Elon Musk says that C++ is a terrible language. Is he right?

Elon Musk says that C++ is a terrible language. Is he right?

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1015761785272463360

Attached: c.png (1260x1042, 270K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005593651219582977
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Elon Musk wanted to switch all the servers at Paypal from Linux to Windows.

Musk confirmed for knowing nothing

elon musk is a walking meme

Attached: ray kurzweil singularity.jpg (521x509, 37K)

What's up with Jow Forums's obsession with Musk?

He's right, Tesla autopilot is written in JS

wtf i love elon now

Elon was just furthering the NSA's goal of undermining private enterprise, security, and privacy.

he has a lot of money and will get to go to space
meanwhile i am poor neet and live in a basement. if i was self aware the reasons why i hate him would be obvious. we need communism.

He isn't completely wrong honestly.
C++ is the source of some of the best and worst programming practices
The power to shoot your self in the foot and all that
But some problems in computing require this flexibility

has musk actually written any code?
show me ONE program he has written, why is he treated as computer jesus?

BASED MUSK CONFIRMS C++ A SHIT. C++ NEETS ON SUICIDE WATCH.

He can code, idiot. he sold his first computer game when he was 12 years old. Then in the zip2 days he did an enormous amount of coding as well.

C++ confirmed for suicide.

RIP Musk, the Danes will get you.

Musk vs. Bjarne, next on pay-per-view wrestling

Attached: e1a07c7e25d7f42aa8312a852d1af34b25222e.jpg (400x438, 32K)

That's it. I'm triggered

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-07 21-35-22.png (587x457, 65K)

twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1005593651219582977
>At Zip2, I wrote entire V1 of software for drawing vector maps & calculating point to point directions anywhere in US (first ever company to do so), as well as white pages & business listings w reviews (an early Yelp). Also wrote V1 of classifieds, autotrading & real estate apps.

I found this part funny desu:
>I arrived in North America at 17 w $2000, a backpack & a suitcase full of books. Paid my own way thru college. Dropped out of Stanford Eng/Phys grad school w $110k in college debt.
>paid my own way thru
>110k debt
wot haha

Why are 'coders' so fucking retarded

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-07 21-38-49.png (641x190, 32K)

Because they're most likely novices

Holy shit kek this tweet

When it comes to computers he's out of is league.

Reminder
>Elon Musk wanted to switch all the servers at Paypal from Linux to Windows.

I bet this guy goes around telling everyone he's a science nerd too

He's right about C++.
Why are autists on Jow Forums always triggered about C++'s irrelevance outside of legacy?

he's saying he took on debt and paid it off himself. that's how most people "pay their way through college"

wtf I hate musk now

Holy fuck, you can't be this retarded.

>is he right?
I strongly suspect he's not informed enough to make that statement but I don't know his entire history.

He's not specifying 'the C++ I used to use' or 'Modern c++', which would be rather important.

I certainly agree though. They improve incredibly slowly and when they do they don't do a good job of it. I think the perception that the standard should 'standardize best practice' makes extremely little sense in a language where the amount of work required to build a system is so high.
If we had a very easy to work with language we'd actually be given a good chance to know what good practice is because we could afford to try things. Boost is there, they're good, they're opinionated, they put the work in.
And even so, it's not like they actually use objective metrics here.

>C 'better than' assembly.
>C++ 'better than' C
At least the second one makes some minute sense since sepples was intended to improve. Say the first one around any low level programmer and they'll just laugh at you for being so opinionated on things you know nothing about. C is not portable assembly it's a high level language designed in a time where almost every application needed low level access.

>he's saying he took on debt and paid it off himself.
Unless it was through private loans it was at least partially subsidized by the government.

I do wonder what a quantum instruction set would look like though.

Mov quantum register A, 0q1234

You don't even read the threads do you?

>implying there was anything wrong with windows server 2003

I don't think anyone cares. Musk was 'as the general public was' is the goal here.

To be fair, Windows was much more interesting than Linux at the time.

Here's another gem

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-07 Elon Musk on Twitter.png (640x178, 13K)

>C++ better than C
this is why freedom of speech should not apply to certain people below a set amount of IQ. it makes me sick how the hippie 60 IQ 6 gendered tranny at 18 can vote for the future of a country, this guy is even worse.

It's probably in Ruby,

I doubt they were using Linux in 2000, they were probably using another type of Unix. Can't expect Linux fanboys to know the difference though.

Holy shit keep them coming...

>I doubt they were using Linux in 2000
Amazon began migrating from Sun to Linux in 1998. Silicon valley knew the cost savings.

the only reason i'm on Jow Forums instead of somewhere else is because people here understand this

It gets better and better...

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-07 Elon Musk on Twitter.png (576x361, 338K)

Elon Musk is a businessman, not a programmer. His opinion is worthless here.

C was relatively high level for its time but as you said programs needed low level access, which C has. A high level language from the early 70s still had to be low level enough to run on the hardware of the time. I recall reading an interview with Ritchie and/or Thompson where they discussed how early C compilers would compile commands nearly one-to-one with assembly. Comparing C to assembly is perfectly valid.

A fellow Jow Forumsentleman I see

No its doesn't. What you're referring to is the similarities between early compilers and lack of optimization.
The language as designed has very little to do with assembly. And we're not in the 70s anymore. Asm and C has diverged a LOT more. There's always been things you couldn't express in (standard) C that you can express in asm but now there's incredibly little left.

It's an incredibly poor argument. If C had asm correspondence we'd probably not use it anymore actually.

He was a programmer in the past

C++ gives you power to control everything.

What happens when you give power to dumb people? They do shit.

That's why C# and other managed languages were created.

Saying C++ is bad is the same as saying that bumpers cars are better than real cars because you can't crash them, Because with a real car you can cause an accident.

During compilation, loops, if/else statements and all that get converted into GOTOs, which then get converted into branches / jumps. Long expressions are where the real optimization happens, sure, but if you actually know how to write goot asm code, it’s a pretty close correspondance.

:(

wtf I love C++ now?

i'm putting it all on bjarne because he's literally insane while musk is a literal crybaby autismo.
winner gets to fight terry davis

*shrek

You have to go to undergrad before grad dumb fuck. obviously this costs money.
Kys kike

Yes. But it's not like he has mental capacity to understand why.

>Boost is there, they're good, they're opinionated, they put the work in.
boost is hot garbage

Musk shoveled coal as a job when he was a teenager, he might have an upper hand

I wonder what languages run the Teslas.
Pretty sure there must be some C++ somewhere.

This. Only basedboy Liberals hate C++.

The only thing better than Assembly is direct machine code.

Never understood why people say this when theyre the exact same thing, other than for (you)s I guess

He probably only knows the c++ of the 90s. I doubt he has had the time to get acquainted with Modern c++

>caring about some looney retard's opinion on internet

What are the differences other than “smart” everything? (Aka bloat)

Probably they mean that
I don't know why they mean

When it comes to everything but shoveling bullshit, he's out of his league. As a bullshitter however, respect.

Except they aren't. They are close, certainly, but not 1 to 1.

according to elon musk, elon musk has done a lot of things.

Theres no difference other than having names for everything

mommy :(

This guy is right.

What are macros?

But he didn't pay his own way through he borrowed money

Those are part of the assembler, not the language

Still an abstraction of assembly coding. Just saying it's not 1 to 1, there is some applicable higher level foo foo you don't get with machine code.

An opcode gets converted to a binary instruction 1 to 1. It's the same damn thing.

I think Elon Musk and the Google boys are great guys, simply because of how ambitious they are.

I can't say the same for Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

He's right. Learn C, and then Rust if you're feeling adventurous.

Attached: rust-blk.png (512x512, 6K)

pls no

Digits acknowledged, but Rust isn't the language we deserve. Its feature set takes things way too far, adding generics and thread safety when they could have spent all that effort making it possible to cast a struct to an int.

Don't trust terrible people.

disagreeing with Musk is disagreeing with Carmack and Acton

Yes

That's type unsafe you fag. Do you even understand the core goals of the language?

Well you're wrong.. But your opinion didn't matter anyway

musk and acton are both hacks

The violin is a really terrible instrument, very difficult to play, deprecated. The bongos are so much superior. I do all my music with bongos.

t. Ruby developer

Then I disagree

People think since their favorite game engine uses C++ that they have to defend C++. It's possible to have good tools in old languages. That doesn't mean the language is still good though.

Who the fuck is 'Acton'?

but they were using solaris

you're fucking a nigger in the deep ocean, you've got no idea what's underneath you.

Carmack is an idiot tho

have you ever written an interrupt routine?

To paraphrase someone who I can't be bothered to Google rn
>C++ makes it harder shoot yourself in the foot. But when you do, you blow your whole leg off

It takes years of your life, hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of working hours, to become proficient in C++. People who invest that effort don't want their investment to be devalued, so they expect newcomers to suffer as much as they did, and lash out in anger at anything that appears to threaten the status quo.

lmao

It takes that long to get good at anything

based