Why is digital a bad thing?

Why is digital a bad thing?

>dac built into headphones
>consistent sound quality on all devices
>small input plug for muh thinness

Whereas with 3.5mm analog most devices have shit quality dac's and the plug is prone to breaking easily.

Attached: 3515-2m-3-5mm-jack-to-jack-stereo-extension-audio-aux-gold-cable-lead-03.jpg (1500x1500, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Bluedio-F2/dp/B071SFQR9T
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I've never broken a 3.5mm and I've been using them longer than you have been alive.

>Why is digital a bad thing?

Because your ears and eyes are analog.

To bad everything is stored digitally now buddy

this is retarded. what if you want a different dac? is way better to have a good quality dac for all your devices than a shitty low-powered dac for every fucking device

The shitty earbuds that people use with their phones is the bottleneck on audio quality, not the dac.

Your ears are also shit. You won't be able to discern anything close to what a high quality dac can produce

It's not that digital is bad, it's where you in the device chain you cram it.
There's the problem right there. Who says every headphone would have a good DAC? You can trust (most) manufacturers to cut corners to bring down costs at every possible step, and I'd be really surprised if they didn't skimp out on the DACs, and it would most likely be a part you can't swap out that easily.
Having headphones analog keeps them less complicated, (easier maintenance, less parts to break down), ensures future compatibility (i.e. if it's a 3.5mm plug, it WILL work with a 3.5mm socket), and doesn't tie your headphones to be only using its built-in DAC.

In my own experience a typical phone DAC is a bottleneck once you've spent a minimum on better earbuds or headphones. And real soon, around the $15 mark. Even a portable CD player is leagues better typically.

Ah yes. What figures of merit are you measuring to discern the difference between these two digital to analog converters? What kind of FFT windowing?

>plug is prone to breaking easily
how?
honestly, how can you possibly fuck up a 3.5mm plug?

Nearly every phone DAC I've ever used is a piece of shit riddled with static white noise.

It's bad because phone companies are retarded and don't come up with a practical solution.

>Not being able to charge and listen music
>Using a bt headphone means being able to run out of charge

The only reason phone manufacturing companies are ditching headphones; s so the can sell even more overpriced shitty accessories.

I'm pro digital but I'm against dumbing down technology.

Empirically I can tell you that there's lots of hissing, so one could infer that the noise floor is not that good. Granted, that may just mean that the analog circuits are the crappy ones. If I get a hold of an oscilloscope I'll measure it myself, you've actually made me curious now.

Shitty DAC in devices? Now you got shitty DAC inside your headphones.
I just need to buy a decent external DAC for my analog headphones once, but you must buy high-end digital headphones every time.

Do DACs integrated into headphones have proper power amplifiers to drive the headphones or do they simply take the digital audio data and level shift it before converting it to analog to "amplify" it. That's honestly a pretty shitty solution for driving low impedance earbuds and it's downright unacceptable for a proper pair of cans.

>digital headphones
I've seen a few mentions of actual digital drivers where magnet is fed 1bit high frequency signal, but are those any good? There's still signal decoding and power conversion involved, but I guess quality should be more consistent and mostly limited by drivers, right?

By putting your phone in your pocket.

90 degree plugs are fine, but straight ones break constantly.

>3.5mm
>not a small plug

Also:

>lose/break headphones
>need to buy expensive headphones with DAC built in

That's just a bad thing.
>consistent sound quality on all devices
Consistent =/= good
>small input plug for muh thinness
This is how I know you're retarded or a shill. The thiccness of the plug is in the fucking name, 3.5mm. There's phones much thinner than your precious apple toy that has 3.5mm jacks.

The same goes for the "internal space" lie, the space saved from removing 3.5mm jack Is enough for about 50mAh of battery. And of course the iphone didnt actually get a larger battery when they removed the jack.

Is it good? or will the unusual 15k-25k and 16ohms damage my ears?

amazon.com/Bluetooth-Headphones-Cancelling-Bluedio-F2/dp/B071SFQR9T

>straight jack
what retard would buy headphones with a straight jack?

you mean "shitty DAC build into headphones"
Because a qualy DAC would break your söyböy neck.

Not me, but 95% of headphones come with a straight jack for some retarded reason.
And they often don't mention it in any specs.

Why are nearly all headphones drivers unbalanced?

All headphone drivers should be differential input differential output yet in most cases it's single ended input single ended output. It's not even differential input single ended output. Do people like listening to noise or something?

Not a single pair of earbuds i bought had a straight jack, i didn't even know they made those

Are you buying Walmart shit or something? Most mid ranged earbuds are straight jack.

>so the can sell even more overpriced shitty accessories.
And only Apple directly benefits from this, but this hasn't stopped Android manufacturers from excluding a 3.5mm jack either.

I've been saying this for a while. Yeah a huge external solution would be even better but almost nobody would carry that around. If we shift to USB-C(and eventually bluetooth when that's better) audio you can purchase a pair of headphones taking the DAC into account and then never worry about it again. Aside from the consistency among devices you won't have to deal with interference from other components.

It's actually a really good opportunity to improve the audio quality of the masses.