Since 2012-2013 no real innovation has been made in the smartphone industry

Since 2012-2013 no real innovation has been made in the smartphone industry.
All the cool features they keep adding are promotional gimmicks.
A phone like a Galaxy Nexus can do everything the latest flagship can do.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-nexus-full-5.jpg (800x581, 94K)

I've been rocking my S7 Edge ever since it came out. I've messed around with newer phones, and I don't really, aside from screen size increasing, notice anything. 2016 technology thriving just fine in 2018. I kinda like using older technology. Idk why.

Attached: 1530824058812.jpg (700x553, 103K)

And the only reason I got an S7 Edge was for the Gear VR gimmick. I prboably could've have kept using my hand me down 2014 Galaxy S5.

>s7
>older technology

We can actually go all the way back to 2010 if not earlier. Too bad modern web services broke compatibility with it even though nothing really new was added to them too.

Attached: topic_iphone_4.png (800x800, 135K)

Still using a galaxy s4. Lineage 15.1/8.1.0

None of the phone listed thusfar even have s pen
Lol

Wrong. We just got variable aperture on phone cameras. That by itself is a huge thing if you have any understanding of optics.

Fucking shitty phone, and those fucks at google dropped support for it like 1 year after release so no updated. I can't even access google play anymore and batter holds for like 3 hours.

The same can be said of computers. They've been stagnant as fuck for years. Just increasing the amount of RAM and CPU gigglehurts isn't innovation. It's progress, sure, but it's very slow forward momentum, just like cell phones.

That said, there's a high probability that I'll buy a Galaxy S10 if it has the supposed foldable display. I'm really happy with where Samsung has gone with their phones since the S8, especially with their theme engine because I am able to rice every single aspect of my phone like a stock ROM with substratum, and the physical design of the phone is perfection.

>S Pen
Useless gimmick

Spoken like a non pro user

>been using the same €150 wileyfox swift for 2,5 years now
>all plastic so it hasn't even broken after dropping it a bunch of times
>latest android
Budget smartphones are very viable these days. Well, unless you need a top tier camera or screen or something.

because you don't pay attention

I think the last year for really great smartphones was 2014. Or at least, that was when a lot of phones I like came out

This, my Samsung Note 4 is still my daily driver.

And I only got that because my Note 2 died a painful, concrete-stair-related death

I still am. Got it from dad in 2015

depends entirely on what you require out of your phone. A budget sub $100 phone will get the job done, but not as well as say, a $350+ phone. Although I'll be the first to admit people paying (or god forbid financing) a $900+ phone are retarded. I bought my LG V20 new for $320 due to a T-Mobile promo. Now that I've experienced the Hi-Fi DAC, high storage capacity, screen quality, etc, it's hard to go back to my old phone.

>useless
For normie retards, yes

Note 4 is a tank desu
And has a dope camera
A phone is to message, and call. Any phone can get that job done for that.
Literally anything else is an added useless gimmick.

>A phone is to message, and call
Maybe when cell phones first launched sure. But you don't see anyone with a dedicated MP3 player anymore other than audiophiles do you? How about people walking around with DSLR or just dedicated cameras in general other than photographers at an event?

Smartphones have become about more than just calling and messages. I won't support spending more than $500 on a phone, but even mid range phones have a do it all attitude now. If you were concerned solely with calling and messaging, you wouldn't have a smartphone at all.

Thank God we are talking about smartphones and not simple phones.

E4/E5 play still has
>replaceable battery
>headphone jack
>SD card
>mostly stock android
>works on any carrier
Why own anything else unless you're a hysterical woman that wants to take 4k selfies?

this
was using an S4 until this january when i shattered the screen completely
my buddy offered my his V20 since he upgraded to the V30 for only $150
the screen would've been $100 to fix so it seemed like a no-brainer
the V20 does everything the S4 did, just a bit faster and with a nicer camera

>no pop-up camera
Checkmate

Proving you wrong is hard/impossible. But do 90% of the people know that? No. Thus I do not need to prove shit because normies will still buy shit.

I've been using a redmi 2 for 3 years, last week i upgraded its rom to lineage OS Oreo and it's now faster than my sisters iphone 8. There's no need to replace any phone you bought from the past 5 years unless you are retarded and cant flash a rom for shit

Attached: Lineage-OS-15-For-Redmi-2.jpg (900x605, 37K)

oh yeah???...

they made the bezel around the screen a little bit thinner,

i hope you're being sarcastic

Name one thing it's good for that is actually worth doing on a smartphone.
Hard mode: name something that isn't niche as fuck

Gnex was my first smartphone. I fuckin loved it despite the abysmal battery life. I wish they'd make a phone with the same design language and a removal battery but with modern specs. I'd buy that shit in a heartbeat.

I just wanted to come here and tell OP that he's a dumb fuck.

Meh. Used Galaxy S3 until about six weeks ago when I bought my S8. The larger screen with better resolution is nice, though the DAC is noticeably worse and not even the included akg branded earbuds can hide it. It's not terrible, just takes some serious tweaking before anything sounds good. The upside is that the S8 has a feature to calibrate sound for your specific hearing by playing a series of hearing test beeps of varying frequencies to determine your actual hearing range and adjust all sound to be within that range which brings out a lot of shit I've never heard in music I've listened to for years.

Overall, the S3 did nearly everything the S8 does, just considerably slower. Current gen smartphones are pretty good media consumption platforms if you care about that sort of thing. Watching movies from my home plex server between patients at work has been nice, and is about 90% of the reason I don't get on Jow Forums to shitpost until after work now, since streaming has eaten up my shitpost tine at work.

Taking notes?
>To-do lists
>Shopping list
>Recipes
>Directions
>Clock-in clock-out times
Literally a digital notebook/postit

I'd be in this boat if I hadn't broken the screen on my S3 in 2015. In fact, I did keep using it as an on-the-go camera until the end of 2016, when I bought an LG Tribute HD. Terrible phone.

I now have a Samsung Galaxy J7. 8 core processor, decent screen, larger than both older phones and a tad bigger than my wife's Note 5.

The whole small bezels meme is pretty nice though. You can now have a big screen phone that still fits in your hand/pocket.

I do all of those things with my finger. I guess what I was actually asking was "what does it do that makes it unique?", What can you do with it that can't be done with a finger or a dollar store pencil tip kind of stylus? (Not those inaccurate rubber dome pieces of shit)

Emojis?

My mom has the J7. Great phone, especially for the price. Kinda bummed they're pausing the J series with the S10. They're supposed to be doing a cheaper S10 instead of a S10, S10+ and a J phone.

I know I'm gonna sound like a shill but hear me out

Stylo 4:
>first good quality accurate stylus input phone for under $200 with fast charging and decent sock
>1080p and 1337 battery life due to huge jumps from SD 430 to 435 to 450

>S8
>waterproof
>dust proof
>fast charges
>MUCH better camera
>can pay for shit via contactless

>But you don't see anyone with a dedicated MP3 player anymore other than audiophiles do you?
Audiophiles won't use shitphones, they use DAP with DAC.
>How about people walking around with DSLR or just dedicated cameras in general other than photographers at an event?
Photographers don't use phones, nor should anyone except instathots.

Taking notes
Making screenshot notes
Sketching plans
Editing photos
Digital drawing
If you actually do business it's useful. I always just sketch on pictures sent to me to explaining structure or materials, it's much easier than typing.

Note has more receptive sensor for better handwriting, bigger screen, button integrated with system to open up air menu.
Dolar store stylus are rubber domes type, and those pencil types weren't even out when note 4 was released.
Also, the fuck uses small screens to write?

Normies didn't understand what the IR blaster on the phone could do and now only chinkphones have them in current year. My LG G4 needs to dodge the boot loop forever since I want my smartphone to be able to control my entertainment center.

All the progress is going into GPUs and parallel threads. Unfortunately laptops are too cheap to include those, and desktops are almost dead.

Most people found tablets useful, so now a smartphone is a combination of a tablet and phone. My tablet can't easily double as a GPS with live traffic, but my phone can.

RIP Steve Jobs.

>has to write down clock in and out times
How's living in a third world country?

god that cats cute

>writting on the phone instead of just typing on a generic notes app
>lists it as a useful feature
I'm sorry for your autism, user

I don't HAVE to, I have my own spreadsheet at home so I know I'm not getting jewed.
So far it's saved me about £150 of "missing data".
A hell of a lot more if I contend the auto-inserted breaks (that I'm not getting) that this current job is calculating I'm having.

i got a google pixel for $125
fuck 2018 phones with no headphone jack that shit is retarded

>Has no argument
>Just calls the person an autist

You're just agreeing with what he said.

There are some things still missing on cheap phones.

Have chink phone which is almost perfect but:
- no EIS for video
- no equalizer for bluetooth

Still using S3. All reasons to upgrade to S9 imploded with all the security issues that are coming out.

Also hope to get GPS L5 support next.

Nice.

How about IrDA? There are very fast standards, I though Japanese used these. can be safer and faster than Bluetooth when many are present and band is full.

Gnex couldn't get more than 3h sot

Since 6000 BC no real innovation has been made in the hammer industry.
All the cool features they keep adding are promotional gimmicks.
A hammer like a stone hammer can do everything the latest hammers can do.
Prove me wrong.

Attached: 10585936_1.jpg (1024x399, 33K)

Attached: 1485886098705.png (318x308, 52K)

I've just been bashing my head against nails, no need for one of those flagship hammers.

*sip*
Yeah, what a smartphone that was. Back then all we needed was 2 and half hours screen time, we didn't browse those Snapchats as much as you youngin's. And the camera? Ha kid, we were lucky if we could make out what was in the photo, but we were thankful for that!

*Sip*

Attached: 1529895746866.png (380x349, 70K)

Then just buy a phone from 2012 and stick with it and stfu

Except I'm not. Use a dslr if you want to take photos, not your phone. Use a DAP if you want to listen to good music, not your phone.

Can't you just type the fucking message as quick as you'd write them down on paper? Might as well buy a 12" tablet to note shit down on.

Same could be said for everything and it's true
Humanity peaked in 1999