Quickest way to wipe windows

i got a shitty lenovo laptop for $160 that came with Windows 10, and i want to install a real OS on it. unfortunately my flash drives with FreeBSD and OpenBSD installers apparently can't mount the ntfs file system (FreeBSD sees it as /dev/msdosfs ) so I can't easily just install right to the hard drive.

what's the quickest way to get rid of this windows shit so i can install FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Gentoo/something non-shitty?

right now my first line of attack is to create a lubuntu flash drive and use that as my "live disk" to reformat this shit since my BSDs were complaining when i tried to do it the ways i thought would work... probably doing it wrong tho

Attached: yRXrW6upi_2f7PHrVu64JN5SVahd4p_zlNVo6gpUp1sNOglYaVpqN1Q_bxjXpeptjMNxzTtxtDVpJNil5eCBNU9UmfvmFNhNHnKG (1892x1070, 271K)

Other urls found in this thread:

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/remote-install/article.html
kflu.github.io/2018/02/03/2018-02-03-freebsd-ntfs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

give it back jayquan

> can't mount the ntfs file system
For what purpose do you need to mount the old filesystem.

Just use fdisk(*bsd fdisk works different from gnu/fdisk) to write a new partition table.

it was giving me some stupid error that my USB boot disk wasn't writable when i tried to do that...? i can't find any good instructions in the (otherwise really nice) FreeBSD docs on how to do this correctly using the installer...

it seems like lubuntu is already getting rid of windows very nicely for me. stupid hack to use the ubuntu installer, but it seems to be werking.

well now i feel like a toal noob that i needed Canonical's help to get windows off my shit....

>Hiren's
>Gparted
>DBAN
Pick whatever you like, wipe the whole disk and repartition. Any recent live image would probably work too, just use gparted or fdisk.

While you're in ubuntu, consider doing an mfsBSD install, kinda like gentoo chroot install but cooler.

freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/remote-install/article.html

we can give you better help there instead of just telling you how fucking retarded you are.

pull out the hdd, connect to another computer or live boot into linux and connect it as external drive, then do reformat.

sorry for spamming my own thread, but after letting lubuntu's installer remove windows, the FreeBSD installer saw my hdd as "mcsd8" and now it seems to be installing happily.

FreeBSD devs: fucking fix this shit

* typo" "mmcsd0", not "mcsd8"

Bulk eraser

DBAN

well, now my problem is that:
>even though lubuntu had me surfing the web for a while
>freeBSD apparently can't drive the wireless NIC

goddamnit. 2 years ago i would have told myself "bro, it's foolish to expect FOSS software to actually werk, so just buy a mac brah"

now i try and use FreeBSD, the "complete OS" of the computing world, and it can't run a $160 computer for me. but lubuntu can.

you know what, i'm selling out and applying for all the most closed-as-closed-can-be source SW companies

Just like you can emulate windows drivers on linux, you can emulate linux drivers on *BSD
>now i try and use FreeBSD, the "complete OS" of the computing world
No that would be debian, netBSD or minix, but if you want a perfect "out of the box " experience, install tumbleweed.

>quickest way to wipe windows
use toilet paper

Install Gentoo

lenovo
put sony in picture
wew

>FreeBSD and OpenBSD installers apparently can't mount the ntfs file system
The absolute state of BSD

>apparently can't mount the ntfs file system
Wut, why would you even want to

Just boot your Linux Mint installer and select 'use whole disk for linux mint'

Congrats, you have learned that BSDs are useless as desktops. Now you can install Linux.

why don't you format the OBSD installer drives as fat32 instead of ntfs? you need 10 minutes of read access on a handful of files.

Just wipe the whole disk.

Pretty sure that's an external monitor, otherwise it would be some extreme bezels for a laptop.

>quickest way to wipe windows

>Pick whatever you like, wipe the whole disk and repartition
>reformat
>Bulk eraser
>DBAN
>Just wipe the whole disk.

this is how retarded Jow Forums is
>what is the partition table
just write random shit to the partition table
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M count=1

btw, make sure to know the name of your disk, otherwise you could end up losing data from another disk...

>sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4M count=1
> not sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/* bs=4M count=1 just to be sure.

>just write random shit to the partition table

I learned how that thing works on the hard way, accidentally typed sda instead of sdb, fucked up entire drive.

some programs can help you recover the MBR. not sure about GPT, though.
also...

4MB is overkill btw, you'll also probably delete partition data if you overwrite the first 4MB. I guess 512kB/1 MB is more than enough (though that depends on the layout if your partitions)

>the absolute state of Jow Forums
why not just installing some linux distro and then install bsd?

Getting rid of the partition table was the point. It's faster than wiping the whole drive and accomplishes the same purpose of getting the bsd installer to shut up about ntfs partitions.

I'd wipe the entire disk anyway, it's just best practices for used disks IMO. Gets rid of whatever shady shit the last guy might have had on it and if the disk has bad blocks you'll find out.

do you buy used HDDs? why would you even do that?

Idk about openbsd, but on freebsd it's pretty easy, but not included in a default install, like on the easier linuxes
kflu.github.io/2018/02/03/2018-02-03-freebsd-ntfs/

it's one of the few things that kept me from going balls deep. it works well for reading, not so well for writing
the guy who maintained ntfs support for freebsd retired years ago

except on freebsd you wouldn't call it /dev/sda
you'd call it /dev/adaX, or /dev/daX, where X can be 0,1,2,3,...

Attached: ntfs.png (621x358, 155K)

to be specific the installers can't since they're a slimmed down os, you could install download the prebuilt binary for mount_ntfs and it'd work fine.