/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Old

Attached: anime-right.png (1011x2094, 382K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/Chiiruno/OneeChan/tree/master/builds
androidcentral.com/downgrade-android-help
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can I set up xdg-mime to be more like Android's system? e.g. I want Thunderbird to open youtube links in MPV so I don't have to right click and copy the link to a terminal every time.

Did any of the ipod classics have full screen album art?

rockbox probably did.

Attached: 1530762759849.png (813x444, 55K)

So...there's this guy selling questionable 7970 for 30$, says he doesn't have a PSU to test it. Should i go for it? They're like 130$ in my country (Serbia).
Pic related - i don't see any damage here, maybe someone can notice something off...but on second pic there's a thing bothering me

1/2

Attached: Screenshot_5.png (1569x644, 2.57M)

...these pipes seem bent, dunno if that indicates damage or it's normal...help?

2/2

Attached: Screenshot_4.png (1073x506, 1001K)

I have a bunch of spare hard drives and want to tie them together to use as general media/file storage. Is LVM the correct way to do that or should I just mount them separately?

be me
upgrading pc case and a few other components
all the newer and pretty cases have no front slot for a CD drive
I need to use a CD drive on the regular
Are there any enclosures for CD drives that would normally be sitting in a computer case that exist, kind of like how you would put a regular hard drive in a shitty enclosure youd get off ebay for 20c ?
Or do I just buy a new external/usb cd drive all together ?

Attached: 1376822480145224.jpg (2400x3000, 1.49M)

>says he doesn't have a psu to test it
that sounds like bullshit to me, I'd pass

just go ahead and get an external one, they're fairly cheap and I don't think anyone makes enclosures for desktop cd drives

also, this chip has a yellow dot on it, if it means anything

>that sounds like bullshit to me, I'd pass
he's selling tvs, scooters and ancient computers (like 2007 era), i've gone through his selling list, i really think he doesn't have one. He's shady af, but that can also mean that he stole it, or bought a stolen one

Attached: Screenshot_6.png (465x251, 188K)

Posted this the other day and didn't get a chance to come back so I'll repost this.

I reinstalled Windows on my old laptop recently but I can't get the wireless to work. I can connect to the internet via ethernet, but if I try clicking on the little network icon in the tray it say no connections are available. I really have no idea what to do.

I'm on SP1 and have all the latest updates installed, tried installing some old Intel wireless drivers and apparently they're "already installed", tried some different Intel wireless drivers and those didn't work, and as the laptop is a Sony Vaio I tried grabbing their wireless drivers and those didn't make anything work either. Is there something obvious I'm forgetting to do? The physical wireless switch is turned on and it must be working as Bluetooth is enabled. I could wirelessly connect to my router before reinstalling Windows too.

Will an M.2 SSD improve my quality of life?

Is there a reupload of StyleChan anywhere?

Oops, meant to say Windows 7 SP1.

Honestly, not really.

For the first time in my life I'm using a computer with fiber internet (100mbps dl/10mbps up), before that I had 5mbps/0.5mbps.

I thought browsing the internet would be super fast, but I failed to realized you can download the page only as fast as the page server lets you.

Do you guys think pixiv throttles your speed?, sometimes it loads even slower than before!
FUCK.

What is this? A floppy disk drive?

Attached: megazone23p3.gif (500x360, 1.81M)

Is there an app for android that stops app from running in the background? I see lots of apps running and slowing down my ram. I use the samsung cleaner and it shuts them down but then pop up again. I only have 2gb of ram.

Attached: EBF6D34.jpg (792x678, 89K)

Can I put a custom ROM on my Note 8?

Attached: rustled.jpg (668x621, 173K)

fucking disgusting

I have a shitty ass premier smart TV, with a botleg TV launcher on top of jellybean, any idea how could I root?

Hey guys,
Assuming my processor won't bottleneck, what gpu should I buy to play at a locked 240 fps on 720p settings?
I was thinking a 1060 6Gb but that's just a guess. Anyone know?

Attached: NEW-SEXY-UNRELEASED-FORTNITE-SKIN-Fortnite-FUNNY-Best-Moments-Battle-Royale.jpg (1280x720, 183K)

That's how pirates used to close floppies

I want to buy an 860 Evo for a laptop but I'm split between the 2.5" SATA and mSATA versions.
I know the mSATA version will be a little lighter overall, but do they differ in:
>performance
>power usage
>reliability
?

I own a classic, and it doesn't do this. I run rockbox, but I haven't fiddled with the settings very much. that said, it's a rectangluar screen, and album art is a square (inb4 squares are rectangles).

Idk about older ipod videos

If you're asking then the differences wont matter
Just get sata, and make sure your motherboard has SATA3 ports
>reliability
Its Samsung, they are the golden standard for SSD's any one you get from them is high quality

>and make sure your motherboard has SATA3 ports
Well shit, it looks like the main drive bay is 3 but not the mSATA slot. That pretty much decides it. Thanks.

Does locking a computer encrypt the hard drive when bitlocker is enabled.

I have bitlocker enabled on my win10pro laptop. I know it decrypts when I login, but does it re-encrypt when I lock the computer with windows key+L? or does it only re-encrypt after a reboot?

No, it only re-encrypts at shutdown

If i use composite from imagemagick suite, to add watermarks to an image, am i lowering the quality of the image?

Gotcha, thanks

np, glhf

Hey guys, so I have an old laptop with win 10 and a built pc. I cant decide whether to put win10 on my pc and learn linux on laptop. Or if I should just put linux on my main pc and be done with it
My concerns is "settling" for software in linux if i end up wanting to do something and need software that can do the job easily. I dont really plan on dual boot. Any help with a decision would be great

Attached: 1479198821894.jpg (1920x1080, 346K)

I want to stream a video I have downloaded on my computer to several friends to watch together, what is the best software to use? Or site that won't ban for unlicensed streaming

What do you do on your computer?

plex or kodi

is iced coffee the best gamer fuel?

nope

Attached: Mt_Dew_Game_Fuel_20oz_Bottle_(Final).jpg (201x604, 36K)

Is it worth it to upgrade from an i5-4570 to a Ryzen 2600X?

Pretty mundane stuff. Anime, music, photoshop, school studies (not sure if there something like office in linux) and I play games but I did look it up and they support linux because I read games is something that's lacking in linux
I plan to learn a programming language as well

probably

Photoshop is the only thing that might have problems, but I hear you can run it under wine (haven't tried it myself)

Everything else will run fine under Linux. If I were you, I'd put it on your desktop and laptop

Will something bad happen if I combine 2 4GB RAM sticks with 2 8 GB RAM sticks for a total RAM of 24 GB?

IIRC you'll lose dual channel benefits, AKA your available bandwidth will be cut in half. Depending on what you're using it for, it's probably worth it.

So it will actually be like having 12 GB of RAM?

Attached: wot.jpg (705x527, 247K)

This isn't strictly Jow Forums related, but I've been trying to play Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas on my Android phone for a while. The problem is that the game keeps crashing on my phone. I'll be playing, and the game will freeze, and it will say "GTA: SA has stopped." I have a Nexus 5X, and the game appears on the Play Store, so I think my device is compatible. I'm playing a pirated copy, but I don't think it should matter.

TL;DR: I want to play a game on my Android phone, but it keeps crashing. Is there a way to stop it from crashing?

Attached: XRlCpj22PFJuFK43QcE3u5RxmoNUed7YO_zG-6F1PCqjrBIIURbTBDvTgLVVIk5pNeY=s180.png (180x180, 13K)

Thanks user, really saved me!

just don't play it?

But I want to play it.

there's a mod called real life

I recently bought a GPU on ebay, it never arrived and now I'm working with the seller and paypal to get my money.

The seller claims it was shipped, but there wasn't even a tracking number, the latest email I got says the seller has escelated the dispute to a claim.

Does anyone have experience with this shit and how long and how difficult a refund is with paypal?

Is there a difference in performance when running things in wine vs windows? Or does it just depends on what I want to run?
I am leaning towards linux so far

No - you'll still have 24GB of RAM, you'll just have slower access to it. For some workloads it matters a lot, but for the majority of workloads it's pretty much negligible.

What are some of the best, most reliable VPNs out there right now I can get on the cheap?

>Does anyone have experience with this shit?
no

i never used stylechan and i couldn't find it anywhere, but oneechan should work as well.
github.com/Chiiruno/OneeChan/tree/master/builds

you'll just have to disable the mascots manually.

Private Internet Access

/ etc / hosts it costs $0

That doesn't mean there aren't times I just want to chill with a game on my phone.

Is there any way to un-upgrade my phone? After yesterday's update my phone no longer plays videos properly, they auto play like a gif but still have the play button in the way and it has no progress bar. Trying to play the video in any way, from the default gallery to the files in my phone, results in either "file not found" (despite you know... being right there playing) to crashing the app. I'm so fucking pissed off at those motherfuckers at android that think its necessary to keep shiting out these fucking dumbass updates nobody wants. Phone is a Samsung galaxy s7 active btw

downgrade?

what's a good voice recorder that can start and stop with the press of a button? ideally it would be something that can either record continuously with intermittent stops (so it plays back like a tape recorder) or at least simply start recording to a new file each time the button is pressed (an then I can concatenate the files afterward). but the main thing is being able to start and stop recording immediately

cortana

I need to create a botnet account for professional use, something better than [email protected] which served me well when for trolling. Now that google needs mobile numbers for signup, I'm kind of fucked. My regular phone says "this number can't be used" and the ones I can borrow say "this has been used too many times".

What do?

Don't use a botnet service? Why does it need to be gmail?

google 10 minutes email

Dont use proton

Attached: lolproton.jpg (1913x3151, 1.72M)

What is the easiest way to check a USB cable for leaks?

Use outlook?

Anyone? I'm at a loss.

Is liquid cooling my PC a meme?

or vlc for something lighter

install gnu/linux
yes, install Common Sense 2018 Professional Edition instead

??? Leaks?

Put it underwater and blow into it, look for bubbles?

Send a file down it and see if the data leaks out onto your carpet?

Depends.

Are you going to overclock it a lot? Does your CPU have a really high TDP, to the point where an Evo 212 or AiO cooler can't keep it running comfortably? If either of these is a yes, then you might need a custom loop

That has nothing to do with the question, you were just looking for any reason to post this. Literally nobody but angry needledicks looking for something to be offended about cares or has ever even heard about that site.

No, someone at some point in the thread will post this. The thread is new ,it only has 78 posts, at somepoint in the duration of this thread, someone will post to use pronton.
I am alerting weary anons the dangers of using proton

>ever even heard about that site.
Its the most popular "alt culture" mail service for some reason,im assuming people blindly use it cause of snowdens and wikileaks leaks using it.

Yeah. Anyway to rollback the update or at the very least fix the video player? Maybe even a way to disable the update shit.

if your using any phone that is not running a 100% vanilla version of android with no copyright protection, such as the Doogee S60, then your only option is to try something and hope it doesnt brick it:
androidcentral.com/downgrade-android-help
if you have an apple you are SOL

Attached: doogee-s60-ip68-waterproof-black-mobile-phone.jpg (622x625, 75K)

if you want to downgrade the software package you are also probably SOL unless if you can find an older version hosted at some non-official apk website. download at your own risk though, these are untrusted repositories

fuck proton mail. home email hosting, cock.li, or nothing at all.

Attached: cc.jpg (268x188, 9K)

>What is the easiest way to check a USB cable for leaks?
if the purpose of your usb cable to carry a fluid? if not I am not sure I understand the point of this question.
do you want to check for shorts between the interior wires? i.e. connector pin 3 shorting to connector pin 5 somewhere in the wire?

i just keep a few cans of air duster around and when I see my cpu reach ~70C (only really happens when compiling or password hashing) i just stick the nozzle in my laptops air vent and press the button for 5-10 seconds.
its fun because i can hear the cpu fan go "vroooom!"

>[email protected]
i hope you like penis enlargement ads, cumgargler9000lol, because im about to send you alot.
>What do?
cock.li
cock.li
or possibly cock.li

I can't get this fucking PC to connect to the internet. Using LXLE (based on L/Ubuntu 16.04.4 I think) and it just won't fucking work for some reason. It used to not connect at all, attempting to connect and disconnecting before giving up entirely, now it connects for dome reason but I can't ping anything, not even the fucking router. Tried setting IPV4 address manually, still nothing. I know that the ethernet connection I'm using works because I tested it on the laptop I installed elementaryOS on for my mom after some chink assholes ransomware'd it. I even tried a liveCD of Mint to see if it would work, but still nothing.

What the fuck am I doing wrong here? I had to install another distribution because my last install (Kubuntu and a mishmash of other desktop environments because I have no idea what the hell I'm doing) just shit itself and died in its sleep after the PC had been off for a few months. I think I may have had a problem with this the last time but I can't remember how I fixed it before.I have the feeling that there was a simple fix somewhere but answers just elude me atm. I'm fucking rustled, man.

Picrelated is the ifconfig.

Attached: 20180707_230725_1000x750.jpg (1000x750, 515K)

first try an ethernet connection and see if that works. if it does, then i would reccomend replacing your wifi antenna, they are generally about $5

wifi or ethernet?
you have an ethernet if

ok, first of all i can see you are transmitting and receiving packets. you are on a network, there is no doubt about that.
specify the issue more.
are you unable to reach public address space, i.e. google.com?

also, show the the output of these commands
route
arp

and show output of this
tracepath 8.8.8.8

not really related but since it bugs me, why in gods name didn't you screenshot it instead of taking a picture of the screen?

not gonna do that

not gonna do this as well

ill show you what mine look like, seriously, unless if you want to play ball here i cant help you trouble shoot networking jackass
[user@fedora-25-dvm ~]$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
default gateway 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0
gateway 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 UH 0 0 0 eth0

[user@fedora-25-dvm ~]$ arp
Address HWtype HWaddress Flags Mask Iface
gateway ether fe:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff C eth0

good WPA2 word lists? postemm

ok if you want to be an idiot worried that ill see 192.168.0.1 as your gateway than describe your problem in more detail for me so i can help you
you are on a network, that is obvious by seeing sent and received packets.
what exactly is your issue?

>255.255.255.255
lol u r done kiddo
i'll teach u the consequences of posting your ip on Jow Forums

Attached: anonymous le hacktivist fais.png (300x300, 43K)

command not found

rockyou.txt
crackstations word list
but really the best is gpuhash.me it just costs ~$10 in cryptos when you get a hit.
ive gotten much more success rate with gpuhash than either dict files