Noctua fans

After using fractal/phanteks fans for years, I got a 120mm Noctua the other day and the fan is not only blowing more air (just judging by temps inside of my case) but it's also way more quiet. I just compared it to a bunch of fans I have lying around and was surprised by this since fans are such a simple technology.

What's their secret? Fan blade shape? Motor? Plastics? Color?

Anyway, anyone know the engineering/science behind this shit?

Attached: 1512509456203.jpg (3254x3029, 736K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B07C5VG64V
youtube.com/watch?v=WgyCmiluBzU
youtube.com/watch?v=sRgw9wHP5fg
youtube.com/results?search_query=NF-A12x25
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

brown is scientifically proven to be the quietest. you thought they picked that ugly color for no reason?

yep, deep black was the absolute worst btw.

niggers hehe!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a lot of things. The angle on the fins, amount of fins, the plastic for it's thermal properties and tensile properties, the ball bearings in the fans. Even something "as simple" as fans has a lot of engineering work to make.

Would be cool if somehow they proved that color did matter

>It's a lot of things. The angle on the fins, amount of fins, the plastic for it's thermal properties and tensile properties, the ball bearings in the fans. Even something "as simple" as fans has a lot of engineering work to make.
How come others haven't copied this shit? (especially chinks).

Because it's genuinely more expensive to manufacture and past a certain price point people won't show interest unless it's a known-quality brand.

All of that. In fact Noctua came out and said if they painted their fans black the powder coat would raise temps by a degree or two.

I bought the NHD15 for my CPU and it's so quiet. However, the fans on my GPU and case fans are loud which negates the silence of the NHD15. I plan on one day switching the case fans to noctua but not sure about the GPU? Might have to waterblock with radiator, but then how loud is the radiator fans? Anyways I don't care much about sound, but it's one of those things where you want to get it quiet just because a good pc is considered quiet.

With the material tech Noctua uses, they can't make black fans as good as their brown ones (1-2 degrees C difference).

But if you want something quieter than Noctua, black, cheaper, and are willing to have 1-3 degrees warmer temps, get a BeQuiet Silent Wings 3.

Noctua are coming out with an amazing new 120mm fan that does the job of their best 140mm but other than that I see little reason to buy Noctua.

Attached: be_quiet_bl065_silent_wings_3_140mm_1396092.jpg (2000x2000, 303K)

its all in the bearing really sso2> most

im waiting for their new fans to hit, the ax25 or whatever theyre called. cant get them in australia yet

>I bought the NHD15 for my CPU and it's so quiet. However, the fans on my GPU and case fans are loud which negates the silence of the NHD15. I plan on one day switching the case fans to noctua but not sure about the GPU? Might have to waterblock with radiator, but then how loud is the radiator fans? Anyways I don't care much about sound, but it's one of those things where you want to get it quiet just because a good pc is considered quiet.
nigga just put a d15 on it. i did this years ago

Same reason that Toyota has such a great reputation for unbreakable, easy to fix cars.

Hundreds (or thousands) of iterations of conservative engineering ideals put into practice in a way that doesn't attempt to cut important corners for budgetary reasons.

It's also why Noctuas cost so much more than much of the competition despite their non-existent marketing budget.

>non-existent marketing budget
they dont need to market themselves, everyone does it for them

>All of that. In fact Noctua came out and said if they painted their fans black the powder coat would raise temps by a degree or two.
yeah, but inks are used to color plastics.

>But if you want something quieter than Noctua
LOL'd. Nothing is quieter than noctua. About the only fan I'd use other than noctua is Nidec. They make amazing fans but they're impossible to find outside Japan.

Also, new Noctua fan looks awfully similar to Nidec!!

>its all in the bearing really
fan blades. it's all about fan blades, their geometry and how close they are to housing.

that's a good point.

>everyone does it for them
they do have a budget (they send them to reviewers on YT and big sites). but they are still a tiny percentage of fan market.

one way to know if your fan is total shit is if it has LEDs. every fan that I tried that had LEDs was total shit.

>Also, new Noctua fan looks awfully similar to Nidec!!
forgot pic... here's the Nidec fan. Compare it to new noctua.

japs know their shit.

Attached: 1507019980959.jpg (496x500, 46K)

>fan blades. it's all about fan blades, their geometry and how close they are to housing.
no i mean for the noise levels. air is going to sound the same regardless of how fast its going

thats a gentle typhoon right? i cant believe they stopped making them

no, air flow is a large percentage of noise. even two ball bearings are decent when they're new. noctua uses SSO2 for longevity mostly. but a brand new 2 ball fan will produce similar motor noise level.

fan blades and how close they are to housing is a big part of overall noise level. closer the blades are to the outside housing, the less high-pitched noise you hear.

but to make those, you need high tolerance or your fan blades will scrape the housing.... so most manufacturers leave a bigger gap which produces more "coil whine" noise.

>thats a gentle typhoon right? i cant believe they stopped making them
Yes! I wish I didn't sell my computer years ago since it had 3 gentle typhoons in them. Can't find this fan anywhere now :((

new Noctua fan... quite similar to GT, right?

Attached: 1522640262048.jpg (620x413, 94K)

yeah, im currently asking a few companies if they can get them in yet. i want to put one on my d15

I wish I knew where to find them, every once in a while one shows up on ebay but the price is way too high.

what I don't get is why fan manufacturers waste so much space in the centre of the fan, you lose heaps of cooling potential

>a scythe is fine too
this

>what I don't get is why fan manufacturers waste so much space in the centre of the fan, you lose heaps of cooling potential
because physics.
center is always moving slower than the outside blades. VAST majority of air flow comes from the tips of the blades. so the center can be huge since it's irrelevant and adds maybe 1-2% of overall air flow.

It actually does or more accurately, clear/translucent blades tend to be harder plastics which will generally make more noise and are far more prone to losing a blade.

meant for

None of it is really 'secret sauce' it's just making the fan well in the first place.
Chinks don't want to build to quality since that costs too much.

yeah, scythe == nidec. not sure if that's their brand or they contracted Nidec to make it for them. Scythe used to make lots of cool computer adons.

the only thing bad thing about Gentle Typhoon is that it's not PWM. Wish Nidec would update it and also make a 140mm version.

>Anyway, anyone know the engineering/science behind this shit?

Austrian engnieering

Attached: file.png (848x477, 765K)

okay you nasty paid shill, you got me. it seems like i haven't wasted my money on useless shit recently, so i'm gonna try replacing my fans with noctua fans. i have four case fans and two 120mm fans to cool cpu, would anyone be kind enough to explain me how do i pick them? should i go
>max airflow for case fans
>max pressure for cpu fans

or is it more complicated than that?

The Noctua HQ is right around the corner from where I live and I know a few people who work there. From what i gather, their biggest thing for the new fans was to reduce the gap between fan housing and blades to basically nothing without them scraping as the material expands slightly - gives a huge boost in throughput or whatever it's called.

>>max airflow for case fans
>>max pressure for cpu fans
>
>or is it more complicated than that?
nope, that's it. they also have a chart somewhere on their site with suggestions and noise vs performance tables.

actually the vast majority of the air flow comes from the centre of the fan blade

middle is the only good choice

nope. look at the surface area of the blade. it expands outward. it's widest point is at the end of the blade. it's as simple as larger area = more airflow.

>The Noctua HQ is right around the corner from where I live and I know a few people who work there. From what i gather, their biggest thing for the new fans was to reduce the gap between fan housing and blades to basically nothing without them scraping as the material expands slightly - gives a huge boost in throughput or whatever it's called.
cool! I explained it here: when the air leaves the blades, it's thrown centrifugally so it hits the housing. that gap acts like a whistle. so if you can eliminate it, you eliminate a lot of noise.

which part of the housing causes the whistle? is it the 4 bars that hold it in place or the middle part

I know I should post this in /pcbg/ but I'll post it here as well.
Would a mini ITX system benefit from a 120mm noctua fan? I'll use it as an air intake a dizen centimetres in front of my cpu cooler.

yeah sure

the inside ring around the fan blades.

Why are GPU coolers still not standardised and still shit as a rule? Fuck's sake
My GPU is by far the loudest part of my PC. Other than the shitty HDD that I'm going to be replacing soon.

More blades = more thrust produced.

Basic aerodynamics learned as a air-mech.
It requires more energy obviously but if you have a 5 bladed 60mm fan vs a 12 bladed 60mm fan the 12 bladed will produce more airflow for the same RPM.

Therefore people generally run them at a slower speed so they move as much air as a 5 bladed but are way quieter.

More blades = more thrust at lower RPMs

Thats why a 6 bladed helicopter has more thrust takeoff than a bi-copter has.
The same is applied to quadcopter blades.

>radeon hd 7950 with faulty fan
>remove plastic cover, repaste, stick on it 2*12cm fans (software controlled)
still alive and kicking

Does this still hold if the combined surface area of the blades is the same?

Despite being "ugly" i do feel Noctua fans are a sign of prestige.
Pity a lot of people, even on Jow Forums would rather have hideous LED fans everywhere.

whats the upper limit to this? i dont get why nearly all pc fans are like 7 fin then instead of 12+

How about fans around front case with filter, is airflow fan still better than pressure one?

Filters do block airflow too.
Isn't the new AF12x25 made for those situations and the perfect all rounder? If you can get them and want to pay that money you could probably just use them for everything.

where buy

Dude, Noctua has black case fans.

>i dont get why nearly all pc fans are like 7 fin then instead of 12+
Because it is a tradeoff.
More fins = more static pressure/RPM but less volume of air moved
Less fins = more CFM but less static pressure

When the fans are mounted on the case and not on a cooler, there is usually less restriction to airflow, which makes it unnesessary and actually counterproductive to use pressure optimized fans.

Depends on the filter. If if isn't very restrictive, an airflow optimized fan still makes more sense.

amazon.com/dp/B07C5VG64V
Out of stock though

Have any of you used the noiseblocker eloops before?
They look pretty rad and unique and apparently are really quiet too.

Attached: 08NB019-1-p.jpg (1227x1227, 108K)

wait if more fins = less cfm how do these new noctuas have the same cfm as the a14 fans?

Tighter clearance between the fan and the housing I'd assume. Also it has a max rpm of 2000 compared to the A14's 1500

>LOL'd. Nothing is quieter than noctua. About the only fan I'd use other than noctua is Nidec. They make amazing fans but they're impossible to find outside Japan.

youtube.com/watch?v=WgyCmiluBzU

youtube.com/watch?v=sRgw9wHP5fg

>industrial 3000rpm fan vs a fan focused only on silence
youre not this retarded are you. also that testing apparatus is shit

as good as the GT was, the dual ball bearing really hurt it quietness-wise, for owning both the NF-A12x25 is very much an improvement
I wonder if some patent on Nidec's side expired or something

kek, why do you need 4? I have a noctua fan too and it really is silent... we should start regulating how loud fans can be

what about Denuvo then?

should be pretty good, go for it

because miners don't care about noise

i have 5 at this moment
>two front
>one bottom
>one blowing hot air out on the top
>one blowing hot air out on the rear
and there is a room for second top fan as well
[email protected] is not a joke, i had to add some fans because gpu was overheating from case heat

also Nidec still makes them but sells to enterprises and anyone who isn't buying 100 of them won't be sold any
you may see some appear on various sites such as coolerguys when a new batch hits the market

japs truely are the slave race

lol, why the fuck would you buy a 8350k, but whatever, you should delid it if you havent

I think he's talking about an FX8350

I have a 390 two of the three fans have died. Ziptied two 80mm fans to it. Runs cooler now than it did before it broke.

haha thats comical. i have the fx8350 and honestly instead of buying fans you should buy a new pc if thats the case

fan autism is a force to be reckoned with
t. huge fan austist who won't upgrade his core components

I am going to buy a Define R6 PC with a Vega 64 in it and I want it to be quiet.

Are Noctua fans good enough to ditch the Fractal Design ones right away?

im also a fan autist but thats only by virtue of being a noise and thermal autist. seriously a true curse it is.

vega 56 makes way way way more sense (thermals as well). fractal, as good as their cases are (seriously some of the best cases) make some pretty average fans. the ones that came with my meshify c got removed pretty quickly.

definitely, though I've had issues with my front intake A14 fans humming against the Mini C's frame but that's true for all intake fans to some degree

If the fans in the R6 are anything like the ones in the R5 i'd switch them out immediately. Extremely quiet but moves almost no air even at max rpm.

arent they using the same fans in all cases? they arent that quiet man

NF-A12x25

I've been thinking about upgrading my fans once all my new parts are in. My case runs cool as fuck and the noise is manageable, but it could be better
Pic related is my case, Corsair Carbide 500R
>3x Silenx Effizio 120mm
>3x Generic Corsair 120mm
>1x Generic Corsair 200mm
Would it be worth buying 3 noctuas to replace the 3 Silenx ones?

Attached: 41j+0PicryL._SX425_.jpg (425x425, 18K)

Some of their design use very few blades.
And I think those are their quietest, lowest rpm, fans of all. (but also low airflow and basically no static pressure)

I think it has to do with reducing turbulence, which I think is what causes the vast majority of sound.

Attached: 41gqZOCZvwL._SX355_.jpg (355x315, 12K)

probably the best fan on the market period

yeah man

i wonder how quiet they are vs the x25. like man this fan looks useless desu

Aren't the currently fans already now noise models?
Switching brands won't make much of a difference.
I would only switch fans if the bearing have worn out, or if you're going from high-rpm to low-rpm (or the other way around).

What even is the point of case fans desu

to provide cooling for the case, duh

airflow desu but a good case doesnt really need them, gpus benefit from them though

it absolutely would

>i wonder how quiet they are vs the x25. like man this fan looks useless desu

I used a similar fan (not sure if it's the exact same model) on a water dispenser.
It was in a guy's bedroom which doubled as our office, so it had to be very quiet.

Worked better than I expected.
It's inaudible, even when sleeping next to it at night.
And the airflow is certainly decent enough to keep the Peltier element cool. - I would say it even works better than the (tiny) original fan which sounded like a vacuum cleaner.

>industrial 3000rpm fan
NOTICE! This is run at 12V, NOT 24V
Max speed: 1630 RPM

Besides, you're contradicting yourself:

>vs a fan focused only on silence
>LOL'd. Nothing is quieter than noctua.

Attached: 16e.jpg (903x960, 45K)

>Aren't the currently fans already now noise models
yeah, but they're straight booty chinkshit. They're not that much quieter than normal fans, and the airflow is sub-par.

well im not the original person, but yeah nothing is quieter than certain noctua fans. obviously their industrial fans arent a good comparison because theyre made for performance. those 20mm fans tho 100%%%%

Ackshyully, they are dark gray.

let's hope noctua will spit out a 140mm version of this bad boy soon. btw any reliable benchmarks for this 120mm one online? can't find any...
noctua did very high claimes for this new one and i need to know if it's just marketing work or legit good fan

it's an absolute wonder and I've owned a ridiculous amount of other $25+ fans

youtube.com/results?search_query=NF-A12x25

>Have any of you used the noiseblocker eloops before?
friend of mine had 2 in the front and i couldn't hear them open, next to my ear running with 1200RPM. air pressure is low tho but they're seriously low noise. at least worth a try

>vega 56 makes way way way more sense
I am going to have an excersize in excess and go for the Sapphyre Nitro + with a vapor chamber and 3 8-pins and then see how it OCs.

Their static pressure focused fans are still better on radiators

so legit fan. nice!

Attached: 1530982682854.gif (680x435, 135K)

you can run the new ones at higher rpms without passing the (subjective, you'll have to believe me on this) audibility threshold