/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1531165095406.png (967x593, 24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

grymoire.com/Unix/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip166
wiki.debian.org/ath9k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

flube

Attached: flube.gif (460x405, 98K)

go back to

my future workplace (as in, the workplace where I start working next month) uses ubuntu for their servers.
I have arch on my main desktop and on my laptop, so I decided I could distrohop on my laptop to get used to ubuntu but desu I don't want ubuntu.
If I do Debian netinstall on my laptop, will it give me enough insight to dpkg and apt to be able to use ubuntu?

Does Jow Forums like trisquel?

Attached: zonbie.jpg (1920x1440, 602K)

KDE Neon 18.04 LTS when

Better get Debian. I dislike that Trisquel needs to wait for Ubuntu and then must work on its way to get free. Debian is muxh more easy, just don't modify the sources and you're good.

I dont know if this is more a /v/ issue, but whenever I open osu I have to mute the audio then unmute it otherwise it is all fucked up (im running debian 9.4)

I'm also using the latest wine version

Yes.

Use ubuntu on a VM and do things you'll do in your future workplace, like hosting a website or something.

>having a job
Gtfo

what is the best linux for laptops?

Are you using PulseAudio or something like JACK?

I don't need a DE in that case. What's the most minimal Ubuntu installation?

I've been a NEET for long enough now

GNU/Linux

gentoo

I want to try out a *BSD just for fun
Is FreeBSD still SJW cancer?

For whatever reason, my laptop (Xubuntu 18.04) refuses to recognize my phone when I plug it in with micro-USB. I've tried MTP and PTP as well as putting my phone into debugging mode and all that but still, nothing.
I've determined that I probably need the android sdk/adb installed but I kind of just want to set things up to do it remotely since that's how I'd mainly use it anyways.
The catch: I'm outdated as fuck and the only transfer protocol I'm even remotely familiar with is FTP, and my phone can't be rooted so SSH isn't really an option.
Does anyone know of a simple media server I could set up to connect to thru my android device for transferring files back and forth?
I saw Airdroid but I don't trust it.

I have a raspberry Pi that I want to be an SSH server so I can remotely access my network when I am not home.

What are the general recommendations for hardening a public facing linux server?

tl;dr install termux, openssh and just use ssh

wasn't Gentoo hacked?

No, just their github account was cracked, but it's fine again.

PulseAudio (i think, if not its whatever comes with xfce)

[distro name here] website hacked

Attached: CopyQ.kn2910.png (638x328, 13K)

Microsofts first strike. Proof me wrong.

Unless passwords are suddenly being stored in plaintext then microshit has nothing to do with the gentoo git getting phished
frankly they deserved it for not switching to gitlab

Stop recommending spyware web services you fucking cuckold.

Newest fag in the block.
Can i learn any useful skills through Linux?

No.

Stop saying bandaid when you mean adhesive bandage.

seriously
use startpage.com or searx.me
ddg sold user info in the past and marred their reputation, plus their site runs like ass anyways.

Check out the bash hackers wiki.

Not many.
I mean, like, it's just a kernel, right?

>startpage
its dogshit
searx is fine

> screenshot of Google
> jokes on you, I just meant 'Search'
kys

He sold the entire site, the user info kind of went with it.
I mean like, how much do you think facebook would be worth if you didn't get the user info?
Think about that, then stop rederping that shit.

GNU/Communism

I want to be able to toggle the swastika with a binding in my i3 config
st -c swas -g 100x3 &
st -c swas -g 1x45 &
st -c swas -g 55x3+430+860 &
st -c swas -g 55x3+800+150 &
st -c swas -g 1x23+430+150 &
st -c swas -g 1x25+1170+500

this is the script to draw the swastika, what I need is something that detects if there is a window with class "swas" and if there is runs "i3-msg [class="swas"] kill" if not then spawn in swastika with script above
what do

Attached: 2018-07-08-092909_1254x936_scrot.png (1254x936, 954K)

Retards
Retard++

Fuck off.

Thanks

That's why i was asking. I wasn't expecting a change of OS to bring that much to the table, i just wanted to do something with my life

Such a cute board. Leave them alone.

Just switched my caps lock and escape keys, vim is so much comfier now holy heck

grymoire.com/Unix/

Read the awk, grep, sed and regex parts. That's stuff you'll always find use of, no matter if fedora sysadmin or leet hacker.

when you troll a libtard gangnam stle

lol so many find that symbol offensive.
You edgier than an Irish pop band.
omg.

liberation also means free speech, which also includes posting swasikas, however, I'm not a libtard and I think you should fuck off, so fuck off

t. edgy kid posting luck symbol shaped terminals

what is a class?
is that like
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "Navigator", "Firefox"

>I think you should fuck off, so fuck off
I need some ice for that burn oof

When will GRUB fully support f2fs?

I'm having issues with multiple monitor support with i3 I've tried other de's and only i3 misplaces and can't seem to draw the monitors correctly. I've exhausted my googlefu has anyone had this problem?

yes

Try a search engine which respects your privacy.

Thank you user

What does origami have to do with all this?

Attached: 1517544096455.png (506x395, 100K)

Linux thumbnails when?

>what is dolphin

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1516089509530.jpg (992x595, 97K)

Okok, erm, yes.

Attached: 1531160078774.gif (300x169, 2.65M)

> I don't need a DE in that case. What's the most minimal Ubuntu installation?
Literally mini.iso if you can boot without EFI. If you need EFI use the alternate server installer and then just pluck out whatever server-related utilities you consider bloat.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

when you ditch gnome

chuckled

post this again later but change the swastika and you'll probably get the help you want.
it's totally unnecessary for the question; you could've just as easily asked "How do I detect a window with a particular class in I3 and kill it?"
Then again, you probably just wanted (You)s so, congrats.

THIS ACTUALLY SOUNDS REALLY NICE
H-HOW?

no i just didn't want it too lead to an xy problem

Good thread.

vim.wikia.com/wiki/VimTip166
Still trying to figure out how to make it permanent so it stays with a reboot.

I'm thinking of installing NixOS on my new ThinkPad, but I've also recognised the strengths of GuixSD. Does anyone here have an opinion on them?

Hi, I want to use Jow Forums while using a VPN for torrents.
I did the following:
>deleted the default route from the vpn
>binded my torrent program to the vpn network interface
>started seeding/ leeching
>started writing this text
Have I done this right or should I look out for vans ?

my WiFi adapter Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565/AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter.i'm using ubuntu 18.04 it says in the settings no wifi adapter found.

how do I install offline a ubuntu app.

my android tethering conection gives me an error and says something like conection not guaranteed.

Whats the output of
dmesg | grep wifi

All of your outgoing torrent connections are still using the default route. You suck at networking.

Filtered

i doesn't output anything

Please explain this while referencing to thie information in the picture.
>inb4 you censored unimportant stuff
When I had enough experience to know this, then I wouldn't need to ask here in first place.

Attached: 2018-07-10-002858_1918x1052_scrot.png (702x596, 167K)

hm, ok next try:
ip link

Install fail2ban, set up SSH key authentication, and disable password SSH login. So long as SSH is the only service facing the WAN you're safe from everything short of major governments or 0days in SSH.

In that image nothing outgoing is going to use your tun0 even torrents. They use the default route. That means even if you bind rtorrents listening port to a specific address it only affects incoming connections. Anything else, tracker queries, outgoing connections to peers is going to go through o2.box which is the default route.

You can use systemd-nspawn and create a network bridge to your vpn adaptor and then everything ran in that "chroot" will have the bridge/vpn/tun as the default route, leaving the rest of your system free to use o2.box or whatever. Alternately if you don't wan to use systemd-nspawn you could use qemu in command line mode.

1: lo: mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: enp2s0: mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 1c:39:47:53:6c:4b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: enp0s20u2: mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 3e:1e:6c:60:7b:18 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

reason #1: shit cable
reason #2: upgraded kernel and not rebooted
check dmesg -w

Guy is a fucking moron, you need to use lspci -k to see if your pci / usb wireless device actually has a driver loaded.

show this :03:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
Kernel modules: ath9k

Now check dmesg again and filter for ath9k.

You can also use "rfkill list" to make sure the device is actually on.

filtered

the wifi doesn't show up in the rfkill list only Bluetooth the thing is the board is supposed to be both

dmesg | grep ath
[ 18.698500] ath9k 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A: not connected
[ 18.698543] ath9k 0000:03:00.0: request_irq failed
[ 18.698564] ath9k: probe of 0000:03:00.0 failed with error -107
[ 19.338550] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath3k

There may be a driver specific option you need to pass to actually expose the wifi part of the chipset.
Yup, definitely.

Double check that the driver actually supports wifi with your chipset, and if it does, you may need to figure out what options you need to pass to ath9k to get it to turn on the wifi.

What's the legendary Winamp music player equivalent on Linux?
I'm running Manjaro if that makes any difference.

according to this wiki.debian.org/ath9k it does

rate my first bash script that is longer than 1 line. it gives you some options and then asks if you want to run what you choose in dmenu, took me a lot longer than I thought it would take to write it but I finally figured it out!

#!/bin/bash

PROG="Lock\nShutdown\nSleep\nReboot"
ACTION="printf '$PROG' | dmenu -i"
CMD=$(eval $ACTION)

if [ "$CMD" = "Lock" ]; then
exec slock
else
NY="printf 'No\nYes' | dmenu -i -p '$CMD '"
ANSWER=$(eval $NY)
fi

if [ "$ANSWER" = "Yes" ]; then
case "$CMD" in
"Sleep") exec slock & exec systemctl suspend ;;
"Shutdown") exec systemctl poweroff ;;
"Reboot") exec systemctl reboot ;;
esac
fi

IDoesn't the 10.5.0.7 in the local address column mean that rtorrent is using tun0 ?

Pointless, all of this is already bound

but now it's all on one bind and it will ask y/n so you don't accidentally shutdown or reboot your computer...

If i dont want to shutdown or reboot my computer, i dont press those binds, which are across the keyboard and arent by any other binds

pcspkr

Line 3:
PROG="Lock\nShutdown\nSleep\nReboot"
^-- SC1117: Backslash is literal in "\n". Prefer explicit escaping: "\\n".

Line 5:
CMD=$(eval $ACTION)
^-- SC2086: Double quote to prevent globbing and word splitting.

Line 10:
NY="printf 'No\nYes' | dmenu -i -p '$CMD '"

Line 11:
ANSWER=$(eval $NY)
^-- SC2086: Double quote to prevent globbing and word splitting.