Elixir can spin up 100K virtual processes in under half a second on my laptop

Elixir can spin up 100K virtual processes in under half a second on my laptop.

Say something nice about Elixir.

Attached: 1_wVcT8A29lBkN0gXFPJUF3w.png (800x600, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16698651
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fuck off elixir

>Say something nice about Elixir.
I'm looking forward to learning it at uni early next year.

Bloated

its stable

Serious question: what's the advantage of using Elixir in apis and microservices over node and golang?

1. Sane of mind of having immutable data structures.
2. Low + consistence latency
3. Ecto is way better than ones provided by nodejs or go.
4. Better live reload support overall.

massive concurrency, OTP (Open telecom platform, a framework for doing massive distributed nine-nines applications), easy to scale horizontally across servers. all of the power of erlang with a ruby-like syntax (for better or for worse)

Attached: 1389034110478.gif (500x221, 981K)

thanks, when it comes to hot reloading and horizontal scaling, doesn't this conflict with the functionality offered by kubernetes? does elixir conflict with containers?

The only nice bit of elixir came from erlang.

ill stick to erlang, thanks

schools teach elixir now? wtf what class/university/year?

another basedboy meme language

It's great, but I want a real type system.

I haven't seen anyone has issues regarding this.

Software engineering, royal institute of technology, second year

Erlang/Elixir master race

They wrote the Discord servers in Elixir. You know, the most reliable and probably the most scalable chat service ever. And this was a surprisingly small team.

BEAM is great, but go will almost always run faster

About hot reloading: Since containers are supposed to be immutable, it at the very least conflicts with the design philosophy. DESU I haven't seen a use for it in such a setup. Maybe for more fine-grained control?

Re scaling: I don't see why it would be a problem. "Nodes" in Erlang aren't hosts.

Yeah this guy agrees: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16698651
Also IDK how I accidentally typed "DESU".

t b h -> desu new friend

Attached: 1530128929665.jpg (399x386, 23K)

expensive OS processes and threads were a mistake

> implying that creating processes in Linux is expensive

newfag namefag, why am I not surprised

>Spoonfeeding
Shameful

dont know if you're joking or not lmao

As in KTH?

yes

BEAM VM is something special.

Attached: gasp.png (1918x1078, 1.06M)

Erlang/Elixir come with quite complete infrastructure for distributed runtime, OS agnostic VM, actor model and supervisor implementations, logging, runtime inspection and debugging tools, reloading, both in-memory and persistent storages and databases (distributed) and more. You are getting a full stable platform for developing big robust server backends quickly.
Golang and Node.js come with nothing of that beside simple multi-threading, have to hunt for individual parts and do a lot of work on your own to even match that.
I wouldn't do small tools in Erlang. As a language it's very restricted to it's model, has small number of data types, data structured and abstraction. Tool designed for specific field.

the problem with elixir and erlang is most of the time when you want massively distributed shit you want small executables and no giant libraries or "backends". this is why using a solution like czmq will win out if you are writing big boy solutions, or you can go full autist and write ocaml

Erlang is for handling throughput not processing it. It is used for websockets, routing, authentication and voice data.

If you were writing a MMO you would obviously do as you said and write the various components in something like c++.

/thread

>Elixir can spin up 100K virtual processes in under half a second on my laptop.
Yeah, thanks to BEAM.

>taking a language made by third world monkeys seriously
I Shiggy Diggy

lua is great though

monkeys>pajeets>white males

Why not just pick the JVM? It's got all the same stuff, except for the built-in distribution (you can use Quasar if you really need it), more libraries and much better performance.

>when you want massively distributed shit you want small executables and no giant libraries or "backends"
Why do you think that, namefag?

sure you can, that's why Java is among the most used languages

I already understand that. I want to learn why someone would choose Erlang/Elixir/BEAM instead. Clojure is a very similar language to Elixir if you don't want to write Java.