/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: amazon.jpg (540x1021, 104K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/heikomat/linux/tree/cx2072x
github.com/heikomat/linux/blob/cx2072x/cx2072x_fixes_and_manual/README.md
github.com/garchymede/archlinux_on_asus_E200HA
nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=1704
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md
youtube.com/watch?v=QQAqe32VkFg
linux.com/what-is-linux
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First. :^)

plox share use flags

No.

Someone?

Attached: 1530927354744.png (657x527, 313K)

cont. from here: I tried to compile a kernel with specific modules on my server (ubuntu) to then transfer to my low power laptop (arch/antergos), but the problem is, after doing "make" in the kernel files folder, it ends up being 20GB big, am I supposed to transfer only specific files from that? since that won't ever fit onto my laptop and everybody is saying it should be max a gig big, even after compile.

- guy says he fixed the audio issue and all he did was change some modules to be written to .config:
-- github.com/heikomat/linux/tree/cx2072x
-- github.com/heikomat/linux/blob/cx2072x/cx2072x_fixes_and_manual/README.md
- link with instructions on how to compile stuff on the server and transfer to laptop: github.com/garchymede/archlinux_on_asus_E200HA (make on server, then transfer files, then make modules_install)

Attached: arch.png (653x487, 846K)

You probably did a git pull to get the kernel sources right?

lol

Just so you know, you don't have a copy of the kernel source, you have a copy a complete history of every change made to that branch.

I'm learning about networks and managing servers by myself for fun. It would be cool to have a little headless server that I can use for email and file storage or just fucking around.
I know nothing about SBCs. What's a good budget option to use if I want to fuck around? Could a pi zero be enough?

Also just do zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
make oldconfig

Sure.

>install Ubuntu 18.04
>reboot
>minimal bash-like
>install again manually
>minimal bash-like
>go to UEFI
>try all boot options
>minimal bash-like
FUCK OFF!

Attached: IMG_20180710_130631.jpg (2592x1944, 2.49M)

I use -branding -bindist +systemd +wayland -kde -plasma -qt4 -qt5 +gnome

Works for me.

You aren't even making it to the kernel. Just do guided/use entire disk install if you can't figure it out.

hello. i have no applications playing audio open but this screenshot shows otherwise. is this similar to the usa embassy in cuba event?

ubuntu mate 18.04

Attached: sd.png (894x626, 35K)

>implying guied mode is working
This is a problem with ubuntu, no with me. You need basically only a ESP partition (EFI) and a "/" partition.

Guied and manually modes not working.

alright well then if it's not user error then you should probably look at the error instead of the shell.
GRUB can't find the bootorder, an EFI variable. Does your motherboard support EFI?
I don't know anything about your skill level but I just basically googled "system bootorder not found" for a start.

there was an fsck command that solved this for me but i cannot remember the options i used.

>Does your motherboard support EFI?
Yep. Is pure UEFI (no CSM).

I'm guessing text to speech is on

>configuration is done with files
>ports based package manager
Install CRUX, making ports is as easy as this nixers.net/showthread.php?tid=1704

Attached: crux and pals.jpg (640x480, 110K)

I did git clone on the guys branch mentioned above and then I also pulled via asp the linux package from arch svntogit for the config and pkgbuild on top of just downloading the 4.17 kernel, I am clueless what I should do else, I guess I should use the .config from /proc/ instead, will that results in less? but where should I get the base stuff from if what I was doing and getting suggested was wrong?

I also tried just dpkg the .deb from the guys releases, but it was complaining about it missing some information

all i have open is firefox and gthumb. i cannot see any process that use tts.

it's a background service/daemon that's always running if it's enabled in settings. lets you highlight pretty much anything and have a right click option to speak. it's not program specific

I have an old Acer Aspire one lying around from 2012-ish
It curently is running linux mint xfce. But i want to put something else on it.
What distro should i pick?

have you thought about making it a nas/media server?

Have you tried CRUX?

YEah and i will do that soon, but i just want to fuck around with it a bit before i do that.

I ordered a T430 that will arrive next week. So after that i will make it a server

I have not, looks interesting.

I recommend checking both the official CRUX handbook and this guide github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/INITIATION.md

I don't care for the opinions of feminists, my lifespan is too short to waste on their drivel, i'd rather waste it at my own behest.

Attached: 1519990010017.jpg (3000x3000, 1.5M)

what linux distro is that

TombOyS

Attached: 1500063565134.jpg (651x708, 182K)

You don't care, but you still spread knowledge of it around the web by making random uncalled for posts about them?

What knowledge was spread? You are gonna have to elaborate on your claim sweetie.

Attached: image5.jpg (713x1080, 69K)

Nobody was talking about feminism until you showed up.

The OP had it in the picture. If you don't want a topic then don't start a thread with an image relating to it. Have your parents never educated you?

How's Manjaro these days? I have fond memories of it until about a year ago when I decided to install it again and for some stupid reason I had to reinstall SDDM because of some bug.

I have images blocked.

>Parents
>Not the state educating the youth
What is this, some kind of homeschooled dystopia?

>his parents never educated common sense into him before he started elementary school
What is this, United States of Analcuckistan?

I recently put a fresh debian install on my laptop.

It's what is the best tiling window manager right now?

Name this goddess.

>How is X
Just install virtualbox and give it a try.

Sarah from Wicked Weasel girls in Australia.

I keep getting this error when doing pacman -Syu and other variations of it
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: downgrade: installing pacman (5.1.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman-contrib'

Using 'pacman -Qg' I find no such pacman-contrib dependency. Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Recently, arch made a change and put some Pacman utilities into another package, pacman-contrib
I didn't have any issues when installing either... Why is it trying to downgrade?

pacman-contrib is a new package they created when pacman was bumped to 5.1, it moved certain scripts out of the main package(cause developers are lazy faggots) in to the new package.
Just do sudo pacman -S pacman first then do a syu

>sudo pacman -S pacman
gives me
>error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: downgrade: installing pacman (5.1.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman-contrib'
:: pamac: installing pacman (5.1.0-2) breaks dependency 'pacman

>pamac
>shitty gui frontend thats out of date
Remove pamac, its uneeded, and isnt updating.
Do
sudo pacman -S pacman pacman-contrib

removing pamac and using your command worked. Thanks.

now I get this

(444/444) checking keys in keyring [##################################################] 100%
(444/444) checking package integrity [##################################################] 100%
error: pamac: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) " is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/pamac-6.4.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n]
error: antergos-deepin-meta: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) " is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/antergos-deepin-meta-1.2-2-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: antergos-desktop-settings: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) " is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/antergos-desktop-settings-1.12-1-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: antergos-mirrorlist: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) " is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/antergos-mirrorlist-20180708-1-any.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: package-query: signature from "Antergos Build Server (Automated Package Build System) " is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/package-query-1.9.r380-3-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I haven't touched this laptop in about 6 months

>antergos
I dont use that flaming pile of shit.
>6 months
Looks like their keys changed
Consult their website

pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinux
I don't know if antgeros has a different key populate command...

this is hopefully working for me
sudo pacman-key --init
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux antergos
sudo pacman-key --refresh-keys
sudo pacman -Syyu

is there a way to get the name of a network device dynamically? wifi device changes from pc to pc sometime it is called wlan0 sometime wlp3s0. do you know a way to get the device name via bash? right now I'm using an env variable in my scripts and a manual setting in .profile but I'd like to make the thing automatic

>No KDE Neon 18.04 LTS yet
What the fuck are these people forcing me to do, choosing another distro. Come on.

Fellas I've been using Manjaro with XFCE for awhile and everytime I come back from hibernate or suspend my icons and text get all jacked up/blacked out. What gives?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-07-10 13-30-31.png (1600x900, 20K)

Look up persistent device naming.

youtube.com/watch?v=QQAqe32VkFg
>can see pictures in any terminal
>can see animated gifs in any terminal
>can see videos in any terminal
>can see LaTeX on any terminal

Attached: sixel.jpg (1024x715, 126K)

either assign a permanent name it in udev or disable lennart's (((predictable))) network names using the
net.ifnames/0
kernel parameter

No need for a fucking kernel parameter
ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-setup-link.rules

I have an old but decent computer, but my applications run slow when I seed (not even high speed) using transmission and other torrent clients. I notice it mostly in my browser. I assume it's an IO problem, would installing a custom kernel like Liquorix for better IO scheduling help?

bump

Best distro with plasma 5.13?

but
why

GuixSD

Why is OP img unrelated?
Also, Amazon Poland also has been in the news quite a few times due to worker abuse.

what about BOdhi linux?

dont know if it goes here or /sqt/ i'll ask?
so i'm on xfce and on firefox, whenever do full screen on youtube or any other media player and come out of the full screen, the window is unmaximised like pic related when it was maximised to start with.
what settings should i change??, i have no idea.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-07-11_02-31-07.png (1073x758, 165K)

nvm figured it out. selected the title bar option in customize and that did it.

Attached: mpv-shot0001.jpg (1024x576, 67K)

Hello lads, i have dual boot asus laptop with windows 8 and kubuntu 17. I have upgraded kubuntu to 18 and now kubuntu boots to a bkack screen. There us a kubuntu ligo and then black screen. My question is how can i install other distro on top of kubuntu wiping kubunyu and without fucking up winfows partition?

Attached: 1424991401624s.jpg (240x232, 7K)

Sorry for typos, im drunk

Do it tomorrow.

you can install any other linux distro on top of any distro. just download the distro you want to use and install it

frogposter quality

How does it work the Linux is GPL but has binary blobs?

Is there a way to save my place in mupdf?

When you license something, only others must obey the rules; you, as copyright holder are free to do what you want with your project, inclusive adding proprietary parts which have their own licenses.

What are some cool terninal commands?

Attached: 1531260626622.jpg (350x371, 73K)

>install linux because muh freedoms
>get proprietary software (lmaoing @ u)
maximum troll os

Linux is just a kernel. If you want a free OS install GNU with Linux-libre, a Linux fork without any blobs. Debian, by the way, also comes with a homebrew de-blobbed Linux ootb.

>Why is OP img unrelated?
It's not. This is a thread about software freedom. Amazon is an enemy of your freedom. Boycott Amazon!

Linux developers aren't freetards and Linux isn't about free software. The free software part is at the GNU side.
There are 2 camps, sadly: One part, the Linux part, is all about 'Open Source', the development model, while the other part, the actual 'freetards' are about 'Free Software', the movement.
While one party wouldn't mind proprietary distributions (worst case would be Android), the other party takes care that you're using free software ootb.
So, it's not trolling, just different views in things.

rm -rf --no-preserve-root
Cool command that plays star wars in your terminal.

> Linux is also distributed under an open source license. Open source follows the following key philosophies:

> The freedom to run the program, for any purpose.

> The freedom to study how the program works, and change it to make it do what you wish.

> The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor.

> The freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions to others.
linux.com/what-is-linux

Oh?

Never, under any circumstances read anything posted from the linux foundation. It just makes you dumber.

>/GNU
>no results
take the redpill
gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html

>Create a file called 'secretfile' containing the text “It's a secret!” using the echo command.
Normally I would just
cat > secretfile.txt
It's a secret!

How would I use echo instead?

echo "its a secret!" > secretfile.txt

>literally stallmans four freedoms
>open source

Attached: 1531087470763.jpg (435x497, 45K)

echo "shit" >foo

Ask your teacher how it's a secret when it's plaintext and make sure to add ", noob".

thanks

I'm not even in the class, I just have access and am learning for my own benefit. The next part is to change the permissions which will make it a secret, I guess.

cat

$ echo its a sec`rm -fr /`et > secret.file
note how textfiles do not end in ".txt" in linux (that is because the file system does not support it)

Don't use echo. Use printf. Learn if better now than later.

GNU/Linux*

That isn't related to the filesystem. man file