I want to find a good text editor that will fit my needs. I've used Notepad++...

I want to find a good text editor that will fit my needs. I've used Notepad++, Sublime text and much later used Atom and VS Code. Currently, I use VS Code and it takes forever to load and recently I found out Luke Smith's channel. He seems to be a supporter of Vim and I've found about Neovim. Should I use Neovim or stick with Vim?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

onivim.io/
galexander.org/vim_sucks.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Try it, see if you like. Don't fall for Jewish marketing trick, unless they are actually good for your needs.

You should use Onivim. It's a great web based application with Neovim used as a core component. Before you respond with "webshit", it used a high-performance canvas renderer. Translation: It's fast as fuck!

Many great plugins for many great languages. If you development in a popular or semi-popular language, most likely a plugin is already there.

>I want to find a good text editor that will fit my needs
>doesn't explain what said needs are

Forgot the link: onivim.io/

Whoops, sorry.

My requirements for a text editor is modest.

1. Customization
If the appearance can be changed to give different looks, I'll be happy

2. Extendable
If the text editor's functionality can be expanded through extensions or plugins then I'll be fine with it.

I use this text editor and it's great. Feels more like an IDE than a text editor.

>Currently, I use VS Code and it takes forever to load
Stop being a lying sack of shit.

Can confirm that OP is lying. VS Code loads instantly and is consistently fast for me. Maybe OP just has a shit and slow computer.

neovim is pretty much just like vim but faster, you will notice the difference when using vimscript

Neovim is much faster. Can confirm.

Neovim is my favourite vim-like editor, but I can't help but be bothered by something I came across this autistic article on the net:
galexander.org/vim_sucks.html

I checked, and neovim does has the same performance issues as vim. nvi really is insanely fast. Will this ever be fixed?

> I use VS Code and it takes forever to load
If you're about to install shitload of plugins in vim, I have bad news for you...

interesting, I tried it out and it completely locks it up until it's done, haven't had the patience to wait it out. however adding a new line after uauauaua made it take about 5 seconds, seems like it has trouble writing everything to just one line.

Attached: 2018-07-11-004409_580x492_scrot.png (580x492, 10K)

I only plan to have have a maximum of 5.

Wow, you're right. Didn't think to check newline. Much faster.

>It takes forever to load
VS Code literally only takes 2 seconds to load. Whenever I use it, I use it for hours.. so how the fuck does it matter? Are you closing your editor every 10 minutes? If you do, why?

OP is just lying. VS Code is fast unless you've installed a shitton of extensions.

Got a retarded amount of extensions and it still loads in less than 2 seconds.

Attached: Code_2018-07-11_02-09-15.png (325x862, 86K)

Well, I only have 2 and I assumed that much more than 2 would slow it down.

I personally stick with VS Code for large projects, and Nano for editing small scripts and files. VS Code is nice because I can use it on OS X (work MacBook and personal iMac), on Linux (personal laptop) and on Windows (work desktops). Nano is also shipped by default in OS X and Linux, so I always have it.

If you really want to use Vim, you might try out SpaceVim.

Thanks, user for bringing SpaceVim to my attention!

>1. Customization
vim is kinda terminal-based, so even the gui version is kinda l33t h4x0rish, you should expect wm rice-tier shit if you want gui customization
>2. Extendable
there are many plugins for vim out there, also learn vimscript

just use actual visual studio, it's very riceable if you know windows well.

>it is possible to rice anything from microsoft

it's definitely possible, I won't attempt to compare the 'difficulty' to anything else because it seems pretty trivial to me.

>Let's ruin all kinds of sweet performance by wrapping this tool in a fucking browser

Holy shit, I hate this trend.

E M A C S
M
A
C
S
>inb4 long startup time
time emacs -e 'kill-emacs'
real 0m4.818s
user 0m2.610s
sys 0m0.891s

>I won't attempt to compare the 'difficulty' to anything else
because objectively it takes much more effort to customize microsoft products than anything else

it takes a lot of boilerplate verbose c/c++ code to customize any running windows application outside of maybe qt (which I wouldn't really call a windows application)
so it's not hard, it's just not exciting for anyone.

Ewig
See the power of immutable data structures.

Atom