What's the single best beginner programming language?

What's the single best beginner programming language?

Attached: python-7be70baaac.png (512x512, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

BASIC

Scratch

nand gates

Excel. It's turing complete.

mit-scheme with SICP book

unironically...

Python
Ruby
Go

lisp

Attached: what the fuck, disgusted.jpg (350x525, 57K)

>Go
not with that coc it isn't. Their community is absolute cancer.

Attached: 144.jpg (305x446, 115K)

>go
where? also why are you calling me a rube and a snake?

lisp is useless for 99.9% of people. the .09% that actually use lisp are emacs fanboys who write emacs plugins. the other .01% are boomer academics who do research in FP or AI and think lisp is somehow better than haskell because they've been using lisp since 1986

Python so you understand algorithms

then C to understand how a computer actually works

fuck you honestly

Common Lisp.

Runner ups:
OCaml, GNU Guile.

I would say C++ because you learn about the low level shit but there is still space for some higher level shit. It's also very fast and supported on almost every platform.

Racket

Python for its design
Javascript for its ability to jump into it quickly

are you retarded. javascript is web only and python is only for prototyping

DON'T FALL FOR FUCKING JAVASCRIPT AND RUBY AND ALL THAT SHIT. Those languages are the real reason incompetent coders stuck with programming, thinking they are some code "artisan" when they write some chess game at some Starbucks with their hipster friends. You want to know if you will be able to contribute positively to the computer world? Then learn the basics. Learn computer science. Learn how hardware works. Learn all the small details. I started on Java, then moved to C; in my opinion, I think C is the best language to start on. Move to Java or C++ or even C# afterward. Don't just pat yourself on the back when you code some fizzbuzz shit. Learn how to write algorithms. Understand pointers and memory allocation and efficiency. Study data structures really well. Then, maybe push your intelligence a little and try functional programming languages like Haskell - it will make you a better programmer and teach you to think in different ways. Also become comfortable in an UNIX environment and look at documentation before crying for help on StackOverflow. Once you get a pretty good grip on the more traditional languages, then you can move on to the dumbed down languages like JS and Python and Ruby.

>nodejs doesn't exist

Doesn't matter, that's why it's useful. Beginner learn best by getting feedback and Javascript is great for that

Attached: didnt_read..gif (350x170, 1.82M)

>javascript ever

A great way to get bad habits stuck, you fucking pajeet

>nodejs shouldn't exist

>starting beginners on Javascript
And that is why software keeps getting shittier and the web keeps getting more and more bloated.

Literally this. Add in some bash, SQL, and maybe even Assembly, and you will become a competent programmer, unlike the javascript code monkeys at the coffee shop.

starting on javascript is a TERRIBLE idea.

why would you want to learn how to code with a language that has "forgiveness by default"? seriously, you can write syntactically incorrect javascript and the shit works in firefox/chrome/opera/safari/etc because the browsers automatically "fix" your broken code. and even if the JS is totally correct, different browsers will have different behaviors for the same javascript.

it's like learning English, but in your english class, you have MS Word spelling+grammar autocorrect on by default.

BASIC or ASM... Teach a kid binary and he'll computer for the rest of his life

why do you say C is the best to start on?

obviously because it's low level so you understand what is actually hapening

alright thanks

but if you want really low level shit learn assembly

but so low-level you get stuck on the weeds and it will take years before you can actually write something useful

Swift

depends on what you are writing retard. If you are doing microcontroller shit it's really quick to get something up and running

BTW, C is not even that low level

Learning C first so I understand how computer werks then Python to program faster and get a job

I never really got the whole "understand how a computer works with C" thing. Anything you'll learn programming C can be abstracted to the same level as it is in C with a simple explanation.

Perhaps as a vessel to read kernel code and shit, but learning C won't teach you how computers work. Most of that can be taught through more abstracted methods that'll probably be easier to understand

Provide some examples. I highly doubt a javascript programmer would understand how memory and other vital functions within good software work if they have never seen C

Don't even waste your time arguing with these C fanboys. Most of them are idealistic college students indoctrinated by useless CS professors who haven't ever worked commercially or ricers who think that tweaking C code for WMs is the height of development who have no clue what professional software development or codebases are.

Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.

I know Python
Now i want to learn Data Structures and Algorithms
but i don't know if i should learn it in python?!
They say programming with python gives you bad habits, i don't know
Or should i learn C and then Data Structures and Algorithms in C

Attached: hhh.png (189x204, 23K)

That's not even a proper programming language

stfu you moron. I taught myself how to program since i was around 12 and I've never ever taken a class in programming. Though i still think C is a great language for beginners because you learn how shit works.

go fuck yourself you brainlet. probably only like higher lever languages because you make too many errors otherwise

Use C or C++ especially for data structures. You'll understand them more and what's going on when you have to implement them using pointers.

So basically in conclusion. the responses you are getting about learning Python or Javascript is by brainlets that can't undertand real programming. And everyone else that even has the smallest grasp of programming will reccomend something like C or C++. Later on in your carrier brainlet languages will become important but you can only use them to their full potential by understanding the lower level languages.

>t. angry brainlet who could not understand memory allocation and pointers and even probably OOP in easier languages
I'm pretty sure your little blog written in javascript with some "framework" is not considered the height of professional software development.

Assembly

Unironically C

C -> assembly -> more C -> CPU design -> more assembly -> other shit

The C languages

first time my highschool teacher taught us C and C++ i was literally amazed at how they work

I don't program in C but you should learn C as your first language.

Amen user, some digital design on this fo sure so you understand every bit of the computer

Dart

>Unironically C
>C -> assembly -> more C -> CPU design -> more assembly -> other shit
the name of the thread is beginners programming language, like for an intro to programming class

the whole idea that C is closer to metal is bullshit that dumbass basement dwellers believe. Forth is an interpreted language and it gives much more control over actual memory locations than C does

Actually, ¿ why not ?

This. See below:

queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=3212479

>Forth
Wow what hipster language is that? Does it support inline assembly? Nobody ever talks about that you selective idiot, which makes C the most closest to the metal.

Fucking logic.
Fucking discrete mathematics.
Most of beginners have a problem with these two guys already.

>Nobody ever talks about that you selective idiot
anyone who does electronics and systems programming uses Forth to test their systems, not that a fizzbuzzer in moms basement like you would know anything about that

Learn Haskell before your brain rots due to imperative garbage.

>test their systems
Wow a testing DSL is better than C you realy got us there.

I think Stanford tried to make Javascript their first language and it failed and they went back to Java

>Wow a testing DSL
brainlet

nor gates

Forth is not a DSL, you fucking brainlet.

>I use an interpreted langauge in production on embedded unicorn systems.
Thanks for heating the earth.

This. If you're just starting OP consider getting PowerBasic as it's literally BASIC but for windows. If you feel like taking it up a notch download and install Visual Basic 6.0 and play around with it as 6.0 was the last version of basic to compile to machine code. Avoid VB.NET like the plague. When you're fed up with Visual Basic and feel like starting to program seriously and not only for x86 get a copy of PureBasic, literally C speed and functionality but with the syntax simplicity of BASIC.