Heys guys I require some assistance. Im building a retro PC...

Heys guys I require some assistance. Im building a retro PC. I already have a P2 and 250 MB of ram and some vram I took from a dead pc in a lab i worked in. Im also probably getting another broken computer from someone I know so i'll just scrap the case/monitor/keyboard from there. I know i'll need a graphics card and sound card and motherboard. Since Im using a pentium I would like fro those parts to also be from 1997-98 time period. Any good parts that you would recommend. Maybe a 3Dfx for the video card but I'd like some help picking a sound card.

Also I have a spare hard drive with a sata connection, but I dont know if sata will work on a pc that old. If not what should I look for in an older hard drive?

Attached: retro.jpg (800x451, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/sound-blaster-16-trials-and-tribulations.html
redhill.net.au/ig.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Sound Blaster 16 ISA would be your best bet, but depends on what chipset it uses. You'll really want the i440BX though, as the VIA chipsets have an serious bug with some Sound Blaster cards.

GPU wise, you could choose between a Voodoo 3, a Geforce 2 GTS or go with a Geforce 3.

How come you have no optical drives though? I am 100% sure working without one would be hell with 9x, unless you have a copy of the WIN98 directory from the Windows 98 CD-ROM. (in other words the whole disc.)

- Voodoo3 is too new, for a period-correct 1997-8 PC you'd be using a Voodoo2.

- Finding a proper SB16 is a bit of a chore these days - after around 1995 they started using chips with emulated FM synthesis on the budget models instead of true OPL3's. So you won't get the accurate auiophool-quality FM unless you look around for a card that uses either real OPL3 chip or a CT-1747 that has a true OPL3 integrated in it.

There's a lot of sellers on ebay trying to push cheap Vibra16 cards with fake FM to people who don't know better (it's still a SB16), while the good stuff is really overpriced. If you havent fallen asleep by now and are interested in the nitty gritty of old soundblasers check this link:

nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2012/07/sound-blaster-16-trials-and-tribulations.html

- For SATA i think you can get a PCI controller card i think. As for actual HDDs all of them are ancient by now, so nothing you get will be fully reliable. I have a ~2005 Hitachi Deskstar ATA disk here that still runs with no problems, if that's of any help.

i can barely remember back that far, try the red hill guide.
redhill.net.au/ig.html

I use a Matrix AGP, two 3DFX Voodoo 2s in SLI with a 40mm fan bracket and copper heatsinks along with a Aureal Vortex 2 sound card.

>SATA
>1998
>LOL No
>It's gonna be that shitty IDE/PATA connector, or if you're lucky (and you won't annon) a god tier SCSI connection

First, period correctness is pure autism. You're just limiting your options once you have the computer built.
Second, if you go with pure autism, Riva TNT or ATi Rage 128 plus two Voodoo 2's in SLI.
Third, for the sound card(s) go with a AWE64 and a Yamaha OPL3-SA.

Additional autism, you might as well use a PATA-SATA bridge with the internal PATA controller and hook up a SSD.
But if period corestress autism persists, find a Adaptec SCSI controller from the time and the highest capacity 10k drive to accompany it. God forbid, don't go with anything that wasn't available turning your period corecress era, just plug in several disks because it's much more fun according to you to have several small disks than one proper big one (because period correct autism).

Attached: 0008.png (200x180, 7K)

hijacking...

anyone know why windows would always ask you for the install cd when installing drivers for shit? wtf was it looking for?

Attached: paradyne11.jpg (587x323, 26K)

I mean even when installing things that had their own 3rd party drivers.

There are support files that are system specific and owned by MS that drivers can't ship with and Windows does not install by default to save disk space.

Copy Win98 folder from the CD to hard drive.

hm well doesn't help me now cuz I was 8 yrs old and didn't have access to the cd.

why does this image look shooped to me?

It's not though, just slightly longer exposure

You can find one on WinWorldPC if you need. They have most of the drives.

>Rage 128
Hell no. Anything else is fine but Jesus Christ Allmighty no. Riva TNT however is fine. Or a Geforce 2 GTS.

You'd be able to find a 1994 SB16. At least I have one from my old 486. I think the CT-2770 will do great as well.

>find Pentium 2 PC in perfect condition for 20$
>realize most of my old games still work on Windows 10 or Dosbox
>on the other hand I kinda want to play gaems and blast demoscene prods on original hardware
>keep pondering for an hour and eventually go back to website to buy it
>sold

Attached: 1527974576347.jpg (1000x666, 42K)

Not on eBay though, i was looking for one for my Socket7 PC and everything was expensive. In the end i found a Vibra16S at a bargain price. Yes it's a vibra, but it's the first revision where they still used real OPL3s.

>Hell no. Anything else is fine but Jesus Christ Allmighty no. Riva TNT however is fine. Or a Geforce 2 GTS.
You must have overlooked the part where OP said "period correct" and missing all the satire in the post.

Early Vibras with a physical OPL3 chip on them are *okay*, not a good noise ratio though.
If you're on a budget, you shouldn't go period correct though if you want a decent result.

>Hell no. Anything else is fine but Jesus Christ Allmighty no.
Rage 128 had great DOS compatibility

And poor Glide support.

Okay, maybe not a GF2 GTS. But a 256 SDR will be good.

Voodoo3 and YMF719. Thank me later.

there were some p*ntium 2 ibm pcs for like 18 bucks free shipping