ATTENTION WINDOWS USERS ON Jow Forums

1. Get rufus (rufus.akeo.ie/)
2. Get qbitottrent (qbittorrent.org/)
3. Get Kubuntu (kubuntu.org/alternative-downloads)

Install GNU/Linux

>b-but my gamesss
buy a ps4
>but my adobe software
get a macbook

GNU/Linux is good for programming, networking, having control over your computer(Extreme customizability ) and security+privacy

Attached: GNU.png (786x768, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

9front.org/iso/9front-6517.dcfbb100317e.iso.gz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You are a faggot.

t. Linux user (fuck your gnu).

gnu/linux
say it with me babe
GNU
/
LINUX

Linux

>buy a ps4
can we end this "lel just get a console" meme right now?
Steam has quite a lot of GNU/Linux native games now. Sure you're not going to ever get the latest AAA lootbox simulator, but there's lots of smaller-profile releases, indie games, the occasional mainstream release, all of valve's stuff, etc.

I've heard this meme mostly because games are the main non-free software people use, so it's a way to keep your PC clean by dedicating something else to games.

>telling winfags to spend literally thousands on extra hardware just to do basic shit
God you're retarded.

Winfags: run wine for everything you can, dual boot for everything you can't. Easy.

>dear users of os a
>install os b despite the fact that os a fits your workflow and needs
gee I wonder

>Winfags: run wine for everything you can, dual boot for everything you can't. Easy.
>winfags run crippled software heh. EZPZ
JHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Shut the fuck up
retard

PS4 doesn't have Dota 2

Linux is a kernel
>Kubuntu
Rly?

Great thread OP!

PS4 runs native on gnu/Linux
Brainded

But GNU/Linux does!
No seriously, Valve released Dota 2 for GNU/Linux

Linux operating system

>Dota 2 for GNU/Linux
Fuck off with that botnet
just buy a PSbotnet4 and play games on that shit

>Jow Forums
baka famalam

>Get Kubuntu
>No Unity DE
I see you're keeping with the tradition of being a faggot, OP!

I have ubuntu, am i free?

No thanks, i gave ubuntu an honest try for almost a month but grew frustrated of things randomly breaking without a single error anywhere.
Gonna try slackware soon though because i heard it was more simple to maintain and learn about the system.

>Ubuntu
Fuck off with that garbage. Just use Debian, not a fork of Debian. The same applies to all distros, never bother with a fork.

>buy a ps4
stupid buy pig

Or just duelboot like a nonretard

OP here, this is for newfags
Debian has a bit of a learning curve with the apt sources stuff
I use debian myself.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1520503956760.jpg (1306x982, 205K)

Don't treat people like babies. It isn't hard to learn. If you tell people to use garbage like Ubuntu then you're only hindering them.

Linux

>duelboot

>buy a ps4
but muh mouse aiming
and dpnt post that horseshit converter

k

Kubuntu 18.04 is based though.

Once you strip the gnome shit and go plasma 5.12+ it's the best out there for good out of box setup that actually has everything in order.

How about you just stop playing with toys entirely?

and do fucking what with my time?

I'm new to Linux, I see people talking a lot about Arch around here, is it the best distro?

Learn a skill.

Linux (the OS)

GOO NU
/
LOONIX
POO IN LOO LOOO

It's good. It has new, up to date packages, is rolling release, and their wiki is excellent.

Red Hat shill

and what fucking good will that do me? life isnt dnd you dont improve by just learnibg skills the only thing im even interested in outside of computers is singing and that aint no skill

Why the fuck are you replying to larpers in the first place

You could learn English first, that would be a good skill to have. Learn a programming language, exercise, read something. Anything is better than playing with toys. Go throw shit against the wall for all I care.

i know english and i dont care to learn a programming language i read just fine i get plenty of exercise at work ill keep playing shooters on my windows install thank you

Enjoy being a slave to pajeet.

>slave to pajeet
>because i spend hours playing doom quake and secondlife gor

I'm going to make this thread
Every single day

I want gentoo ootb, so cloveros or calculate? Thanks

Because you're a wangtard.

>wangtard
now you just sound rediculous
tell you what when they fix windowed gsync on linux ill switch back to it as every game i just listed runs on linux fine

Stop relying on others to provide for you.

I don't use gnu

right ill get right on fixing the proprietary linux nvidia driverafter i cure cancer and solve world hunger

>I don't use gnu
Please , install openBSD.
>OpenBSD's security enhancements, built-in cryptography and the pf packet filter suit it for use in the security industry, for example on firewalls,[4] intrusion-detection systems and VPN gateways.

Attached: openbsd_logo.jpg (442x293, 41K)

What if I want to MAKE games? Why would my production environment be anything other than the most popular platform for them?

>winfags are poorfags
color me suprised

kys you pedo gnutard, fuckoff with your shit server os. linux sucks on desktop

how about you fix nouveau instead with all those programming skills you learned by using linux

>those lips
Yeah, I'm fine where I'm at Jaequan.
Thanks anyways.

the only good post on Jow Forums right now

Main PC

Thinkpad T410
Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Find me replacements for the following and I'll uninstall Windows.
>WinDV
>Virtualdub
Macbook isn't an answer, neither is Wine.

The only things keeping me from installing Debian.

What about Autodesk suite, OrCAD, Solidworks, Mentor Graphics... or just about any enterprise-level engineering software?

Attached: 1415124109090.jpg (300x740, 21K)

OpenBSD is a meme
>Filesystem
default FS doesn't even support SSD TRIM, and OpenBSD doesn't support anything modern like ZFS or BTRFS.
In the CIA triad of Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability, availability seems to be the one that's lacking. Who cares how hack-resistant your system is if the data you're protecting is corrupted?
That's not even getting into the volume management stuff that's missing, and the snapshots, and the everything.
"b-b-but MUH BACKUPS!!"
You do realize that if the filesystem is not secure and does not protect against bitrot and corruption, your precious backups are going to be fucked, because you'll be backing up corrupted data. Who even knows how far you'll have to roll back in order to get to a clean state?
>Security
"Only two remote holes in the default install!!!!!!!"
Yay!
I hope you realize that this literally only applies to a base system install with absolutely no packages added. In other words, not exactly representative or meaningful towards... anything really
>Sustainability
A few years ago, OpenBSD was actually in danger of shutting down because they couldn't keep the fucking lights on. How could anyone see this as a system they could rely on, when it could be in danger of ending at any time?
>Standards-compliance
"B-But OpenBSD is written in strictly standards-compliant C! Clearly that's better than muh GNU virus!"
So you're not allowed to create extensions to the standard? You should only implement the standard and nothing more? Keep in mind that this is nothing like EEE, as the GNU extensions are Free Software, with freely available source code, as opposed to proprietary shite. People should be allowed to innovate and improve things.
If you're gonna be anal about standards-compliance, then why let people make their own implementations anyway? Why not have the standards organizations make one C implementation and force everyone to use it?

Attached: puf800X689.gif (800x689, 69K)

TRIM when?
ZFS when?
Multicore firewall when?
NFSv4 when?

Let's go into those:
TRIM is vital to properly supporting SSDs. Without it, deleting a few pages from the storage would require the deletion of the entire block before putting it all back, creating unnecessary reads and writes and ultimately causing a faster degradation of the SSD.
ZFS, and other filesystems like it, provide numerous features both for better management of your data with subvolumes, as well as better security. The security features include snapshotting, checksumming of all data and metadata, bitrot protection, excellent implementation of software RAID, and so on. Backups should of course always be made, but they can be complimented with a better FS. I can just imagine it now: An OpenBSD admin routinely backing up his system, unaware that data is being silently corrupted. By the time it's a problem, it's too late. Imagine how far back he'd have to roll back to get to a stable state? If only he had a filesystem that wasn't written in the 80s, and actually did something to protect his data. OpenBSD has best security? I think not.
PF, at least on OpenBSD, does not support more than one core of one processor. Linux's netfilter on the other hand, does. Not much else to say.
It's been 18 years since NFSv4 was originally standardized, and OpenBSD has still not gotten around to implementing it. This is quite a deficiency, as NFSv4 now allows you to authenticate connections with Kerberos, and even encrypt the data transfers. Once again, you would think such a security-focused OS would care about such benefits, but alas, no.

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

Who's paying these anti-OpenBSD shills? Always the same posts. I wonder why they would try so hard to shut it down...

openbsd allows hugs, that's why

Or use vine if you are a only linux fagg

>he thinks i'm a FreeBSD shill
Install GNU/Linux

fpbp

Windows is superior in every single way. Kill yourself faggot.

No, don't want to make my OS my hobby.

No. You got it wrong.

1. install cygwin/msys/whatever wincucks use.
2. curl 9front.org/iso/9front-6517.dcfbb100317e.iso.gz | gunzip - > /dev/usbdevice

>but muh programs
fuk u
>but muh gaymes
it has doom, nethack and (s)nes/gb(a) emulators. What else could you need?????

>1. install cygwin
Yeah, good luck with that.

No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

None of the games I play are on the PS4.
The games that are on the PS4 run worse than on PC.
Stop abusing your computer with half-assed homebrew operating systems.

>What else could you need?????
Hmm... Dark Souls REMASTEREDâ„¢ at native performance.

systemd, shitty maintainers, and shitty community. use void or something

im using linux sans gnu bloatware. gnu isnt at all an integral part of a linux operating system and it would be foolish to delude them into thinking they are achieving anything

this post reeks of a CS freshman who's already little ducked to the Unix-like environment and now thinks its the only way a computer can be used

Install Gentoo.

Attached: 1527638590291.jpg (900x675, 98K)

I know that PS4 runs a FreeBSD-based operating system. Have there been any attempts for desktop-like usage such as X and a window manager?