Are you still running Win7, user? literally why?

Are you still running Win7, user? literally why?

Attached: g6eXvytqsXJyMkyFyPL2ED.jpg (779x438, 1.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
pastebin.com/raw/yaJpc9Up
infoworld.com/article/3128983/microsoft-windows/how-to-prepare-for-the-windows-781-patchocalypse.html
github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

it just works

I play video games, sometimes with friends.
I use a desktop, not a touch device.

they really jewed 7 by skipping 9

it works

hasn't been a better windows OS since

This.

Dual boot W7+Debian and you are fine forever.

I'm not very educated on the capabilities of W7 etc, admittedly, but I was told telemetry can't fully be disabled in anything beyond W7. I was also told W10 is going to be the last version of Windows, so I should learn to deal with it.

I use a pastebin to supposedly get rid of telemetry on W7 whenever I update:
gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9
And there was this ancient thing I've seen posted on Jow Forums that I used to disable some services:
pastebin.com/raw/yaJpc9Up

But I was recently told this isn't enough and I need to do some shit with running a specific program for an amount of time(?) periodically(?), I didn't understand. Here's the dude's post from 2 months ago:
>infoworld.com/article/3128983/microsoft-windows/how-to-prepare-for-the-windows-781-patchocalypse.html
>The short version is install and run the 3rd party tool WSUS Offline once a month with "security only" option selected.

This is completely bullshit. So far I'm still just running the latest .bat file from the github link above after every time I update, and telling myself it's good enough.

not anymore. I am using debian with awesome

Why would I buy a new workhorse when this mule still has life in it?

windows 7 and fedora dual boot. I only use windows 7 for shitty devs or shitty engines that don't want to support lonix native.

Attached: auc.jpg (1300x896, 100K)

why not? give me one good answer

It's QEMU GPU passthrough now, get with times grandpa

Lubuntu x Gentoo since 2016

fuck off

Attached: auc.jpg (1291x887, 110K)

Best desktop OS ever made.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (2560x1440, 917K)

Because nothing that is better for my purposes has come out

Imagine wanting to use proprietary software. Sad!

It works, has better software support. Older stuff run better on Win7. Less bloated.

best os for gaming

Attached: 1527644836432.jpg (720x391, 56K)

Why do you even bother updating beyond Meltdown/Spectre and Ransomware patches?

>literally why
What?

bump

Yes, at work.
They never did the free upgrade before I started working there

wrong

every single thing works without any problems, why would i install anything else? should i install windows 10 because it has like 10 exclusive games?

why would i use debian if i have windows 7? there's not a single thing i can do on debian that i can't do on 7

What else could I use?
Linux has no software or drivers.
Windows 10 is still in beta testing phase and it unironically includes adware.
Windows 8.1 has an annoying full screen Start and a Charms bar.

but 9 exists tho

>tfw bitchy lappy stuck at "failure configuring windows updates reverting changes"
windows 7 ultimate 32 bit for the suicide, lads.

Because it is still supported, duh.

They didn't skip it, it's just that 7 8 9 so it couldn't be released.

get a bootable linux/windows iso, boot from your usb and remove the updates folder you dumb cunt

>Windows 8.1 has an annoying full screen Start and a Charms bar.
Can be disabled
>Linux has no software or drivers.
Kys

their excuse was that "there was such a huge leap in the latest OS's capabilities that it seemed appropriate to jump the number 9 while naming it."
fuckers tried to employ every last trick in the book so that soibois would install windows 10. i did install windows 10 and i am still using win 10, i will keep using win 10 cause i have never used anything else.

it's a friend's lappy and like any other normie lappy the desktop is filled with "important" files that i can only move to D:\ after it boots to the desktop, which it hasn't in the past 1 and a half hour.

So you're underage. This is a 18+ site.

>underage
or so old that me and my peeps haven't learned the proper use of a computer system yet?
>makes you think.mpeg

>haven't learned the proper use of a computer system yet
What are you doing on Jow Forums? If you were that old you either wouldn't use a computer still or would have used it by now.

I heard differently, it's so some software can continue running as some check if Windows starts with 9 then it's to old.

Go back to your hut, Pajeet

Because I have no reason to upgrade, shlomo

>If you were that old you either wouldn't use a computer
who said i was the old fuck who didn't know how to use a computer?
i did mention it is a friend's lappy.

sir pls do the needful

Nah, that's wrong. While it's true that there could be a problem with the whole "starting with a 9" thing, you're confusing the brand name with the actual version number under the hood. For instance, Win7 is version 6.1. They could've easily just had the version number that consumers don't even know/see skip 9 if necessary while still keeping sensible branding.

No, the actual reason is that they did some sort of focus testing bullshit and determined that there'd be some sort of increased willingness to install it if it's 10 rather than 9, for whatever reason. Same reason why they named the xbox sequels "360" and "one" rather than doing the sensible thing and going with 2 and 3. In that instance, it was because they didn't want to be "one number less than the playstations". In this case, maybe it's so that they're a 10, equivalent to OS X? Who knows.

this.

like i said, they had a very innocent looking excuse at the ready, but the real reason was that normies are pure idiots and respond to flashy new names and looks.

>literally why?
Because it's over 9000 times better then Windows 10.

jfc that ram, post specs with all components

If any of you faggots really want to keep your privacy while using windows get a raspberry, set it up as a proxy, connect to internet only through it using wired connection and block everything that isn't essential for what you're doing.

Cost

>literally why
You know you can just ask why, right? The inclusion of the word literally is not only unnecessary; it is wrong. I wish nothing but rape and disembowelment on you and your whole family, you fucking scum!

because it's the least shit version available.

Because pic related.

Attached: Windows10_Spyware.jpg (638x5176, 968K)

its small its fast it doesnt give your position. it work very well for gaming still and its perfect for dualbooting with windows

with linux

>Are you still running Win7, user?
Yes. I dual boot it with GNU/Linux.
>literally why?
There's a single software I need that I couldn't get to run on Wine, and the performance made it unusable on a VM. Can't be helped.

Attached: I Ayase Eli have a dream.jpg (992x1358, 678K)

Firstly, it works.
Secondly, out of principle. The whole pre-Win8 shitshow that Microsoft pulled with their shady preinstalling of Win8 components and update notification pop-ups left so bad a taste in my mouth that I just decided to skip the free update altogether. And at this point of my PC's life the next time I'm updating my OS is likely when I get a new machine.

>bunch of updates available
>install the relevant ones with proper descriptions
>leave the suspiciously vaguely described ones be and keep an eye on them
>turns out they're related to the Win8 update campaign 'n' shit

To this day I still don't get it why they couldn't have been frank and up-front about it and truthfully tell what all the vaguely labeled Win8-related updates were and be like "Hey, we got Windows 8 coming up in the near future and it's going to be a free update for you! Install these updates X, Y and Z if you want be ready for the update and have us keep you informed about it".
But no, of course they can't do that! Apparently because of Microsoft traditions of pissing in their own cereals when it comes to marketing...

Attached: are_you_fucking_kidding_me_clean1-1024x1008.png (1024x1008, 221K)

i thought they skipped 9 to avoid triggering Windows 9* in code snippets that tried to cover Windows 95 and 98

Attached: 1506465404031.png (342x359, 196K)

Or then they tried to cheat fate by skipping a version that was bound to be shitty.
>XP - good
>Vista - shit
>7 - good
>8 - shit
>8.1 - good
>9 - destined to be shitty
>10 - good?

>8.1 - good
>10 - good?
nope.jpg

No, i'm using 10 LTSB.
However if 10 LTSB didn't exist then yeah i'd be using 7, regular 10 is fucking unusable.

Please stop calling 8.1 it's own OS over 8. It was a fucking service pack that was just rebranded to try and deal with some of the brand damage that Win 8 caused at launch.
Nothing about the core of the OS changed.

8.1 was 7 but better.
Metro UI in there wasn't a shitty clusterfuck like it is in Win 10.

I dual boot and Win7 seems that works better with muh games

Windows 10 LTSB is nothing too better either.

Nope, POSready 2009. Still on extended support.

Using 7 at work because that's what's installed. I'm using 8.1 because that's what came with my laptop, didn't install 10 because why.

kek

That's regular Enterprise, not LTSB.
Also
>muh spyware
Well no shit everything proprietary and closed source is spyware, even 7.

Yes, because it's the last Windows that is made for desktop and treats me like a user, not like a literal retard

nice meme

Attached: pepe autist crying.png (658x662, 59K)

It is true though.

>ular Enterprise, not LTSB.
>Also
>>muh spyware
>Well no shit everything proprietary and closed source is spyware, even 7.
Not at this level though, that's why 7>10, even if it's LTSB. If they don't respect their own group policies, what makes you think LTSB is really that and not just a rebrand of the same thing.

Because Windows 8 and 10 are both utter and complete shit.

t. someone who fixes computers for a living and deals with the hell that is windows 10 all day every day and oh god fucking kill me somehow microsoft manages to break something new with every fucking update

Because it looks so much better than the later ones

LOL, a classic

R u me?

I switched to 10 last year, but the main reason why I stuck behind on 7 was because of the telemetry bullshit in 10. Then, I figured out how to disable it with the hosts file, services.msc, and group policy edits. Windows 10 is a good OS besides the spyware bullshit. It's just a matter of disabling that crap plus the auto-downloading pleb apps.
Btw: Get Windows 10 Enterprise for the best experience, not Home, Pro, Server, or the LTSB

because anything that can't after it is fucking garbage you moron

lol

Attached: GIF.gif (330x670, 1.02M)

The only way to use Windows 10:
1.) Firewall screen shot attached.
2.) github.com/10se1ucgo/DisableWinTracking
3.) github.com/adolfintel/Windows10-Privacy

Even then I'm still not convinced what the fuck its doing behind my back..

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-10_18-55-14.png (1307x721, 87K)

HOW MANY TIME DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU

1) install gentoo
2) if not possible get Win10LSBT and turn off all telemetry with gpedit. LSBT doesn't even come with cortana or windowz store OK?

DUMB FUCK

I admit, windows search is shit, but you get used to it after a while

There aren't video drivers for my switcheable graphics cards in Windows 10.

Thanks Sony Vaio

>just werks
>easy on your RAM (for Windows standards at least)
>still gets updates
>DX9 games run way faster than on Win10
>classic theme

Attached: inb4spic.png (1600x900, 1.01M)

The main problem is the ES cycle for windows 7 is ending soon. Be careful, user

Attached: Windows-7-ES-ending-soon.png (1066x318, 31K)

This is the only actual legit answer.

>Soon only the botnet will remain
Damn.

Attached: 1390134025.gif (475x363, 79K)

I'm using WES7 and it defaults to security only updates, you should too (but keep it a secret)!

Several times per month, when I need a printer pasthrough via RDP.

>legit complaint about Linux - always has been
>told to Kys
This is why you've been at 1% for decades.

I will keep that in mind when i do a reinstall

>It was a fucking service pack that was just rebranded to try and deal with some of the brand damage that Win 8 caused at launch. Nothing about the core of the OS changed.
So exactly like Vista->Win7? Not a popular fact, but a fact nonetheless.

Attached: 1517189857542.jpg (377x264, 23K)

I laugh my ass off every time I see people firewalling certain IP addresses, etc. It's like it's the 20th century or something.

Here in the future, we can firewall the individual services. Lock them all out except Windows Update, and party.

microsoft tried extremely hard to get everyone to accidentally install 10 for free
that was all the reason i needed to avoid it and stick with 7
every single thing i've heard about it since falls into one of two categories, "this is no better than windows 7" and "this is worse than windows 7"

Attached: 1523799566284.gif (540x540, 1.13M)

Show me your layer 7 setup friend

because it's the comfiest and best version of windows.

>only 1 UI paradigm
>no telemetry if you uninstall the windows 10 updates that were pushed back
>start menu just werks
>settings never reset between updates
>no other configuration or 3rd party software required
>designed for desktop by desktop users, no unneeded padding or wasted screen space
>extremely stable (just like our glorious leader Trump)

8.1 is also acceptable. windows 10 is understandable if you absolutely need it but it's complete garbage, and unstable garbage at that.

The best part is that every system I've worked on for people that's been running Win10 has been one of those "they just kinda updated it on me" jobs, so it became an unstable pile of shit. These are typically basic computer users that just kinda save photos and use facebook, too, so every time it's:

"Let's back up your files and just reinstall things correctly."
"Okay, how do we do that?"
"Where do you save your important things?"
"Um... where would they be saved to?"

Aaaand then it's an hour long search of any place they might have intentionally or accidentally saved something, backing it up, and trying to get Win10 to work on their system because "well that's what I'm used to now." Nothing is more fun than trying to track down drivers for a board that doesn't have 10 support on the manufacturer's site.

Then there's the "X broke on my computer. I don't know why - I didn't do anything different or install anything" calls. They think I'm being lazy when I tell them to wait for the next update to see if it fixes itself because they don't understand how an update can be a downgrade in quality.

I fucking hate Windows 10.

Attached: 1486625242034.gif (499x272, 72K)

>Then there's the "X broke on my computer. I don't know why - I didn't do anything different or install anything" calls
>they don't understand how an update can be a downgrade in quality

this pisses me off more than anything. I setup a win 7 computer that didn't need to be tweaked for like 5 years, and it's still running IIRC. Now every time I visit my parents or friends I have to fix some bullshit win10 tried to pull and it makes it look bad on me.

I really wish there was a way to easily turn off feature updates outside of ent/lstb because literally every time one is released I'm on the phone putting out fires and trying to explain why everything is broken AGAIN.

Why should I use 7 and not 8.1 if I don't give a single fuck about the start menu? I run on intel graphics so I don't even know if that shit will work well on 7, heard some nasty stories

This

Yes. Because I don't want my computer telling me what to do.

Because
a) I run it on a VM
b) It'd be too much of a hassle to upgrade