Why don't Americans use WhatsApp?

Why don't Americans use WhatsApp?

Attached: WhatsApp.png (2000x550, 68K)

unlimited sms

I guess that’s why europeans don’t use it either.

I don't want any Facebook spyware installed on my phone.

>Get coaxed by family and friends into getting whatsapp
>Integrates all over the phone, no opt-out
>Exfiltrates all my contacts, info, n°, no opt-out
>Day after my subscription my inbox spam explodes with 45 daily emails from 4 different cancer ad corporations
But I get to receive shitty invites and memes, cool

Attached: 1477336045915.jpg (500x500, 54K)

Between free/unlimited SMS, Facebook messenger, and Snapchat, there's little reason to use WhatsApp. It solves no problems that Americans have in messaging people.

It's not popular everywhere in Europe, but in the Euro countries that use it the most, text messages are expensive.

Nigga, everyone in The Netherlands uses WhatsApp.

my parents use it to send images to each other since you often have to pay to send those via SMS.

I don't use it since my friends are too poor for SMS and use facebook messenger.

(((zuckerberg)))

because ifags are everywhere

everyone in germany uses this shit and it makes me throw up.
I try to convince people to use signal or at least telegram (telegram has a good call function and a good linux desktop client, also great sticker and gif implementation) but they are all like "lol are you a conspiracy theorist or something? everyone who doesnt use instagram, facebook and whatsapp is a creep. lol based. oh what do you say? they are all owned by a jew? I dont wanna be an antisemite!! now I will use these apps even more!! thanks jews!! jews are the chosen people remember six billion!!"

Suggest them Jabber

this
in order to get normalfags to do anything you have to convince them that everyone else is using it (even if they're not) and provide a shitty flat-design-inspired short video to convey the benefits of using it in a way that they understand

Everyone in every single developed european country (note for americans: europe doesn't mean just UK) uses whatsapp.
SMS as a service for texting friends is long time dead, but it's still useful in certain situations, like to receive a security token from the bank or a registration code

For most because nobody used it in the first place. There was nothing for it to replace

For others it's because the crypto is extremely questionable and therefore bad

What does it do that my phone doesn't already?

Run your messages through Facebook servers

/thread

did before facebook bought them, now use line for overseas friends, sms, discord

It's the most used messenger service in Germany.

iMessage is more convenient

In WeChat a China thing?

WE

EU has unlimited SMS in every country basically. IMs are just infinitely superior to SMS/MMS in every aspect which is why they're used. SMS is insanely limited and outdated it's almost exclusively used for legacy shit.
As for why people have BOTH WhatsApp AND Facebook, AND sometimes a 3rd messenger like Signal, Telegram, Viber or Wire is because "I have friends that use this, not this". IMs are used to contact close friends, someone you'd contact through SMS/Calls, while FB Messenger is usually used for a wider group of people you'd sometimes ignore.

Run your SMS through NSA servers

racism website

but if everyone has sms but not everybody has whatever pajeet flavor of the week IM service you're talking about, then why not just use SMS?

Because it's shit, can't you read? Why the fuck would anyone use SMS for communication anymore?

Because they think SMS is still a thing. Finnish Nokia made the first mobile phones that supported SMS. Pretty much nobody in Finland sends SMS anymore, unless it's like this user says . Some countries just can't move forward.

because it werkz and doesn't require an internet connection

That's what unlimited 4G data plans are for. Why would you not have an internet connection?

ever been into a place with thick walls?
ever been deep underground?
are europeans this retarded?

in*

SMS can easily be intercepted and then there are SIM swap attacks. Even WhatsApp, while fetching other data, at least uses end-to-end encryption.

Because such plans are more expensive in North America. Why pay more for sending text messages?

Unless the underground place is something you dug up personally, it's probably going to have an antenna that gives your phone service even underground. It also might have a wifi.

America had texting culture way before the rest of the world (idk my bff jill) because of heavily marketed unlimited sms - and everyone you wanted to text had a phone number already - there was no reason to use whatsapp in America.

As technology got better many of the WhatsApp features got rolled into on device SMS (iMessage), or they were used because they were cross platform and had similar user penetration (desktop/smartphone, i.e. Facebook Messenger)

>relying on a proprietary third-party service instead of a cellular standard (albeit insecure) for communication
>moving forward
It's a digression if anything, you consumerist imbecile.

oh yeah, I forgot you european fags countries are so tiny you have full coverage
in the us here we have big, beautiful plains with a weak data signal that can only transfer SMS and voice calls

>Why pay more for sending text messages?
No carrier sells a monthly smartphone plan that doesn't include unlimited text messages.

They are dumb

Sucks to be you, I guess. Also my country is full of forests and lakes and is not densely populated at all.

>That's what unlimited 4G data plans are for.
I pay literally $5 CAD per month for my SMS plan. There's no way in hell I'm going to get that sort of value with any data plan, at least not in Canada.

I literally just realized that WhatsApp is a joke on the "What's Up" expression.

Attached: 1490200131146.png (1127x685, 37K)

Unlimited data plan is not for SMS only. I constantly use mine to tether internet to my laptop while I'm out. I also watch Netflix with it. It's for everything, not just for sending a small amount of characters. Whatsapp and other similar protocols are more feature rich than plain SMS, so people who don't have to worry about data use can switch to them. I feel like I shouldn't have to explain this in Jow Forums.

You misunderstoof my post. I don't have any data. I only have SMS, and I only pay $5 per month right now. Getting the most basic data plan would increase my monthly bill to something like $40, and if I were to get unlimited data it would be substantially more than that. And while better encryption is definitely a plus, whatsapp is still proprietary and still mostly a botnet. Overall I agree it's a slight improvement over SMS, that slight improvement is most definitely not worth getting increasing my monthly bill by 1000%.

Want to hear my plan? For the next 12 months I'm paying 24,90€/month to get unlimited 4G data (100 Mbit/s), SMS and calls within my country. I also have unlimited data in 6 neighboring countries and my plan includes 10 GB of data in other EU countries that aren't part of those 6. After 12 months this price will go up to 32,90€/month but since fixed subscription times are illegal I can then switch it to a better deal. At home I have a fiber connection. We are years ahead of the American continent. There's very little reason not to have a good internet plan on your phone here, so even though I could spend every waking hour sending free SMS I don't send any of them.

Facebook-owned

Fuck off nigger

That's nice, and if I lived in Europe I definitely would (Europe is simply flat out better than North America for telecommunications, for example pic related is completely unimaginable in North America), but I don't live in Europe. Data is expensive as shit here, but SMS isn't.

Attached: 1435248079842.png (732x478, 28K)

normies don't give a shit about that, same with people who use it.

I don't really know how you could fix that, maybe have enough people demanding better alternatives or something. SMS is old and deprecated, stop settling for it.

>maybe have enough people demanding better alternatives or something
It'll never happen, the minute some foreign company offers to actually fix the telecom problem in North America, the big companies will just lobby the governments into protecting them from any competition, and will get the public to side with them by portraying themselves as "poor little victims of evil giant foreign corporations". North Americans are collectively retarded to an extent that can no longer be fixed. The status quo here is worshiped in a way that you would probably struggle to understand (even in situations where the status quo is objectively bad).

>the big companies will just lobby the governments
The real question is how is this not illegal yet?

Racism website

Attached: 6e0.jpg (399x443, 152K)

because every time we try to change it the big companies lobby to maintain the status quo
and then they just go to the other side of the fence when it alligns with making more money.

They certainly do, but americans are generally less monolithic and more balkanized in their app usage. In many countries outside the US (especially asian countries) you have ubiquitous usage of a single app. Basically everybody in Japan is now on Line, for example. In the US, some people use whatsapp, some people use hangouts, some people use facebook, some people use sms, all sometimes people use many depending on which social group they are interacting with.

you forgot SMS and iMessage integration

they only use whatever the women use user.
t. user who tried to make friends switch to telegram.

sms is universal. It’s literally compatible across decades worth of devices. There are sms capable phones so old that the wireless standard they used has been rendered completely obsolete. So why bother with a proprietary app that your friend may not use if you already have their phone number?

Unfortunately Americans actually do use Whatsapp

I couldn't live without WhatsApp here in Germany
fucking everyone including every grandma and their cats use it

>insecure
>can't send media
>no emojis
>no group chats
>no video call
>no one uses it
>we have internet everywhere
>everyone has whatsapp or messenger

Wow so hard. Even my parents use whatsapp, the only thing SMS is used for is for 2 step auth codes, and not even that recently since you can just press ok on the phone without needing a code, at least for google.

>Everyone in every single developed european country (note for americans: europe doesn't mean just UK) uses whatsapp.
Nope, it depends on the country really. Here it's 99% Facebook messenger.

America's a shitfest when it comes to instant messaging. Different regions and cliques use different clients, which is exactly why SMS and MMS are still big here. The convenience of using the same software to communicate with everyone trumps any features any IM client has over SMS and MMS

>caring about what amerifats do

O B S E S S E D

Just force everyone you know to use something different. Things won't change of as long as nobody tries to change them

>no emojis
>no video call
>this guy thinks those are problems in any way shape or form

There was a wave of people trying to migrate to Telegram but it failed because everyone else refuses to switch to anything else
You have no idea how ridiculous the wide spread use of this is, I'm basically required to have it for my schoolwork because teachers and students only use WhatsApp, every relative you want to keep in touch with uses WhatsApp. When you exchange numbers with a girl, you don't ask if she has WhatsApp, she just says "I'll text you"

dumbass boomer normies only fall for popularism
if you didn't know better, you'd think they were communists..!

Only Indians and Latin America use kikeapp

I'm American and I use WhatsApp with my mom because we're on Tracfone and texts cost money.

iMessage

American's aren't poor like us Euros.

It doesn't "work". It lacks group messages, group calls, video/image/audio messages, data messages, video calls, and all of that is globally free.

>ever been into a place with thick walls?
>ever been deep underground?
Yes, such places either have wifi or shouldn't be texted from.

You don't even need unlimited internet. Even 2GB is enough since everyone uses WiFi. And 2-5GB is included even in 2nd world EU countries by default on majority of SIM plans.

>whatsapp is still proprietary and still mostly a botnet
It's not about whatsapp, you always have Wire and Silence.
>slight improvement
It's infinitely better. If I didn't have any data I wouldn't even buy a SIM card in the first place. You're just wasting $5 for nothing.

99.9% of them don't message people outside of the USA.

From what I've seen WhatsApp is very popular in western eu, while eastern eu use mostly Viber.

>American's aren't poor like us Euros.
Yup, "Like us Euros", right Americunt?

Attached: 1447058293358.jpg (800x2500, 883K)

Lmao I don't know a single euro country where SMS are not free.

How does that even make any sense.
If they all use iStuff, then there is no need for whatsapp.

And yes, I am a Euro and I am suffering because Austria is taking half my salary to pay for cunts without education and will to work.

I only buy flagship models and I've had HTC Desire HD, first generation Samsung Galaxy Note, Sony Xperia Z2, Xperia Z5 Premium and Samsung Galaxy S8+. I could have chosen an iPhone each time instead but I didn't want one since they are never good enough for me. They are also certainly never good enough for their price. Even if I didn't have any money at all I could still get an iPhone with a 2 year payment plan contract. There's nothing premium about them and people without iPhones aren't automatically poor. Just like people with iPhones aren't automatically rich.

Asians don't use WhatsApp either, we use LINE, which also supports QRCODE payments, and unlimited 4G data plans via LINE MOBILE

Still using SMS lmao

I'll take SMS over multiple IM clients any day.

Australia has unlimited SMS and has a big uptake of whatsapp.

Who the fuck even SMS' these days?

Because it is widely used in your country, fellow pajeet

Well they are if you are not autistic and actually have friends or a gf, which you probably don't. Also nice ignore regarding the other problems.

because its gay

Spaniard here. It's the most used by far user.

I'm from eastern Europe and nobody uses that, only Facebook messenger and Skype

We don't the popular messaging apps here are iMessage, Facebook messenger, and sms. I am American and I have tried telegram, WhatsApp, and Signal. I really liked telegram and signal is good for security. What'sapp is pretty shit.

>I choose to yell on the streets instead of using a phone

Never happens what are you smoking over there?

Spectacularly so, but it's endemic there.

It's no wonder how much it's used, considering how much it integrates. That's some impressively kitchen sink shit.

End-to-end encrypted using the best-in-class encryption, mind you, after some excellent tech evangelism.

It's inferior to Signal, and technically inferior to Wire too, but it's a good third place.

That doesn't mean other things don't have their place. Discord isn't private, but it does do casual groups and gaming groups very well.

>Day after my subscription
What subscription?

imagine how much of a shithole your country/continent has to be that you try to chase out every single comment that says anything good about a better country(an ally, at that). despite the fact that it's by far better in almost every field that matters, including economy, military, university education and culture. this is truly the nature of a current Europoor human trash. im glad darwinism is coming for your ass, you will soon be extinct.
t. Asian

so whats wrong with whatsapp?

hardmode: no facebook/security arguments

typical american

?????

Because it’s full of annoying poor people.

Just stick to iMessage and the cleaning lady can use SMS.