C

How did u learn C and what IDE do u use, user?
what would u suggest to someone who wants to learn it? (advice, best sources to learn from and best way to do it)

Attached: images.png (170x170, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

toves.org/books/cpy/
matt.sh/howto-c
cs.cmu.edu/~./213/schedule.html
wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard
cslibrary.stanford.edu/101/
aelinik.free.fr/c/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

books
vim
Read books and practice

Learned the basics through whatever then tried to make programs
Vim or if you must CodeBlocks
Maybe try Learn C the Hard Way

Started writing Linux kernel drivers at work, plus a university project 2 years earlier.

No IDE, nano + makefile in two terminals side by side.

Do some project, google things when you don't know how to do them.

Attached: 1422096397828.png (1029x409, 42K)

CS1
Notepad++, compiled using gcc on a college Linux server, used valgrind to check for leaks
Tutorialspoint is a good resource

>How did u learn C
years of perusing the internet
>and what IDE do u use
CLion for big shit, nano for small shit, Atom for general, all-around shit (lmk when there's a text editor that's just as good, ramlets)
>what would u suggest to someone who wants to learn it?
In C, the simplest way very often is the right way. The entire reason people use C is because it's extremely fast and highly efficient.

Not a big deal with a modern computer, but try to avoid using the heap when you can. Extended use and re-use of the heap during runtime can cause memory fragmentation, which can slow your program over time. Try to keep things allocated statically/on the stack whenever you can.

Attached: 2A5B0E5B85_preview.png (640x640, 433K)

geany was used at my uni and its cross platform, I kinda liked it

I liked geany, but I always preferred KDevelop. More sophisticated, but still pretty light.

Attached: 0cf.png (650x686, 249K)

use geany.

C is genuinely easier to learn than python. most python programmers have no idea what their language is actually doing. C is very transparent in that regard. it's a thin abstraction layer sprinkled on top of assembly

I started with this toves.org/books/cpy/
then read manpages and openbsd source code
used just any normal editor
AT&T C Traps and Pitfalls by Koenig
matt.sh/howto-c was helpful
continued with Beej's network guide and djb's libs
learned SEI CERT C Coding Standard
learned compilers in C, that was a nice exercise
read first C book: Expert C Programming: Deep Secrets
went through standards and rationales
later read King Modern C Modern Approach out of curiosity, nice beginner book

I'm currently reading the K&R book and it's a lot of fun! You need the patients to get through the exericses though, they don't hand hold you.

Don't bother with IDE's, just use a text editor. I reccomend Sublime or VSCode for getting started (I personally prefer Sublime with a VSCode-style theme because it's more comfy). If you want, you can get either emacs or vim and start learning/setting keybinds while you continue doing work in sublime/vscode. Install gcc to compile your code and run from a terminal. Neat tip, running ./a.out < sometextfile will have the C program treat the text file as input, so you don't have to manually enter input from the command line. It took me a while to realise that.

Beyond books I would reccomend doing random online challenges. r/dailyprogrammer is really good, and the Euler project is apparently very good for learning C in particular. Good luck user.

>ide

Fuck off to /v/ kid

tip for beginners: compile with clang and -fsanitize=undefined flag to catch some undefined behavior on runtime
also -Wall -Wextra for both compilers to get some warnings

Good tip: download ccache and set an alias like gcc='ccache gcc'.

Why is Jow Forums so autistic?

To add to your points , if a program is not displaying its output when you believe it should, try pressing control + d or h

>How did u learn C
K&R for the thematic principals of the language, and various websites for practical usage, and actual working examples for this century.
>what IDE do u use
At the time, I used Code::Blocks, which works with C and C++. But if you are learning a language, you really shouldn't use an IDE, so you know how everything works under the hood.
Learn C The Hard Way. I think it is available for free (the pdf anyway) on the website, or you can just torrent all the pdfs and it comes with videos too. Really the best way to learn C in current year.

Technology is inherently autistic.

CS App book, because it explains what the preproccesor does, what the linker does, how C looks like in assembly, ect
There's lectures for it here, click on 'old video' cs.cmu.edu/~./213/schedule.html
Then afterwards you want to read the SEI CERT C coding standards for safety wiki.sei.cmu.edu/confluence/display/c/SEI CERT C Coding Standard so you don't pajeet it up with shit code.
Then, finally you want to read the book '21st century c' which details which IDEs/tools are possible if you don't want to modify Vim/Emacs.

Congrats you know C now

I'm in the middle of the C Premier Plus and I've released that this book is really good because the chapters are really easy to digest and has lots of exercises that really put you to work. I can read a chapter in a couple of days and I haven't touched the book since march but all these time I been working on the exercises from just one chapter and I've grown a lot since then and overall it's a really complete book on C.
Right now because the programs I make are so simple I do not use an IDE, I write my code in notepad++ and then compile it on the command line of cygwin, I use Quincy 2005 to debug my programs, quincy is like training wheels IDE so it doesn't have too may features beside the debugger.

Attached: 1507164044187.jpg (125x125, 4K)

K&R, vs code

>Learn
Books and doing a stupid amount of questions
>IDE
All the basics with Vim, when I started to learn optimization, and data structures I moved to Emacs.
>Advice
Try to exercise with questions even if you don't know how to do the program itself, this will quickly teach you C.

This: cslibrary.stanford.edu/101/
+ any syntax highlighting editor
+ google-fu

>C IDE
A unix-like operating system.

C Primer if you don’t know it
Follow up with the one with the fish in the front then go to K&R

fpbp

GNU + Linux

>IDE
Kek

Tutorials to learn the syntax. Reading existing codebases to get an idea of what a good C program looks like, and how to approach various problems.

No IDE, just a text editor and a compiler.

>How did u learn C
A combination of just writing it, using K&R as a reference, and university.
>what IDE do u use
I just used a text editor, make, gdb, and a terminal
CS50x is a great resource.
The 'Handmade Hero' series is also great.
Definitely use Linux or OSX.

emacs and The C Programming Language

>How did u learn C
aelinik.free.fr/c/
That website will teach you C in a month with an hour or two of practice a day. Do each exercise until you understand it fully. Might take two or three months if you're retarded.

>and what IDE do u use
I used Nano because syntax highlighting and other frivolities are for pussies. Use tabs, not spaces.

>But if you are learning a language, you really shouldn't use an IDE, so you know how everything works under the hood
This. This is gospel. I became proficient, or so I thought, in C using IDEs that took care of the makefiles for me. It felt like going back to square 1 when I finally took the time to learn how to work with makefiles.

really, this again
cannot stress how important this is, OP