Buy 2015 thinkpad carbon x1 for $125

>buy 2015 thinkpad carbon x1 for $125
>dude on Craigslist told me there was nothing wrong with the machine
>discovered when I got home that would not power on/charge
>took it apart and inspected the mobo
>sand on everything that had adhesive (that wasn't the issue)
>none of the components appeared to have liquid damage
>took a look at the reset button on the mobo
>the dude raped that shit so hard that it gets jammed when you press it down, wiggling the button out fixed the system
>power on
>windows boots up
>password protected

Should I crack the password to see if there is anything valuable on the machine, or should I respect his privacy and install a Linux distro on it?

Attached: download (2).jpg (170x296, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/HZmAeyNM-TM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hakx it

Fuck him up and post anything interesting here.

Fuck that guy, he tried to fuck you over with a messed up laptop. Steal his nudes or whatever and post them somewhere.

If he sold it to you knowing it wouldn't turn on and that it was password-protected, he deserves it.

Why would you not test it first?

I'm at work and didn't bring the system with me, so keep bumping this post for like 8 or so hours and I'll keep you guys updated

Because I already wasted some of his time with a miscommunication of where to meet him, we were outside, the laptop had no charge, and I was confident in my repair capabilities if he did try to fuck me over

Bumb

Is it a:
BIOS lock?
HDD lock (using bios)?
Windows bitlocker lock?
LUKS lock?
Veracrypt lock?
Etc
Tell us user

I wanna say something mean about OP but I won't

give it back Tyrell

What if the cpu chipped? What are you gonna do then?

It boots up to the user login screen, so it's probably not any of those

?

sorry for making you come to meet me so I can give you money. No, I don't need to test it, I've inconvenienced you enough by buying it.

If the guy acted like you were wasting his time and you acted like you were wasting his time then you got played. He knew he didn't want you testing it.

I didn't get played though, I knew what I was doing and fixed the machine. 125 is dead cheap for a carbon, even for parts

I mean some kinda fatal MB damage.

Use konboot on it to get in, then scan the hard drive with photorec to get anything you can to fuck his life up

Hmm, I don't think anything is damaged. I also said it booted windows, so if there was hardware damage, it would have said it at the bios level unless the hardware fails while windows is running

just boot ubuntu or some shit and look at the hdd

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll probably just use the sticky keys exploit unless the drive is encrypted. Is konboot free? I looked at it a while back

Yeah I'm gonna do that in conjunction with the sticky keys exploit

There are some versions that are, I'm sure theres a free download for it floating around somewhere. Installs easily with unetbootin or rufus

lol if it's windows password protected, just boot into live cd if you want to look at the files in there but if you don't care about that shit just do clean reinstall.

Windows should have FDE enabled by default in the next release.
All modern PCs have a TPM and their bitlocker bullshit will piss off people trying to do anything advanced with their computer which is exactly what they want.

youtu.be/HZmAeyNM-TM
do this pajeet shit and steal his files

Lmao dude just boot up a live linux USB and start grinding the fuck out

There should be a working version on a copy of Hirens.

I will once I get off work reeeeeee
I'll watch that in a bit

use chntpw to remove password and show us what you got

Is it win 10? If not then use hirens bootcd to get rid of the password and start having fun.

/thread/

Sounds like you bought stolen property, OP. If you manage to crack the password and steal the personal data, it won't be the seller's.

Yeah you have a point. It could be either stolen or actually be the owner's because the system was broken when I received it, and maybe he saw no value in it? We shall see

Yeah I'll boot up kali once I get home

>hirens bootcd
Which of the hundred programs on it is useful for that?

There are like 4 different password reset tools, built into Hiren's. Unfortunately, like user mentioned, I don't think Hiren's is compatible with Windows 10. Active@ also has some descent password reset/clearing tools available.