with sound absorbing material can't be recorded. If you need the computer to be silent use the length of the cables to isolate what little sound is made from your recording devise. Don't go for a fanless computer it will not work well enough.
Air flows around material exceptionally well, sound doesn't.

Use the largest air cooled heatsink you can't buy. A NH-D15 is a good example. It takes a lot of energy to heat the sink up, and the temperature difference between materials speeds the transfer of energy. That is a CPU cooler that's 70C will dissipate more energy than a cooler that's just 30C. Your CPU should be fine well into the 80C range, although I doubt you could hit that with a D15 and even only 1 fan on a 3.6GHz i5.

Also buy Kryonaut paste and replace the thermal pads with Fujipoly XR-M pads

No need to use fancy thermal paste. It's never going to make or break a non OC cpu.

I disagree, a fanless silent PC is gold and it's really nice but it's also not that easy.

I had a fanless AM1 Athlon system for a while. It had a 25W TDP APU so it was limited but easy to cool with a big passive block. I used a overpowered PSU with ECO mode that never started the fan and two SSDs. It was totally quiet. Used this as a home server for 4-5 years. I eventually replaced it because of it's various limits.

A silent PC really is very cool. But it's .. hard and limiting. You can't have a powerful desktop with a 95W TDP CPU (could do it with a 65w or less, though) and you can't have a decent GPU either and you can't have HDDs (just one HDD makes fanless pointless).

if you want to cut out noise of your PC don't waste money on soundproofing and expensive heatsyncs just drill a hole in your wall. and run PC in another room.

if you want a low power thing thats fanless just to stream to or some thing buy some thing already built.

custom building a silent pc is retarded drill a hole.

Oh and also delid the soldered CPU and go bare die if need be.

Attached: SolderDelid.jpg (3225x755, 403K)

clean the grills of the heatsink occasionally and the fans will run at the lowest rpm most of the time. laptop fans are still loud though.

Having said that the steps needed for getting the heatsink out of a thinkpad is atrocious.

Attached: fan_assembly.png (1000x342, 106K)

Get a fanless laptop, faggot

>The only reason to go truly fanless is for bragging rights and for (You)'s in guts threads. If silence is what you seek, then fan noise won't be your limiting factor. Pair a big heatsink with a non-housefire CPU, stick plenty 140mm fans around, run them all at low RPM, and you have effectively eliminated cooling as a source of noise.

I don't know if your definition of silent is different of if something is wrong on my end, but I literally got your case and cpu cooler and my PC is loud as fuck imo.
My GPU fan is turned of most of the time and my CPU sits at 30°C while the fans run at the lowest speed.

Attached: 1500478233711.jpg (275x361, 21K)

this is the only real answer in this entire fucking thread.

Attached: 5306b47438.jpg (500x500, 32K)

Forget it, I'm a fucking retard.
It was the fucking PSU, I never once considered it as the cause of the noise.

God damn I feel like an idiot now.

speedfan +fans on shared pwm header like Arctic Cooling F series -> silent computer @idle and under low load like browsing.

I got a SATA 1 To 10 Way PWM Splitter which does that job quite well

This is for a completely passive build:

>GT1030
Isn't that shit 30W?
I cooled 75W card passively without resorting to bullshit heatsinks - just stuck a medium sized cpu cooler on it (rated 95W TDP) and it werks.
You should have 0 problem cooling 30W by just using stock heatsink and disabling fan. Or you could make it even easier and buy the version without a fan at all.

CPU is gonna be much more of a problem. Just don't pick anything high TDP or notorious for stupid temperatures, delid if intel, use good thermal paste, pop a megahalems on it (or that biggest noctua heatsink) and it should cool passively, maybe thermal throttle a little bit but nothing to worry about.

You may also want to research undervolting if you want to avoid throttling altogether.

Important: make sure you got good airflow in the room or it's all for naught if the heat just accumulates inside the case. This is #1 most important thing when building a passive computer.