What OS (linux preferred) will work on a Thinkpad 380z?

I have an old thinkpad 380z, and it at most has about 92 mb of RAM and a 300 mhz Pentium 2.

How do i make it anything approaching servicable? On boot it beeps twice, then says there are errors 00161 and 00163, and then goes to a screen saying there's a disc failure.

Attached: Thinkpad380ED.jpg (220x168, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZPzFrgV62hg
embeddedarm.com/blog/netbsd-toaster-powered-by-the-ts-7200-arm9-sbc/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

An old Linux distro. Go to waybackmachine and find one you like.

Lubuntu Alternate

Debian?

I don't think it knows how to boot from USB, so unless you want to burn a live Linux distro to CDROM and have everything erased every time you reboot, you probably want to get a 2.5" IDE hard drive to replace whatever is in there.

Also video related: youtube.com/watch?v=ZPzFrgV62hg

You should try NetBSD user. That can run on anything. Including a toaster, literally.

it's listed as the min RAM being 128 mb, without desktop, but I guess I'll give an old version a shot.
I will, ty user
if you promise it can run on a toaster, I'll try this first

embeddedarm.com/blog/netbsd-toaster-powered-by-the-ts-7200-arm9-sbc/

jesus christ what creature is this

Attached: 1431249211512.jpg (554x480, 39K)

A Neet from Jow Forums, but that's beside the point, He installed Debian in a older machine, so probably it does it run on the OP Thinkpad.

damn small linux

React OS (GPLv3 Windows NT5 clone) might work. NetBSD will definitely work well on it with a very basic window manager like twm or vtwm. There's also FreeDOS with OpenGEM as a GUI which is quite small and compatible with even the shittest of toasters.

Attached: 1526078534530.gif (500x493, 631K)

Debian won't run well on that amount of ram. The system can be upgraded with a 128mb stick.

I'd go with netbsd if you want a lunix like system.
>tfw my 380xd used the swap file so much it killed the ssd :c

t. tripcode!q/7

Throw it out in the garbage

>t. tripcode!q/7
Put your tripcode, retard.

Here's what you do. Make a 1GB swap. LXDE, and XFCE with the compositor turned off, should run just fine with that.

NO
BEGONE

Attached: 1525779875267.jpg (480x285, 23K)

Install Windows 10 on it amd post results

if you send a copy i will try

Literally any torrent site

> and it at most has about 92 mb of RAM and a 300 mhz Pentium 2
I've seen Debian 9 w/o systemd working on 16 MB of ram. I bet you'll need to recompile a kernel to achieve that.

new problem discovered: there's a crack on the top panel near the hinge. How to strengthen so it doesn't worsen? Tape?

NetBSD or OpenBSD will work great. A full default NetBSD install only takes up 31MB of drive space and can run in 8MB RAM.

no

can work, sure, but not optimal

this is a great idea

try freedos

youre the stupidest piece of shit in this thread, gtfo

There's really nothing GNU/Linux or BSD will do better than NT or 98 on this system other than server/development work or something absolutely security-critical over a network. The always up-to-date nature of free software means that most software worth having is too bloated and their "lightweight" counterparts will be either just as bloated, outdated, or just plain toyish.

Just stick NT4 on it after you replace the CMOS battery and (if necessary) the disk and kit it out with contemporary software from a place like WinWorld if you just want to play with it as a general-use system. You'll probably learn and get more out of it than just sticking a disk in and having a shittier version of the same experience you can get on any old PC or virtual machine.

>recommending proprietary closed-source non-free operating systems
disgusting

I don't think anyone asking a question like this is interested in auditing or modifying their operating system at the source level, a practical system beats an ideological paperweight any day of the week.

>auditing or modifying their operating system
you are truly stupid if you think this is the only reason to use a free and open-source operating system

I never said it was, there's no need to be upset.

How about minix? I have never tried it myself, but you don't need much of a computer to run that.

This, so much this.
But if OP want to loonix, he should try an oldish Slackware (like 9) and ditch X like a man.

Wrong. He can use i3 or some old school wm like TWM, and linux will work just fine and be at least in theory compatible with modern software, even if it takes a while to run. Maybe for word editing and excel Win would be better though. Depends on the use case.
The real problem is the web browser, and in that case Win 98 suffers exactly the same problems that a web browser on linux would have on that machine. Slow CPU, little memory and no hardware acceleration. That or a lightweight one that doesn't need modern hardware, but doesn't run 99% of the modern web.
It's a case of pick your poison.

>youre the stupidest piece of shit in this thread, gtfo
Because I'm right? Who asked for your ill informed opinion?

That guy is fucking awesome

>cool collection of thinkpads
>nice anime wallpaper#
>seems to really enjoy his life

You are a jealous faggot.

Knoppix, Puppy Linux, AntiX ,Tinycore, LinuxBBQ

dunno man he looks like a low T faggot. sure he's not trannie tier but I would unironically not switch lives with him and my life is pretty bleak

That's pretty much the route I go if I end up throwing GNU/Linux on an old system. At least gives you a somewhat different experience.
Getting a basic environment isn't really hard, it's the applications on top of it. You're not going to be throwing a modern Firefox build or LibreOffice at a 300 MHz PII, and what low-end friendly options you're going to find usually are going to be the same or worse than their fully-fledged Windows counterparts.
I emphasized server/dev work or security not because I don't think the hardware is X-capable but because I'd say that most of those are definitely going to run alright and do a generally better job than NT4 to the point that there are clear practical advantages if you're just looking at it from that angle.
>The real problem is the web browser
On a system like this I'd generally run an old version of Firefox/Seamonkey that can handle enough of the web to still be useful, whatever JavaScript it mangles would have run terribly anyway in a newer browser and most sites that actually need SSL I probably wouldn't be using with such a system anyway, though it is growing to be more of a problem lately with a lot of sites adopting it just because.

In the end, you can get by on either platform for probably 80% of the things a casual user would want to do on an old secondary machine, I mostly just see a (modern) GNU/Linux as the most boring option that's usually taken because that's all the given person thinks will be viable. I felt I learned a lot more trying to piece together a display-quality system with a contemporary software stack than I did just popping Puppy or Debian on whatever I picked up.

Use an old version of openBSD

>whatever JavaScript it mangles would have run terribly anyway in a newer browser

not really... for example there's a bug in reddit that prevents old android phones (tried it with android 4) to load it using the native browser

generally if I have to use old hardware to browse the web I prefer the browser to run slow (or at least have the option to use a modern one) than to be incompatible in some way with the sites

Sure, I could see this argument on something like a 2000s era system, but a mobile Pentium II? It would be absolutely unusable. Even FF2 will slow a system like that to a crawl without the JS interpreter running to begin with.

I mean, do whatever you want on your own hardware, but at that point I find it much more convenient to use remote desktop, X forwarding or just reach for a phone/tablet. It's biased of course because most of my browsing ends up hitting web 1.0-esque sites, personal scrapers or things like Wikipedia that don't rely on JavaScript to get the point across, but choosing an OS based on just that is hard for me to personally justify.

Microsoft itself has free ISOs on their site to download

Gentoo, SMGL, CRUX or roll your own with LFS

>gentoo
>you have to compile everything on a 300mhz CPU

Who are you, his boyfriend?

TinyCore
/thread

Gentoo is the best, just crosscompile everything and youll be fine.

Depends on what you want to use it for. If you want a GUI then Win9x would be your best choice, if you for some reason want to use it as a server and with modern software then some BSD or minimal linux install.